What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (3 Viewers)

With a very heavy heart, I pulled out of Brooklyn this morning and headed to the Jersey shore and my family's beach house.  It was hard to drive away from the place I have called home for almost two decades and that I love.  Unfortunately, the thing I love most about living in Brooklyn is the people and the community is the thing I am most worried about as even driving out there were still in my mind too many people on the street (though a lot less then normal rush hour).  

I look forward to returning to my dream home (my brownstone in Brooklyn) and I hope I return to a stronger place.  I feel a bit like I have abandoned the city I love but feel a bit safer in a town that in the winter only has about a quarter of the houses occupied though think its a bit higher then normal right now.  

Good luck to my fellow NYers and I will be back.  Also, please keep posting updates on the city as I want to know what is happening at my home.  😢

With a very heavy heart, I pulled out of Brooklyn this morning and headed to the Jersey shore and my family's beach house.  It was hard to drive away from the place I have called home for almost two decades and that I love.  Unfortunately, the thing I love most about living in Brooklyn is the people and the community is the thing I am most worried about as even driving out there were still in my mind too many people on the street (though a lot less then normal rush hour).  

I look forward to returning to my dream home (my brownstone in Brooklyn) and I hope I return to a stronger place.  I feel a bit like I have abandoned the city I love but feel a bit safer in a town that in the winter only has about a quarter of the houses occupied though think its a bit higher then normal right now.  

Good luck to my fellow NYers and I will be back.  Also, please keep posting updates on the city as I want to know what is happening at my home.  😢
Good luck, man. Do what you have to and don't let anyone make you feel like you shouldn't have.

total NYC confirmed coronavirus cases: (deaths) 

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 - 11
  • 3/8 - 12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 - 36
  • 3/11 - 52
  • 3/12 - 95
  • 3/13 - 154
  • 3/14 - 269 - (1)
  • 3/15 - 329 - (5) 
  • 3/16 - 463 - (7)
  • 3/17 - 814 - (7)
  • 3/18 - 1339 - (10)

way too fast!
This has to also be a function of more testing.  We know there is a lot more cases out there.  

Good luck, man. Do what you have to and don't let anyone make you feel like you shouldn't have.
Yeah, ya big sissy.

Good luck down there- keep us informed of how things are there...people being safe, shopping availability, etc.

I'm pretty convinced I'll be out of work at some point soon. ####ty industry for these kind of disasters- luxury residential architecture. And I'm a senior recent hire...likely one of the first to go. Not sure what's next...

Shut it down!

My wife and I decided to get out of the house and walk around the nearby park that's about 3 blocks away. Our immediate neighborhood is pretty deserted. We're about 10 minutes from the Midtown Tunnel. The park was busier than I think I've ever seen it on a chilly Wednesday night. Kids playing baseball, basketball, soccer, handball.  People everywhere in all sizes of groups. Just wait until Friday when it is in the 70's

We're doomed.

Shut it down!

My wife and I decided to get out of the house and walk around the nearby park that's about 3 blocks away. Our immediate neighborhood is pretty deserted. We're about 10 minutes from the Midtown Tunnel. The park was busier than I think I've ever seen it on a chilly Wednesday night. Kids playing baseball, basketball, soccer, handball.  People everywhere in all sizes of groups. Just wait until Friday when it is in the 70's

We're doomed.
Has driving to Boise crossed your mind yet?

Shut it down!

We're doomed.
That is why we got out. Just too many people cramped in small apartments. I like the Boise drive idea. Put a few days clothes and all the food you can carry in the car and go. 

Has driving to Boise crossed your mind yet?
Yes. Might be a consideration for April though, not this month. My wife's company is on very thin ice and she probably needs to be here in case they need to wind it down. We also don't want to be sick on the road, so after tomorrow we'll be totally out of contact with anyone for 10 days so we know we're safe. We'll use up whatever perishable food we have and just drive straight across. She hasn't driven in probably 15 years but I'm sure she can handle straight highway driving. No stopping at hotels, bring our own food. We already have an April flight booked, so that's another option but not one we expect to be available.

I'll meet you at 10 Barrel! 

Shut it down!

We're doomed.
Ugh. Makes me sad and pissed 

We live across from a school yard that had people through the day (including us), but spaced out and not crowded at all.

During the day I had to go near Lincoln center to pick stuff up at my son's school, then went to work for a couple hours 58th and Lex, and home LES Evil. Was on the citibike all day...Didn't see many people outside of a stop at home Depot. Roads and sidewalks were pretty quiet... those parts of Manhattan doing ok today

Heard an unconfirmed rumor of an outbreak of 100+ in Borough Park, all members of the same shul. The Mayor said on NY1 tonight the number of confirmed cases in NYC have quadrupled since Monday.

Heard an unconfirmed rumor of an outbreak of 100+ in Borough Park, all members of the same shul. The Mayor said on NY1 tonight the number of confirmed cases in NYC have quadrupled since Monday.
saw that, too ... it was up on the redditz page - apparently a huge wedding took place on Tuesday, as well. 

these are gonna be very trying and difficult days for all who make up the fabric of this City, and it's greater metroplitan area - things are gonna change so quickly, and it's looking more and more likely that government mandate is, sadly, gonna have to be the answer. 

dunno. 

Redwes25 said:
This has to also be a function of more testing.  We know there is a lot more cases out there.  
Correct.  If we tested everyone tomorrow it would be like 50k-100k infected.  Those numbers really just reflect how much testing we are doing. 

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 - 11
  • 3/8 - 12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 - 36
  • 3/11 - 52
  • 3/12 - 95
  • 3/13 - 154
  • 3/14 - 269 - (1)
  • 3/15 - 329 - (5) 
  • 3/16 - 463 - (7)
  • 3/17 - 814 - (7)
  • 3/18 - 1339 - (10)
  • 3/19 - 2469 - (19)

Had to drive into the city today. Busier than expected but people seemed to be keeping their distance from each other.

One of my wife’s friends moms had it (in NYC) and thankfully looks to have recovered.  Needless to say I’m glad the skedattlee when I saw her and hew kids two weekends ago in the park without getting within 40 feet of me.

I hope everyone is hanging in there.  Out of all cities, I can't think of a place more challenging in this time than NYC.  Have any of you taken the subway lately?  Assume its deserted down there.  

I hope everyone is hanging in there.  Out of all cities, I can't think of a place more challenging in this time than NYC.  Have any of you taken the subway lately?  Assume its deserted down there.  
We stopped taking the subway two weeks ago. Switched to bus only- not great, but way less hands and faces. 

I'm strictly citibike at this point, and the family is only walking in the hood.

Good luck. I commuted through Penn and either down 34th to 5th or up 8th to 39th for 6 years.

Sad to think about the fear that must be almost palpable.

Had to drive into the city today. Busier than expected but people seemed to be keeping their distance from each other.
I've held out since last Friday but have to go in Monday.  I'm going to drive and park on the street, ticket be damned.  I should only encounter my office door man.  

We stopped taking the subway two weeks ago. Switched to bus only- not great, but way less hands and faces. 

I'm strictly citibike at this point, and the family is only walking in the hood.
Smart.  I read something about the MTA asking for a bailout because of decreased traffic and had me curious.  

Must be an eerie feel walking around. One of my best NYC memories was the 2003 blackout when it forced everyone to get out and socialize.  This must be the complete opposite.  

The only positive I can find in all of the data in NYC is 3,615 cases to just 22 deaths, that's much better (so far) than many other places. 

ETA: And I really really hope it stays that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 - 11
  • 3/8 - 12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 - 36
  • 3/11 - 52
  • 3/12 - 95
  • 3/13 - 154
  • 3/14 - 269 - (1)
  • 3/15 - 329 - (5) 
  • 3/16 - 463 - (7)
  • 3/17 - 814 - (7)
  • 3/18 - 1339 - (10)
  • 3/19 - 2469 - (19) (22)
Fyp :(

One of the pastors has Covid-19.

Had to take a subway into the city today. Had the bench to myself inward bound, car was half full coming back to Brooklyn.

One of the Pastors at my church has Covid-19. He’s under 40 and in excellent health. Isolated from his wife and two young daughters. We broadcast church online from a small studio Sunday. Probably 50 staff and lay leaders crammed into a small room along with the creative & TV volunteers.

Thankful it wasn’t a week ago as our weekly attendance is around 11K.

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 - 11
  • 3/8 - 12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 - 36
  • 3/11 - 52
  • 3/12 - 95
  • 3/13 - 154
  • 3/14 - 269 - (1)
  • 3/15 - 329 - (5) 
  • 3/16 - 463 - (7)
  • 3/17 - 814 - (7)
  • 3/18 - 1339 - (10)
  • 3/19 - 2469 - (19)
  • 3/20 - 5151 - (43)
yesterdays totals

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 - 11
  • 3/8 - 12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 - 36
  • 3/11 - 52
  • 3/12 - 95
  • 3/13 - 154
  • 3/14 - 269 - (1)
  • 3/15 - 329 - (5) 
  • 3/16 - 463 - (7)
  • 3/17 - 814 - (7)
  • 3/18 - 1339 - (10)
  • 3/19 - 2469 - (19)
  • 3/20 - 5151 - (43)
yesterdays totals
Idaho 3/20 - 36 (0).   And we are pretty much all shut down.

Went out for a walk with the whole family...over to the East River and down a stretch (to ferry/amphitheater).

It was BUSY out there. Tennis courts were packed. Tons of people out running, biking, walking. As busy as I can ever remember it.

But for the most part, maintaining social distancing (outside of a handful of dumdum soccer and basketball players getting games in). Also saw athletes maintaining proper distance.

Will take floppinho out for a jog later.

Meeting my gb for our weekly 10k jog tomorrow...but we'll give ourselves distance.

Glad I got to NYC just before the craziness really took hold.  Was careful and cautious, but it was pre-social distancing (10 or so days ago).  Luckily I locked up two clients that hopefully can survive so I can survive, as no new business is likely until things open up again. 

Best wishes to those in the City and the burbs.

But for the most part, maintaining social distancing (outside of a handful of dumdum soccer and basketball players getting games in). Also saw athletes maintaining proper distance.
Notify NYC just texted "no team sports permitted within NYC Parks. Maintain 6' between yourself and others".

Normally, stupid people doing stupid things isn't so bothersome...but this is just so ####### idiotic that at this point people need to be told this.

Notify NYC just texted "no team sports permitted within NYC Parks. Maintain 6' between yourself and others".

Normally, stupid people doing stupid things isn't so bothersome...but this is just so ####### idiotic that at this point people need to be told this.
How do you social distance in a crowded bodega or tiny supermarket?  Seems near impossible to shop for essentials unless you're getting everything delivered.  

How do you social distance in a crowded bodega or tiny supermarket?  Seems near impossible to shop for essentials unless you're getting everything delivered.  
i was just in a bodega for some last minute weekend #### (bread, milk, eggs, smokes) ... counter girl was decked in mask and gloves, and i stayed as "72 inch-ish" distance as possible. 

beauty transaction.  

i was just in a bodega for some last minute weekend #### (bread, milk, eggs, smokes) ... counter girl was decked in mask and gloves, and i stayed as "72 inch-ish" distance as possible. 

beauty transaction.  
Serpentine.

Finally decided to bug out to my sisters place in NC tomorrow (hope we aren’t carrying anything).  I got totally freaked out shopping at Fairway at 6:45 in the morning on Friday and haven’t been outside since.  Our only son was going crazy without some friends and they at least have a daughter his age.  I’m just hoping I get a good nights sleep at some point.  This entire thing is just emotionally draining and it’s about inning 2-3.  

The only thing that was keeping me here was Cuomo has his #### together.

Fwiw, The NY Presbyterian email update had peak hospital visits in 22-32 days, so I’m guessing we’ll be gone for 4-6 weeks.  

Seeing more and more friends leave the city.  Stay safe everyone.  

really hoping the hospitals in nyc and surrounding suburbs get an influx of supplies and stand up more beds etc to handle this.  

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 - 11
  • 3/8 - 12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 - 36
  • 3/11 - 52
  • 3/12 - 95
  • 3/13 - 154
  • 3/14 - 269 - (1)
  • 3/15 - 329 - (5) 
  • 3/16 - 463 - (7)
  • 3/17 - 814 - (7)
  • 3/18 - 1339 - (10)
  • 3/19 - 2469 - (19)
  • 3/20 - 5151 - (43)
  • 3/21 - 8115 - (60)
  • 3/22 - 10,764 - (99)
  • 3/23 - 13,119 - (125)
  • 3/24 - 15,500 - (192)
  • 3/25 - 20,011 - (280)
  • 3/26 - 23,000 - (385)

So I am still camped in NJ.  We have a security system with camera that records movement at hour house in Brooklyn.  It doesn't pick up cars driving by house but does pick ambulances with sirens/lights going.  My house is very near Methodist hospital and on the specified routes for ambulances.  The amount of ambulances being picked up and recorded is terrifying.  

So I am still camped in NJ.  We have a security system with camera that records movement at hour house in Brooklyn.  It doesn't pick up cars driving by house but does pick ambulances with sirens/lights going.  My house is very near Methodist hospital and on the specified routes for ambulances.  The amount of ambulances being picked up and recorded is terrifying.  
Red- we're now considering getting a house in Ocean Grove NJ for a bit.. we know the area well, and have gotten stop n shop groceries delivered during previous stays. more dense/tightly packed than our other option in OC, MD (and not free either), but closer to home too (in case my office and/or job sites open- not likely, but still).

How has it been there? Where are you? Shopping ok? Deliveries.. etc?

we're on Houston and A- nexus of EVil and LES. we typically get a ton of sirens going through the intersection all day all night- police, fire, ambulances (hospitals are up 1st ave, and Houston is a main FDR exit for downtown... plus close to the Willsburgh bridge). fwiw- I'm hearing and now seeing far less sirens. I think more people are getting themselves to the hospitals for this than getting picked up. also think with nobody out and about, a lot less accidents and ambulance pickups.

we also typically get lots of honking at the intersection.

even more- 7 days a week, we get drunk kids out at all hours- especially when the bars/clubs close at 2 or 4am. 

the last two weeks... silence. it's incredible. 

there's a school and yard across the street that's still open. when we see nobody there, we'll run over for a bit and hit tennis balls, play catch or shoot hoops. after the first few days of that- I started to panic that I was getting lung issues- with some pain and tightness. but of course, it's my out of shape ### getting sore from hitting a tennis ball.

also saw our immediate upstairs neighbor and little kids over there playing with another family- not abiding 6' and even doing a lot of touching between them. #### them if they contaminate our building or get that park closed down.

otherwise, we are hunkered down. getting deliveries of groceries (the wife had stocked up before #### went south... smart, smart woman), doing school work and work... all in our tiny 2br apt. thankfully we have a private patio- size of a bedroom- out back. not a ton of son (if any) as its in the courtyard... but nice to get outside and chill. we'll need it more and more as the weather gets better. been easier hanging inside with rain and 30s/40s.

Man that Flop is verbose  :P

Another gorgeous day we can’t really enjoy. Walking around the block just now heard multiple sirens for 5 straight minutes. Few people out & about going to the bodega or grocery store, almost always in masks and/or gloves (there’s a lot of elderly Italians around this part of Williamsburg.)

Big fan of Ocean Grove. You should go for it @El Floppo

I’m sitting on my balcony (in Hoboken) while my daughter is taking a nap and there’s not a damn cloud in the sky and the sun is brilliant. Still hard to believe this is happening. 

I can see about 50 other balconies and I can count 15 people sitting out just getting some fresh air. No activity in the courtyard below us.

Surreal. 

Red- we're now considering getting a house in Ocean Grove NJ for a bit.. we know the area well, and have gotten stop n shop groceries delivered during previous stays. more dense/tightly packed than our other option in OC, MD (and not free either), but closer to home too (in case my office and/or job sites open- not likely, but still).

How has it been there? Where are you? Shopping ok? Deliveries.. etc?

we're on Houston and A- nexus of EVil and LES. we typically get a ton of sirens going through the intersection all day all night- police, fire, ambulances (hospitals are up 1st ave, and Houston is a main FDR exit for downtown... plus close to the Willsburgh bridge). fwiw- I'm hearing and now seeing far less sirens. I think more people are getting themselves to the hospitals for this than getting picked up. also think with nobody out and about, a lot less accidents and ambulance pickups.

we also typically get lots of honking at the intersection.

even more- 7 days a week, we get drunk kids out at all hours- especially when the bars/clubs close at 2 or 4am. 

the last two weeks... silence. it's incredible. 

there's a school and yard across the street that's still open. when we see nobody there, we'll run over for a bit and hit tennis balls, play catch or shoot hoops. after the first few days of that- I started to panic that I was getting lung issues- with some pain and tightness. but of course, it's my out of shape ### getting sore from hitting a tennis ball.

also saw our immediate upstairs neighbor and little kids over there playing with another family- not abiding 6' and even doing a lot of touching between them. #### them if they contaminate our building or get that park closed down.

otherwise, we are hunkered down. getting deliveries of groceries (the wife had stocked up before #### went south... smart, smart woman), doing school work and work... all in our tiny 2br apt. thankfully we have a private patio- size of a bedroom- out back. not a ton of son (if any) as its in the courtyard... but nice to get outside and chill. we'll need it more and more as the weather gets better. been easier hanging inside with rain and 30s/40s.
We are in Sea Girt so a couple of towns south of Ocean Grove.  It is very quiet down here but way to many people on the boardwalk such that they had to close it down.  Still allowed on the beach which we have done twice so kids can run around/play in sand.  We stay completely to ourselves on beach and go to a beach that is not off boardwalk with basically no one on it.  Playgrounds, tennis courts, etc. are all closed which is good (wish NYC would do that).  Also, having a yard here is huge for sanity of us and kids.  One aspects is we don't know anyone down here really except for immediate neighbors (one of whom is in Florida and the other is a single lady who usually lives in Manhattan) so no pressures of seeing kids friends around and then wanting to play with friends.  We stay basically to ourselves and other than going for a run and trips to beach mentioned above we are entirely holed up.  

As for shopping we have not been to grocery store.  Actual only shopping I did was buying a propane tank for the grille from a gas station on the first day we arrived.  I did drive by the local grocery store we would hit up and it seemed pretty quiet but that was like 19th or so.  Note sure what it is like now.  

We avoided grocery stores by hauling a big chunk of our food down here and made the closest Peapod reservation we could which was about two weeks out (made reservation before we even left for the shore).  It showed up yesterday with about 3/4s of our order which was admittedly huge given long wait between orders.  TP, cleaning supplies, can goods and meat/chicken was bulk of missing items.  Though we got all the fruits and veggies we ordered (except strangely onions) and basically all pasta, chicken nuggets for kids and way to snacks/junk food.  Also, only got like half the bread we wanted.  We have a bunch of extra frozen chicken we brought down so end result is pretty good for us but wife and I are talking of doing a small quick local shopping trip next week.  I want to do the trip as I know I will be in and out in like a half hour but my wife is fighting me since I have asthma but I couldn't live with it if she went and got sick.    

Lastly, Asbury Park Press website has good local news on stuff around here related to Coronavirus if looking for it.  Definitely, cases but not like crush of NYC.   Link to website - https://www.app.com

Hope this helps and let me know if you need more info.  

Thanks, man....glad to hear its going ok. Is this your spot on the shore, or a place you're renting short term?
It is our families home that we own.  Been in family for over 70 years and currently co-own with my parents .  My parents wanted to stay in Westchester so figured we would use it.  

It is our families home that we own.  Been in family for over 70 years and currently co-own with my parents .  My parents wanted to stay in Westchester so figured we would use it.  
that's great. I think some close school friends have family there too- we hung with them a bit last summer when we got our spot in Ocean Grove.

with work and probably unemployment coming up, it sadly features into how we have to approach this thing. we've never owned a car here, so for NJ, we'd have to rent the house AND the car. MD, we'd just need the car... but it's obviously much further away. 

we've been going back and forth over the pros and cons of leaving. lots of cons in both...

You guys that headed down the shore are you seeing a huge influx?  I know those towns were very worried about infrastructure and being able to handle a huge influx this time of year.  

that's great. I think some close school friends have family there too- we hung with them a bit last summer when we got our spot in Ocean Grove.

with work and probably unemployment coming up, it sadly features into how we have to approach this thing. we've never owned a car here, so for NJ, we'd have to rent the house AND the car. MD, we'd just need the car... but it's obviously much further away. 

we've been going back and forth over the pros and cons of leaving. lots of cons in both...
Hate to say it but I would go. I can imagine only getting tighter control in NY and could see something like northern Italy where you are trapped in apartment entirely. I would lean towards not needing to rent a house. 

You guys that headed down the shore are you seeing a huge influx?  I know those towns were very worried about infrastructure and being able to handle a huge influx this time of year.  
I haven’t really seen it. Of course, I have never hung out on shore during the week in March. Seems much less crowded then Summer but don’t have a real frame of reference for March. 

Also, lot of empty house in our town. Lots of retired people here who go to Florida and those folks are still in Florida so even with folks like me and others there it is not full. 

Users who are viewing this thread