Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Raider Nation

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

That is kind of missing the point of the show, then. I know some just wanted the mob stuff all the time, but the balance they struck was perfect. 

It WAS the point of the show then it just became a drag.

Not to mention that at the end of the show it was all tossed out the window when Melfi realized that Tony was a sociopath and their talks weren't really therapeutic.  

Season 5, after AJ spends the night in a hotel in the city, this scene might be one of the funniest in the show. 

Tony enters the house, AJ walking down the stairs:

AJ: Oh, hey dad, I was just taking out the trash, it's garbage day tomorrow. 

Tony (looking weirdly at AJ): What's different about you? 

Carmella (making an angry face and raising her voice): He has no eyebrows, Tony!

If you have some sort of sexual proclivity with that teacher, now is the time to tell us! What went on over there, poppers and weird sex!!

https://youtu.be/XS7mjqqhrBQ?t=116

:lmao:

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Season 5, after AJ spends the night in a hotel in the city, this scene might be one of the funniest in the show. 

Carmella (making an angry face and raising her voice): He has no eyebrows, Tony!

If you have some sort of sexual proclivity with that teacher, now is the time to tell us! What went on over there, poppers and weird sex!!

Incredible scene.  I love when Tony gets all "don't get dramatic" with mopey body language when Carmela says that AJ can go live with him, and as soon as AJ goes, "great, good," Tony in the blink of an eye turns back into stern dad and yells, "shut up," with a finger point. :lol: 

• Like 1

So this has been bothering me since I saw it a few weeks ago — season 4, Paulie and Chris shoot a waiter at the seafood place in AC. Now I get that Paulie said nobody knows us down there, but COME ON. A table full of notorious gangsters and then a dead waiter who ran their table and nobody puts it together? 

Thought it was one of the more unrealistic scenes on the show. 

55 minutes ago, Capella said:

And almost any scene between Vito and that johnnycake waiter/firefighter.

Edited by Tin Cup

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Saw this a week ago, thought the exact same thing. 

7 minutes ago, Tin Cup said:

And almost any scene between Vito and that johnnycake waiter/firefighter.

Prob my least favorite plot line of the entire show. 

On 2/2/2019 at 5:20 PM, RJS113 said:

I’ve always wanted to watch it, but never got around to it. I have the next couple weeks off of work while I recover from surgery, so starting my binge with episode one right now. 

I’m already a few episodes into season 5. Fantastic show. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I was just talking to a friend about that scene last night :lmao:

On 4/21/2019 at 6:23 AM, Ghost Rider said:

Have you heard the news? 

He has risen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

He has risen.

Unfortunately, he never had the makings of a varsity athlete.  

• Like 3

On 2/13/2019 at 11:13 AM, fantasycurse42 said:

I've been saying this to my kid so long I forgot it came from the Sopranos.  My daughter could have a new hairstyle, new clothes, carrying something and I'll always drop the, "what's different about you?"

there is really nothing better than livia.  sees larry boy barese at the wedding season 1:

"Are you still seeing your other women, Lorenzo?"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

there is really nothing better than livia.  sees larry boy barese at the wedding season 1:

"Are you still seeing your other women, Lorenzo?"

Livia: You know somebody called here last night.....after dark

Tony: Who?

Livia: You think I answered, it was dark out

• Like 1

Livia: "You ear...it's disfigured."

oh man, season 2 is so great.  Episode 5 is in the running for best of the entire series.  Not a wasted moment.

Furio comes over from Italy

Beats the #### out of Dominic

Chris is in the acting class and punches Alan

Melfi rants at Kupferburg and storms out, then decides to take Tony back

Tony and Hesh scenes when Tony needs a therapist.  Hesh tells Tony about his father's panic attacks.

Janice and Richie get together, with the piece de resistance, the greatest scene ever, where Tony goes over to yell at Janice about taking a loan on their mother's house and Richie opens the door in his underwear, completely flabbergasting Tony.

10 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

oh man, season 2 is so great.  Episode 5 is in the running for best of the entire series.  Not a wasted moment.

Furio comes over from Italy

Beats the #### out of Dominic

Chris is in the acting class and punches Alan

Melfi rants at Kupferburg and storms out, then decides to take Tony back

Tony and Hesh scenes when Tony needs a therapist.  Hesh tells Tony about his father's panic attacks.

Janice and Richie get together, with the piece de resistance, the greatest scene ever, where Tony goes over to yell at Janice about taking a loan on their mother's house and Richie opens the door in his underwear, completely flabbergasting Tony.

There were men better looking in the can than Janice. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

There were men better looking in the can than Janice. 

maybe it's "the jaaaaacket"

Edited by Major
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

the scene shortly after where Richie tries to make nice to Tony by making him some breakfast and Tony can't help but be a #### and Richie steps to him with the fork dripping in scrambled eggs was so good!

• Like 1

Anyone going to Sopranos.con

Paulie, Big (Feline), Furio and even Pie-Oh-My are going to be in attendance. They built a replica of Pine Barrens. Over/under on the number of times someone says to Tony Sirico "Mix it with the relish" +1000. 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/local/2019/11/23/sopranoscon-fans-flood-secaucus-nj-pay-tribute-hbo-show/4283792002/

Edited by Encyclopedia Brown
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 4:27 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

i wish the lord would take me

Your ear, it's disfigured. 

On 7/16/2019 at 7:27 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

i wish the lord would take me

Great show but I still wonder what it could have/would have been if the actress playing Tony's mom hadn't passed. She was the best. 

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Great show but I still wonder what it could have/would have been if the actress playing Tony's mom hadn't passed. She was the best. 

of course.  supposedly chase would have had her and tony reconcile, thought not totally sure who that could have happened if she really had borderline personality disorder.

i think it kind of turned out the way that it should have.  tony was a sociopath and could not be redeemed.  que sera sera

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

of course.  supposedly chase would have had her and tony reconcile, thought not totally sure who that could have happened if she really had borderline personality disorder.

i think it kind of turned out the way that it should have.  tony was a sociopath and could not be redeemed.  que sera sera

Turned out great. Just will always wonder how the original outline would have played out.  I haven't seen a show close to being that good in awhile.  

In re-watching clips from some of the earlier seasons, I have come to appreciate Brendan Filone a little bit more. He was profoundly stupid, hilariously so. But unlike Christaphuh, Jackie Jr., and the two knuckleheads who tried to whack Chrissy, Brendan seemed to know he was a moron and just went with it.

The laugh over his witticism about Jackie Sr. and "chemo-sabe" and Tony's response: https://youtu.be/jaEMZ_jeR4s?t=46 

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me, I picked up the Sopranos in the middle of season 2. I'd just moved to LA and friends I hung out with used to have viewing parties so that was my introduction. It was pretty easy to get up to speed on the characters, but, in the 1999/2000 era and not having HBO myself, going back to watch from the beginning just wasn't a thing.

I also haven't watched any episodes since they originally aired. I'd always meant to give it a go, just never got around to it.

So, I'm going back to the start, this weekend, with season 1, episode 1, and will go from there.

Edited by Walking Boot
  • Like 5

On 2/9/2020 at 7:17 PM, Walking Boot said:

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me, I picked up the Sopranos in the middle of season 2. I'd just moved to LA and friends I hung out with used to have viewing parties so that was my introduction. It was pretty easy to get up to speed on the characters, but, in the 1999/2000 era and not having HBO myself, going back to watch from the beginning just wasn't a thing.

I also haven't watched any episodes since they originally aired. I'd always meant to give it a go, just never got around to it.

So, I'm going back to the start, this weekend, with season 1, episode 1, and will go from there.

How's it going so far? 

40 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

How's it going so far? 

Just started season 2. Season 1 was a little slow in places but I'm enjoying it. 

20 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Just started season 2. Season 1 was a little slow in places but I'm enjoying it. 

i've been re-watching over the past few months.  Just started season 6 again.

i've watched the whole series multiple times, but seeing things fairly differently this time. 

I also find the Tony B storyline kind of odd.  It feels like it was a bit of a waste and his character wasn't that fully developed.  really just a vehicle to tell us about tony's guilt and the way he operates.  

• Like 1

Perfect timing for me: "Talking Sopranos" starts in April

The Sopranos stars Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa, who respectively played Christopher Moltisanti and Bobby “Bacala” Baccalieri, will host the new podcast Talking Sopranos which is dropping this April on Apple, Spotify, YouTube and other podcast platforms.

This podcast will follow The Sopranos series episode by episode providing inside info, behind the scenes stories and little-known facts that could only come from those on the inside. The close friends will also share candid conversations about working in the entertainment industry.

• Like 4

I've been rewatching a decent amount over the last couple weeks. Caught an amazing line early in season 3 that I never noticed before. When Johnny Sack bought the house in Jersey and had everyone over, the guys are outside admiring the property and when Johnny leaves, the conversion goes:

Paulie (I think): how much you think he paid for this place? 

Sylvio: The landscaping alone has to be 100-150 grand!

Gigi: And property taxes...you gotta pay those!

I am low-key wondering if something I was tangentially involved in back in the late 90s in NYC will be specifically mentioned or alluded to as an inspiration for a plotline that emerged in the show a couple of years after. I've always wondered if the writers were aware.

Edited by Walking Boot

6 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

I am low-key wondering if something I was tangentially involved in back in the late 90s in NYC will be specifically mentioned or alluded to as an inspiration for a plotline that emerged in the show a couple of years after. I've always wondered if the writers were aware.

poppers and weird sex?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

Bass player for visiting day?

• Like 1

"When you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce."

"This is our hell, T. An Irish bar where it's always St. Patrick's Day."

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2020 at 6:10 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

Bass player for visiting day?

Too bad that band never broke.  That singer was something special.  He took time off from Kinko's and had the experience of having recorded in Denmark; he should have been a star. 

Edited by Ghost Rider

3 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

so Phil was definitely gay, right?

It was weird to spot Vito as 'just some schmuck civilian' in a season 1 episode before he joined the show for real in season 2.

• Like 1

Just now, Walking Boot said:

It was weird to spot Vito as 'just some schmuck civilian' in a season 1 episode before he joined the show for real in season 2.

also weird that johnnycakes was attracted to him at all.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

so Phil was definitely gay, right?

He did come out of the closet when Vito got whacked.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Some fun trivia:

Vito's wife  on the show, Marie, is Lorraine Bracco's sister in real life.

Oh man, the opening of season 3, episode 1

I remember watching this at a viewing party with friends. That Peter Gunn theme starts, and it's fun and you smile, yeah, spy moves, OK.

But then, that mashup starts with "Every Breath You Take", and it was stunning. I remember when that swept through the room. I don't know if this is the first mainstream mashup, but, it ####### rocked the party. Just "Whoa, this is amazing," then awe and appreciation. Just brilliant. 

• Like 1