What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer? (3 Viewers)

BustedKnuckles said:
Kabob?Corned Beef? :thumbup:
Capisci? - (said Kabeesh) is the italian expression used to ask if you understood something. Possibly, the most famous use of this expression is in the movie 'The Godfather', in which an old Marlon Brando plays the role of "Don" Vito Corleone, the aging patriarch and head of a New York mafia family. :thumbup: see...we all learn something new every day

BustedKnuckles said:
Kabob?Corned Beef?

:thanks:
Capisci? - (said Kabeesh) is the italian expression used to ask if you understood something. Possibly, the most famous use of this expression is in the movie 'The Godfather', in which an old Marlon Brando plays the role of "Don" Vito Corleone, the aging patriarch and head of a New York mafia family. :nerd: see...we all learn something new every day
you mean 'capisce'? i gotta say... i have never heard anyone pronounce it 'kaBeesh'. nor have i ever seen it spelled that way... 'capice' and 'capiche', yes, but never 'kabeesh'.also: hardly a :nerd: thing. or am i falling for shtick here?

BustedKnuckles said:
Kabob?Corned Beef?

:banned:
Capisci? - (said Kabeesh) is the italian expression used to ask if you understood something. Possibly, the most famous use of this expression is in the movie 'The Godfather', in which an old Marlon Brando plays the role of "Don" Vito Corleone, the aging patriarch and head of a New York mafia family. ;) see...we all learn something new every day
you mean 'capisce'? i gotta say... i have never heard anyone pronounce it 'kaBeesh'. nor have i ever seen it spelled that way... 'capice' and 'capiche', yes, but never 'kabeesh'.also: hardly a :nerd: thing. or am i falling for shtick here?
capeeshFrom Wiktionary

English

Interjection

capeesh

Alternative spelling of capisce.

References

"capiche" in the Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper, 2001

"capeesh" in the Encarta World English Dictionary [North American Edition], Microsoft

1. kapeesh 206 up, 18 down

Verb

Meaning of "Understand?"

Also spelt kapeesh, capeesh. An anglicization of the Italian capisci orig. U.S. - Used commonly amongst American-Italian gangsters and mobsters alike.

Kick the ball into the net, not over the net! Kapeesh?!

BustedKnuckles said:
Kabob?Corned Beef?

:thumbdown:
Capisci? - (said Kabeesh) is the italian expression used to ask if you understood something. Possibly, the most famous use of this expression is in the movie 'The Godfather', in which an old Marlon Brando plays the role of "Don" Vito Corleone, the aging patriarch and head of a New York mafia family. :thumbup: see...we all learn something new every day
you mean 'capisce'? i gotta say... i have never heard anyone pronounce it 'kabeesh'. nor have i ever seen it spelled that way... 'capice' and 'capiche', yes, but never 'kabeesh'.also: hardly a :nerd: thing. or am i falling for shtick here?
capeeshFrom Wiktionary

English

Interjection

capeesh

Alternative spelling of capisce.

References

"capiche" in the Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper, 2001

"capeesh" in the Encarta World English Dictionary [North American Edition], Microsoft

1. kapeesh 206 up, 18 down

Verb

Meaning of "Understand?"

Also spelt kapeesh, capeesh. An anglicization of the Italian capisci orig. U.S. - Used commonly amongst American-Italian gangsters and mobsters alike.

Kick the ball into the net, not over the net! Kapeesh?!
exactly.

I can't believe we have 16 pages on what would happen if Shady fought a professional boxer...

He would be destroyed...

Anytime someone without any boxing training takes on someone who has training, it's not going to be pretty

He would destroy you after your out of breath after :30 seconds. I'm sure he'd be scared of your weight lifting strength if you came out in a Superman wife beater.

A bit of a slow day here, so I figured this might be pertinent.

Apparently Pros vs. Joes did something like this. I'm not sure how much the Joe weighed here, I would guess it's probably around 200 pounds, but an out of shape and retired Arturo Gatti(fought from super featherweight to welterweight(140 pounds)) just puts a beating on this scrub.

The video

Apparently Pros vs. Joes did something like this. I'm not sure how much the Joe weighed here, I would guess it's probably around 200 pounds, but an out of shape and retired Arturo Gatti(fought from super featherweight to welterweight(140 pounds)) just puts a beating on this scrub.

The video
I hope to god that shady sets up a fight like this one day and posts the video on Youtube.

ChrisHenrysDD said:

The video
That's awesome. Gatti was just trying to knock him out - Leading with hooks - which no one would ever do against an opponent they respected.

ChrisHenrysDD said:

The video
That's awesome. Gatti was just trying to knock him out - Leading with hooks - which no one would ever do against an opponent they respected.
He drills him with the same exact left hook that he set up the same way twice. Feigning the right hand and just plastering him when he moves the wrong way. Hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisHenrysDD said:

The video
He drills him with the same exact left hook that he set up the same way twice. Feigning the right hand and just plastering him when he moves the wrong way. Hilarious.
:thumbup: great video

ChrisHenrysDD said:

The video
Makes perfect sense when you think about it.. A fighter with no training is almost always going to expect the power hand lead because that's the typical street/bar brawl throw. Didn't think a lead hand hook could come that quick and with that much power.

ChrisHenrysDD said:

The video
Makes perfect sense when you think about it.. A fighter with no training is almost always going to expect the power hand lead because that's the typical street/bar brawl throw. Didn't think a lead hand hook could come that quick and with that much power.
But he's so small! He goes twelve rounds with other small dudes and can't knock them out! He can't hit hard! I'll just push him around and do my patented wind-up haymaker! It can't fail!

I've been doing a little networking, and I might be able to set you up with something in the San Antonio area. Would you do it?
Lets talk. I am all for it assuming little things like my life don't get in the way.I have already contacted a couple gyms here, and one in Austin (there 2 days a week) - I will at least join for a month to see what goes on. A guy at my current gym boxes and he is also looking into it.From the looks of the gyms here in SA.. I am leaning towards the one in austin.
How's the training going?
It isn't. Taking all I got not to gain weight right now. ;)
Wise move. It is very much in your best interest to continue finding excuses not to do this.J
:shrug: never known you to :goodposting: 2 classes of BJJ under my belt (see other thread)... the boxing gyms are just plain unattractive to me (I would never go). I'm sorry to disappoint all those who felt this was ever a macho deal. It was always a common sense deal. I can only grin in amusement at those of you who seemingly think this is a shot at my ego.Don't recall ever making an excuse, fact is I have many priorities in life - this ranks among many other things i am curious and interested in yet may never do. Little things like my job, wife, kids, lack of free time get in the way.I stand by my original premise without a second of doubt. No chance a 5'6" 125lb guy takes me out.PS - Re: the video: Gatti fought at 145lbs, 20 lbs higher than we are discussing. In that video I'd put him much higher.

The video
I hope to god that shady sets up a fight like this one day and posts the video on Youtube.
:goodposting: I never said I was going to do this. Matuski did.

I've been doing a little networking, and I might be able to set you up with something in the San Antonio area. Would you do it?
Lets talk. I am all for it assuming little things like my life don't get in the way.I have already contacted a couple gyms here, and one in Austin (there 2 days a week) - I will at least join for a month to see what goes on. A guy at my current gym boxes and he is also looking into it.From the looks of the gyms here in SA.. I am leaning towards the one in austin.
It isn't. Taking all I got not to gain weight right now. ;)
Wise move. It is very much in your best interest to continue finding excuses not to do this.J
:unsure: never known you to :hot: 2 classes of BJJ under my belt (see other thread)... the boxing gyms are just plain unattractive to me (I would never go). I'm sorry to disappoint all those who felt this was ever a macho deal. It was always a common sense deal. I can only grin in amusement at those of you who seemingly think this is a shot at my ego.Don't recall ever making an excuse, fact is I have many priorities in life - this ranks among many other things i am curious and interested in yet may never do. Little things like my job, wife, kids, lack of free time get in the way.I stand by my original premise without a second of doubt. No chance a 5'6" 125lb guy takes me out.PS - Re: the video: Gatti fought at 145lbs, 20 lbs higher than we are discussing. In that video I'd put him much higher.
It's scary you think I'm fishing. Watch the video. That would be best case scenario for the non pro. I don't really care either way. I certainly mean what I say that I don't want you to do this as it's not in your best long term health interests. I just hate to see exceptionally skilled people like elite level fighters (or any other sport) not get the credit they deserve. Whether it's coaching the NFL or MMA, I don't have much patience for the "I could do that better" shtick.J

It isn't. Taking all I got not to gain weight right now. :thumbup:
:shrug: never known you to :fishing: 2 classes of BJJ under my belt (see other thread)... the boxing gyms are just plain unattractive to me (I would never go). I'm sorry to disappoint all those who felt this was ever a macho deal. It was always a common sense deal. I can only grin in amusement at those of you who seemingly think this is a shot at my ego.Don't recall ever making an excuse, fact is I have many priorities in life - this ranks among many other things i am curious and interested in yet may never do. Little things like my job, wife, kids, lack of free time get in the way.I stand by my original premise without a second of doubt. No chance a 5'6" 125lb guy takes me out.PS - Re: the video: Gatti fought at 145lbs, 20 lbs higher than we are discussing. In that video I'd put him much higher.
You'd never even hit the guy you were fighting...

Lets talk. I am all for it assuming little things like my life don't get in the way.I have already contacted a couple gyms here, and one in Austin (there 2 days a week) - I will at least join for a month to see what goes on. A guy at my current gym boxes and he is also looking into it.

From the looks of the gyms here in SA.. I am leaning towards the one in austin.
:shrug: never known you to :fishing: 2 classes of BJJ under my belt (see other thread)... the boxing gyms are just plain unattractive to me (I would never go). I'm sorry to disappoint all those who felt this was ever a macho deal. It was always a common sense deal. I can only grin in amusement at those of you who seemingly think this is a shot at my ego.

Don't recall ever making an excuse, fact is I have many priorities in life - this ranks among many other things i am curious and interested in yet may never do. Little things like my job, wife, kids, lack of free time get in the way.

I stand by my original premise without a second of doubt. No chance a 5'6" 125lb guy takes me out.

PS - Re: the video: Gatti fought at 145lbs, 20 lbs higher than we are discussing. In that video I'd put him much higher.
You're training? Wasn't the point that you would go in untrained, to fight a professional fighter that was half your size?

I did my first sparring in Karate this past saturday. i am a beginner and sparred with a 14yo blackbelt and a mid 30's black belt. The kid was much more advanced and faster than me. I think he was going a little easy on me. As long as I kept punching to his face, he couldn't get close enough with his punches, and I was blocking most of his kicks. If I was going to take him in a fight, I would have had to take him to the ground if it went longer than two minutes, I could barely catch my breath afterwards.

I was beat after the match and then I sparred the older guy and I was so tired I could barely hold my arms up. He got a real nice kick right in my jaw when he faked a low kick and then went high when I dropped my arms.

PsychoMan said:
matuski said:
Lets talk. I am all for it assuming little things like my life don't get in the way.I have already contacted a couple gyms here, and one in Austin (there 2 days a week) - I will at least join for a month to see what goes on. A guy at my current gym boxes and he is also looking into it.

It isn't. Taking all I got not to gain weight right now. :wub:
:shrug: never known you to :goodposting: 2 classes of BJJ under my belt (see other thread)... the boxing gyms are just plain unattractive to me (I would never go). I'm sorry to disappoint all those who felt this was ever a macho deal. It was always a common sense deal. I can only grin in amusement at those of you who seemingly think this is a shot at my ego.

Don't recall ever making an excuse, fact is I have many priorities in life - this ranks among many other things i am curious and interested in yet may never do. Little things like my job, wife, kids, lack of free time get in the way.

I stand by my original premise without a second of doubt. No chance a 5'6" 125lb guy takes me out.

PS - Re: the video: Gatti fought at 145lbs, 20 lbs higher than we are discussing. In that video I'd put him much higher.
You're training? Wasn't the point that you would go in untrained, to fight a professional fighter that was half your size?
You are not the first person to put words in my mouth. :shrug:

PsychoMan said:
matuski said:

:shrug: never known you to :thumbup: 2 classes of BJJ under my belt (see other thread)... the boxing gyms are just plain unattractive to me (I would never go). I'm sorry to disappoint all those who felt this was ever a macho deal. It was always a common sense deal. I can only grin in amusement at those of you who seemingly think this is a shot at my ego.

You are not the first person to put words in my mouth. :shrug:
:lmao: Yeah I haven't read all 16 pages so that's very possible, that's just what I assumed. I think it would be more interesting to see an untrained big guy fight a trained little guy.

matuski said:
It isn't. Taking all I got not to gain weight right now. :confused:
:bs: never known you to :goodposting: 2 classes of BJJ under my belt (see other thread)... the boxing gyms are just plain unattractive to me (I would never go). I'm sorry to disappoint all those who felt this was ever a macho deal. It was always a common sense deal. I can only grin in amusement at those of you who seemingly think this is a shot at my ego.Don't recall ever making an excuse, fact is I have many priorities in life - this ranks among many other things i am curious and interested in yet may never do. Little things like my job, wife, kids, lack of free time get in the way.I stand by my original premise without a second of doubt. No chance a 5'6" 125lb guy takes me out.PS - Re: the video: Gatti fought at 145lbs, 20 lbs higher than we are discussing. In that video I'd put him much higher.
Of course the little guy has no chance to take you out, because you come up with a million excuses to make sure he never does. You remind of the guy whose buddies are holding him back from fighting, but he really has zero interest in fighting and claims he would have whipped everyone's butt in the bar if he wasn't getting held back. Every local bar or tavern has them. Carry on with your fantasy.

Ok what happened here? The last time I checked in we were talking about a 125 lb guy in a street fight (ie a clench and then try to go to the ground). Now we're watching 160+ lb Gatti in a boxing match?

matuski said:

:shrug: never known you to :nerd: 2 classes of BJJ under my belt (see other thread)... the boxing gyms are just plain unattractive to me (I would never go). I'm sorry to disappoint all those who felt this was ever a macho deal. It was always a common sense deal. I can only grin in amusement at those of you who seemingly think this is a shot at my ego.

Of course the little guy has no chance to take you out, because you come up with a million excuses to make sure he never does. You remind of the guy whose buddies are holding him back from fighting, but he really has zero interest in fighting and claims he would have whipped everyone's butt in the bar if he wasn't getting held back. Every local bar or tavern has them. Carry on with your fantasy.
I surely could never avoid one of your hail makers. :lmao: Add Irish to those oblivious to the points made in the thread.... even when his sig sums it all up perfectly.

Ok what happened here? The last time I checked in we were talking about a 125 lb guy in a street fight (ie a clench and then try to go to the ground). Now we're watching 160+ lb Gatti in a boxing match?
It has become a contest to see who can find the craziest "what if" scenario.

I would give myself good odds with the likes of Pacquiao. He is listed at 5'6" 126lbs, in the pictures I call serious BS on the 5'6" part - he BARELY clears the top ropes. IN A STREET FIGHT (as in I would not box with him).
:cry:

I'd much rather pay 60 bucks to see this.

<_<
:mellow: 2 years and 16 pages later, and Otis still has the best post in this thread.

I'll ante $60 as well.

That's $120 to see matuski fight a professional featherweight in the street.

If I were a richer man, I'd offer $200 to see it happen. The beatdown would be funniest thing ever seen here.

Are we talking a 200 lb man in unbelievable shape, or a "regular joe" 200 lb man who is really just a 175 lb man with 25 pounds of baby fat? I mean, most boxers cut a minimum of 10 pounds before a fight, so a 125 pound boxer is really a 135-140 pound man.

To those who believe that any trained fighter will beat any untrained fighter of any size, do you really believe Manny Pacquio would take, let's say, Ray Lewis in a street fight?

Obviously, I guarantee victory for Manny in a boxing match, but given a street fight, anything goes setting I'm probably not betting.

Are we talking a 200 lb man in unbelievable shape, or a "regular joe" 200 lb man who is really just a 175 lb man with 25 pounds of baby fat? I mean, most boxers cut a minimum of 10 pounds before a fight, so a 125 pound boxer is really a 135-140 pound man. To those who believe that any trained fighter will beat any untrained fighter of any size, do you really believe Manny Pacquio would take, let's say, Ray Lewis in a street fight?Obviously, I guarantee victory for Manny in a boxing match, but given a street fight, anything goes setting I'm probably not betting.
There aren't many Ray Lewis's walking around. Regardless, getting hit in the head is getting hit in the head. With someone like Pac hitting you flush in the noggin, there's a good chance you're going down. I don't care who you are

I'll put up $50, and there's a 5'7", 135 lb. pro Muay Thai fighter that I know who may be up for the challenge.

His name's Phanuwat “Coke” Chunhawat. Do a search.

Are we talking a 200 lb man in unbelievable shape, or a "regular joe" 200 lb man who is really just a 175 lb man with 25 pounds of baby fat? I mean, most boxers cut a minimum of 10 pounds before a fight, so a 125 pound boxer is really a 135-140 pound man. To those who believe that any trained fighter will beat any untrained fighter of any size, do you really believe Manny Pacquio would take, let's say, Ray Lewis in a street fight?Obviously, I guarantee victory for Manny in a boxing match, but given a street fight, anything goes setting I'm probably not betting.
There aren't many Ray Lewis's walking around. Regardless, getting hit in the head is getting hit in the head. With someone like Pac hitting you flush in the noggin, there's a good chance you're going down. I don't care who you are
Yeah, I agree that there aren't too many men built like Ray Lewis walking around, but there are some. It seemed that most people in this thread think that a 130 pound trained fighter is gonna kill ANY untrained fighter regardless of size and I don't buy that. Take Ray Lewis, he's not a trained fighter, but he's been taking hits to his body and head since he was 8. I would be willing to bet that a helmet to helmet collision with the likes of Adrian Peterson or Jamal Lewis is just a traumatic to the brain as a punch from a 130 pound boxer with a boxing glove. So trying to say he'd be completely blown away by the first punch is ridiculous IMO(even considering a street fight would be bare knuckled). And if he does absorb the first few punches then Pacquio is in trouble because Lewis would be quick enough and athletic enough to get him to the ground. With the weight of a 260 lb man on his chest Pacquio's boxing instincts go out the window IMO.Considering all that, like I said I wouldn't bet on that fight.

I already stated Pacquaio is 130 lbs. You don't think he would knock you out with a shot to the chin? It makes it easier to discuss if you put a face on it instead of talking about 5'1" jockeys.If you're talking about a street fight - there isn't a 125 class in MMA, but there is a long list of guys 150 and under who would seriously damage the average untrained 225 lber. In any real gym, they will have sparred with the heavyweights on a regular basis. Kid Yamamoto is about 145 and would mess you up. Olympic level wrestling, heavy hands and a mean streak.
I would give myself good odds with the likes of Pacquiao. He is listed at 5'6" 126lbs, in the pictures I call serious BS on the 5'6" part - he BARELY clears the top ropes. IN A STREET FIGHT (as in I would not box with him).Once you get to 150lb range, I have made no claims about that.5'8"-5'11" 150lbs >>>>>>>>> 5'2"-5'6" 125lbs. No comparison.
Ham-esque levels of delusion here.

in the ring you would look like a fool. Your friends would bust your ballz for years after that beat down.

A street fight may be a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread