What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (5 Viewers)

Not even interested in reading the rest of the series at this point.
I’m not as interested as I once was, for sure, but I’ll definitely pre order the next one and read it right away. The books left off in a much different place IIRC than the show ever was. 

AAABatteries said:
I stayed out of the GoT threads for the most part because I never really watched the shows.

Is there ANY chance that we get Winds of Winter?
None

:goodposting:

Not even interested in reading the rest of the series at this point.
Kinda there. If, and to me it's a huge if, but if home boy finishes them before he keels over I'll probably pick them up at some point but a couple 1000 pagers is not really going to the top of my reading list any time soon.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
"People know an ending—but not the ending," Martin said. "The makers of the TV show had overtaken me, which I didn't expect."

Apparently he expected them to work on his schedule and only release a new season every 10 years or so.  

"People know an ending—but not the ending," Martin said. "The makers of the TV show had overtaken me, which I didn't expect."

Apparently he expected them to work on his schedule and only release a new season every 10 years or so.  
I do think that the show getting ahead of him really hurt his creative juices and writing style. 

So here we are another 2.5 years later since the last post and GRRM posted recently on his blog that he is STILL working on Winds of Winter. No doubt with the new HBO show about to drop in a few weeks he felt the need to pontificate on how the book will be different from Game of Thrones the show and keep stringing us readers along.

Buckna said:
So here we are another 2.5 years later since the last post and GRRM posted recently on his blog that he is STILL working on Winds of Winter. No doubt with the new HBO show about to drop in a few weeks he felt the need to pontificate on how the book will be different from Game of Thrones the show and keep stringing us readers along.

Hes one lazy mfer

Have there been any new chapter leaks?

Several years back I recall a few character chapters showing up on his website. They seemed legit.

Buckna said:
Didn't realize this was imminent. Hope it's better than the last season and a half of the original.

I think that Winter is coming (eventually), but the real question is whether A Dream of Spring ever even gets started (and whether the story truly can end in only one additional volume).
If he kicked it tomorrow they could release a massive Winds next week IMO.

Dream is a whole other thing though.  Someone else is going to finish that one I think.

If he kicked it tomorrow they could release a massive Winds next week IMO.

Dream is a whole other thing though.  Someone else is going to finish that one I think.
According to him, Winter is done or pretty close, just needs polished up. I agree that we'll never see A Dream of Spring unless someone else finishes it.

He's already released 11 chapters (either in text or read at conferences). No idea if any of them have changed since they became public a billion years ago.
Yeah, he said in the recent blog post he stopped doing it because if he had kept it up by now he would have released half the book. Not surprising, it's been 11 freaking years since Dance came out.

He said in his most recent blog post that he has been home for the entirety of COVID since March of '20 except for one weekend. So that is a lot of free time to write...

I think there is plenty of evidence that he wasn't really working on Winds for years. I think he is back to working, but at his typical slow pace. However that does put him likely near done with Winds. I think he will write faster as he approaches the end as I think the end is mostly planned. His struggle is getting there in a way that makes sense. I am concerned though that he could need another book.

Buckna said:
Didn't realize this was imminent. Hope it's better than the last season and a half of the original.
I'm hopeful. HBO is going to really try hard on it and I'm looking forward to seeing Matt Smith in his role.

I'm hopeful. HBO is going to really try hard on it and I'm looking forward to seeing Matt Smith in his role.
I think so too, D&D aren't involved so hopefully the first thing HBO realized was they need to get good writers in after all the backlash on the final seasons.

Supposedly Kit Harrington met with GRRM with his idea for the new Jon Snow sequel to hammer out details and run things by him first for the story. It was also reported that he and HBO brought in their own writers for the show as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think so too, D&D aren't involved so hopefully the first thing HBO realized was they need to get good writers in after all the backlash on the final seasons.

Supposedly Kit Harrington met with GRRM with his idea for the new Jon Snow sequel to hammer out details and run things by him first for the story. It was also reported that he and HBO brought in their own writers for the show as well.
Any idea what the concept for that show is? White walkers are gone, wildlings are gone/resettled - what's he going to be striving against/for. Is this going to be some kind of Grizzly Adams reboot or something?

Any idea what the concept for that show is? White walkers are gone, wildlings are gone/resettled - what's he going to be striving against/for. Is this going to be some kind of Grizzly Adams reboot or something?
No details really at all yet as far as what the plot could be. Biggest question will definitely be as you said what the central conflict would be about with so much tied up in the show.

Martin’s books hinted at magic and other things beyond the wall other than White Walkers, including a few plot threads that we don’t know if he planned to do more with in the future books that he still hasn’t finished. They also cut a bunch of the Wildling plot from the books out including one particular character that could be pretty relevant. Plus we barely ever got to see Ghost, so hopefully we get lots of him kicking ### in a future show.

Yeah, he said in the recent blog post he stopped doing it because if he had kept it up by now he would have released half the book. Not surprising, it's been 11 freaking years since Dance came out.

He said in his most recent blog post that he has been home for the entirety of COVID since March of '20 except for one weekend. So that is a lot of free time to write...

I'm amazed at the different processes for writers.  Brandon Sanderson wrote 5 ADDITIONAL books in the last two years because of extra writing time due to COVID, while also finishing his previously expected work.  This guy and Rothfuss can't even get a sequel done that's been 10+ years in the waiting.

As far as canon timeline goes, where does the Dance of Dragons fall?  I am curious whether this show can serve other Targ storylines as well for future seasons.  Like when does Dunc and Egg take place?  Blackfire Rebellion?  Other stuff?

Interesting interview with GRRM I came across this weekend discussing the end of the series and how it will differ from the shows ending.

GRRM on ending of books
All of it makes sense to me. As I said in the other thread, if he finishes those two books I would be shocked if HBO doesn’t make a series out of them 10-15 years from now. Not just to ‘re-do’ the final season (I don’t think they care about that), but because it would be immensely profitable. They aren’t going to leave anything this guy wrote off the screen. They could just re-cast what they need to and call it “The Martin Version” or whatever.

Interesting interview with GRRM I came across this weekend discussing the end of the series and how it will differ from the shows ending.

GRRM on ending of books
All of it makes sense to me. As I said in the other thread, if he finishes those two books I would be shocked if HBO doesn’t make a series out of them 10-15 years from now. Not just to ‘re-do’ the final season (I don’t think they care about that), but because it would be immensely profitable. They aren’t going to leave anything this guy wrote off the screen. They could just re-cast what they need to and call it “The Martin Version” or whatever.
I don't see it ending too differently. Dany will go mad at some point. Bran sits the throne. But I think we get there in a way where it actually makes sense. There is no Night King in the books, so I think the White Walker story ends very differently though -- hopefully with Jon Snow actually mattering.

GRRM on ending of books
I don't see it ending too differently. Dany will go mad at some point. Bran sits the throne. But I think we get there in a way where it actually makes sense. There is no Night King in the books, so I think the White Walker story ends very differently though -- hopefully with Jon Snow actually mattering.
Yea I agree. I don't have a problem with Dany going down the road she did, it's how she got there that didn't sit right. In a book form he obviously has all the time he needs to develop it correctly so that it makes sense. And yes, the White Walkers HAVE to have a bigger presence to the ending than what the show did. It's the underlying story for the whole ****ing series and *poof* they're gone.

I may yet revise my opinion of Mr. Martin if he saves the series was the ending we all want but he still has to finish the damn books.

I may yet revise my opinion of Mr. Martin if he saves the series was the ending we all want but he still has to finish the damn books.
Apparently he has a huge part in house of dragons so at least he is staying busy doing good work. From what I read he was also very frustrated with how GoT ended so he is very hands on with dragons.

I don't see it ending too differently. Dany will go mad at some point. Bran sits the throne. But I think we get there in a way where it actually makes sense.
Exactly. You can see he's already setting it up in various places in the books that the show skipped right over too. So it'll be much more in-character and earned.

Been doing a full rewatch (because of House), just started season 4 (just got through the bring me the chickens scene). It really was one of the, if not the, best t.v. shows ever through this part of the series. Everything is uniformly genius. The only quibble through the early/mid seasons is the dragon CGI, doesn't always work. It really deserves a do over for the last couple of seasons.

Been doing a full rewatch (because of House), just started season 4 (just got through the bring me the chickens scene). It really was one of the, if not the, best t.v. shows ever through this part of the series. Everything is uniformly genius. The only quibble through the early/mid seasons is the dragon CGI, doesn't always work. It really deserves a do over for the last couple of seasons.
Love that scene.

Love that scene.
It is a fantastic scene. What blows me away, watching in binge mode rather than weekly episode mode, is how many fantastic scenes there are. Hardly any are a waste, you go from one great scene to another. Also what blows me away is how many character arcs are advanced over the course of the early/mid seasons. For instance, somehow the Hound ends up as a sympathetic character that you kind of root for. And he's not one of the top tier characters even. Stuff like that is one of the aspects that made the show great, that was really lost over the last 2 seasons when everything went to outline mode.

Love that scene.
It is a fantastic scene. What blows me away, watching in binge mode rather than weekly episode mode, is how many fantastic scenes there are. Hardly any are a waste, you go from one great scene to another. Also what blows me away is how many character arcs are advanced over the course of the early/mid seasons. For instance, somehow the Hound ends up as a sympathetic character that you kind of root for. And he's not one of the top tier characters even. Stuff like that is one of the aspects that made the show great, that was really lost over the last 2 seasons when everything went to outline mode.
They did everyone a disservice rushing to end it. Complete bollocks.

Love that scene.

Martin loves his good-bad-good-bad characters that live in a moral gray area. More of that can be expected in the HoTD.

something I saw on reddit - Rank these fathers from worst to least terrible

left to right:

Stannis B. - Tywin Lanister - Roose Bolton
Corlys Valaryon - Viserys Targ - Otto Hightower
Randall Tarly - Balon Greyjoy - Craster
Otto Hightower is least worst so far. All he's done is offer his daughter to the king.
Corlys is basically the same, but his daughter is a bit younger.

I could see someone argue Craster or Tywin as worst and it's a fair argument, but for me the worst father is Stannis. What he did to Shareen instantly made me wish for him a grisly death.

Continuing the rewatch, a crack appears in season 4, the scene where Asha/Yara tries to rescue Theon from Ramsay. It's stupid throughout, and I think is one of the earliest instances of writing completely distinct from Martin's own. Things go steadily down hill season to season from here as more and more scenes and episodes are the product of other writers. I'm in season 7 now, and it's terrible writing (season 6 was pretty bad too). The production quality is still there, better than ever really, and the spectacle is also better than ever. But the writing is atrocious. It's average to bad fanfic writing, at every level. This is not to saint Martin as perfect or anything - the last 2 books really aren't up to the level of the ones that came before in several ways - but the quality of this story really was dependent on his completed work. It's a shame. I hope he somehow finishes it off and they take up @Capella's idea of redoing/rebooting the last 3 seasons.

Love that scene.
Arya with the Hound was one of the best story arcs in the entire show.

Users who are viewing this thread