What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I predict 90% of malls will be closed in 10 years (1 Viewer)

Sad to go into a mall these days. They are dead with most of the stores closed and very little traffic. Online shopping is putting them out of business like streaming did to video stores. They’re a few surviving, or even thriving, but most are dying. I expect this to be saddest for those 80s teenagers that have fond memories of meeting their friends at the mall, eating some pizza and playing arcade games. But like most things, the only guarantee is change. I kind of felt that way when drive-ins closed. I say shut them down. I don’t see how any of the stores stay open in these dying malls.
Johnny:

I disagree. I think the indoor mall you and I grew up with is dying with only the "best" ones surviving. Here in South Florida we have about 3 malls per County in what you would consider to be "traditional" setups. These are usually the "survivors" of the closing and consolidation of department stores that existed at the time. Then you have the "Outlet" style mall, also about one per county, and then you have the "open air" newer mall concept which is about 2-4 blocks of shops and eateries with possibly a movie theater within the "parking area" of that location, usually without a "large anchor" department store. (these will usually have some combination of national chains like Gap, Lacoste, Lulu, Athleta, etc and in the nicer ones a Zara or Uni. The crappier ones get an Old Navy)

Macys and Nordstrom survive, as well as JC Penny, Saks, and that is about it. If those guys fall then the malls you and I grew up in will finally die like the one in Blues Brothers.
I keep hearing how great the malls in south Florida are. Well, I’m speaking for the entire county and it’s plain to see all these dying malls. Perhaps enough of them close to leave the proper number because there were too many and the decline stops, or maybe the American consumer has changed and they don’t. I do like what you said, ”have the "open air" newer mall concept which is about 2-4 blocks of shops and eateries with possibly a movie theater within the "parking area" of that location, usually without a "large anchor" department store. (these will usually have some combination of national chains like Gap, Lacoste, Lulu, Athleta, etc and in the nicer ones a Zara or Uni”.. Perhaps this is the new mall. I’ve seen several like this in Florida and they are always busy. Let the old ones die a peaceful death. Another example of thsee new type of mall is Easton in Columbus, Ohio. It’s not new, maybe 25 years, but is one of those open concept type of shopping centers. Even though the concept isn’t new, it’s new compared to the indoor malls.

Last edited:
Hard to see how any of them survive much longer. What would could possibly make a mall work now? What would attract people?
What would make them work is actually whats helping to put them in the ground; promote the narrative of it being a hang out spot; place to be for the younger crowd.

We were just at a Mall today and I told the wife it is amazing how this mall (in Sioux Falls, SD) used to be super busy and now there were a lot of empty store fronts. The biggest thing we are seeing in our area is what I would call a strip mall. You have a Kohls, Target, Wal-Mart, etc or 2 national chains and then about 5-10 smaller stores in between them. They seem to be popping up pretty regularly in our neck of the woods (keep in mind the largest "cities" within 2 hours of us are 100K and 150K so no "large" cities).

We were just at a Mall today and I told the wife it is amazing how this mall (in Sioux Falls, SD) used to be super busy and now there were a lot of empty store fronts. The biggest thing we are seeing in our area is what I would call a strip mall. You have a Kohls, Target, Wal-Mart, etc or 2 national chains and then about 5-10 smaller stores in between them. They seem to be popping up pretty regularly in our neck of the woods (keep in mind the largest "cities" within 2 hours of us are 100K and 150K so no "large" cities).
Yeah that's pretty standard here. outlets are now popping up, which are like an outdoor mall

I mean, this is all kind of obvious with online shopping and malls consistently and noticeably declining for a while now.

That said, at least here locally, there's been a bit of a resurgence post-covid as people have kind of fallen into revenge in-person shopping after being stuck on Amazon for a year.

Our mall in 2019 was absolutely dead. Could park right by the doors, no one in there, empty storefronts everywhere. Now it's actually kind of busy, plenty of people out and about, storefronts filling in to the point where almost all of them are full now. I expect it to last another year or two before the deathfall gets back on trend.

Yeah that's pretty standard here. outlets are now popping up, which are like an outdoor mall

Yeah, the outdoor spaces have less upkeep and the weather keeps the loitering down to a minimum.

Malls are still open? I feel like I live in the mall state capitals of the world and most of ours have closed or have condensed to like one tiny wing of what it used to be and built a bunch of restaurants around it
Yeah, I had to do a double-take to make sure this wasn't a necro thread from 10 years ago. It seems like 90% of them are already either closed or effectively dead.
Agreed. Seems like a weird thread considering how many have either shut down altogether and decreased greatly in size/open businesses.
A lot still open, but dead. Most of those will close. Brick and mortar stores are becoming obsolete.
You might enjoy a documentary called Jasper Mall on Amazon Prime. It depicts one of these dying malls in Alabama. It doesn't have any special twist or message or anything -- it just shows how the mall was once a destination and is now on its last legs.
Super great documentary, I agree. Sad to watch.

Hard to see how any of them survive much longer. What would could possibly make a mall work now? What would attract people?
They really need to add social experiences, and be inviting to kids. The mall cops have driven kids away for so many years, now it's comeback to bite them.

They really need to add social experiences, and be inviting to kids. The mall cops have driven kids away for so many years, now it's comeback to bite them.

You're seriously citing mall cops as the reasoning behind a tectonic change in industry?

You must be in Overlord Park eating burritos or something.

You're seriously citing mall cops as the reasoning behind a tectonic change in industry?

No, but they sure haven't helped. I watch all these kids blow cash on ANYTHING, just trying to find something to do. Malls should be taking advantage of that somehow. The malls here used to close on Fridays and Sat at like 11pm. The mall used to be a night out. Then they changed closing time to 7pm blaming the "disruptive" kids. Silly imo, and I stopped going. The trampoline park keeps adding things for the kids and they are making bank.

Last edited:

No, but they sure haven't helped. I watch all these kids blow cash on ANYTHING, just trying to find something to do. Malls should be taking advantage of that somehow. The malls here used to close on Fridays and Sat at Luke 11pm. The mall used to be a night out. Then they changed closing time to 7pm blaming the "disruptive" kids. Silly imo, and I stopped going. The trampoline park keeps adding things for the kids and they are making bank.
..but….but…but…what about all the teenage mall riots organized on social media?

Our two closest malls are attaching other things to it now to survive. One put a fresh market in. The other some kind of interactive fun zone with glow in the dark putt putt, laser tag, bowling and an arcade. Went last week and it was busy. Might be a way for them to survive.

Our two closest malls are attaching other things to it now to survive. One put a fresh market in. The other some kind of interactive fun zone with glow in the dark putt putt, laser tag, bowling and an arcade. Went last week and it was busy. Might be a way for them to survive.
That's exactly what I mean. You set up a destination for the kids to hang out and spend cash, the helicopter and lawnmower parents will follow. Especially in the burbs. It's not that hard.

A couple in our area have died or are in the process. One of them is supposed to be converted into an apartment "village" but it seems like the plans keep changing.

There was a new outdoor mixed use mall pretty close to me that is thriving. Who knows if that will last.

90% is high... because if they haven't died yet, they must have some alternate stream keeping them alive. You've missed a giant shift already.

I'd say "90% of malls from 2005 will be gone by 2033" and that would seem a better estimate. You been under a rock good buddy?

Sad to go into a mall these days. They are dead with most of the stores closed and very little traffic. Online shopping is putting them out of business like streaming did to video stores. They’re a few surviving, or even thriving, but most are dying. I expect this to be saddest for those 80s teenagers that have fond memories of meeting their friends at the mall, eating some pizza and playing arcade games. But like most things, the only guarantee is change. I kind of felt that way when drive-ins closed. I say shut them down. I don’t see how any of the stores stay open in these dying malls.
Johnny:

I disagree. I think the indoor mall you and I grew up with is dying with only the "best" ones surviving. Here in South Florida we have about 3 malls per County in what you would consider to be "traditional" setups. These are usually the "survivors" of the closing and consolidation of department stores that existed at the time. Then you have the "Outlet" style mall, also about one per county, and then you have the "open air" newer mall concept which is about 2-4 blocks of shops and eateries with possibly a movie theater within the "parking area" of that location, usually without a "large anchor" department store. (these will usually have some combination of national chains like Gap, Lacoste, Lulu, Athleta, etc and in the nicer ones a Zara or Uni. The crappier ones get an Old Navy)

Macys and Nordstrom survive, as well as JC Penny, Saks, and that is about it. If those guys fall then the malls you and I grew up in will finally die like the one in Blues Brothers.
I keep hearing how great the malls in south Florida are.
well, I was just t Aventura mall yesteday and it is full.
sawgrass mills mall is full.
with the heat index what it is these days an “enclosed“ walking mall I’m south Florida still has value. That being said, where once there were 3 malls in a 10 mile radius there is one mall in a 20 mile radius.

Our local mall is doing "OK". Lost Sears and Lord&Taylor over the past couple years, but still plenty of stores (including Macy's Nordstrom, JCPenney) and traffic... although the clientele has gone downhill. Might just be because I'm old, but the "kids" that hang out there are more nefarious and rowdy than when I was a kid or my kids were kids.

There are other malls nearby that are not faring as well. One in particular is practically empty except for 2 anchor stores and some restaurants.

I miss Sears. We used to get all of our appliances, TVs, Timberlands, some clothes and a lot of tools there. Could also get appliance and lawn care parts too.

We lost quality for cheap and available and now we have neither.

I miss Sears. We used to get all of our appliances, TVs, Timberlands, some clothes and a lot of tools there. Could also get appliance and lawn care parts too.

Sears was awesome. Loved their tool policy - if it broke, no matter if you had a receipt or how long ago you bought, bring it in and they'd replace it. It had to be the brand they carried - I think was Stanley for a long time - but they'd give you a new one no questions asked. I'm guessing they had an arrangement with the manufacturer - something like "we'll sell a million wrenches a day; you reimburse us the few hundred broken that get returned in each day."

Sears was awesome. Loved their tool policy - if it broke, no matter if you had a receipt or how long ago you bought, bring it in and they'd replace it. It had to be the brand they carried - I think was Stanley for a long time - but they'd give you a new one no questions asked. I'm guessing they had an arrangement with the manufacturer - something like "we'll sell a million wrenches a day; you reimburse us the few hundred broken that get returned in each day."

Craftsman, and that policy is still in effect at Lowes, who bought Craftsman from Sears.

Craftsman, and that policy is still in effect at Lowes, who bought Craftsman from Sears.
Craftsman! That was it! Thanks for correcting me.

Check this one out. I grew up near here and was always at this mall back in the 80s. Now it is an absolute ghost town. One sad food court place. Bath & Body Works and Dunhams are about all that is left.

I'm pretty sure every city has at least 1-2 malls that look exactly like this. The local government recently approved some redevelopment plans for the one closest to where I live, but the combination of bureaucratic red tape imposed by state/local gov't and delay by whatever private equity firm owns the property will ensure nothing actually happens there for probably another decade.

Yeah I get it. I grew up on malls for sure. They were still a big deal in the 90s and early 00s. Hit the restaurants, theaters, shopping for clothes, music stores. It's a bygone era.
You know ... you and Johnny U have hit upon some things. Not merely thinking of malls as retail space, but also as places for young people to simply hang out ... and what kinds of things have changed the relevant dynamics.

I actually think online shopping has a lot less to do with struggling malls than commonly thought -- though the Internet itself, in general, has played a big role.

Let me lay out a few things. Some of these could be more local-to-me factors that may not be present in other areas:

1) Pre-teen kids aren't anywhere near as independently mobile as they were 25+ years ago. When I was coming up, plenty of 8-12 year-old kids ratted the streets all day on their 20-inch mag bikes ... heading here, there and everywhere and generally engaging in unplanned fun without their parents. No, this younger age group wasn't the one that was filling the malls. But not being independently mobile of parents at that age started a pattern.

2) Teens aren't anywhere near as independent as they were 25+ years ago. Both mobility-wise and financially. Teens don't bike anywhere anymore, don't drive as early as we did in the 1980s, and typically don't have their own money anywhere near as soon as we did. I'm sure there's exceptions and maybe some US locales are different.

3) Teens don't have to leave the house to socialize. Internet, social media, Discord and similar, etc. SMARTPHONES! My 16-year-old son "hangs out" with friends online all the time and doesn't feel like he's missing anything. Lots of parents don't mind, because the kids are "safe at home" (just like many of us didn't let our kids, when younger, go anywhere independently on bikes -- or heck, just walking around).

4) The music stores Ilov80s mentioned. Well, we all know music is consumed very differently these days and has been for over 20 years (Napster through iTunes/Spotify). When physical media nosedived, so did your Sam Goodys, FYEs, and Camelots. Not too different from what happened to video-rental stores.

5) Movie theaters? Well before the pandemic, movies were a place where parents dropped off their teens, and then picked them up at the end. No more biking to the show -- or catching a ride with a driving teen friend. And without independent unscheduled time ("Mom's on her way!") there's no perusing the mall, hitting the food court, etc.

6) Shopping for one's own clothes and shoes -- at least some of them -- was once an important teen rite of passage. But without having one's own money, it's the Mom and Dad Show once again. And, locally, all public schools went to uniforms in the mid-1990s -- so buying cool clothes to wear to school hasn't been a thing in decades. Additionally -- and maybe locally -- after-market clothing stores have proliferated over the last 25 or so years -- selling many of the same brands as the mall stores, but at significant markdowns.

7) Johnny U mentioned arcade games in the OP. We all know what happened there -- and that ball started rolling even pre-Internet.

So ... there aren't a lot of table legs left (read: none) to prop up young people hanging out at malls anymore. And a lot of these factors have been in play for so long that you've got an entire generation of kids that don't feel anything special for malls -- "Mom might drag me into one now and then, but there's nothing I want to do there."

Last edited:
Do kids and teenagers these days prefer to buy clothes and shoes online?
They usually don't buy their own clothes and shoes at all. Today's teens, in a lot of ways, are equivalent to 1980s 5th graders (independence, mobility, purchasing power, etc.).

I tried to return a Craftsman to Lowes and they asked alot of questions, and I ultimately just left. It's not the same. At Sears you would hand your tool to a lady, and she would give a new one back immediately. No questions asked.

I watch all these kids blow cash on ANYTHING, just trying to find something to do.
In 2023? Different locales, I guess -- what are you seeing, specifically? Are you looking at upper-middle-class or wealthy-family teens who are using Dad's platinum card? Or something else?

I tried to return a Craftsman to Lowes and they asked alot of questions, and I ultimately just left. It's not the same. At Sears you would hand your tool to a lady, and she would give a new one back immediately. No questions asked.

I haven't had to swap anything since Lowe's took over the brand. That's disheartening to read.

I would love to see someone step up and bring back real arcades to malls. I think the time is right. Kids and parents are finally sick of having to buy VC on many of the popular home games and apps. Kids are REALLY in need of personal social interaction, and many are way behind on all that because of covid. I see another opportunity.

Might just be because I'm old, but the "kids" that hang out there are more nefarious and rowdy than when I was a kid or my kids were kids.
This was often heard down here circa 2000-2005. The "mall retailers vs hang-out kids" thing likely had an influence on the acceptability of the easy-breezy 1980s ethic of "Mom, I'm going to be at the mall!"

I watch all these kids blow cash on ANYTHING, just trying to find something to do.
In 2023? Different locales, I guess -- what are you seeing, specifically? Are you looking at upper-middle-class or wealthy-family teens who are using Dad's platinum card? Or something else?
Middle class around here, but my guess is Kids are Kids so every group has their thing. I heard the rich kids that are over sixteen roumd here spend alot of time at the casinos ffs. That's ridiculous imo.

I would love to see someone step up and bring back real arcades to malls. I think the time is right. Kids and parents are finally sick of having to buy VC on many of the popular home games and apps. Kids are REALLY in need of personal social interaction, and many are way behind on all that because of covid. I see another opportunity.

There’s a local place about 25 minute north of me called Crabtown that has about 50 classic arcade games and pinball machines.

I’m a big nerd for games of this era and nostalgia but the novelty wears thin. The games are unforgiving and the controls/buttons need constant attention/maintenance.

They have it as a supplement/attraction for their connected restaurant but I doubt either could survive on their own .

Last edited:
Might just be because I'm old, but the "kids" that hang out there are more nefarious and rowdy than when I was a kid or my kids were kids.
This was often heard down here circa 2000-2005. The "mall retailers vs hang-out kids" thing likely had an influence on the acceptability of the easy-breezy 1980s ethic of "Mom, I'm going to be at the mall!"
I doubt today's mall kids are more nefarithan we were, lol. We used to glue giant &^dos all over the place to scare old ladies, we set fire to dumpsters, we would steal pets (mice) and set them free in the food courts, we would put lit cigarettes in the giant plant pots, and lay bottle rockets and m80's across them and walk away. We would steal bouncy balls from the toy stores, and then hurl them into the convertible sunglass huts from above. Some of us would steal entire shipments of comic books from the book stores. We assaulted the Easter Bunny in his lair and one kid poured a shake on him from above while he had a huge line of kids. I could go on....

But kids today are worse, lol. No.

There’s a local place about 25 minute snorers of me called Crabtown that has about 50 classic arcade games and pinball machines.

I’m a big nerd for games of this era and nostalgia but the novelty wears thin. The games are unforgiving and the controls/buttons need constant attention/maintenance.

They house not as a supplement/attraction for their connected restaurant but I doubt either could survive on their own .
They could use NEW stand up games. Everything doesn't have to be retro to be retro. There is a market for sure.

Everyone being kinda poor is certainly not helping retail. I heard giant Yacht sales are through the roof though.

The independent mobility issue for today's teens is a big one to overcome -- especially in no-public-transportation suburbia. Just having something be a nice draw isn't enough -- your nice 2023 mall arcade probably ends up more bringing in young 20-somethings than teens.

People grow up slower and later today than in our generation.

They usually don't buy their own clothes and shoes at all. Today's teens, in a lot of ways, are equivalent to 1980s 5th graders (independence, mobility, purchasing power, etc.).
Yeah I’ve sort of talked about this before as it comes up tangentially in a lot of threads but there is a whole different mentality in the kids and parents about growing up these days. It’s bizarre.

The independent mobility issue for today's teens is a big one to overcome -- especially in no-public-transportation suburbia. Just having something be a nice draw isn't enough -- your nice 2023 mall arcade probably ends up more bringing in young 20-somethings than teens.

People grow up slower and later today than in our generation.
Kids around here pile into parents cars like clowns or Uber. They also ride bikes while wearing black ski masks and many have motor scooters. Not an issue at all in our burbs.

In the 80's-90's we would walk the two miles to the mall every Friday and Saturday night. We were broke but some of us had alcohol and smokes. It was fun. Kids are resourceful.

My son just turned 18 and always bought his own clothes (cheap ones) from Shein, Stock X, ect. We have to buy his socks and draws only. He won't make his own breakfast though or do laundry.

Last edited:
I doubt today's mall kids are more nefarithan we were, lol. We used to glue giant &^dos all over the place to scare old ladies, we set fire to dumpsters, we would steal pets (mice) and set them free in the food courts, we would put lit cigarettes in the giant plant pots, and lay bottle rockets and m80's across them and walk away. We would steal bouncy balls from the toy stores, and then hurl them into the convertible sunglass huts from above. Some of us would steal entire shipments of comic books from the book stores. We assaulted the Easter Bunny in his lair and one kid poured a shake on him from above while he had a huge line of kids. I could go on....

Well -- that's what led to some malls closing at 7 pm and stuff like that. My set was pretty tame -- shoplifting clothes was probably the absolute worst thing any of my cohort did.

Today's mall kids essentially don't exist.

But kids today are worse, lol. No.
Kids today are far better behaved than the kids in the 80s and 90s. It’s not even close. Even in my 16 years of teaching I see a big difference. The kids are much nicer but also way more sensitive, much less social, etc.

Last edited:
Kids are better behaved and the world is safer yet as a society we are less hospitable to teens loitering and far more protective of them. I think it’s doing them a major disservice and probably has all kinds of really consequences.

Do kids and teenagers these days prefer to buy clothes and shoes online?
I’m 64 and don’t buy most of my clothes, my wife does. Sometimes I’ll pick out something if we’re perusing a small town’s local shoppes. I hate shopping. I‘m too old to have hung around malls when I was a teen (70s), but I get it for the 80s and 90s crew. Maybe they enjoyed shopping back then, I don’t know. I thought malls were mainly just a hang out place for teens, where they can eat pizza and play arcade games.

Users who are viewing this thread