What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (3 Viewers)

We want to redshirt him since he was born at the end of November. Right now he just started a 2's program, it runs 3 days a week, 3 hours a day for the entire school year. It is about $5k, so priced fairly. They offer a 3's program too, which I intend on putting him in. For preK, K, & 1st grade if we are still in the city, I intend on going with private school. By the time he finishes first grade I can then move him over into elementary school, successfully redshirted.
Pretty sure redshirting doesn't work for public school. like 99.999% sure. they look at the birthdate and put the kid in the grade.

or are you talking about moving him over to another private school at 1st grade? if so, I'd recommend doing it at pre-k or K, which is when every other kid in the city is applying and entering private schools. after that (like in 1st grade), you're hoping for a lot of luck on getting a spot which have already been filled to the brim by kids who were accepted in pre-k or K.

fantasycurse42 said:
We want to redshirt him since he was born at the end of November. Right now he just started a 2's program, it runs 3 days a week, 3 hours a day for the entire school year. It is about $5k, so priced fairly. They offer a 3's program too, which I intend on putting him in. For preK, K, & 1st grade if we are still in the city, I intend on going with private school. By the time he finishes first grade I can then move him over into elementary school, successfully redshirted.
Very very hard to redshirt in the city anymore. Regulations now require that they will send him straight to first grade if you keep him out of public school K unless you get approval of the superintendent office after recommendations from his teacher and principal (good luck getting that). One family I know ended up sending their child to private school after failing to get approvals.

Hint - You can use this fact to push for the suburbs.

fantasycurse42 said:
Very very hard to redshirt in the city anymore. Regulations now require that they will send him straight to first grade if you keep him out of public school K unless you get approval of the superintendent office after recommendations from his teacher and principal (good luck getting that). One family I know ended up sending their child to private school after failing to get approvals.

It is basically impossible from what I understand. This is why we will send him private for first grade... I doubt they can force him to skip 2nd grade if we transfer him in at that point.

fantasycurse42 said:

It is basically impossible from what I understand. This is why we will send him private for first grade... I doubt they can force him to skip 2nd grade if we transfer him in at that point.
You are talking about NYC DOE here

fantasycurse42 said:

You are talking about NYC DOE here
:goodposting:

but yeah- maybe you guys will be the exceptions.

Are you saying if someone transfers in from the 1st grade, they can send them to the 3rd grade?
yes.
but dammit- that just looks idiotic, which makes me doubt it.but idiotic and NYC DOE go hand in hand, so ... :shrug:
Making a student skip a grade when they transfer from another district is something to get lawyers involved with.
agree.

have fun with that.

How old does this rule go? If an 18 year old junior transfers in do they give him a diploma and send him on his way?

just googled without much luck- but... I found this for 1st grade:

Adds language stating a student is required to attend 1st grade based upon his or her age, unless the
principal deems that another grade placement would be more instructionally appropriate, and the
principal will consult with the Superintendent concerning placement, and the Superintendent will
make the final decision concerning the appropriate placement (p. 1, § I.A.6).

so it appears it's not black and white- some room for a reasonable principle to get involved and do the right thing.

apologies for the hyperbolic doom and gloom about this. but I still withhold hope until I hear the good news that Cursey Jr gets to publicly redshirt as long as he's redshirted enough grades.

1st grade there is no getting around, pretty sure of this, but 2nd grade I think you can do. With or without K, they're sending the kid to first grade, but I just don't think they'll be able to take a kid transferring into the district and force him to jump a grade. If they do, it'll be a lot of money lost for the FC family trying to get around the system.

In most school districts in the tri-state, the cutoff is 9/1 or 10/1, I haven't heard one good thing about the DOE in NYC.

Same with private schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was walking north on 5th and 13th, she was walking south from 14th... I saw her from a block away, worth the picture... Only can begin to imagine what she wears in the summer bc it wasn't that hot today. Ill credit her with turning a bunch of heads.

The other issue is I don't believe you assured a spot at your zoned school if it is full. So if your elementary is popular and has no spots your getting shipped to a different school.

I have a son with an Oct 15 b-day and is whole play group is trying to get around it as they are all Sept-dec bdays. Granted we are zoned for 452 now on the UWS, but if we tried this for 87 or 199 we wouldn't get in if you tried that.

The other issue is I don't believe you assured a spot at your zoned school if it is full. So if your elementary is popular and has no spots your getting shipped to a different school.

I have a son with an Oct 15 b-day and is whole play group is trying to get around it as they are all Sept-dec bdays. Granted we are zoned for 452 now on the UWS, but if we tried this for 87 or 199 we wouldn't get in if you tried that.
JFC! Are you serious? There is a ton of demand for our public school... No chance I'm sticking around for this ####. FC and fam hit the burbs in 2018!

Yeah, you're not loopholing your way into a red shirt, FC. I know you master scheme has that all important extra year added, but a gal I served on a non-profit with for several years just got an unexpected ice bucket challenge from DOE. When the rest of us were stressing over finding the perfect-for-us PS K, she sent her snowflake to a private PK, then K last year. The 7 y.o. applied for PS 1st, they said "Congrats! You're going straight to 2nd grade." She and her husband are both lawyers. Last I heard they were writing big donation checks to their UWS private trying to get back into the private school they were dropping.

but damn....

I just love NYC in the early fall.

the weather is great (even the rain today).

the sunsets are incredible- such amazing light hitting the upper parts of the buildings contrasted against the bluest of blue skies... or even against the grey like today.

and everybody dusting off their fall/winter gear- scarves, coats (lightweight), socks (for you sockless types).

LOVE it.

WTF is going on in here? Major may have to move back to NYC just to resurrect this thread.
Once upon a time, there existed an innernets message board with mid/late 20 something cool kids. Along the way, they became an i-interwoven fabric of tales about stewardesses and ball cancer. Today, many of these urbanites have either moved or talked about moving to the near-in suburbs.

You can move back to NYC all you want, and I'm sure some nights with early 20 somethings after hitting the right clubs and after party will be sweet. As you yourself point out, this thread could use a lil titillation. However, the tiits are overcome by the reality of kindergaarten and local eateries.

Aging in place, public for all to see, is an awful devolution to witness.

WTF is going on in here? Major may have to move back to NYC just to resurrect this thread.
Once upon a time, there existed an innernets message board with mid/late 20 something cool kids. Along the way, they became an i-interwoven fabric of tales about stewardesses and ball cancer. Today, many of these urbanites have either moved or talked about moving to the near-in suburbs.

You can move back to NYC all you want, and I'm sure some nights with early 20 somethings after hitting the right clubs and after party will be sweet. As you yourself point out, this thread could use a lil titillation. However, the tiits are overcome by the reality of kindergaarten and local eateries.

:lol: Touche GB. That being said, Im on the wrong side of 30 and still fighting the good fight. However, this slower paced Texas lifestyle and pleathora of busty, fertile women is making a Major give serious consideration to hang up the jersey and settle down.

Plus there's FC and his damned enormous umbrellas.

Plus there's FC and his damned enormous umbrellas.
Well, yeah. That too.

I do miss somebody anybody's stories about going out here.

Other than seeing these dummies herding around the sidewalks around my apt all night every night, I have no idea what the hell is really going out there.

and it frightens me. I'm old and frightened.

:lol: Touche GB. That being said, Im on the wrong side of 30 and still fighting the good fight. However, this slower paced Texas lifestyle and pleathora of busty, fertile women is making a Major give serious consideration to hang up the jersey and settle down.
I shouldnt complain. Im on the wrong side of FORTY, but the wife's still on the right side of 30. For a little longer at least.

It may be the burbs, but I can see the sound from my living room, and here the crickets out my window. Quick drive, train or car and we are in the midst. Not the worst compromise.

JFC! Are you serious? There is a ton of demand for our public school... No chance I'm sticking around for this ####. FC and fam hit the burbs in 2018!
Yup, this is true. I think you missed my first post on the issue where I had this nice little hint for you that you could use this stuff to move to the suburbs if that is what you want.

I do miss somebody anybody's stories about going out here.

Other than seeing these dummies herding around the sidewalks around my apt all night every night, I have no idea what the hell is really going out there.

and it frightens me. I'm old and frightened.
GET OFF HIS STOOP!

Yup, this is true. I think you missed my first post on the issue where I had this nice little hint for you that you could use this stuff to move to the suburbs if that is what you want.
Not to go back to this from busty blondes, but the coach of our bike team is friends with the principal at 452. 452 is a little different since its the new UWS school and has plenty of space (as an aside it's also the "best" UWS elementary now as the principal is the ex-Anderson Asst Princ and he's basically had free reign to hand pick all the teachers), whereas 87 and 199 are both overcrowded and good luck getting in even for those zoned there for K.

The entire process is so screwed up especially for those of us with kids with a Sept 1-Dec 31 birthday. You basically have to decide when they are 4 or 5 if you want them to be in public or private school their entire life and if it's public they will be the youngest. There's really no way of getting around it. If it's private then you have the whole pre-school application process (not fun...I spent a little more than 10K in JCC newborn and toddler programs and their gym/pool to not get into the preschool) and then you get to do it again for kindergarten (not fun again).

I also know 2 biking friends who rent apartments (one for 87 and the bike coach for 452 this year) to be able to go to those schools. Just absurd, but I guess it's cheaper than private.

/endrant

the other side of the private vs public is this:

-private schools let you know admission status on a specific day (like March 6) and give you a week to decide- which means sending in a big check.

- public schools let you know months later.

There's no waffling here, unless you're comfortable losing upwards of 5digits *poof* of that non-refundable deposit while waiting to hear which public school Jr got into. We've had a LOT of friends go this route- some more comfortable than others with the loss- but both looking long term at losing that versus shelling out 40k/year ad nauseum.

We had friends in the same *cough* income bracket as us at our old lovely private school (2s to 8th grade- The Blue School) who made the decision to wait out their kid's GT K status, but cover their asses at the private by giving the deposit... hoping/figuring that since it's a lovely/friendly place where we had all been for 3 years, that the administration would be more amenable to refunding some or all of that deposit. We rolled the dice the other way, since we didn't feel right expecting that refund and couldn't afford full-time either way past that year. They didn't get a penny back and got a 98 on the GT- out of the running for city-wides.

This is ####### terrible... I think 2018 is when we move... son will be 5 going on 6 and ready to hit K. I've looked at a bunch of schools in NJ which are all 9/1, 10/1, or in a few rare circumstances 11/1. Regardless, he fits in with all of these.

It is amazing what a ####### ####show the school system in this city is :hot:

This is ####### terrible... I think 2018 is when we move... son will be 5 going on 6 and ready to hit K. I've looked at a bunch of schools in NJ which are all 9/1, 10/1, or in a few rare circumstances 11/1. Regardless, he fits in with all of these.

It is amazing what a ####### ####show the school system in this city is :hot:
yep.

that said- I'm very happy with my son's school, and he's learning a ton. Getting him IN to the school- hard work... but since then- easy.

Any of you guys use Urban Daddy?
Is it like MommyPoppins.com? :bag:
the sad thing is- I went in hoping/expecting it to be like that, just for dads. :bag:

no- it's "daddy" from Swingers, not from our miserable lives. Lists new bars/restaurants/nightlifey stuff and appears to cater to whatever neighborhood you want or city-wide. occasionally offers discounts too.

I get daily emails that tell me where cool stuff is. I've seen none of said cool stuff.... but figure some of you are child-challenged and take advantage of it.

dammit. It kills me that I know exactly what mommypoppins is... and use it.

Users who are viewing this thread