What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer? (1 Viewer)

Mike Shanahan Fan said:
I already stated Pacquaio is 130 lbs. You don't think he would knock you out with a shot to the chin? It makes it easier to discuss if you put a face on it instead of talking about 5'1" jockeys.If you're talking about a street fight - there isn't a 125 class in MMA, but there is a long list of guys 150 and under who would seriously damage the average untrained 225 lber. In any real gym, they will have sparred with the heavyweights on a regular basis. Kid Yamamoto is about 145 and would mess you up. Olympic level wrestling, heavy hands and a mean streak.
I would give myself good odds with the likes of Pacquiao. He is listed at 5'6" 126lbs, in the pictures I call serious BS on the 5'6" part - he BARELY clears the top ropes. IN A STREET FIGHT (as in I would not box with him).Once you get to 150lb range, I have made no claims about that.5'8"-5'11" 150lbs >>>>>>>>> 5'2"-5'6" 125lbs. No comparison.
Ham-esque levels of delusion here.
That is me, and he is now @10 pounds heavier.At 5'6" 126lbs (again I call BS on the 5'6" listing after seeing him again last night), I'd be fine.Go stand an in-shape 6'2"/3" 225lb guy next to Pacquiao 2007. Like standing next to a high school cheerleader. It would have to be one shot, and if I have no interest in boxing he will have a hell of a time hitting me. Anything other than boxing, I can't comprehend what advantage giving up 8"+ and 100 lbs would give. :shrug:Don't see the delusion sorry. That is smaller than Neve Campbell and Selma Hayek. About the same size as Katie Holmes, Lisa Kudrow, Terry Hatcher.This isn't even slightly a macho thing, as I don't consider it a big deal to overmatch someone that much smaller than you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Shanahan Fan said:
I already stated Pacquaio is 130 lbs. You don't think he would knock you out with a shot to the chin? It makes it easier to discuss if you put a face on it instead of talking about 5'1" jockeys.If you're talking about a street fight - there isn't a 125 class in MMA, but there is a long list of guys 150 and under who would seriously damage the average untrained 225 lber. In any real gym, they will have sparred with the heavyweights on a regular basis. Kid Yamamoto is about 145 and would mess you up. Olympic level wrestling, heavy hands and a mean streak.
I would give myself good odds with the likes of Pacquiao. He is listed at 5'6" 126lbs, in the pictures I call serious BS on the 5'6" part - he BARELY clears the top ropes. IN A STREET FIGHT (as in I would not box with him).Once you get to 150lb range, I have made no claims about that.5'8"-5'11" 150lbs >>>>>>>>> 5'2"-5'6" 125lbs. No comparison.
That is me, and he is now @10 pounds heavier.At 5'6" 126lbs (again I call BS on the 5'6" listing after seeing him again last night), I'd be fine.Go stand an in-shape 6'2"/3" 225lb guy next to Pacquiao 2007. Like standing next to a high school cheerleader. It would have to be one shot, and if I have no interest in boxing he will have a hell of a time hitting me. Anything other than boxing, I can't comprehend what advantage giving up 8"+ and 100 lbs would give. :shrug:Don't see the delusion sorry. That is smaller than Neve Campbell and Selma Hayek. About the same size as Katie Holmes, Lisa Kudrow, Terry Hatcher.This isn't even slightly a macho thing, as I don't consider it a big deal to overmatch someone that much smaller than you.
Even if you aren't "interested" in boxing, how would you get close to him without him hitting you?

Mike Shanahan Fan said:
That is me, and he is now @10 pounds heavier.At 5'6" 126lbs (again I call BS on the 5'6" listing after seeing him again last night), I'd be fine.Go stand an in-shape 6'2"/3" 225lb guy next to Pacquiao 2007. Like standing next to a high school cheerleader. It would have to be one shot, and if I have no interest in boxing he will have a hell of a time hitting me. Anything other than boxing, I can't comprehend what advantage giving up 8"+ and 100 lbs would give. :mellow:Don't see the delusion sorry. That is smaller than Neve Campbell and Selma Hayek. About the same size as Katie Holmes, Lisa Kudrow, Terry Hatcher.This isn't even slightly a macho thing, as I don't consider it a big deal to overmatch someone that much smaller than you.
Even if you aren't "interested" in boxing, how would you get close to him without him hitting you?
Maybe he can turn invisible.

encaitar said:
Are we talking a 200 lb man in unbelievable shape, or a "regular joe" 200 lb man who is really just a 175 lb man with 25 pounds of baby fat? I mean, most boxers cut a minimum of 10 pounds before a fight, so a 125 pound boxer is really a 135-140 pound man. To those who believe that any trained fighter will beat any untrained fighter of any size, do you really believe Manny Pacquio would take, let's say, Ray Lewis in a street fight?Obviously, I guarantee victory for Manny in a boxing match, but given a street fight, anything goes setting I'm probably not betting.
Ray Lewis is not a "regular" 200 pound man.I believe he goes 250lbs+ and is a professional athlete, which means he's in great shape. He's incredibly quick and strong for a man in his early 30s. That doesn't mean he can land punches well, but he does have more of a chance than a 200lbs+ internet toughguy.

encaitar said:
Are we talking a 200 lb man in unbelievable shape, or a "regular joe" 200 lb man who is really just a 175 lb man with 25 pounds of baby fat? I mean, most boxers cut a minimum of 10 pounds before a fight, so a 125 pound boxer is really a 135-140 pound man.

To those who believe that any trained fighter will beat any untrained fighter of any size, do you really believe Manny Pacquio would take, let's say, Ray Lewis in a street fight?

Obviously, I guarantee victory for Manny in a boxing match, but given a street fight, anything goes setting I'm probably not betting.
I see what you're saying. But I don't think anyone here is making such a bright-line distinction. That being said, I think Lewis was a state champion wrestler in HS.2 times according to http://hammondwrestling.com/nflwrestlers.shtml.

Mike Shanahan Fan said:
I already stated Pacquaio is 130 lbs. You don't think he would knock you out with a shot to the chin? It makes it easier to discuss if you put a face on it instead of talking about 5'1" jockeys.

If you're talking about a street fight - there isn't a 125 class in MMA, but there is a long list of guys 150 and under who would seriously damage the average untrained 225 lber. In any real gym, they will have sparred with the heavyweights on a regular basis.

Kid Yamamoto is about 145 and would mess you up. Olympic level wrestling, heavy hands and a mean streak.
I would give myself good odds with the likes of Pacquiao. He is listed at 5'6" 126lbs, in the pictures I call serious BS on the 5'6" part - he BARELY clears the top ropes. IN A STREET FIGHT (as in I would not box with him).Once you get to 150lb range, I have made no claims about that.

5'8"-5'11" 150lbs >>>>>>>>> 5'2"-5'6" 125lbs. No comparison.
That is me, and he is now @10 pounds heavier.At 5'6" 126lbs (again I call BS on the 5'6" listing after seeing him again last night), I'd be fine.

Go stand an in-shape 6'2"/3" 225lb guy next to Pacquiao 2007. Like standing next to a high school cheerleader. It would have to be one shot, and if I have no interest in boxing he will have a hell of a time hitting me. Anything other than boxing, I can't comprehend what advantage giving up 8"+ and 100 lbs would give. :lmao:

Don't see the delusion sorry. That is smaller than Neve Campbell and Selma Hayek. About the same size as Katie Holmes, Lisa Kudrow, Terry Hatcher.

This isn't even slightly a macho thing, as I don't consider it a big deal to overmatch someone that much smaller than you.
Well...this changes everything. If you're not going to stand toe to toe with him and duke it out, then pac better get the hell out of dodge before he gets piledrived or put in the figure four.

An untrained 175 lb guy would stand a better chance against your 50 lb untrained weight advantage than you would against a pro at any weight.

We used to have a set of boxing gloves and headgear in my frat, just in case things got out of hand. We had a weight room too, so some of us had some strength. If you have no boxing skill and little endurance training, you're going to be tired in a couple of rounds at most. Odds are, you aren't going to be connecting on any knockout blows in that span with your untrained skills. At that point, the guy that has better endurance is going to win.

Against the pro, your adds aren't even this good. He can land knockout blows during that stretch, your odds of landing one go from miniscule to close to 0 because he's trained to block and dodge, and he isn't going to get tired after 2-3 rounds either.

Me and my buddies have these types of arguments all of the time. We're all weekend warrior type athletes. We were pretty good athletes in high school, but not state champs or anything. That was 20 years ago. Now, we're all carrying 15-20 lbs more than we should be and work a whole lot more than we work out. For some reason, my two buddies have insanely high opinions of themselves and think they are a week or two in the gym away from being neck and neck with world class athletes. Our arguments always end up with the two of them saying they could take someone, and me laughing hysterically. NONE of us have an iota of fight training. No boxing, martial arts, wrestling, military - nothing. One of these days, I'm gonna get one of these suckers in the ring against a legitimately trained fighter somewhere and tape the massacre.

Our latest argument went like this - Anderson Silva completely blindfolded in an MMA ring against my buddy (5'8", 190) with a pair of nunchucks. Remember, my buddy has NO martial arts training whatsoever and doesn't know how to use a pair of nunchucks. My position was my buddy last less than 90 seconds; he's actually delusional enough to think he wins.

What says the FFA brain trust? Does your opinion change if my buddy gets 6 weeks of intensive training on the proper use of nunchucks?

Me and my buddies have these types of arguments all of the time. We're all weekend warrior type athletes. We were pretty good athletes in high school, but not state champs or anything. That was 20 years ago. Now, we're all carrying 15-20 lbs more than we should be and work a whole lot more than we work out. For some reason, my two buddies have insanely high opinions of themselves and think they are a week or two in the gym away from being neck and neck with world class athletes. Our arguments always end up with the two of them saying they could take someone, and me laughing hysterically. NONE of us have an iota of fight training. No boxing, martial arts, wrestling, military - nothing. One of these days, I'm gonna get one of these suckers in the ring against a legitimately trained fighter somewhere and tape the massacre. Our latest argument went like this - Anderson Silva completely blindfolded in an MMA ring against my buddy (5'8", 190) with a pair of nunchucks. Remember, my buddy has NO martial arts training whatsoever and doesn't know how to use a pair of nunchucks. My position was my buddy last less than 90 seconds; he's actually delusional enough to think he wins. What says the FFA brain trust? Does your opinion change if my buddy gets 6 weeks of intensive training on the proper use of nunchucks?
either way your friend would die

Our latest argument went like this - Anderson Silva completely blindfolded in an MMA ring against my buddy (5'8", 190) with a pair of nunchucks. Remember, my buddy has NO martial arts training whatsoever and doesn't know how to use a pair of nunchucks. My position was my buddy last less than 90 seconds; he's actually delusional enough to think he wins.
Your buddy is destroyed.
Ray Lewis v. Pac in a street fight
Manny Pac is going to kill him. Hey may not knock him out but he will lay a hurt on Ray Lewis in a manner he has never felt before.

Me and my buddies have these types of arguments all of the time. We're all weekend warrior type athletes. We were pretty good athletes in high school, but not state champs or anything. That was 20 years ago. Now, we're all carrying 15-20 lbs more than we should be and work a whole lot more than we work out. For some reason, my two buddies have insanely high opinions of themselves and think they are a week or two in the gym away from being neck and neck with world class athletes. Our arguments always end up with the two of them saying they could take someone, and me laughing hysterically. NONE of us have an iota of fight training. No boxing, martial arts, wrestling, military - nothing. One of these days, I'm gonna get one of these suckers in the ring against a legitimately trained fighter somewhere and tape the massacre. Our latest argument went like this - Anderson Silva completely blindfolded in an MMA ring against my buddy (5'8", 190) with a pair of nunchucks. Remember, my buddy has NO martial arts training whatsoever and doesn't know how to use a pair of nunchucks. My position was my buddy last less than 90 seconds; he's actually delusional enough to think he wins. What says the FFA brain trust? Does your opinion change if my buddy gets 6 weeks of intensive training on the proper use of nunchucks?
If he was lucky & got an early strike in, maybe.I have a friend who's a cop and does local MMA here in Chicago. I asked him what he thought and he said that anyone can get a lucky early punch, so never say never. But his feeling was that the biggest disadvantage for the non-trained guy was the fact that they just aren't used to getting hit. The first time you really get punched in the face by someone who knows what he's doing and it takes a while to get your senses back. Meanwhile, the other guy's hit you 10-12 more times and you're done.

If he was lucky & got an early strike in, maybe.I have a friend who's a cop and does local MMA here in Chicago. I asked him what he thought and he said that anyone can get a lucky early punch, so never say never. But his feeling was that the biggest disadvantage for the non-trained guy was the fact that they just aren't used to getting hit. The first time you really get punched in the face by someone who knows what he's doing and it takes a while to get your senses back. Meanwhile, the other guy's hit you 10-12 more times and you're done.
im sayin, couldnt you just get behind him and smash him in the back of the head once with the chucks?

This thread is awesome. :confused:

Let's knock it off with the idea that "Manny vs. Ray Lewis" is somehow relevant to the question. Ray would kill Manny in a street fight, but that's not relevant. Ray is far from an "average Joe." And he's far from an "untrained fighter." Again, the guy was an elite level wrestler, and MMA has shown us pretty conclusively that H2H, all else being equal, pure grapplers will destroy pure punchers. But all else is not equal. Ray is a world class athlete -- actually, he's among the elite class, even among world class athletes -- who outweighs Manny by over 100 lbs of pure muscle. He has a ton of experience taking punishment, and makes his living closing the distance between himself and another human being quickly and destructively. Ray would take a good shot on the way in, then would tackle the guy and destroy him on the ground.

But hey, let's not go comparing Ray and Matuski, huh? I don't think anybody's saying that there's nobody alive who could take Manny in a fight. Yeah, there are a few Ray Lewises walking around. But they're not relevant to the discussion. They fit into that small sliver of humanity who qualify as people you'd want to pick a fight in a dark alley with even less than Manny. That sliver is a completely different demographic than reasonably-in-shape internet tough guy.

Don't know if this has been posted but if not case closed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QA6s7p-zU8

Or a guy who beats a whole car load of people's ###

:confused: @ "you see this all the time." Yes, assuming you live on a Hollywood movie set.

Mike Shanahan Fan said:
That is me, and he is now @10 pounds heavier.At 5'6" 126lbs (again I call BS on the 5'6" listing after seeing him again last night), I'd be fine.Go stand an in-shape 6'2"/3" 225lb guy next to Pacquiao 2007. Like standing next to a high school cheerleader. It would have to be one shot, and if I have no interest in boxing he will have a hell of a time hitting me. Anything other than boxing, I can't comprehend what advantage giving up 8"+ and 100 lbs would give. :thumbdown:Don't see the delusion sorry. That is smaller than Neve Campbell and Selma Hayek. About the same size as Katie Holmes, Lisa Kudrow, Terry Hatcher.This isn't even slightly a macho thing, as I don't consider it a big deal to overmatch someone that much smaller than you.
Why would I close on him?

I am your size (6'2", 225lbs) and I have had this debate with friends many times.I say with certainty I can woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills.It would be like fighting a fourth grade boxer.
Jesus. :confused:
There is plenty of this in this thread, but very little about what a guy this size would possibly do against someone who has a clue about defending himself. :thumbdown:
Don't see the delusion sorry. That is smaller than Neve Campbell and Selma Hayek. About the same size as Katie Holmes, Lisa Kudrow, Terry Hatcher.

There is plenty of this in this thread, but very little about what a guy this size would possibly do against someone who has a clue about defending himself. :thumbdown:

you think Neve Campbell and Salma Hayek have Manny's speed and punching power?

No, where did I say that? People's only attacks are things I am not saying, almost nothing acknowledging or addressing what I am saying.I just think it is clear that people don't quite appreciate how tiny this is.And for a third time, the people piling on watching last night... that Pacquaio is fighting in the 140lb Light Welterweight, the Pacquiao of 2007 when this thread took place was his Bantam/Featherweight days. 15-20lb difference. Take 15% off that guy lastnight.

This thread is awesome. :lmao:

Let's knock it off with the idea that "Manny vs. Ray Lewis" is somehow relevant to the question. Ray would kill Manny in a street fight, but that's not relevant. Ray is far from an "average Joe." And he's far from an "untrained fighter." Again, the guy was an elite level wrestler, and MMA has shown us pretty conclusively that H2H, all else being equal, pure grapplers will destroy pure punchers. But all else is not equal. Ray is a world class athlete -- actually, he's among the elite class, even among world class athletes -- who outweighs Manny by over 100 lbs of pure muscle. He has a ton of experience taking punishment, and makes his living closing the distance between himself and another human being quickly and destructively. Ray would take a good shot on the way in, then would tackle the guy and destroy him on the ground.

But hey, let's not go comparing Ray and Matuski, huh? I don't think anybody's saying that there's nobody alive who could take Manny in a fight. Yeah, there are a few Ray Lewises walking around. But they're not relevant to the discussion. They fit into that small sliver of humanity who qualify as people you'd want to pick a fight in a dark alley with even less than Manny. That sliver is a completely different demographic than reasonably-in-shape internet tough guy.

Don't know if this has been posted but if not case closed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QA6s7p-zU8

Or a guy who beats a whole car load of people's ###

:mellow:

There is plenty of this in this thread, but very little about what a guy this size would possibly do against someone who has a clue about defending himself. :mellow:

No, where did I say that? People's only attacks are things I am not saying, almost nothing acknowledging or addressing what I am saying.I just think it is clear that people don't quite appreciate how tiny this is.And for a third time, the people piling on watching last night... that Pacquaio is fighting in the 140lb Light Welterweight, the Pacquiao of 2007 when this thread took place was his Bantam/Featherweight days. 15-20lb difference. Take 15% off that guy lastnight.
Even at 125, you'd still be toast. And I don't think Pacquiao would even have to hit you in the head to end it.

There is plenty of this in this thread, but very little about what a guy this size would possibly do against someone who has a clue about defending himself. :mellow:

Even at 125, you'd still be toast. And I don't think Pacquiao would even have to hit you in the head to end it.
Fair enough, I disagree.

No, where did I say that? People's only attacks are things I am not saying, almost nothing acknowledging or addressing what I am saying.I just think it is clear that people don't quite appreciate how tiny this is.

And for a third time, the people piling on watching last night... that Pacquaio is fighting in the 140lb Light Welterweight, the Pacquiao of 2007 when this thread took place was his Bantam/Featherweight days. 15-20lb difference. Take 15% off that guy lastnight.
:lmao:

I am your size (6'2", 225lbs) and I have had this debate with friends many times.I say with certainty I can woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills.It would be like fighting a fourth grade boxer.
Jesus. :lmao:
So you're backing off your statement about "whooping" him?

I am your size (6'2", 225lbs) and I have had this debate with friends many times.

I say with certainty I can woop any 5ft nothing 115-125lb guy pretty much regardless of boxing or other skills.

It would be like fighting a fourth grade boxer.
Jesus. :lmao:
So you're backing off your statement about "whooping" him?
No. But it is clear you guys are wanting it to mean more than it does. Which is to be expected, I'm just here to keep your tangents in perspective.Nowhere did I say I would whoop pacquiao if that is who you mean by "him." I said even odds if I recall...I'm sure the quote is nearby. I said I'd whoop any 5ft nothing 115-125 lb'er. From the get go Pacquiao was significantly outside this range.

When I think about this thread or conversation (I have this debate with friends now and then), I try to find grown men that are this small. I can't, this is WAY smaller than any man I have ever met or known... thus the high school girl comparisons, about the best I can do to help people imagine how small this is.

And again, again this thread was not about pacquiao... this was a later addition to the conversation. It is about people this size period, pacquiao just fit the description at the time, but not anymore.

If any of you guys live in Oakland or the Bay Area, I'll take you to my kickboxing gym to meet Coke, a 5'7", 135 lbs. fighter. There's probably some other guys that are about the same size in this gym, although they're not pros like Coke.

The dude is insanely fast and I've seen him spar and fight enough to tell you that he could probably drop a 6'2" 200 lbs man with 1 punch, 1 kick, 1 knee, or 1 elbow. He's no Pacquiao though, as Pac's power is much higher than Coke's. Pacquiao throws some heavy heavy hands for a guy that small. Heaviest I've ever seen in the weight range.

If any of you guys live in Oakland or the Bay Area, I'll take you to my kickboxing gym to meet Coke, a 5'7", 135 lbs. fighter. There's probably some other guys that are about the same size in this gym, although they're not pros like Coke.The dude is insanely fast and I've seen him spar and fight enough to tell you that he could probably drop a 6'2" 200 lbs man with 1 punch, 1 kick, 1 knee, or 1 elbow. He's no Pacquiao though, as Pac's power is much higher than Coke's. Pacquiao throws some heavy heavy hands for a guy that small. Heaviest I've ever seen in the weight range.
I think the OP makes a good point in his recent posts, in that while Coke here is by no means a giant, he's more than trivially larger than the kind of guy we were talking about at first.

BTW, I just watched Pacquiao/Hatton on Youtube. I had almost forgotten how explosive Pac's punches are. That left hand is deadly. Nearly every punch he throws with the left can be a KO as he starts off in a crouch and uncoils through his body, and sometimes leaving his feet as he lands it. It's impressive. Coke aint got nothing on Pac-Man... nothing.

The dude is quick as lightning, even fighting at 140 lbs. He was even quicker when he fought at 125 lbs.

So the question becomes... in a street fight agianst someone as fast and elusive as Pacquiao, could you take him to the ground? It would be like trying to tackle Barry Sanders IMO. He would dance away from you and you wouldn't be able to catch him. Plus, unless you just straight rushed him and he decided to stand his ground without dodging, you'd have to take 1-2 KO-level shots as you went down. Then you'd have to submit/G&P him without letting him up. And, he'd definitely be on his feet faster than you would. You don't want to be on the ground, while he's not, because it would be lights out.

If any of you guys live in Oakland or the Bay Area, I'll take you to my kickboxing gym to meet Coke, a 5'7", 135 lbs. fighter. There's probably some other guys that are about the same size in this gym, although they're not pros like Coke.The dude is insanely fast and I've seen him spar and fight enough to tell you that he could probably drop a 6'2" 200 lbs man with 1 punch, 1 kick, 1 knee, or 1 elbow. He's no Pacquiao though, as Pac's power is much higher than Coke's. Pacquiao throws some heavy heavy hands for a guy that small. Heaviest I've ever seen in the weight range.
I think the OP makes a good point in his recent posts, in that while Coke here is by no means a giant, he's more than trivially larger than the kind of guy we were talking about at first.
You think that 10-15 lbs. and 1-2" would make the difference here?

My 5 year accidentally hit me in the nose and I got watery eyes and couldn't see straight for a second. A professionally trained grown man even 135-lbs has plenty of power.

I'm going all in on the little guy.

BTW, I just watched Pacquiao/Hatton on Youtube. I had almost forgotten how explosive Pac's punches are. That left hand is deadly. Nearly every punch he throws with the left can be a KO as he starts off in a crouch and uncoils through his body, and sometimes leaving his feet as he lands it. It's impressive. Coke aint got nothing on Pac-Man... nothing.

The dude is quick as lightning, even fighting at 140 lbs. He was even quicker when he fought at 125 lbs.

So the question becomes... in a street fight agianst someone as fast and elusive as Pacquiao, could you take him to the ground? It would be like trying to tackle Barry Sanders IMO. He would dance away from you and you wouldn't be able to catch him. Plus, unless you just straight rushed him and he decided to stand his ground without dodging, you'd have to take 1-2 KO-level shots as you went down. Then you'd have to submit/G&P him without letting him up. And, he'd definitely be on his feet faster than you would. You don't want to be on the ground, while he's not, because it would be lights out.
Just like Little Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread