What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vitamins (merged) (1 Viewer)

Sunday@1

Footballguy
For the past number of years I was taking a multi vitiman pack (5) that supposedly included all I needed for daily use and maintenence. I always purchased these at a local mall kiosk - Vitamin Healthcenters. Now they are out of business or at least out of the mall. I checked online and it comes up as Nutritionary but has no local stores in my area.

I think I want a multi pack but what to get? I am not sure if there is still a GNC in the mall. I would like to stay away from online ordering at least until I know I like/they work. Any ideas of what and where?

TIA,

S@1

Yes.

1 Multi

1 Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc

1 Vitamin E

1 Omega-3 Fatty Acid

1 Glucosamine/Chondroitin

All from Trader Joe's The Best Store In The Universe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.

1 Multi

1 Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc

1 Vitamin E

1 Omega-3 Fatty Acid

1 Glucosamine/Chondroitin

All from The Best Store In The Universe!
Cal/Mag/Zinc - Unles you are getting Cal Citrate or Cal Chelate (preferably from Albion Labs - the ingredient list will specify this), don't bother. Cal Carbonate and Oyster Shell Calcium are commonly used because they are cheap and have high Calcium content but are not readily absorbable by your system.Vitamin E - Get the Natural (D-tocopheryl Succinate not the synthetic DL-)

Glucosamine/Chondroitin - Unless you have arthritis or knee problems I wouldn't bother.

I would add a good Saw Palmetto/Pygeum soft gell to the mix for your prostate.

Puritan's Pride is a good direct merchant.

Also, avoid a multi that has an "herbal" or "proprietary" base that calls out things like Saw Palmetto or Ginkgo Biloba. There won't be enough of it in there to do you any good.

Nutrilite

Double X (kind of like a multi on steroids)

Omega 3

Fruit & Vegetable suppliment

IL1 Heart Health Nutrigenomic Dietary Supplement

Anyone with a family history of heart disease that's not taking an Omega 3 should reconsider.

Nutrilite

Double X (kind of like a multi on steroids)

Omega 3

Fruit & Vegetable suppliment

IL1 Heart Health Nutrigenomic Dietary Supplement

Anyone with a family history of heart disease that's not taking an Omega 3 should reconsider.
And probably take COQ10 as well
That's true too.
Oh yeah, I forgot the Fish Oil pills from Trader Joe's. Omega 3 and Omega 6. Doctor said my bad cholesterol was low, but my good cholesterol wasn't quite high enough.

Once Centrum everyday.
Crap - generally cheap ingredients that won't absorb well. A good multi should be at least 2 or 3 per day or the crap that's in it isn't doing you any good.
What multi do you recommend??
The Kirkland Premium brand is what I take (2/day). As I said Puritan's Pride has some good stuff. The key is to look at the ingredients. Look for Chelates and citrates, avoid Carbonates and sulfonates. Looking to see if they use the natural Vitamin E is a good quick check as well. If they are spending the money on natural, chances are the other ingredients are also good. Avoid ones that promote themselves as having to take fewer pills or that have the above-mentioned blends of herbs as they are appealing to your cheap/lazy side and are cramming crappy ingredients and lame quantities into their tabs.

I really liked the Mega Men vitamins from GNC but they just got too expensive for me. There are the one vitamin where I can honestly say I could tell a difference in my energy level and health. Right now I am taking a Centrum performance knock-off and it appears to be adequate.

I asked a dietician once and he said the difference in value is how much is actually absorbed. He claims like 75% of the mega men vitamin is absorbed as opposed to lower level vitamins where about 75% is pissed out and never used.

I used to take these until I ran out and just got too lazy to buy more. But I definitely noticed a difference. I'd take the ones without iron, as I was getting more than enough through my diet at the time.

I used to take these until I ran out and just got too lazy to buy more. But I definitely noticed a difference. I'd take the ones without iron, as I was getting more than enough through my diet at the time.
Looks good. Again, as the general rule of thumb note the Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl succinate)

Kirkland (Costco) - Daily Multi

Kirkland (Costco) - Fish Oil w/ Omega 3

Nature Made - C

Nature Made - Super B Complex

Nature Made - B12

Nature Made - B6

Nature Made - E

Once Centrum everyday.
Crap - generally cheap ingredients that won't absorb well. A good multi should be at least 2 or 3 per day or the crap that's in it isn't doing you any good.
:goodposting: / Greatposting
What if you split the pill in half, and take during 2 dif meals? This should help absorb beter right?
Very slightly. The issue is not so much about having too much at once and more about the bio-availability of the ingredients.

I've read in a couple different places that young/middle-aged men should actually be taking Senior vitamins. The iron content in regular men's vitamins is too high and can have a detrimental effect over time.

Glucosamine/Chondroitin - Unless you have arthritis or knee problems I wouldn't bother.
Does this stuff work good for people with knee problems/pain?
Definitely. If you have knee problems, I would immediately start taking this. You might look for something with MSM too as that can help with the pain aspect.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.Also planning to upgrade from my Walgreen's multi to the Kirkland Premium mulit you recommended, thanks to this thread.

Let me preface this by saying that I have absolutely no knowledge of what makes a good vitamin. My in-laws keep trying to get me to take this stuff. Does it look worthwhile or not so much? Its some sort of MLM thing, but does that mean the product is bad too? Nutrition info here: info

Definitely. If you have knee problems, I would immediately start taking this. You might look for something with MSM too as that can help with the pain aspect.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.Also planning to upgrade from my Walgreen's multi to the Kirkland Premium mulit you recommended, thanks to this thread.
the Glucosamin/Chondroitin is also excellent for anyone that has a large dog with hip problems.

Drifter, what's the general consensus in the nutrition community about taking the daily 81 mg aspirin? Good, bad, indifferent?

Drifter, what's the general consensus in the nutrition community about taking the daily 81 mg aspirin? Good, bad, indifferent?
To tell you the truth, I don't know what's being said these days. I've been out of the industry for a few years so don't know what the latest talks/fads/ideas are.

pc-95 from roex - proanthocyanidins, the active ingredient in grape seed extract. this isn't grape seed extract, it's only the good part of grape seed extract. it's not a multi, but you can't expect any reasonable amount of any of the vitamins to be in one tablet. to get what you need, that vitamin would be huge.

it's likely the best antioxidant available for sale. remember, cholesterol doesn't kill you...it's when cholesterol oxidizes and hardens in your arteries that it kills you. since i started these, many good things have happened including loss of most allergies. i play a lot of golf and also noticed very little sunburn over the summer.

b-complex from roex - doesn't use cyanacobalamin molecules (it's cyanide and used by most companies cause it's cheaper), so more readily usable by your body. also contains folic acid to help keep homocysteine levels low...homocysteine is likely the most common cause of heart attacks.

calcium mineral formula from roex - made of four types of calcium and includes the minerals that make calcium absorbable by the body. anything that uses calcium carbonate is not absorbable by your body...don't purchase it.

fp63 from roex - flower pollen extract...prostate support and helps mineral absorption.

ester c from roex - your liver alone needs 3000 mgs of vitamin c to function properly. so you probably need to take more than that for other goods things to happen.

colostrum from roex - contains insulin growth factors...great for people who work out and want better results and also helps with immunity from colds and flu.

colon essentials from roex - it's likely that 90% of people in america have an overgrowth of bad bacteria in their intestines causing more bad things than i can mention. this product replenishes the friendly bacteria. if you've ever been on an antibiotic, it's likely you need these.

essential fatty acids - has been mentioned by others. a miracle that few people know about. your body craves them like a drunk craves a drink.

pc-95 from roex - proanthocyanidins, the active ingredient in grape seed extract. this isn't grape seed extract, it's only the good part of grape seed extract. it's not a multi, but you can't expect any reasonable amount of any of the vitamins to be in one tablet. to get what you need, that vitamin would be huge.it's likely the best antioxidant available for sale. remember, cholesterol doesn't kill you...it's when cholesterol oxidizes and hardens in your arteries that it kills you. since i started these, many good things have happened including loss of most allergies. i play a lot of golf and also noticed very little sunburn over the summer.b-complex from roex - doesn't use cyanacobalamin molecules (it's cyanide and used by most companies cause it's cheaper), so more readily usable by your body. also contains folic acid to help keep homocysteine levels low...homocysteine is likely the most common cause of heart attacks.calcium mineral formula from roex - made of four types of calcium and includes the minerals that make calcium absorbable by the body. anything that uses calcium carbonate is not absorbable by your body...don't purchase it.fp63 from roex - flower pollen extract...prostate support and helps mineral absorption.ester c from roex - your liver alone needs 3000 mgs of vitamin c to function properly. so you probably need to take more than that for other goods things to happen.colostrum from roex - contains insulin growth factors...great for people who work out and want better results and also helps with immunity from colds and flu.colon essentials from roex - it's likely that 90% of people in america have an overgrowth of bad bacteria in their intestines causing more bad things than i can mention. this product replenishes the friendly bacteria. if you've ever been on an antibiotic, it's likely you need these.essential fatty acids - has been mentioned by others. a miracle that few people know about. your body craves them like a drunk craves a drink.
Without looking anything up, I'm guessing roex is a MLM?

I take them preventatively, not sure if they actually work or if it is more voodoo/shamanism but I am willing to take the chance that it may help a little.Taking them after pain begins or you develop arthritis is akin to closing the barn door after the horse gets out.

Eniva Vibe
Eniva VibeAnyone know anymore about this stuff?

A lady that I work with just got my girlfriend to start taking. She says she feels like she has more energy. Skeptic that I am, I googled it, and I couldn't find anything bad about it on the web.

Anyone else tried it? Maybe I'll give it a try.

I take them preventatively, not sure if they actually work or if it is more voodoo/shamanism but I am willing to take the chance that it may help a little.Taking them after pain begins or you develop arthritis is akin to closing the barn door after the horse gets out.
Gluco/Chon has been used by Vets for 40 years (started with horses in the 60s) and animals don't have placebo effects.

To tell you the truth, I don't know what's being said these days. I've been out of the industry for a few years so don't know what the latest talks/fads/ideas are.
link to articlehere's one that says you should never have been on one, but if you are taking one, there is research that if you don't wean off of it slowly, there's evidence that discontinuing it could cause a heart attack.

pc-95 from roex - proanthocyanidins, the active ingredient in grape seed extract. this isn't grape seed extract, it's only the good part of grape seed extract. it's not a multi, but you can't expect any reasonable amount of any of the vitamins to be in one tablet. to get what you need, that vitamin would be huge.it's likely the best antioxidant available for sale. remember, cholesterol doesn't kill you...it's when cholesterol oxidizes and hardens in your arteries that it kills you. since i started these, many good things have happened including loss of most allergies. i play a lot of golf and also noticed very little sunburn over the summer.b-complex from roex - doesn't use cyanacobalamin molecules (it's cyanide and used by most companies cause it's cheaper), so more readily usable by your body. also contains folic acid to help keep homocysteine levels low...homocysteine is likely the most common cause of heart attacks.calcium mineral formula from roex - made of four types of calcium and includes the minerals that make calcium absorbable by the body. anything that uses calcium carbonate is not absorbable by your body...don't purchase it.fp63 from roex - flower pollen extract...prostate support and helps mineral absorption.ester c from roex - your liver alone needs 3000 mgs of vitamin c to function properly. so you probably need to take more than that for other goods things to happen.colostrum from roex - contains insulin growth factors...great for people who work out and want better results and also helps with immunity from colds and flu.colon essentials from roex - it's likely that 90% of people in america have an overgrowth of bad bacteria in their intestines causing more bad things than i can mention. this product replenishes the friendly bacteria. if you've ever been on an antibiotic, it's likely you need these.essential fatty acids - has been mentioned by others. a miracle that few people know about. your body craves them like a drunk craves a drink.
not that i know of.

not that i know of.
You're right. They're not. The wording of what you wrote seemed reminiscent of MLM copy.Looks to be pretty good stuff. The Proanthocyanidin product is still grape seed extract. Most good GSE is 95% Proanthocyanidins.

the current rage is the stuff called relive, which i presume to be an mlm. it contains soy protein though, which i understand is a phytoestrogen and causes bad things to happen to men.

the current rage is the stuff called relive, which i presume to be an mlm. it contains soy protein though, which i understand is a phytoestrogen and causes bad things to happen to men.
Used to do a lot of business with MLMs - formulating, manufacturing, marketing, etcFor the most part they usually have good, high quality supplements but they are marked up even more than most retailers (who are also usually way marked up). You also have to put up with the MLM sales pitch if you want to buy product.

Gluco/Chon has been used by Vets for 40 years (started with horses in the 60s) and animals don't have placebo effects.
True dat. Of course people react differently to medications than dogs, cats and horses. It is also far more difficult to assess pain and recovery from pain in pets than in humans.

Users who are viewing this thread