What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

the cleanup of industrial waste and the removal of extensive cement foundations that were discovered after the site was cleared.
:cry: whatta suprise in NJ.And you've been calling this one for a couple of weeks now, Andy- nice job!

Sheva in the states would be insane. He hasn't seemed to really fit with Chelsea- I think their attacking play through the midfield and wings takes away his strength: finding space up front and getting launched one on one against a defender.
Shevchenko lacks pace, which is crucial in the Premireship.

Offa said:
Sheva in the states would be insane. He hasn't seemed to really fit with Chelsea- I think their attacking play through the midfield and wings takes away his strength: finding space up front and getting launched one on one against a defender.
Chelsea plays him out of position, to his detriment and to Drogba's great benefit. Sheva needs to play up front.That said, I saw the interview (its on CNNSI.com) and his answer was no different than any player would give to the question. He said something about wanting to raise his kids in the US. He's got several years left in europe and I don't think there's any reason to think Sheva is any more likely than any other top player to follow Beckham.

Offa said:
Chelsea plays him out of position, to his detriment and to Drogba's great benefit. Sheva needs to play up front.That said, I saw the interview (its on CNNSI.com) and his answer was no different than any player would give to the question. He said something about wanting to raise his kids in the US. He's got several years left in europe and I don't think there's any reason to think Sheva is any more likely than any other top player to follow Beckham.
Not too mention the fact that any player in their prime would want significant money. Becks set the bar too high for the US to get any other big name. None of them have the name recognition that Beckham has in the US and so would not be able to get the cash. I am not saying they would demand the money Becks got, but they would have to be a significant amount to leave Europe.

Offa said:
Not too mention the fact that any player in their prime would want significant money. Becks set the bar too high for the US to get any other big name. None of them have the name recognition that Beckham has in the US and so would not be able to get the cash. I am not saying they would demand the money Becks got, but they would have to be a significant amount to leave Europe.
AEG's head honcho Tim Liewieke said that there are only 4 players on the planet who would move the needle enough to warrent their price.Becks (already signed)Zidane (constant rumors of him coming to MLS)Ronaldo (strong rumors early then died down. I could see him in MLS in 2 years though)Ronaldihno (can't see this happening for a long long time, unless MLS gets lucky and catches him on a free and offers him massive money)I personally would have added Christiano Ronaldo to this "move the needle" list who would be crazy popular up here in the heavy Portuguese Boston/Providence area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondering what might become of Jay DeMeritt, who never sniffed the MLS much less the USMNT before finding great success in the EPL with Watford. In my opinion, an example of the failure of US Soccer to identify young talent. With Watford being relegated and Jay D finally getting some playing time with the USMNT, I wonder whether he could be lured back stateside. My understanding is that relegation generally, but not always, frees a player from his contract. Any info on my boy from Green Bay?

Wondering what might become of Jay DeMeritt, who never sniffed the MLS much less the USMNT before finding great success in the EPL with Watford. In my opinion, an example of the failure of US Soccer to identify young talent. With Watford being relegated and Jay D finally getting some playing time with the USMNT, I wonder whether he could be lured back stateside. My understanding is that relegation generally, but not always, frees a player from his contract. Any info on my boy from Green Bay?
I haven't heard any chatter about him coming back across the pond. He's under contract with Watford through the 08-09 season, and everything their manager says seems to indicate that he expects him to be back with them in the Championship next season.

Toronto has to be very careful here in walking the thin line with the fans. No one wants people tossing stuff on to the field at every corner kick, but at the same time, the front office has to be VERY careful in not strangling what looks to be a very special atmosphere there.

They should do some research and see how the very lively Metro fan base was hogged tied and eventually made to feel so unwelcomed they stopped coming by extremely exuberant security.
:bag: Here's another bad move. :bag:

http://www.thestar.com/article/216659

Toronto has to be very careful here in walking the thin line with the fans. No one wants people tossing stuff on to the field at every corner kick, but at the same time, the front office has to be VERY careful in not strangling what looks to be a very special atmosphere there.

They should do some research and see how the very lively Metro fan base was hogged tied and eventually made to feel so unwelcomed they stopped coming by extremely exuberant security.
:unsure: Here's another bad move. :lmao:

:lmao: They're lucky they even have electricity up there... they should count themselves blessed to get Benefica and Aston Villa.

Wondering what might become of Jay DeMeritt, who never sniffed the MLS much less the USMNT before finding great success in the EPL with Watford. In my opinion, an example of the failure of US Soccer to identify young talent.
to be fair he was on the books with the Chicago Fire reserves I believe and failed miserably. He took one last long shot in England in non league and hit the jack pot in a League Cup game where he impressed a scout.

:deadhorse: Here's another bad move. :lmao:

be careful with that article.People who know ten million times as much as I do about MLS in Toronto are convinced that the author has a beef with the front office of TFC and wrote the article as a pure jab.

Safe to say that the majority of the online fan base does not seem to hold the same opinions of the couple of guys he quoted in the article.

;) Here's another bad move. :(

be careful with that article.People who know ten million times as much as I do about MLS in Toronto are convinced that the author has a beef with the front office of TFC and wrote the article as a pure jab.

Safe to say that the majority of the online fan base does not seem to hold the same opinions of the couple of guys he quoted in the article.
Good point. Feschuk can be a hack, and I wouldn't trust him either but I'm not sure what the counter argument would be to advertising more games than initially promoted for season ticket holders?With that said, an Argentina/Canada under 20 game is not much of a step down.

;) Here's another bad move. :(

:ptts: They're lucky they even have electricity up there... they should count themselves blessed to get Benefica and Aston Villa's B teams.
fixedBut this should have been buyer beware from the start. And with that said, I think most Portugese and English fans would go out and see the game regardless of the players suiting up.

:no: Here's another bad move. :lmao:

:lmao: They're lucky they even have electricity up there... they should count themselves blessed to get Benefica and Aston Villa's B teams.
fixedBut this should have been buyer beware from the start. And with that said, I think most Portugese and English fans would go out and see the game regardless of the players suiting up.
lol- that would suck. But are you sure about that? I've always been suprised at the quality of players that make the trip over here and actually play- maybe not for the whole game, but still play.

But this should have been buyer beware from the start. And with that said, I think most Portugese and English fans would go out and see the game regardless of the players suiting up.
Why would you fly all the way to America just to see your B side crush some opposition in a warm-up game? :wall:
I've always been suprised at the quality of players that make the trip over here and actually play- maybe not for the whole game, but still play.
$$$ speaks.

But this should have been buyer beware from the start. And with that said, I think most Portugese and English fans would go out and see the game regardless of the players suiting up.
Why would you fly all the way to America just to see your B side crush some opposition in a warm-up game? :yawn:
I meant Portugese and English living in Toronto. I believe this makes up a huge part of the attendance in these kinds of games.

Why would you fly all the way to America just to see your B side crush some opposition in a warm-up game? :cry:
speaking of confused, which B side is "crushing" MLS sides?Me thinks you have little knowledge of how MLS fairs in these types of games. Over the 12 year history, MLS sides actually have a winning record against Euro sides (for various reasons).Just last year DC embarassed a full strength Celtic side to the tune of 4-0.

lol- that would suck. But are you sure about that? I've always been suprised at the quality of players that make the trip over here and actually play- maybe not for the whole game, but still play.
you shouldn't be surprised as MLS has been very shrewd to write that into the contracts.The more of a full team the opposition brings and plays, the more they get paid.Usually both the MLS and Euro sides sub heavily after half time though making the second half more about scrubs than the starters.Its been this way for 12 seasons now. Euro sides come over for a vacation and suddenly encounter young MLS kids working their asses off to get noticed.It has made for some strange and even embarassing results over the years.

Me thinks you have little knowledge of how MLS fairs in these types of games.
Yeah, I have little knowledge of US football in general.
fair enough.If you are ever interested in learning more, just ask away. Many of us in this thread can help shatter some of the myths out there, like the notion that a B side could crush MLS teams in friendlies, when in reality the Euro A sides struggle to sometimes even get a draw.

Why would you fly all the way to America just to see your B side crush some opposition in a warm-up game? :own3d:
speaking of confused, which B side is "crushing" MLS sides?Me thinks you have little knowledge of how MLS fairs in these types of games.

Over the 12 year history, MLS sides actually have a winning record against Euro sides (for various reasons).

Just last year DC embarassed a full strength Celtic side to the tune of 4-0.
:lmao: Sorry, its been a rough start to the year, we have to celebrate what we can. :bag:

I know that in previous years, European sides were contractually obligated to bring their 'A' sides, at least with the Champions World seres. Does anyone know if there are any such clauses in the contracts for the teams coming over this year?

Wow, look whose rumored to be back in 2008!!

Yes!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/socc...ction=si_latest
Nice! As a Bay Area native, I am very, very pleased to hear this (as long as they don't call themselves the Oakland Stompers).When I saw that they didn't have a stadium in place, my first thought was that they should play in Kezar Stadium in SF. Googed it and found out this from Wikipedia:

The California Victory is a USL First Division professional soccer team based in San Francisco, California. It is an expansion team for the 2007 season.

On October 12, 2006, USL President Francisco Marcos announced Dmitry Piterman, a Ukrainian-American and chairman of Spanish club Deportivo Alavés, had officially acquired a USL First Division franchise beginning in the 2007 season.[1] The Victory will be the first European owned team to compete in any level of the United Soccer Leagues, and will also be the first USL First Division team in California since the demise of the San Diego Flash in 2001. The club will play in Kezar Stadium, former home of the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers.
Interesting stuff... at least to me.

you shouldn't be surprised as MLS has been very shrewd to write that into the contracts.The more of a full team the opposition brings and plays, the more they get paid.Usually both the MLS and Euro sides sub heavily after half time though making the second half more about scrubs than the starters.Its been this way for 12 seasons now. Euro sides come over for a vacation and suddenly encounter young MLS kids working their asses off to get noticed.It has made for some strange and even embarassing results over the years.
This is true- as suprising as it may be.But it should be pointed out that MLS is in mid-season and the Euro-teams are just starting their pre-season when these games are played, so the fitness and timing are always going to be off for the latter. That said, it's still somewhat of a testament to the MLS that elite teams can't come in and just walk all over them- even when walking's probably all they can do.

Nice! As a Bay Area native, I am very, very pleased to hear this (as long as they don't call themselves the Oakland Stompers).
MLS was smart to leave EVERYTHING behind when they moved, which includes all the history, the names and colors.The team will simply resurrect as the Earthquakes and move forward from there.

FWIW, my buddy's brother that is on the RSL practice squad hurt his knee again and his career might be done. Sad. He never got a chance to play in a real MLS game.

This is literally going to cause me pain to say, but......The Red Bulls looked good last night. Really good. :lmao: :lmao:
Angel is the best signing the league has made in many many years. He just looks like he is having fun and really wants to be there.And NY is doing this well and still battling injuries.Great to see the supporters section so full. I can't remember that section being so full for a long time. Hopefully the rest of the fan base that has been eroded by 12 years of horrendous soccer will start to find their way back.

andy_b said:
The Z Machine said:
FWIW, my buddy's brother that is on the RSL practice squad hurt his knee again and his career might be done. Sad. He never got a chance to play in a real MLS game.
crap that sucks to hear. What was his name?
Jeff Rowland . I just read that he actually made the full squad... Damn, that's terrible.

El Floppo said:
jpeace121 said:
This is literally going to cause me pain to say, but......The Red Bulls looked good last night. Really good. :lmao: :lmao:
:bye: Pissed I had to miss the game. I'll be interested in hearing the Junior's game report.
Wow. What a great experience.For those who missed it on tv, or on Sportscenter, the Red Bulls scored two goals in the first three minutes. Angel assisted on the first and scored on the second.The fans in the crazy section behind the goal went crazy! They have a band and a few hundred drunken fans up there. It really made the experience more fun.Althought the crowd was fairly small, which you can expect from a weeknight game, it was a very roudy crowd. Probably because of teh ESPN broadcast.Anyway, the momentum caused by the two early goals was too much for Chicago to overcome. ME and the guy in front of me were joking, after the second goal, that it seemed like a U7 game. If you take away those early goals, it was actually a very close game. New York's goalie played very well. He made one or two fantastic saves.As for the players, Juan Pablo Angel is theeal deal. He brings such an energy to the field. He scored twice and had an assist. Clint Mathis was invisible. I don't know if he just had a bad game or is over-the-hill, but I didn't see much out of him.One question....the program listed Chicago's Chris Rolfe as their leader in goals and assists for the year, but I ever saw him. Is he injured?In closing, it would have been great to see Claudio Reyna play, but it was an awesome game to watch and a memorable first game for my daughter.

El Floppo said:
jpeace121 said:
This is literally going to cause me pain to say, but......The Red Bulls looked good last night. Really good. :bag: :X
:pokey: Pissed I had to miss the game. I'll be interested in hearing the Junior's game report.
Wow. What a great experience.For those who missed it on tv, or on Sportscenter, the Red Bulls scored two goals in the first three minutes. Angel assisted on the first and scored on the second.The fans in the crazy section behind the goal went crazy! They have a band and a few hundred drunken fans up there. It really made the experience more fun.Althought the crowd was fairly small, which you can expect from a weeknight game, it was a very roudy crowd. Probably because of teh ESPN broadcast.Anyway, the momentum caused by the two early goals was too much for Chicago to overcome. ME and the guy in front of me were joking, after the second goal, that it seemed like a U7 game. If you take away those early goals, it was actually a very close game. New York's goalie played very well. He made one or two fantastic saves.As for the players, Juan Pablo Angel is theeal deal. He brings such an energy to the field. He scored twice and had an assist. Clint Mathis was invisible. I don't know if he just had a bad game or is over-the-hill, but I didn't see much out of him.One question....the program listed Chicago's Chris Rolfe as their leader in goals and assists for the year, but I ever saw him. Is he injured?In closing, it would have been great to see Claudio Reyna play, but it was an awesome game to watch and a memorable first game for my daughter.
Cool I am so glad you and your daughter enjoyed it. It did look like a fun game.Angel's second goal was so sweet. It might have been hard to appreciate live if you had a bad angle but if you watch a replay you will see the pure class in the goal.Rolfe was listed as questionable with an ankle sprain going into the game.Reyna continues to fight a groin strain.Hope you have the chance to see more games in the future. Red Bull looks great and they should only get better as the injuries improve.Mathis stands out more when Reyna is playing. Mathis was playing much deeper last night than normal due to Reyna's being out.

andy_b said:
El Floppo said:
jpeace121 said:
:bag: Pissed I had to miss the game. I'll be interested in hearing the Junior's game report.
Tivo down?
As a matter of fact, it is down... and out. Caused a real problem with the wiff the other night with Lost and AI going head to head...

El Floppo said:
jpeace121 said:
This is literally going to cause me pain to say, but......The Red Bulls looked good last night. Really good. :bag: :X
:pokey: Pissed I had to miss the game. I'll be interested in hearing the Junior's game report.
Fantastic stuff! It's a real eye-opener getting to see someone at the next level of class play live- the combo of work-rate and skills is a constant reminder to me why I could never have gotten to that next level. Seeing Zidane play the first time was :goodposting: The Fire- how'd they look in person? Was Mapp involved much? The games I've seen of them this year on TV have been really disappointing.

Houllier Leaves Lyon

LYON, France, May 25 (Reuters) - Former France and Liverpool coach Gerard Houllier stepped down as Olympique Lyon coach on Friday.

Witnesses told Reuters Houllier had informed his players he was quitting.

Houllier, 59, who joined the six-times champions in 2005, helped them win Ligue 1 titles in 2006 and again this year. He had said several times he would still coach Lyon next season but that did not stop the rumours that he might leave and they turned out to be true.

Lyon are still in a class of their own in France but what they desperately wanted was to make an impact in Europe, which they failed to do, falling to AS Roma in the first knockout round of the Champions League.

Houllier has also had to deal with internal discontent following his decision to leave Brazilian defender Claudio Cacapa, the former Lyon captain, out of his starting line-up.

Houllier has been linked with a job as a technical director at the French Football Federation (FFF). He denied last week having been approached by Dynamo Kiev. French media have named former France captain Didier Deschamps, the current Juventus coach, as a possible replacement for Houllier at Lyon.
Interesting timing, right after Sunil named Bradley permanent head coach.

andy_b said:
El Floppo said:
jpeace121 said:
:bag: Pissed I had to miss the game. I'll be interested in hearing the Junior's game report.
Tivo down?
As a matter of fact, it is down... and out. Caused a real problem with the wiff the other night with Lost and AI going head to head...
unacceptable.I have weakknees.com on the speed dial to overnight a drive when mine eventually go bad :D

Houllier Leaves Lyon

LYON, France, May 25 (Reuters) - Former France and Liverpool coach Gerard Houllier stepped down as Olympique Lyon coach on Friday.

Witnesses told Reuters Houllier had informed his players he was quitting.

Houllier, 59, who joined the six-times champions in 2005, helped them win Ligue 1 titles in 2006 and again this year. He had said several times he would still coach Lyon next season but that did not stop the rumours that he might leave and they turned out to be true.

Lyon are still in a class of their own in France but what they desperately wanted was to make an impact in Europe, which they failed to do, falling to AS Roma in the first knockout round of the Champions League.

Houllier has also had to deal with internal discontent following his decision to leave Brazilian defender Claudio Cacapa, the former Lyon captain, out of his starting line-up.

Houllier has been linked with a job as a technical director at the French Football Federation (FFF). He denied last week having been approached by Dynamo Kiev. French media have named former France captain Didier Deschamps, the current Juventus coach, as a possible replacement for Houllier at Lyon.
Interesting timing, right after Sunil named Bradley permanent head coach.
:confused: Never been that impressed with Houllier, however... a sea-monkey could coach Lyons to a championship.

Well so much for Becks being washed up and retiring in MLS.

Anyone who has seen him play the last handful of games for Madrid has seen him in excellent form.

Today he was rewarded with a recall to the England National Team for an upcoming friending and Euro Qualifier

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...813&cc=5901
Yup, I've been saying that for months. Probably since the England snub happened.Becks is a true professional and still has some great skills. He's a fantastic addition to MLS. I just hope he doens't help Real win La Liga this year.

Roster is out for the US China game

The roster for the China game:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton, England), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham, England), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium), Frank Simek (Sheffield Wednesday, England), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United, England)

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburg SV, Germany), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Jesse Marsch (Chivas USA), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands)

Forwards: Charlie Davies (Hammarby, Denmark), Kamani Hill (VfL Wolfsburg, Germany), Ante Razov (Chivas USA).

====================================================================

Note the new names of Davies and Hill. We first talked about Davies back on post 126 in this thread.

The lineup is Chivas heavy due to them not having a game that day.

Steven Goff is reporting on his blog that Real Salt Lake is close to agreeing to terms with Kasey Keller:

Keller Deal Done?

I am hearing that winless Real Salt Lake and Kasey Keller are in the final stages of negotiations and that the veteran goalkeeper is close to agreeing to a deal. John Ellinger, who was dismissed as coach but remains in the front office, has been in direct contact with Keller in hopes of finalizing it. The deal would apparently be for 2 1/2 years. Things could still go wrong, one source cautioned, but talks have progressed substantially the past two weeks.

Steven Goff is reporting on his blog that Real Salt Lake is close to agreeing to terms with Kasey Keller:

Keller Deal Done?

I am hearing that winless Real Salt Lake and Kasey Keller are in the final stages of negotiations and that the veteran goalkeeper is close to agreeing to a deal. John Ellinger, who was dismissed as coach but remains in the front office, has been in direct contact with Keller in hopes of finalizing it. The deal would apparently be for 2 1/2 years. Things could still go wrong, one source cautioned, but talks have progressed substantially the past two weeks.
Keller deserves to finish his career without having to bounce around Europe. The guy is still a top-flight GK and will make a Real difference for Real SL. It'll be good to have him home.

Users who are viewing this thread