Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Raider Nation

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread

:lmao: What a bunch of wimps. The outrage!!!It was fine. Better than I thought it would be.

Better then you thought it would be?I think most were like me. Staring at the clock in disbelief every ten minutes waiting for anything to happen. I don't need a gun battle either. Maybe something funny or sentimental. Instead we get AJ talking about joining the Army or him producing a movie. The finale was weak from start to finish. Chase is incredible. A genius. But that doesn't make this finale any less a misfire.

:lmao: What a bunch of wimps. The outrage!!!It was fine. Better than I thought it would be.

Better then you thought it would be?
than

;) What a bunch of wimps. The outrage!!!It was fine. Better than I thought it would be.

Sometimes I wonder what show people have watched for 86 episodes. Expecting a huge, ridiculous Scarface shootout? CHECKWondering why they're focused on his family? CHECKComplaining about Tony's therapy? CHECKUnsatisfied and complaining about no resolution? CHECKIt's been this way throughout. Either some of you people are extremely hard-headed, just don't get it, just don't care or are in denial about what the show is about. Unbelievable.
Good posting.I'd like to thank these people for watching though. Because of them The Sopranos was able to reach 86.
Nobody's watching Big Love, yet that's coming back for another season. :lmao:
My wife is excited about Big Love. Hopefully I can cancel HBO tomorrow morning and they'll cut it off before 8pm.

Better then you thought it would be?
than
Doing that must come off better in person.

;) What a bunch of wimps. The outrage!!!It was fine. Better than I thought it would be.

Sometimes I wonder what show people have watched for 86 episodes. Expecting a huge, ridiculous Scarface shootout? CHECKWondering why they're focused on his family? CHECKComplaining about Tony's therapy? CHECKUnsatisfied and complaining about no resolution? CHECKIt's been this way throughout. Either some of you people are extremely hard-headed, just don't get it, just don't care or are in denial about what the show is about. Unbelievable.
Good posting.I'd like to thank these people for watching though. Because of them The Sopranos was able to reach 86.
Nobody's watching Big Love, yet that's coming back for another season. :lmao:
My wife is excited about Big Love. Hopefully I can cancel HBO tomorrow morning and they'll cut it off before 8pm.
dick

Interesting theory here from an anonymous blogger:

All episodes are presented from T's perspective. Tony enters the restrauant, but the director puts him temporally displaced, actually watching himself seated, to remind us of that fact.Meadow is upset; she needs to talk to Dad (after all, she is a Mob lawyer) perhaps to warn him. Her agitation makes her attempt to parallel park difficult.A man with a form-fitting Member's Only coat (you remember those - the 80's Journey song about a small town boy helps us notice that) Maybe he is settling a score for Phil, who was locked with him up for 20 years, and he only has wardrobe from that era - and is short on cash, hence Phil's plan "B". He enters the restraunt, following AJ, but Tony dismisses him since that tight coat could not conceal a weapon (Tony would pick up on that) and the guy uses the bathroom. That's where the gun is.Tony is seated in the direct line of fire from the bathrooom, which is excecuted at the moment he sees his daughter enter the restaraunt - the last thing he sees. Again, since the show framend in his perspetive, the screen simply goes blank.We can assume that by the time Meadow gets to the restraunt door, Tony looks at her, not seeing the .380 directed at this temple. (A scenario not unlike Phil, who is admonshing his wife about a perscription pick-up when he is killed.) He is reflecting on AJ's comment to remember the good times, and he is glad to see Meadow. Then the shot is fired.Tony's last moment is enjoying his family, remembering the good times, and feeling the relief all parents feel when first seeing a child that is overdue. Not bad for a guy who had it comming.Remember a previous episode: you never hear the bullet that kills you.

:lmao:

Janice: Bobby's dead

Junior: the Ambassador hotel

lol

What/Who was the artist on the CD that AJ was listening to as he was about to commit a felony by having sex with a minor?

dick

Just kidding, sweetheart. Didn't know you posted here.

Janice: Bobby's deadJunior: the Ambassador hotellol

GB getting plenty of Junior and Pauly in this episode. 2 of the best characters ever.

All episodes are presented from T's perspective. Tony enters the restrauant, but the director puts him temporally displaced, actually watching himself seated, to remind us of that fact.Meadow is upset; she needs to talk to Dad (after all, she is a Mob lawyer) perhaps to warn him. Her agitation makes her attempt to parallel park difficult.A man with a form-fitting Member's Only coat (you remember those - the 80's Journey song about a small town boy helps us notice that) Maybe he is settling a score for Phil, who was locked with him up for 20 years, and he only has wardrobe from that era - and is short on cash, hence Phil's plan "B". He enters the restraunt, following AJ, but Tony dismisses him since that tight coat could not conceal a weapon (Tony would pick up on that) and the guy uses the bathroom. That's where the gun is.Tony is seated in the direct line of fire from the bathrooom, which is excecuted at the moment he sees his daughter enter the restaraunt - the last thing he sees. Again, since the show framend in his perspetive, the screen simply goes blank.We can assume that by the time Meadow gets to the restraunt door, Tony looks at her, not seeing the .380 directed at this temple. (A scenario not unlike Phil, who is admonshing his wife about a perscription pick-up when he is killed.) He is reflecting on AJ's comment to remember the good times, and he is glad to see Meadow. Then the shot is fired.Tony's last moment is enjoying his family, remembering the good times, and feeling the relief all parents feel when first seeing a child that is overdue. Not bad for a guy who had it comming.Remember a previous episode: you never hear the bullet that kills you.

That was my first impression when the screen went black. There was something missing with the way the scene was executed and it didn't have that punched in the gut impact.
I want to believe the blackout signified Tony being whacked, but who would be after him if he made the peace with NY and had the ok to whack Phil?

:thumbup:
That was my first impression when the screen went black. There was something missing with the way the scene was executed and it didn't have that punched in the gut impact.
I want to believe the blackout signified Tony being whacked, but who would be after him if he made the peace with NY and had the ok to whack Phil?
I'm sure somebody will make that up too, just like they made up all the stuff above.Sure is a reach and a hell of a lot to keep hidden from the audience. Wonder if all that was in italics, in the screenplay?

in the end, when tony is raking leaves -- what is that he hears? ducks? notice he says "I have to go see somebody now (junior)" after looking up to the sky.

I only ask because Chase at one point did make a deal about tying the first and the last together.

Edited by Capella

Did anyone else assume the "Made in America" was referring to the Ford that added insult to injury with Phil's death? Found it strange that they showed the Ford logo close up multiple times during that scene.

Or was that Chevy's slogan? Or just a cheap advertisement? :thumbup:

I guess when you are in that life and have made that many enemies, there is always a target on your back. There is always someone with motivation to whack you. That being said, I don't think that was meant to symbolize Tony's death.

Maybe the cat had him whacked, to avenge Christopher.

That's my current theory.

Maybe the cat had him whacked, to avenge Christopher.That's my current theory.

Entirely possible, that cat got around. It even showed up after Walnuts agrees to take charge of the construction business in front of the restaurant.

Maybe the cat had him whacked, to avenge Christopher.That's my current theory.

:thumbup: And shouldn't the cat have represented Big #####?

That cat was seen talking to the Feds in season III, episode V in the twenty-fourth minute. No ####### way it had anything to do with the whacking, and those that think so will see my fury at Soprano-con '08.

also note, Tony ate an orange when visiting the family at their hideout house

the article capella posted earlier mentioned the 9th episode being connected to betrayal. Tony said the cat was a "good guy"...then the Cat turns around and clips him at an ice cream parlor. all makes perfect sense.

Cat probably becomes the new boss of Jersey now. Could get his own spinoff show even.

All episodes are presented from T's perspective. Tony enters the restrauant, but the director puts him temporally displaced, actually watching himself seated, to remind us of that fact.

Meadow is upset; she needs to talk to Dad (after all, she is a Mob lawyer) perhaps to warn him. Her agitation makes her attempt to parallel park difficult.

A man with a form-fitting Member's Only coat (you remember those - the 80's Journey song about a small town boy helps us notice that) Maybe he is settling a score for Phil, who was locked with him up for 20 years, and he only has wardrobe from that era - and is short on cash, hence Phil's plan "B". He enters the restraunt, following AJ, but Tony dismisses him since that tight coat could not conceal a weapon (Tony would pick up on that) and the guy uses the bathroom. That's where the gun is.

Tony is seated in the direct line of fire from the bathrooom, which is excecuted at the moment he sees his daughter enter the restaraunt - the last thing he sees. Again, since the show framend in his perspetive, the screen simply goes blank.

We can assume that by the time Meadow gets to the restraunt door, Tony looks at her, not seeing the .380 directed at this temple. (A scenario not unlike Phil, who is admonshing his wife about a perscription pick-up when he is killed.) He is reflecting on AJ's comment to remember the good times, and he is glad to see Meadow. Then the shot is fired.

Tony's last moment is enjoying his family, remembering the good times, and feeling the relief all parents feel when first seeing a child that is overdue. Not bad for a guy who had it comming.

Remember a previous episode: you never hear the bullet that kills you.

Ask your friend on the wall in there

the cat seemed to me to be the ghost of Christopher or to represent Chris- another abandoned stray that Tony took in, just like Chris

awesome episode.

:thumbup:I just got done watching it....wow. That was a great episode. I love the ending, except that AJ didn't die.

Here's the episode in a nutshell:

Paulie walks into the Bing manager's room with a box and throws it on the table.

Paulie Anybody need some barber scissors? Ton?

Bennie and the others jump up and go to the box for their scissors.

Tony Put some next to my coat.

Got it. Genius stuff. Annoying, but genius. Just wish we had a look at another payoff even if this was the right one. Edited by Nipsey

brilliant writing by chase.no one thought about a cat doing it.just brilliant.

I think your syllable count is off a bit in this haiku.

This is all interpretation, though. We can interpret things that don't occur onscreen a million different ways. Maybe Meadow wasn't late because she was getting new pills; maybe she was late because she's been having a torrid lesbian love affair with Blanca. That theory is just as valid since Chase is leaving it open to viewer interpretation. The only thing we do know for certain is what is presented to us onscreen. And the final image of Tony Soprano in this series is him being alive. No shooter; no gun; no nothing. Just a night out with his family.If we're going to interpret I'll stand by my theory that the Al Pacino-esque character was really sent there to kill A.J. on behalf of all of us who were sick of seeing so much of him in the finale.That's as valid as any other interpretation anyone can present.

the other songs on the juke box...those were the daysonly the strong survivei gotta be me

Magic Man by Heart (the live version).

That Jamie-Lynn Sigler is awfully clever. She was on one of the late night talk shows a few weeks ago (I think Conan or Leno) and said her last scene was emotional. She said she just walked through the door and that was it. Little did we know that she was basically telling us how it would all end.

fyi...if it was tonys pov that went black then i would totaly buy the tony is dead theory but the camera stops on a single of him.

also i dont think tony sees himself as he enters the diner, its cuts to him sitting there...

We are the Sopranos and our lives are meaningless. It just goes on (and on and on and on) until it ends and we get caught up in stuff that means nothing, like this show.

I take back everything I said. GREAT episode/ending. Damn you David Chase, you sneaky, cheeky bastard!

east coast/west coast?

the hbo boards have tons of people saying one feed showed meadow coming in and the other feed showed tony's face and no meadow.

what would the reason be for this?

The ending reminded me a lot of the end to Rocky I. It is the glimpse of a man- who for that brief moment in time- was on top. Rocky had his respect and Adrian, while Tony has his respect, life and his family. Tony is able to sit at in public, see the various individuals about and know he and his family is safe. He no longer has to look over his shoulder waiting for Phil's hitman. He can be in peace with his family. Meadow rushing in was very familiar to Adrian rushing the ring. The family was finally reunited in good terms, something that hasn't happened in a long time and may never happen again. It ends with what might be one light apex for the protagonist before what has always been an inevitable fall as it is obvious the feds are finally catching up to him and "this thing of ours" is falling crumbling.

Edited by Ilov80s

i was pissed the ducks didnt fly back when tony was raking the backyard. that would have been a better ending

i was pissed the ducks didnt fly back when tony was raking the backyard. that would have been a better ending

The ducks did come back- his family. The ducks always represented Tony's fear of losing his family and induced the panic attacks and depression. We now see that his family is together on good terms.

:P What a bunch of wimps. The outrage!!!It was fine. Better than I thought it would be.

i slow mo'ed the tivo. was that david "bust out" scatino in the corner? looked just like him?

I thought it was almost too kooky to suggest that he'd reappear and kill Tony (which he didn't as far as we know) but given the gambling angle with Tony and basically that the guy got his life destroyed it seemed to be the perfect bow to tie on it. If you figure Chase was trying to capture the "it could come from anywhere" vibe, it seemed an apt piece. I thought it was laughable to think that he'd be offed by a vengeful minor character from an early season so I didn't bring it up. The fact that it's one of the two characters in the seen shown as having no family made further sense to me. Hmm, looking up this episode there's a couple other interesting things:The song playing at the end of the episode ("Bust Out" ep 23) is "Wheel in the Sky" by Journey. Also at the meeting they offered bottled water, one of the things they ordered on credit from Davey's store to sell on the street. It also was an episode where Tony's legal situation was quite dire (The Bevilacqua killing)I'm sure all these kind of easter eggs will be analyzed and over-analyzed over time.-QG