What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

The Mignolet no-call was analyzed poorly by the nbc crew. There simply wasn't a good angle to see where Migs was when the ball hit him. The camera was behind the line, not looking directly down the line. It's like a goal line cam in football 5 yards away from the goal line being used to make a decision.

The Mignolet no-call was analyzed poorly by the nbc crew. There simply wasn't a good angle to see where Migs was when the ball hit him. The camera was behind the line, not looking directly down the line. It's like a goal line cam in football 5 yards away from the goal line being used to make a decision.
How dare you call into question the Robbies...............

The Mignolet thing... too bang-bang and too close to call without a better angle.

First glance from live tv view sure as #### looked like he was outside the box though.

From ESPN

A league source who asked not to be identified indicated that MLS and its owners remain staunchly opposed to any kind of internal free agency. In addition to controlling costs, there is a desire on the part of MLS to protect the single entity system upon which it is based. Instead, the source highlighted that MLS intends to offer the union significant increases in both the salary cap and minimum salaries.
The players remain unified, at least publicly, that they won't be "bought" with salary to compromise free agency, which is what I always hoped would be the compromise.

A year ago everyone predicted free agency was going to be the main issue and with two weeks to go, it still looks like the main sticking point.

The only good news is that the two sides both say they are further along in talks than they were at the same point in 2010.

This week, some owners intend to sit down with the players and the mediator for the first time instead of using representatives.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mignolet thing... too bang-bang and too close to call without a better angle.

First glance from live tv view sure as #### looked like he was outside the box though.
I don't know what camera angle you were looking at, but he was over the line by at least a yard.

jonessed said:
El Floppo said:

I don't know what camera angle you were looking at, but he was over the line by at least a yard.
A yard isn't much when you are on the other side of the field and the penalty is a redcard. I'm sure one day soccer will go to instant replay, but for now judgment calls seem to be a big part of it, and that just wasn't clear enough to warrant that big of a penalty, imo.

lol @ the Guardian:

Chelsea appealed in the 43rd minute when Costa collapsed in the box following contact from Jason Shackell. Mourinho, who claims his striker gets a raw deal from officials, threw his arms to the skies in supposed disbelief when the referee waved play on, but the decision seemed fair – Shackell’s hands did touch Costa but it was hardly the sort of shove that would, for example, prevent a commuter from boarding a train.
ooof

jonessed said:
El Floppo said:

I think he meant the angle for the linesman. When I saw the replay, it looks like the linesman is running down the sideline to get inline with the 18yard box, but he's about 5 yards off. Tough for him to make the call that he was definitely outside, especially since Mignolet was running, jumping, and was in the air when the ball struck his arm.

jonessed said:
El Floppo said:

I think he meant the angle for the linesman. When I saw the replay, it looks like the linesman is running down the sideline to get inline with the 18yard box, but he's about 5 yards off. Tough for him to make the call that he was definitely outside, especially since Mignolet was running, jumping, and was in the air when the ball struck his arm.
Photo

Current odds of reaching the CL (Chelsea and City off):

Code:
Arsenal	        76.2%United	        53.4%Liverpool	32.7%Soton	        21.8%Tottenham	14.0%West Ham	 1.2%Swansea	         0.3%Stoke	         0.2%Newcastle	 0.1%Everton	         0.1%

jonessed said:
El Floppo said:

A yard isn't much when you are on the other side of the field and the penalty is a redcard. I'm sure one day soccer will go to instant replay, but for now judgment calls seem to be a big part of it, and that just wasn't clear enough to warrant that big of a penalty, imo.
yeah- that was my point.

I don't think he knew anything about the handle either way. The ball bounced at a sharp angle and came off his chest in a hurry. His arm was out as part of the jump, but IMO he never made a move to play it. YMMV

jonessed said:
El Floppo said:

Photo
that's even closer than I imagined.

tilt the camera around to be straight down the line and that ball is getting close to being right at the line. live, it seemed like it was pretty cut and dry hand-ball. but that might have been my feelings of injustice from the first half botched PK bubbling up.

didn't mention it earlier... that Coutinho goal was pretty amazing. the real difference between the two teams- you make a tiny mistake in your marking and Liverpool have enough guys with the quality to destroy you at least once. Saints had some similar chances but flubbed their last ball every time.

I don't think he knew anything about the handle either way. The ball bounced at a sharp angle and came off his chest in a hurry. His arm was out as part of the jump, but IMO he never made a move to play it. YMMV
I don't follow the "letter of the law" with my interpretation of handball... I use what seems right to me. IMO, if your arms are out and in an unnatural position- handball. I don't buy the hand to ball or intent nonsense. it is a fine line between "out" and close to your body though... so it's often a tough/subjective call. but the amount of times a guy will actually reach their hand to ball are next to none- unless it's u8 or it's Henry.

eta: so with that Mignolet play- he had his arms extended to catch at first, and they were still there when the bounce happens off his chest. to me, hand ball.

Wonder who South America would side with if there was a meaningful Europe vs Africa/Asia split in FIFA?
Europe most likely - assuming CONCACAF (USA) went with Europe.

I know Asia is a growing market, but I have to think the money is far better in a European/American confederation.

jonessed said:
El Floppo said:

Photo
Yeah, that's what I thought. Tough for the lines man to know with 100% certainty that he was outside.

Wonder who South America would side with if there was a meaningful Europe vs Africa/Asia split in FIFA?
Europe most likely - assuming CONCACAF (USA) went with Europe.

I know Asia is a growing market, but I have to think the money is far better in a European/American confederation.
I wouldn't be so sure on that...if memory serves Brazil and Argentina were two of the FAs behind the whole Russia/Qatar nonsense and much of CONCACAF was as well (we seem to forget how many minnows our region really has). I think the breakdown is something like Western Europe, Canada, US, Jordan, Aussie, Japan, and maybe China versus everyone else.

Right now it's really just Petrodollars (and those they control with payoffs) versus established economies. As I said a page or two ago, until last week the Petrodollars were swamping everything, now at least countries can see how much money is really at stake with the England's new TV contract, so you may start to see even more grumblings.

lol @ the Guardian:

Chelsea appealed in the 43rd minute when Costa collapsed in the box following contact from Jason Shackell. Mourinho, who claims his striker gets a raw deal from officials, threw his arms to the skies in supposed disbelief when the referee waved play on, but the decision seemed fair – Shackell’s hands did touch Costa but it was hardly the sort of shove that would, for example, prevent a commuter from boarding a train.
ooof
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

lol @ the Guardian:

ooof
:lmao: :lmao:

lol @ the Guardian:

ooof
West Ham supporters getting in on the fun.

lol @ the Guardian:

ooof
:lmao: :lmao:
:lmao:

I don't follow the "letter of the law" with my interpretation of handball... I use what seems right to me. IMO, if your arms are out and in an unnatural position- handball. I don't buy the hand to ball or intent nonsense. it is a fine line between "out" and close to your body though... so it's often a tough/subjective call. but the amount of times a guy will actually reach their hand to ball are next to none- unless it's u8 or it's Henry.

eta: so with that Mignolet play- he had his arms extended to catch at first, and they were still there when the bounce happens off his chest. to me, hand ball.
I agree with this completely. Most handballs are not intentional. If your arm is out then its a handball. Also, if you are a keeper and making yourself bigger to cut down the angle to the goal and your arms are outstretched the "did not intend" goes out the window for me as well. You actually intended to by making yourself bigger. Just my thought really.

And in the replays I saw last night I do not see where it hit mignolet's chest. I saw his arm come down and the ball hit his hand. Did I miss the chest part (not that it matters, he stopped a goal scoring opp with his had out of the box).

I think what bothers me most about handballs are they have become like a catch in the NFL. Noone really seems to know what the rule is anymore. And each ref calls it different. There is no consistency from Ref to ref. Handball should be the easiest to call. Did it hit the hand or arm? Was the hand/arm away from his body? For Keepers is he out of his box? If any of them are a no, its not a handball.

And United :wall: :wall: :wall: Happy to see Herrera back on and Rooney up top. RVP and Falaco play the same role, Rooney at least changes it up. All Fellaini does is foul people and play a tree. He cant win a header against smaller people and his movement is less then everyone else.

My lineup 4-4-2:

Rooney Falcao

ADM Mata Herrera

Blind

Shaw and Rojo then 2 of Jones, Rafael or Valencia and maybe McNair

or could even go 4-5-1

Rooney

ADM Mata Januzaj

Blind Herrera

Shaw Rojo Jones Valencia (or rafael or mcnair)

I agree with this completely. Most handballs are not intentional. If your arm is out then its a handball. Also, if you are a keeper and making yourself bigger to cut down the angle to the goal and your arms are outstretched the "did not intend" goes out the window for me as well. You actually intended to by making yourself bigger. Just my thought really.

And in the replays I saw last night I do not see where it hit mignolet's chest. I saw his arm come down and the ball hit his hand. Did I miss the chest part (not that it matters, he stopped a goal scoring opp with his had out of the box).

I think what bothers me most about handballs are they have become like a catch in the NFL. Noone really seems to know what the rule is anymore. And each ref calls it different. There is no consistency from Ref to ref. Handball should be the easiest to call. Did it hit the hand or arm? Was the hand/arm away from his body? For Keepers is he out of his box? If any of them are a no, its not a handball.
I don't think there's an issue in this case whether or not it was a handball. The ball hits his hand. The issue with this instance was that the linesman wasn't in a position where he could with certainty say Migs was inside his 18yd box, or a foot or so outside.

ETA: Screenshot that jaysus posted up-thread: https://nbcprosoccertalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/screen-shot-2015-02-22-at-6-52-09-pm-e1424649232633.png

I don't think there's an issue in this case whether or not it was a handball. The ball hits his hand. The issue with this instance was that the linesman wasn't in a position where he could with certainty say Migs was inside his 18yd box, or a foot or so outside.

ETA: Screenshot that jaysus posted up-thread: https://nbcprosoccertalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/screen-shot-2015-02-22-at-6-52-09-pm-e1424649232633.png
I was referencing the blowed up bit above.

certainty from linesman and/or ref is another issue.

I was referencing the blowed up bit above.

certainty from linesman and/or ref is another issue.
gotcha

Users who are viewing this thread