What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (3 Viewers)

For those who are even slightly aware / interested in state politics Shelly Silver was arrested today for what appears to be at least $4 Million in bribes and kickbacks.

For those who don't know, Silver has been the leader of the Assembly forever and has probably been the most powerful man in Albany for a while now. This could have some major ramifications with certain individuals, lobby firms, corporations and will be curious how the Gov and his distain for his own ethics committee plays into this.

For those who are even slightly aware / interested in state politics Shelly Silver was arrested today for what appears to be at least $4 Million in bribes and kickbacks.

For those who don't know, Silver has been the leader of the Assembly forever and has probably been the most powerful man in Albany for a while now. This could have some major ramifications with certain individuals, lobby firms, corporations and will be curious how the Gov and his distain for his own ethics committee plays into this.
yeah- this story is both crazy and almost laughably a given.

fwiw- he represents my district and almost always got my vote.

Pfffttt.... Also a major influence in the Jets not getting a chance at a NYC Stadium.....

Pretty sure he's got Dolan money in his pockets...

I was supposed to make reservations to Asiate for Valentine's Day, I waited too long and now they're booked :kicksrock:

Valentine's Day dinner recommendations?

I was supposed to make reservations to Asiate for Valentine's Day, I waited too long and now they're booked :kicksrock:

Shark move...make a 9pm reservation on the 13th, have an awesome meal, and ravage the Mrs when you get home at midnight.

Shark move...make a 9pm reservation on the 13th, have an awesome meal, and ravage the Mrs when you get home at midnight.
I've been looking at reservations on the 13th too, things are booked pretty solid.
you have an Amex? their concierge gets me tables better than anything else- including things that are booked online

How does this Amex thing work? Do I have to call them and ask them to get me a reservation?

Got a reservation for Il Mulino Prime, never been before...

How does this Amex thing work? Do I have to call them and ask them to get me a reservation?

platinum comes with a concierge service... get put through to them and they'll hook you up.

never heard of Mulino...

platinum comes with a concierge service... get put through to them and they'll hook you up.

never heard of Mulino...
Il Mulino is considered one of the better / best Italian restaurants. Have a couple spots in the City, one close to me on Long Island and I believe a Vegas outpost now as well. Prime is located across the street from the SoHo Grand Hotel.

The concierge may be the rationale for me to go Platinum (gold now). It also has Airport Lounge benefits as well, yes?

never heard of Mulino...
Il Mulino is considered one of the better / best Italian restaurants. Have a couple spots in the City, one close to me on Long Island and I believe a Vegas outpost now as well. Prime is located across the street from the SoHo Grand Hotel.

The concierge may be the rationale for me to go Platinum (gold now). It also has Airport Lounge benefits as well, yes?
yeah- lounge, plus $200 in paid travel fees (bags, in-flight food/drinks/wifi).

eta: reimbursed, not paid. and you have to select only one airline with whom that applies.

Last edited by a moderator:

never heard of Mulino...

I've never eaten at any of them... Prime is more of a steakhousey kinda place from what I was reading? Although they do Italian so I'm hoping that is good too... There weren't too many decent reservations left, so I took it.

We'll be going to Co-op in the Rivington Hotel.

Stupid wife has her bday on the 13th, so we'll stay there over night, dinner with small group, drinks with bigger group after. It's our first time both being away from the kids... pretty psyched, but also dreading the 2am phone call that one of them can't exist without us.

We'll be going to Co-op in the Rivington Hotel.

Stupid wife has her bday on the 13th, so we'll stay there over night, dinner with small group, drinks with bigger group after. It's our first time both being away from the kids... pretty psyched, but also dreading the 2am phone call that one of them can't exist without us.
:hot:

Thanks for the reminder. Made my reservation just now in Brooklyn!
Where in Brooklyn?

With the progress of Opentable, you really need to get ahead of this stuff... Things are booked over a month in advance, kinda crazy.
Colonia Verde in Fort Greene. We like to stay close to home because of the kid and most Brooklyn restaurants we like don't take reservations. This place is fairly new and gets good marks so I'm happy to try it out.

The only thing I hate is that a lot of places have limited, special menus for VDay.
sucks- totally agree.
Hate V-Day plans and even worth being on a Sat. I'd much rather have a great dinner at home, or one of our local favs where we have some pull.

If I lived in the City I'd be down for some Mamoun's Falafel and then a great meal the next weekend when it's dead (and isn't that around restaurant week?)

The only thing I hate is that a lot of places have limited, special menus for VDay.
sucks- totally agree.
Hate V-Day plans and even worth being on a Sat. I'd much rather have a great dinner at home, or one of our local favs where we have some pull.

If I lived in the City I'd be down for some Mamoun's Falafel and then a great meal the next weekend when it's dead (and isn't that around restaurant week?)
Yeah, not sure if we'll go out that night. There would be no way if it was a weeknight because my wife wouldn't miss a gym class. Maybe find something in Forest Hills for a late lunch or something local that night. Thankfully, she's not big on the holiday.

whoa... they're talking about "potentially historic blizzard" monday/tuesday with upwards of a couple feet of snow for the city and big winds/white-out.

sorel time.

I have an 8pm call time tomorrow night for a job in the city. I'm guessing (hoping) it gets cancelled.

I'm going in early with an eye at getting on a train at 1:00 at the latest (South Shore Nassau).

With the winds and the low, is there any talk of storm surge? I'm closer to the water now than I was during Sandy, when I was flooded out. Irene levels will leave my floors with a few inches of water.

Wife and I stocked up over the last couple of days, so not much to get but ready to rock and roll.

Made sure we got some lixx, batteries and some munchies and can't wait to head out in the Jeep!

Good luck to those in the lowlands, hope the tides are in your favor.

This is tremendous "Get off my lawn," but whatever.

There's some NY health campaign in the LIRR where the ad shows a person with some blurb about how they couldn't afford insurance, but thanks to the new rules they can.

All of them have some giant flaw.

There's a kid who couldn't afford insurance, but lives in the East Village.

There's a woman who's house has solid walnut cabinets and granite countertops.

These people could afford insurance before, they just spent money on other things.

I want to punch the mayor in the face. I just don't like him & can't figure out how he was elected. Bloomberg came off as very smart, even when I disagreed with his points, I knew he wasn't an idiot. In comparison, this guy comes off as such a moron.

Looking to try a new restaurant this weekend with the wife... Not a Steakhouse.

Was recommended David Burke Kitchen and Blue Hill, leaning Burke right now... Anyone got a great place to try? Preferably 23rd St or below?

Was recommended David Burke Kitchen and Blue Hill, leaning Burke right now... Anyone got a great place to try? Preferably 23rd St or below?
Blue Hill is awesome- prefer that to DBK (but that's still good too).

No reservations at Blue Hill between 5-9...

Ever heard of Chef's Table? Anything else good in the Village, Soho, Noho, Tribeca areas?

No reservations at Blue Hill between 5-9...

Ever heard of Chef's Table? Anything else good in the Village, Soho, Noho, Tribeca areas?
Do you mean Market Table on Carmine? If so, it's great.

So, I'm getting serious about a trip to NYC this Summer in July for me and the Mrs. I'm thinking fly into LaGuardia and stay 4 nights.

For the moment, accommodations is where I could use some direction. I'm looking to stay below $150/night. The place just needs to be decent and have good access to Manhattan. I've done a little online sleuthing, but thought I'd try the FFA brain trust for some advice.

TIA, Will answer yours.

So, I'm getting serious about a trip to NYC this Summer in July for me and the Mrs. I'm thinking fly into LaGuardia and stay 4 nights.

For the moment, accommodations is where I could use some direction. I'm looking to stay below $150/night. The place just needs to be decent and have good access to Manhattan. I've done a little online sleuthing, but thought I'd try the FFA brain trust for some advice.

TIA, Will answer yours.
In the summer time?

That'll be really tough... Maybe check out Jersey City or Hoboken - You will only be a 15 minute train ride to either the WTC area or 9th, 14th, 23rd, 33rd street area on the west side. Also, it might be better to do the trip during weekdays as the hotels will be cheaper on Mon-Thurs.

You can prob find a real POS in that range, but I would guess you're looking at a room no bigger than 75-100 square feet and a shared bathroom.

Here you go, if you do a Sunday-Thursday trip:

http://www.expedia.com/New-York-Hotels-Chelsea-Savoy-Hotel.h3509538.Hotel-Information?chkin=07%2F19%2F2015&chkout=07%2F23%2F2015&rm1=a2&hwrqCacheKey=19d2d11e-6f3e-4be1-a5e2-02196b58f390HWRQ1422545497838&c=02f272e8-7d0c-490a-b5cb-7cc1d23bd8b1&

23rd & 7th... Good location, the subway can get you most anywhere from here. Quick ride on a 1 to the WTC, F to Rockefeller Center/Central Park/LES, A/C to Columbus Circle, and walking distance to the Empire State Building.

I'd double check to make sure this is a private bathroom (and I wouldn't expect anything fancy here), but it should meet your requirements.

The Algonquin used to be around $150 bidding on Priceline in early summer...not sure if that's still the case.

you should want to stay in the city and not in hoboken or wherever; so much of the visit will be about walking around and taking it all in- which is much better done from within.

how about AirBNB?

Here you go, if you do a Sunday-Thursday trip:

http://www.expedia.com/New-York-Hotels-Chelsea-Savoy-Hotel.h3509538.Hotel-Information?chkin=07%2F19%2F2015&chkout=07%2F23%2F2015&rm1=a2&hwrqCacheKey=19d2d11e-6f3e-4be1-a5e2-02196b58f390HWRQ1422545497838&c=02f272e8-7d0c-490a-b5cb-7cc1d23bd8b1&

23rd & 7th... Good location, the subway can get you most anywhere from here. Quick ride on a 1 to the WTC, F to Rockefeller Center/Central Park/LES, A/C to Columbus Circle, and walking distance to the Empire State Building.

I'd double check to make sure this is a private bathroom (and I wouldn't expect anything fancy here), but it should meet your requirements.
Wow, that will work. Thanks! :thumbup:

I was honestly OK with staying in Jersey or Brooklyn if it was nice enough, cheap enough and close enough to public transport into Manhattan. I didn't even think there would be anything worth a crap in Manhattan at that rate.

you should want to stay in the city and not in hoboken or wherever; so much of the visit will be about walking around and taking it all in- which is much better done from within.

how about AirBNB?
never heard of AirBNB.

Ill check into it, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread