What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (5 Viewers)

It wasn't one of their better episodes.
I disagree. Other than a slow start, it had some great moments in it (Pete/Harry fight. Joan's awkward hug of Dawn, Peggy's smile, Insurance guy, Don having a moment with Bobby, plus him actually opening up to Megan about not wanting kids).

Pete may be a self-absorbed asswipe, but he'll be damned if anyone is going to denigrate MLK. Yeah, okay. :rolleyes:
Not all narcissistic people are sociopaths or detached from reality and incapable of empathy. Didn't find that at all hard to believe.
Don't think it was empathy. Peter was filled with self-loathe after the wife basically said neither she nor the kids needed/wanted him. Peter's over the top indignation was him trying to prove to himself that he is not a monster.

Pete may be a self-absorbed asswipe, but he'll be damned if anyone is going to denigrate MLK. Yeah, okay. :rolleyes:
Not all narcissistic people are sociopaths or detached from reality and incapable of empathy. Didn't find that at all hard to believe.
Don't think it was empathy. Peter was filled with self-loathe after the wife basically said neither she nor the kids needed/wanted him. Peter's over the top indignation was him trying to prove to himself that he is not a monster.
I didn't get that at all. I just think he was emotionally raw, feeling the gravity of what's going on around him, and didn't really have the patience for Harry's idiocy. Pete's a bit of a basket case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get that at all. I just think he was emotionally raw, feeling the gravity of what's going on around him, and didn't really have the patience for Harry's idiocy. Pete's a bit of a basket case.
How was Harry being an idiot?

Because something traumatizing had just happened and he's whining like a child about his ads not getting run.

Because he couldn't see past the almighty dollar to see the larger issue. But I don't think he is a racist as Pete said, I think he is just an idiot

Because something traumatizing had just happened and he's whining like a child about his ads not getting run.
Because he couldn't see past the almighty dollar to see the larger issue. But I don't think he is a racist as Pete said, I think he is just an idiot
That doesn't make him an idiot. It might make him insensitive but not stupid.
Sure it does. Life is bigger than business. If you're (not YOU) so narrow-minded that you think a day of ad revenue on soaps trumps something like that, you are an idiot.

Because he couldn't see past the almighty dollar to see the larger issue. But I don't think he is a racist as Pete said, I think he is just an

idiot
Sure it does. Life is bigger than business. If you're (not YOU) so narrow-minded that you think a day of ad revenue on soaps trumps something like that, you are an idiot.
:shrug: That's his job, man.

Because he couldn't see past the almighty dollar to see the larger issue. But I don't think he is a racist as Pete said, I think he is just a

nidiot
Now you are being an idiot

Because he couldn't see past the almighty dollar to see the larger issue. But I don't think he is a racist as Pete said, I think he is just anidiot
Declaring his petty annoyance that people are more concerned with a national tragedy than a day of his ad revenue is his job? Tone deafness is a symptom of idiocy in this case.

Not sure what's funny about that, but OK.

Think somebody on 9/11 in the office #####ing about his handful of commercials not running. The guy's lucky to not get punched in the mouth.

Harry was on the phone with clients all morning and they wanted their money back for their ads that didn't run because the networks were covering the MLK shooting. Yeah, that's his job and he was talking shop. :shrug:

Even after a tragedy, the trains gotta run, UPS guy's got his route...

Interesting that Abe is the one standing up applauding the vote for McCarthy over RFK and then seeing JFK's photograph hanging in their apartment

What I find interesting is from what i know about the characters id expect Pete to be all about business and Harry to be deeply impacted by the MLK killing.

Not sure why I feel that way, but this seems off to me.

What I find interesting is from what i know about the characters if expect Pete to be all about business and Harry to be deeply impacted by the MLK killing.Not sure why I feel that way, but this seems off to me.
I agree with the folks that said Pete's blowup at Harry wasn't because he was upset at MLK dying. He was upset that Trudy had rebuffed his attempt at reconciliation.

What show have you guys been watching? Pete has been very in tune with the Civil Rights for several seasons now. Harry has always been self-centered.

What show have you guys been watching? Pete has been very in tune with the Civil Rights for several seasons now. Harry has always been self-centered.
Say what? Are you talking about how Pete was trying to figure out a way to sell more TVs to "negroes"?
Not familiar with marketing demographics?
That was where he started, but as he progessed he really came to be in tune with the Civil Rights movement.

Say what? Are you talking about how Pete was trying to figure out a way to sell more TVs to "negroes"?
That was where he started, but as he progessed he really came to be in tune with the Civil Rights movement.
:lmao: Really? Could you give me an example of this before MLK's death?

Speaking of Peggy and babies, does her mother have the love child or was it given up for adoption? We haven't touched on that subject for several seasons now it seems.

I don't have an example or exact quote, but I know Campbell has said things before about segregation and equal rights that makes me tend to agree with FlapJacks.

I don't have an example or exact quote, but I know Campbell has said things before about segregation and equal rights that makes me tend to agree with FlapJacks.
Terrific.

from wikipedia:

It is hinted at several times in the show that Pete is supportive of civil rights. In "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword", when Bert asks why Black Americans are still pushing for rights, Pete quips "Because Lassie can stay at the Waldorf and they (the blacks) can't." In "My Old Kentycky Home", he is the only besides Don and Ms. Smith who are uncomfortable with Roger's blackface. In "The Fog", he doesn't understand the problem with "the negro market", ad informs Hollis, the black elevator operator, that he is not a bigot.

from wikipedia:

It is hinted at several times in the show that Pete is supportive of civil rights. In "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword", when Bert asks why Black Americans are still pushing for rights, Pete quips "Because Lassie can stay at the Waldorf and they (the blacks) can't." In "My Old Kentycky Home", he is the only besides Don and Ms. Smith who are uncomfortable with Roger's blackface. In "The Fog", he doesn't understand the problem with "the negro market", ad informs Hollis, the black elevator operator, that he is not a bigot.
OK, I went back and looked at the original statement that caught my eye. It was said that Pete is "in tune" with the Civil Rights movement. Now if we take that to mean that Pete knows what is going on in the movement I can agree to that.

But I still will not concede that Pete is the office liberal or that his tirade against Harry was motivated by a genuine sense of racial equality.

As far as what you cited above:

Pete knowing why blacks are pushing for change does not mean he agrees. I'm sure there were others that were uncomforable with Roger's blackface routine...but were smart enough not to show their real emotions since Roger is their boss/friend. And Pete telling Hollis "I'm not a bigot" shows that he's not a bigot? Wow.

I've always had the impression that Pete was genuine with the feelings he expressed on race. I don't think that's in conflict with his many flaws.

That isn't to say that his blow-up at Harry wasn't more about his own life's frustrations that anything else.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
FlapJacks said:
PlasmaDogPlasma said:
from wikipedia:

OK, I went back and looked at the original statement that caught my eye. It was said that Pete is "in tune" with the Civil Rights movement. Now if we take that to mean that Pete knows what is going on in the movement I can agree to that.

But I still will not concede that Pete is the office liberal or that his tirade against Harry was motivated by a genuine sense of racial equality.

As far as what you cited above:

Pete knowing why blacks are pushing for change does not mean he agrees. I'm sure there were others that were uncomforable with Roger's blackface routine...but were smart enough not to show their real emotions since Roger is their boss/friend. And Pete telling Hollis "I'm not a bigot" shows that he's not a bigot? Wow.
I think Pete considers himself to be an enlightened liberal, but he isn't really. Pete isn't comfortable in his own skin, period. Everything he says and does is him trying too hard to be something he may or may not actually be.

Thought last week was pretty WEAK overall.

Pete and Harry are both a-holes. Pete has more depth to his character than Harry does however.

Users who are viewing this thread