What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Westbrooks Knee & PHI RB situation (1 Viewer)

FantasyGuru#1

Footballguy
He had some swelling after the game.. Will this be a year long occurrence.... Can perhaps he have soemthign in his knee... Any more info on this matter...

If I remember right, he doesn't have all his ligaments. No ACL in at least one knee, but that's been known since the draft.

You cannot possibly play football WITHOUT an ACL. It might not be his original ligament, but what you are suggesting is medically impossible.

If Westbrook was hurting on sunday, I sure didn't notice. He looked like the fastest player on the field.

You cannot possibly play football WITHOUT an ACL. It might not be his original ligament, but what you are suggesting is medically impossible.

If Westbrook was hurting on sunday, I sure didn't notice. He looked like the fastest player on the field.
yes you can

You cannot possibly play football WITHOUT an ACL. It might not be his original ligament, but what you are suggesting is medically impossible.If Westbrook was hurting on sunday, I sure didn't notice. He looked like the fastest player on the field.
John Elway played his entire career without an ACL. He tore it as a senior in high school and (by today's standards) it was not properly surgically repaired.Westbrook is always banged up and always seems to play 14 games. At some point he will miss a few games...everyone who has Westbrook on their team knows this. I'd rather it occur near Philly's bye week rather than during the fantasy playoffs.

You probably should've informed Elway about that. Poor guy played for years & won a couple of Super Bowls, while doing the medically impossible.

I do agree that the inflammation is an indicator of an issue, but we heard this same thing last week and I am sure the Westbrook owners are pleased with the production yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure Hines Ward plays without an ACL, too.

But either way, I'm not sure about Westbrooks status either. Wish I could help.

Bump for updates. Anybody hear anything lately? Just wondering how big of a concern this knee thing is. TIA.

You probably should've informed Elway about that. Poor guy played for years & won a couple of Super Bowls, while doing the medically impossible.
Dude. You are so wrong. I play basketball with a guy with no ACL. Its torn, yet he functions. So there.

News Story: Reid also said Brian Westbrook's knee strain “bothered him just a bit” Sunday.

Fantasy Analysis: Westbrook will be on the injury report but is expected to start.

Source: Fantasy Insights

Dude. You are so wrong. I play basketball with a guy with no ACL. Its torn, yet he functions. So there.
Why are you out for the year when you tear your ACL then? If everyone can play without that ligament, why miss the rest of the season for surgery? Just strap it on and get out there sissies!Or maybe it's because that ligament provides stability to the rest of the knee without which you could not perform athletically.If I'm wrong, so be it, but it doesn't make sense that guys stop playing for a year and have surgery when you can just play without the ligament.

Why are you out for the year when you tear your ACL then? If everyone can play without that ligament, why miss the rest of the season for surgery? Just strap it on and get out there sissies!Or maybe it's because that ligament provides stability to the rest of the knee without which you could not perform athletically.

If I'm wrong, so be it, but it doesn't make sense that guys stop playing for a year and have surgery when you can just play without the ligament.
It completely depends on the severity of the injury, the person in question, and their tolerance for pain.Ward ruptured his ACL when he was 9, and it was never repaired.

Jimmy Hitchcock didn't need any ACL's at all...

thats correct
Thanks Sigmund. I'd always known Elway's but didn't know that about Ward. What's his story?I have a friend that just had ACL surgery and I told him I'd strongly consider not having it. For someone his age (40) and not especially athletic anymore, I'd wonder if the negatives of surgery and rehab were worth the negatives of not having an ACL.J

thats correct
Thanks Sigmund. I'd always known Elway's but didn't know that about Ward. What's his story?I have a friend that just had ACL surgery and I told him I'd strongly consider not having it. For someone his age (40) and not especially athletic anymore, I'd wonder if the negatives of surgery and rehab were worth the negatives of not having an ACL.J
I tore mine and before the surgery, my knee felt very unstable. Based on what my doctor told me, it's very surprising that there are professional athletes out there without them.

Sigmund Bloom said:
Joe Bryant said:
thats correct
Thanks Sigmund. I'd always known Elway's but didn't know that about Ward. What's his story?
He ruptured it as a kid, never had it fixed - but it wasnt discovered until his college days (I believe in the pre-draft period). It probably caused him to fall farther in the draft that he should have.
Westbrook is listed as questionable and had some soreness..... Hopefully he will be upgraded to probable by sunday..

Sigmund Bloom said:
Joe Bryant said:
thats correct
Thanks Sigmund. I'd always known Elway's but didn't know that about Ward. What's his story?
He ruptured it as a kid, never had it fixed - but it wasnt discovered until his college days (I believe in the pre-draft period). It probably caused him to fall farther in the draft that he should have.
Westbrook is listed as questionable and had some soreness..... Hopefully he will be upgraded to probable by sunday..
Question here is what is really wrong with Westbrook knee... Can it be something that lingers on from week to week until it finally shuts him down for the season like what happened to Mcnabb last year with his hernia...

Last edited by a moderator:
From PhiladelphiaEagles.com

As for Westbrook, Reid indicated that his knee was still bothering him.

"It's not getting worse. It is sore, though," Reid said. "We need to rest him and rehab him right now."
Sounds like something they're going to try to limp through with. I would guess that as long as the knee's not getting worse, and Westy is still producing, they'll rest him during the week and play him on Sundays.Just a thought.

"It's not getting worse. It is sore, though," Reid said. "We need to rest him and rehab him right now."
Sounds like something they're going to try to limp through with. I would guess that as long as the knee's not getting worse, and Westy is still producing, they'll rest him during the week and play him on Sundays.Just a thought.
Just what Philly needs - another superstar that doesn't practice. :lmao: Someone post the link to the previous thread quoting Iverson. My original thought on the quote was that 'not practicing' is something that Philly fans, media, etc. are already familiar with. Kinda like a seed may have been planted in Westbrooks head. Maybe he shoots pool with Iverson, who pitched him the idea. :thumbup:

If you can get away with not practicing, but still produce on gameday then more power to you I say.

He was on Sirius satelite today and he said he would be fine for Sunday... All precautionary as there is some soreness but nothing out of the ordinary... Sorry no link as this was on the radio.

He was on Sirius satelite today and he said he would be fine for Sunday... All precautionary as there is some soreness but nothing out of the ordinary... Sorry no link as this was on the radio.
Wally,Are you sure that it wasn't Eddie Haskel just trying to pull your leg?

just when you thought the thread was totally useless....thanks Wally :)

I don't care what the players say I care what the coaches say. Right now he's questionable and we all know he's never played a full season as well as having season ending injuries. If he's out Buck is the man and he's playing San Fran

Not sound alarmist or anything, but I am pretty sure you can find similiar type quotes from the texans last year regarding DomDavis.

I don't care what the players say I care what the coaches say. Right now he's questionable and we all know he's never played a full season as well as having season ending injuries. If he's out Buck is the man and he's playing San Fran
He's only had one major season ending injury, last year. Other than that he has been reasonable healthy every other year of his NFL career.BTW, Good posting from the guy who heard Westy on the radio.

He's only had one major season ending injury, last year. Other than that he has been reasonable healthy every other year of his NFL career.BTW, Good posting from the guy who heard Westy on the radio.
How do we know that this isn't a similar issue to what Dom hd last year and he finally got shut down.... Something has to be causing the swelling.. Normal players do not go through this..

He's only had one major season ending injury, last year. Other than that he has been reasonable healthy every other year of his NFL career.
I don't want to put words in your mouth but it's as if you are trying to paint a picture of Westbrook as a guy who basically has had one injury in his career and other than that has been a beacon of health. That's false. He's only been avialable to start 75% of his games over the past 2 seasons and has missed a game every year. He battled a foot problem over the pre-season and is already battling a swelling knee and we've got a long way to go this season. It's not a matter of if he will miss a game it's just a matter of how many and I'd be shocked if he makes it to his customary 75% this year.

Sorry, I don't know where I read it, but there was something about his knee swelling being related to the orthotics he's wearing to protect the sprained foot. (I'll try to dig up where I read this.) I don't think I've ever read that he's had chronic knee issues in the pros. His usual dings are hit-related, ribs and stuff. Although last year he had a Lis Franc foot sprain. So I'm more worried about chronic foot problems.

Also, as someone who's had two ACL tears and reconstructions, if you don't get it repaired you run a big risk of grinding your cartilidge to dust since your knee joint is unstable and moves around too much. Also, another side effect of a torn ACL is your knee giving out when you put weight on it. Elway is by far the exception, not the rule -- maybe the rest of his ligaments were exceptionally tight, so he didn't have much instability.

Users who are viewing this thread