Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Raider Nation

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread

I never got the impression that Feech knew. It would have seemed like a pretty underhanded way for Tony to handle things.

I'm 99.9% sure the answer to this question is "YES"... but just to make sure:When Feech was on the bus ride back to prison, he knew that Tony had just set him up, right?

I think he knew. But the character was pretty clueless about a lot of things....so I don't think it's a stretch to say he didn't think that Tony set him up.

I still think it was rather obvious. Chris and Benny stash some stuff from an illegal hijacking in his garage, and then his garage specifically gets searched out of the blue days later? Come on.

I'm 99.9% sure the answer to this question is "YES"... but just to make sure:

When Feech was on the bus ride back to prison, he knew that Tony had just set him up, right?

On A&E right now.

hurry... hurry... :popcorn:

I still think it was rather obvious. Chris and Benny stash some stuff from an illegal hijacking in his garage, and then his garage specifically gets searched out of the blue days later? Come on.

ThisYou can tell he kind of figured it out when he realized this new parole officer wanted in that garage.

When Feech was on the bus ride back to prison, he knew that Tony had just set him up, right?

On A&E right now.

Great episode....didn't AJ get his eyebrow's shaved as well?? sweet Vulcan :lmao:

I was watching "What would you do?", a hidden camera show on ABC on fridays. Last Friday they set up thier cameras in the restaurant where they filmed the final scene of the series. Can't remember the name but I think it was in Bloomfield NJ. Pretty cool and really looked exactly the same as the final scene.

Because doing underhanded things was beneath Tony? :lol:

Of course not, but it'd be a pretty obvious slap in the face to a made guy. I don't think he would be that blatantly disrespectful.

Of course not, but it'd be a pretty obvious slap in the face to a made guy. I don't think he would be that blatantly disrespectful.
Well, the other option was to whack him. IIRC, Silvio told Tony he made the right decision, referring to him setting Feech up rather than killing him. So Tony "handled" Feech in the most "respectful" manner.And the only reason this story line played out the way it did is because the actor who played Feech failed to memorize his lines, or he would of been a bigger part of the series.

On A&E right now.

Great episode....didn't AJ get his eyebrow's shaved as well?? sweet Vulcan :lmao:
"Poppers and weird sex!"

Well, the other option was to whack him. IIRC, Silvio told Tony he made the right decision, referring to him setting Feech up rather than killing him. So Tony "handled" Feech in the most "respectful" manner.
Exactly.

Fat, useless, untalented, horrifically awful thespian Steve ShirtRippa (Baccala) is on Conan tonight.

I was watching "What would you do?", a hidden camera show on ABC on fridays. Last Friday they set up thier cameras in the restaurant where they filmed the final scene of the series. Can't remember the name but I think it was in Bloomfield NJ. Pretty cool and really looked exactly the same as the final scene.

Holstens. i grew up about 5 mins from this place.

Carmine to Lauren Bacall: "Enjoy your success."

:lol: That's almost as gold as Christopher's, "Law and Order: the SUV." :lmao:

Carmine to Lauren Bacall: "Enjoy your success."

:lol: That's almost as gold as Christopher's, "Law and Order: the SUV." :lmao:
LOL. Chris is KING of the malaprop."Gotta keep your eye on the tiger.""He's the hair apparent."

"He's the hair apparent."

That's my favorite one, by far (and he says it several times). Another great one:"Create a little dysentery in the ranks."

The Pine Barrens is on A&E right now. What the heck happens to the Russian named Valery?(The one they were supposed to get the money from and the one Paulie and Crissy were supposed to bury in the Barrens)

The Pine Barrens is on A&E right now.

:goodposting: Good commercial viewing during the game.

What the heck happens to the Russian named Valery?(The one they were supposed to get the money from and the one Paulie and Crissy were supposed to bury in the Barrens)

He bought a deli in Nutley and dealt cocaine out of there.

What the heck happens to the Russian named Valery?(The one they were supposed to get the money from and the one Paulie and Crissy were supposed to bury in the Barrens)

Excellent thanks :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm sorry. You expected a serious answer?Nobody has any clue and David Chase has only been asked about it 70 million times.

Actually didn't know that was up there with the ending for stuff people didn't know or ask Chase about. I did expect a serious answer but since I have now found out that it is one of "THOSE" questions I now know that I should have expected ridicule for asking. I stand mocked.

Actually didn't know that was up there with the ending for stuff people didn't know or ask Chase about. I did expect a serious answer but since I have now found out that it is one of "THOSE" questions I now know that I should have expected ridicule for asking. I stand mocked.

Apologies. I can never tell when someone is kidding about that.If you went through this thread, you'd see at least 100 jokes pertaining to where the Russian is.

Oh, I'm sorry. You expected a serious answer?Nobody has any clue and David Chase has only been asked about it 70 million times.
The russian died out in the woods and was never found. This is pretty obvious to anyone who watched the whole series.

The russian died out in the woods and was never found. This is pretty obvious to anyone who watched the whole series.

Speak for yourself.

I watched the entire series. (A thousand times). I have friends who watched the entire series. We'd all like to know what happened to the Russian. If it was so obvious, it would not be the #1 question Chase got asked about up until the "Is Tony dead or alive?" question.

Speak for yourself.

I watched the entire series. (A thousand times). I have friends who watched the entire series. We'd all like to know what happened to the Russian. If it was so obvious, it would not be the #1 question Chase got asked about up until the "Is Tony dead or alive?" question.

Agreed. It looks pretty clear that Paulie gets him in the side of the head as he's running away, but he keeps running. Both the blood trail and footprints in the snow simply stop at one point, but there's no body. When Tony and Baccala get to where Paulie's car was parked, it's gone, but Valeri never turns up.

I think it's pretty clear that it was written intentionally to leave you wondering interminably. It's not even humanly possible as written unless Valeri had a jet pack on that they didn't notice and was able to fly away.

Apologies. I can never tell when someone is kidding about that.If you went through this thread, you'd see at least 100 jokes pertaining to where the Russian is.
I watched it on DVD over about a month or so and in doing so I stayed away from this thread before and then after I wasn't about to wade through that many pages after I had read it. I also understand the whole having a problem telling the genuine from the shtick on this board. I will say that if you were getting a lappy from a stripper and your GF's Mob Boss father saw you and asked to talk to you how would you not drop a deuce in your shorts? Why would you get a lappy in the club that your GF's Mob Boss Father has a piece of and hangs out at?

Speak for yourself.

Agreed. It looks pretty clear that Paulie gets him in the side of the head as he's running away, but he keeps running. Both the blood trail and footprints in the snow simply stop at one point, but there's no body. When Tony and Baccala get to where Paulie's car was parked, it's gone, but Valeri never turns up.

I think it's pretty clear that it was written intentionally to leave you wondering interminably. It's not even humanly possible as written unless Valeri had a jet pack on that they didn't notice and was able to fly away.

You are forgetting the angle where he could have swung away like Tarzan.

Speak for yourself.

The russian died in the woods and was never found, or if he was found, he was never identified by authorities.

Later on in the series (I think it was season 5 or 6), there is an episode where Tony (or someone else) mentions (Tony) going to see the russian's BFF with another $$$ exchange. I can't remember the episode, though.

If the russian had survived, Tony and the russian BFF's business relationship would have been irreparably been harmed to say the least. Not to mention, Paulie and Christopher would of gotten whacked.

The real question is, was Paulie dumb enough to have left his keys in his car, making it easy for whoever stole it to steal it? Seems crazy that someone as anal as Paulie would do that, especially since all of that money was in it.

Edited by Ghost Rider

David Chase answered one of life's most enduring questions Tuesday night. One that has baffled the greatest minds of the last decade. No, not what came first, the chicken or the egg? Or if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? The real question everyone has been asking, of course, is the one that has eluded the most elite television scholars since May 6, 2001: What happened to the Russian in the woods?Chase, the creator and voice of "The Sopranos," spoke to a crowd of a few hundred gathered at the Writers' Guild to discuss all things "Sopranos." The event was an homage to Chase, this year's recipient of the Paddy Chayefsky Laurel Award for Television."Should we let the cat out of the bag?" Chase asked the audience when moderator and "Simpsons" creator Matt Groenig asked about the fate of the Russian left for dead in the "Pine Barrens" episode. "OK, this is what happened. Some Boy Scouts found the Russian, who had the telephone number to his boss, Slava, in his pocket. They called Slava, who took him to the hospital where he had brain surgery. And then Slava sent him back to the Soviet Union."

Speak for yourself.

That's what is so good and is so bad with The Sopranos. I forget the specifics of the quote, but someone in the entertainment business said if you have a woodchipper on stage, you better have an explanation for it and use it; because by it being there, the audience expects it to be used. That's what The Sopranos did; constantly giving showing us a wood chipper. If a Russian is important enough to be shown to be shot, or a rapist important enough to be found or a terrorist threat against a port is important enough to be mentioned or a mobster underling is deemed important enough to fall in love with the Boss's wife, us modern viewers expect some sort of resolution. Chase obviously breaks away from that....and while it's pretty cool...it goes against all of our understanding about modern entertainment viewing; to the point where we don't enjoy it as much.

Speak for yourself.

That's what is so good and is so bad with The Sopranos. I forget the specifics of the quote, but someone in the entertainment business said if you have a woodchipper on stage, you better have an explanation for it and use it; because by it being there, the audience expects it to be used. That's what The Sopranos did; constantly giving showing us a wood chipper. If a Russian is important enough to be shown to be shot, or a rapist important enough to be found or a terrorist threat against a port is important enough to be mentioned or a mobster underling is deemed important enough to fall in love with the Boss's wife, us modern viewers expect some sort of resolution. Chase obviously breaks away from that....and while it's pretty cool...it goes against all of our understanding about modern entertainment viewing; to the point where we don't enjoy it as much.
Totally agree with the bolded. He has said many times that not everything in real life is tied up into a neat little bow and resolved, and his show is no different. My only point is that Dexter Manley cannot prove the Russian was killed, just as I cannot prove he wasn't.

MAYONAISSE!

:D

You heard the story about what really made Gandolfini laugh so hard when Baccala walked in with the Elmer Fudd outfit on, right?

MAYONAISSE!

You heard the story about what really made Gandolfini laugh so hard when Baccala walked in with the Elmer Fudd outfit on, right?

No, please share.

MAYONAISSE!

No, please share.
Steve Schirripa (Baccala) came walking into the kitchen with a HUGE dildo sticking out of his zipper, and J.G. lost it.

Pine Barrens, behind the scenes... and some other stuff. From one of my Sopranos books.

David Chase has said that the goal of each episode of The Sopranos is to function as a mini-movie. Few individual episodes provide a more memorable example of that ethos than Season Three's "Pine Barrens."

The action was simple enough: Tony tells Paulie and Christopher to pick up some money from a Russian mobster for Silvio, who's sick with a virus. Already grumbling, Paulie and Christopher show up and Paulie picks a fight that ends with the Russian apparently dead. The two decide to bury the body in the Pine Barrens, an enormous tract of woodland in southern New Jersey. When they arrive, the putatively dead Russian hits Christopher with a shovel and takes off, leading the guys on a chase that leaves them lost in the freezing woods.With increasing joy, we proceed to watch them fall apart.

Part Deliverance, part Abbott and Costello Meet the Russian, part Blair Witch Project, and all Sopranos, the resulting episode is also a case study in how good television is often a product of both good planning and happy accidents.

DAVID CHASE: As I remember it, Tim Van Patten had some sort of dream about Paulie and Christopher lost in the forest. You know, two guys from Nutley with their city shoes on, walking around the woods.

TIM VAN PATTEN, DIRECTOR: My father was a horse player and he used to take me and my brother to Atlantic City. On the way down, he'd always try to make an adventure out of it, so we'd stop off at the Pine Barrens. He'd tell us these crazy stories about the Jersey Devil — half-man and half-beast — living in there. It was a spooky place with a kind of magic in it. So, I was lying in bed and I sort of half-dreamed this idea.

TERENCE WINTER, EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Tim mentioned the idea to me, and I said, "If you don't go into David's office and tell him this, I am going to steal it and go in myself."

Van Patten had his dream during Season Two, but it wasn't until the end of Season Three that the idea fit into the show's plot. Steve Buscemi drew the directing duties, the first of four episodes he'd direct.

STEVE BUSCEMI, DIRECTOR: Originally the idea was that this was going to be an easy episode: The guys go into the woods and it's short and simple. But it turned out to be the first episode that took twelve days to shoot.

CHASE: We had a woods location at the South Mountain Reservation. And at the last minute the Essex County commissioner (who later went to prison for corruption) decided that, because we were a "disgrace to Italians," we would no longer be able to use county streets.

BUSCEMI: We were all ready to shoot and then we lost the location. It was looking pretty grim. We had looked at Harriman State Park across the border in New York before, but they only showed us one spot, which wasn't going to work. Finally, they said this other area in the park was available. It was like our last hope.

PHIL ABRAHAM, DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY: When we scouted the location it was as dry and brown and barren as it could be. We talked about what would happen if it snowed. And then just before shooting: four feet of snow. My God, you could never duplicate it. I remember the first shot we did was of the guys just trudging through the snow. It wasn't snowing, but the wind was blowing the snow off of the trees and there were crystals in the air.... I mean it was like, Wow.

WINTER: The snow made it so much more plausible for them to get lost. It was the same everywhere you looked. And Michael and Tony...whenever you get the two of them together in a pressurized situation, it's going to be gold.

CHASE: Except for visually, the snow was a disaster! Why couldn't they follow their tracks back to safety? I was going to shoot myself!

MICHAEL IMPERIOLI, (CHRISTOPHER): It was a gift. It just made everything so much more alien and foreign for these guys.

TONY SIRICO, (PAULIE WALNUTS): It was cold, boy. They did their best to keep us warm but I was still in the snow and my foot was wet. The PAs were always rubbing my feet and picking me up when I fell in the snow. It wasn't the guys either, it was the girl PAs, who picked me up. Oh, I loved it man.

Of course, there were other subplots in the episode.

BUSCEMI: Most people remember the episode for the guys being lost, but there was also Meadow catching Jackie Jr. coming out of an apartment with a different girl. And there was Tony and his new girlfriend, Gloria Trillo, who you're starting to figure out is a little crazy. He winds up having to leave her to go get the guys and she throws a steak at him.That was actually me who threw it. Annabella Sciorra couldn't get it right.The prop guy was trying it, finally I was like, "Let me try." Jimmy [Gandolfini] claims I was dying to do it.

And then there was Bobby Bacala, enlisted to help rescue Christopher and Paulie, who reports for duty in full Elmer Fudd?like hunting regalia.

STEVE SCHIRRIPA, (BOBBY): We shot that scene at about seven in the morning and Jim had already seen my outfit. So I was thinking, How in the world am I going to make Jim laugh here? Nothing is funny at 7 A.M. So I went to the prop guy, Anthony, and I got him to give me an assortment of dildos and a dreadlock wig. When they were doing Jim's reaction shot — I was off-camera — I came out with this wig on my head and a two-and-a-half-foot dildo swinging out of my pants. Jim almost fell over. If you look, you can see Dominic [Chianese] almost smile, but he doesn't break character. Of course, I never asked why props had all these ##### lying around.

Perhaps the biggest legacy of "Pine Barrens" is what you don't see, i.e., what becomes of the Russian. It has become one of the most tantalizing mysteries in The Sopranos history.

WINTER: That's the question I get asked more than any other. It drives people crazy: "Where's the Russian? What happened to the Russian?" We could say, "Well, he got out and there's a big mob war with the Russians," or "He crawled off and died." But we wanted to keep it ambiguous. You know, not everything gets answered in life.

CHASE: They shot a guy.Who knows where he went? Who cares about some Russian? This is what Hollywood has done to America. Do you have to have closure on every little thing? Isn't there any mystery in the world? It's a murky world out there. It's a murky life these guys lead. And by the way, I do know where the Russian is. But I'll never say because so many people got so pissy about it.

WHAT WE'LL NEVER KNOW

The case of the missing Russian is hardly the only plot point to tease, frustrate, and/or confuse fans over the years. In part, this is by design, an aspect of David Chase's philosophy of storytelling. "In life, you don't get an ending to every story," he says. "You can't tie a little ribbon on everything and say it's over. And yeah, I know... 'The Sopranos isn't life.' But it's based on it!"

In fact, most such stories don't so much disappear as go underground for a while, or they fail to be as portentous as they might at first seem. A classic example included Ray Curto, who we learned was a government informer at the beginning of Season Three. What seemed at the time to be a potentially explosive revelation turned out to be nothing of the sort; for the next two seasons we occasionally caught glimpses of Curto on the periphery of Tony's world. Then, at exactly the moment he might have started being of use to the FBI, the character had a heart attack and died. End of story. "We just wanted to give an indication of what life is like for somebody like Tony Soprano. He's constantly talking to people who are rats but he doesn't know it," Chase says. "Only people at home waiting for the Russian know it. The reality is that lots of these guys play both sides of the fence and are informing. There are probably several other guys wearing a wire in Tony's family." Chase declines to name names.

Other stories, meanwhile, are really over. Chase says he is surprised to find that, after "Where's the Russian?" the subplot he hears most about is Dr. Melfi's rape. Many viewers are awaiting further development, although the episode, "Employee of the Month," would seem to be neatly self-contained: Melfi is assaulted in her office parking garage. The rapist is caught, but set free on a technicality. Melfi finds herself tempted to seek revenge using Tony, but ultimately decides not to cross that line.

"If you're raised on a steady diet of Hollywood movies and network television, you start to think, Obviously there's going to be some moral accounting here," Chase says. "That's not the way the world works. It all comes down to why you're watching. If all you want is to see big Tony Soprano take that guy's head and bang it against the wall like a cantaloupe... The point is — Melfi, despite pain and suffering, made her moral, ethical choice and we should applaud her for it. That's the story."

CHASE: They shot a guy.Who knows where he went? Who cares about some Russian? This is what Hollywood has done to America. Do you have to have closure on every little thing? Isn't there any mystery in the world? It's a murky world out there. It's a murky life these guys lead. And by the way, I do know where the Russian is. But I'll never say because so many people got so pissy about it.

Exactly

RN, I have that book, too. Good stuff. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I cracked up about Edie Falco talking about how she always ate real light during every take when they were filming a dinner scene, while Gandolfini would just plow through his food during every take. :lol:

RN, I have that book, too. Good stuff. :thumbup: :thumbup: I cracked up about Edie Falco talking about how she always ate real light during every take when they were filming a dinner scene, while Gandolfini would just plow through his food during every take. :lol:

Yeah, that was funny. No wonder he put on 90 lbs. between seasons 1 & 6.

Interesting theory here on Patsy possibly ordering Tony's killing.

Patsy certainly had the motive. Tony ordered the murder of his twin brother Philly Parisi in Season 2. In the Season 3 opener a bereaved Patsy is out for revenge. At one point in the episode, he is in Tony’s backyard and points his gun at an unsuspecting Tony in his kitchen. Patsy starts to cry and puts the gun down and pisses in Tony’s pool. Tony never learns of the aborted attempt on his life. Tony eventually convinces (or threatens) Patsy to get over his brother’s death by explaining that Patsy has a family of his own to take care of.As the final season closes, Meadow starts seriously dating Patsy’s oldest son-Patrick Parisi Jr. They eventually get engaged to the delight of Patsy. Meanwhile, Patsy’s younger son-Jason Parisi, is a college student involved in illegal activies. His partner in crime is Carlo’s college aged son-Jason Gervasi. They’re known as “The two Jasons” and briefly influence A.J. to torture another college student who owes them money.In the final episode, Jason Gervasi is arrested for selling Ecstasy. We subsequently learn that his father Carlo has flipped to the Feds in order to save his son.Before we learn of Jason Gervasi’s arrest there is a strange moment at Bacala’s funeral where we see Patsy Parisi call his son Jason away from the table where Jason Gervasi is present. Chase cuts to Jason Gervasi watching him leave the table and Patsy has a distressed look on his face when his son approaches him. This may imply Patsy’s concerns about his son hanging out with Gervasi due to his increasing illegal activities, especially considering that Patsy’s family will be so close to Tony’s once Patrick Jr. marries Meadow.Later on, Tony and Carmela have Patsy and his wife over the house for dinner with Patrick Jr. and Meadow to celebrate their engagement. The scene is awkward. At one point Carmela asks Patsy’s wife why Jason Parisi didn’t come to the dinner. Patsy’s wife nervously states that she didn’t think he was invited. Tony then confirms her belief by pointing out Jason Gervasi’s arrest (Tony already knows at this point that Carlo has flipped to save his son). Tony then refers to the two Jasons as “pals.” Patsy’s wife nervously continues on about Gervasi but Patsy bluntly cuts her off.Since Jason Gervasi was arrested and his father subsequently flipped to save him, it’s reasonable to think that Jason Parisi will be next to be arrested as he was usually in on the same crimes with Jason Gervasi (it’s interesting to note that Paulie tells Tony that Patsy told him about Jason Gervasi’s arrest, which further suggests how much the “2 Jasons” are intertwined). This could lead Patsy to flip himself which Tony would obviously be concered about. Consequently, Patsy would be aware that he may be a dead man in Tony’s eyes. So, he takes action first. Meadow is late to Holsten’s because she was out with Patrick Sr. in the city. It’s conceivable that Patsy knew where Tony would be (through his oldest son’s relationship with Meadow) and ordered the hit. Interestingly enough, Patsy’s wife checks to find out the quality of the Sorpano’s china at dinner. This may be a tip-off that Patsy, for financial reasons, may desire the throne. In one of the final scenes, Paulie accepts the promotion to run the prosperous Aprile crew but not before we learn that Tony would’ve given the position to Patsy if Paulie had turned it down. Patsy may not have been happy that he was passed over again (in Season 4 he is upset that Chris is promoted, instead of him, to run Paulie’s crew while Paulie was in lock-up). Perhaps Patsy had Tony killed with the help of Butchie and NY with the promise that Patsy will take over the remnants of the Jersey family.

Fat, useless, untalented, horrifically awful thespian Steve ShirtRippa (Baccala) is on Conan tonight.

After turning down leading roles which would have led to several Academy Awards, Schirripa now portrays a lemon.

Kind of a needle-in-a-haystack question, but it's been driving me crazy.

One of the shows I listen to on FOX Sports Radio has a quick Sopranos clip when they come back from a break. It's Paulie saying "You got a lotta balls, my friend!" I can't pin down the exact scene or who he said it to. He says stuff like that in every episode. Anyone remember who he was talking to?

Maybe the Russian?

Maybe the Jew with the motel he and Silvio beat on?

:confused:

Kind of a needle-in-a-haystack question, but it's been driving me crazy.

One of the shows I listen to on FOX Sports Radio has a quick Sopranos clip when they come back from a break. It's Paulie saying "You got a lotta balls, my friend!" I can't pin down the exact scene or who he said it to. He says stuff like that in every episode. Anyone remember who he was talking to?

Maybe the Russian?

Maybe the Jew with the motel he and Silvio beat on?

:confused:

Hotel Jew is what I first thought of.