What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Staff vs Message Board (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
I know some of you will be taking part in the NFFC draft this weekend. To coincide with that event, we are going to have a staff/message board challenge to help facilitate discussion leading into the event. The NFFC has implemented their version of third round reversal (1-14, 14-1, 14-1, 1-14, 14-1, 1-14, etc) as well as KDS (ability to list draft slots you would prefer in order).

NFFC Home Page

Kentucky Derby Seeding (KDS)

Scoring Rules

Here is how we will run this: Using MFL, we will draft this Wednesday at 9pm ET. 7 staffers and 7 message board people will play. This will play out as a best ball format where everyone plays the other 13 teams each week. There will be no roster moves or trades. The draft will be expanded to 22 rounds though to provide the added flexibility.

There will be no writing owed by this competition per say, but we would like all the drafters to discuss their strategies on the message board after the draft.

We are most interested in these things:

- The KDS sequence you chose and why?

- Best approach to win this win this contest

- Players you targeted because of the NFFC specific rules.

How to enter: Just put your name and the reason you should be selected in this thread. I will choose the team at 8:00 am PT Tuesday morning. People selected will then get the full rules (same as NFFC above) and the link on MFL to draft.

If this Wednesday is a bad time, we will have one more of these that simulates the WCOFF on Tuesday the 4th.

Drafts will be posted 30 minutes after the completion of the draft for maximum discussion. Hopefully these events will yield good ADP #'s for FBG participants.....

Judging:

Scoring of the 14 teams will be 10 for 1st, 8 for 2nd, 6 for 3rd, 4 for 4th, 2 for 5th and 1 point for 6th. 31 points total are possible. It takes 16 points or more to win the contest. If the MB wins, we will give all participants a three-year subscription. If the MB chokes like they did last year, well you guys get nada.....

------------------------

How to enter: post in this thread just once and state your case. Also list the sequence you prefer.

For Example:

David Dodds - I am the MAN so choose me.

1, 10, 2, 8, 6, 3, 12, 13, 14, 7, 9, 11, 5, 4

-------------------------

Good luck everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Case: I'm a much different drafter than most people. I vary my strategy based on the other owners, who's available, and who's most likely to be taken, rather than using simple VBD and ADP. You'll most likely get a guy like me in WCOFF: They'll either win the league or completely outthink themselves along the way.

Preference: 1, 2, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 8, 9, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3

I should be selected because, like George Washington, I'm twelve stories high and made of radiation.

The present beware, the future beware. He's coming. He's coming.

Preference: 1,2,3,14,13,12,4,5,6,11,10,9,7,8

Count me in... I'm a vet in the FFA's Varsity League and have finished well pretty much every season. I'm also fresh off a fairly competitive ($250 buy-in) 16-team 18-round draft so I'm familiar with deeper leagues and how to draft accordingly. This was a league where guys were able to keep studs like LJ in the 6th and SA in the 5th I inherited a horrible squad (1 keeper - Portis in the 1st) and was able to land a 3rd place finish. I also provide a "common man" element as while I'm a long time regular of this site... I'm not one of the more recognized "big guns" in the Shark Pool.

PREFERENCE: 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 4, 3

CASE: I've played in a 16-team redraft league for 15 years now, and like icon I'm used to large league sizes. I'm mostly a lurker on the MB (in terms of number of posts vs. length of time on the board), so you have no idea of my tendencies and cannot gameplan against me. I'm good for the league as I would be a fresh face. Plus, my wife and kids will still love me even if I stink on toast. :P

PREFERENCE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6

OK, 2 years ago I got selected to be in such a draft and got cheesed by the draft date. A last minute obligation for work which could not be avoided forced me to draft my team through my girlfriend by phone at the Yankees/Devil Rays game.

Last year, I was selected again, but got relegated to writing-only duty. The league I was supposed to cover never warranted a write-up though, so I basically got to be the only schmuck who didn't get to play.

After winning MBSL2 last year and finishing top-4 in the SSL as well, I think my drafting chops are well established here. My writing chops are out there for all to see, no need to toot my own horn. I want a chance to draft this year. "I think you should give it to me." - Vincent LaGuardia Gambini.

1, 2, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

I've got nothing that anyone else here doesn't have as far as FF acumen. But hey, you have to start somewhere.

14, 1, 2, 13, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Does this get done all in one evening? Must be pretty rapid fire if so.
Hello? Is this thing on? :unsure:
It's a pretty reasonable assumption that this will be a live draft with approx 2 minute timer.
I wouldn't mind participating. I've played FFB for almost 20 years now and have won a few championships. Don't know what else to say that won't engender the "Well yeah, but who did you play with" response. Every now and then, I say something pretty funny.My preferred draft order:1, 2, 3, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4Obviously, I'd prefer to be at the top or the bottom of the order...but who wouldn't?

Case: I have been playing fantasy football for about 15 years now (harkening back to the days of sitting in the halls of my high school with the Tuesday USA Today scouring box scores and entering scoring by hand into the ledger boook I had for all the fantasy leagues I commished) and have participated in just about every permutation of league you can imagine (auction, 12 teamers to 16 teamers, ppr, survivor, etc etc etc). I have also been w/FBGs since way back in the cheatsheets.net days, but have never had the opportunity to participate in one of these staff/message board throw downs. I would love the opportunity to do so. I also have some NFFC rules experience, having been in a league that utilized their scoring and lineup setups last year. And finally, although writing may not be required here, I love the post draft analysis phase of any draft I am in, and commit to full participation in this phase, both as an aid to those NFFCers who may be looking for some pre-draft info, and also because discussing these types of draft strategies is helpful no matter what type of league you are in

Preferred Order: 1,2,7,10,14,13,3,4,12,5,6,8,9,11

I would like to be considered because it will give other members of this board a chance to knock me off my high horse. A lot of long time FBG's know me well (or know how I can stir things up a bit). Being in this type of contest will finally give those members a chance to shut me up or it will give me a chance to prove what I have always known....that I am the greatest fantasy football player that ever walked this earth! If I don't get picked, it will just go to show me and prove to the rest of the community that you truly do believe that I am a freakish talent in the fantasy football arena and that you wouldn't dare match wits with the Mr. Fantastic of Fantasy Football.

Being a horse betting man, the KDS style is right up my alley. I have hit the trifecta a number of times on the Derby and hopefully will be able to hit a home run here!

My lucky powerball numbers are:

1, 2, 3, 8, 6, 4, 5, 9, 7, 11, 10, 13, 12, 14

I use statistical methods and probability theory to draft players. Names and teams are meaningless to me. I only care about the beauty of numbers. Pick me and you will get the Chris Ferguson of fantasy football drafting.

Preferred Sequence: 1, 14, 2, 13, 3, 12, 7, 9, 10, 11, 8, 6, 4, 5

I would love to be considered for a MB player. I feel that sometimes I find myself second guessing the FBG powers that be of this board and sometimes I feel we are right on the same page. The one thing I do know is that I would love to know how I stack up with the FBG "powers that be". You guys are always a great help and have turned Fantasy Football into an obsession for me. I have been playing FF for about 6 years and would love the chance to prove my worth here.

Prefer: 1,2,3,4,5,14,13,6,7,8,9,10,11,12

:come get some:

Case: I always field a strong team in these type of competitions and have been in the finals on several occasions. I've already drafted in 4 sixteen team leagues this year so I won't be caught by surprise. I won't use "my girl friend drafted for me" as an excuse for a poor draft. I won't draft the 6th string WR on the Jets or Detriot D in the 4th round. Most importantly, I don't take forever to draft so the staff members in this competition won't have to stay up until 3 am on my account.

1 2 9 10 8 7 6 11 12 5 13 4 3 14

I am also adding that I guarantee that I will finish ahead of EITHER Dodds or LHUCKS (if he is selected). :blackdot:

I'd love to be considered for one of the MB slots; been playing in a 14-teamer that has been around since 1985 with some of the best drafters I've ever seen, I truly feel I can draft with anyone after having played with these guys (Ive been in it since 01); have also been a FBG subscriber since day 1 (even when you guys were free..). I have to say that you guys are the reason I am competitive in all my leagues year in and year out. I feel I'd bring a lot to this draft.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Case: I have been playing FF for 17 years. WCOFF the last 3 years. Won my division 2 year ago and 2nd last year. I play in a 32 team, 40 man dynasty league, along with 4 other local 12 team IDP leagues. I have done a fantasy football question and answer session for a different website for the last 5 years. I'm ready to prove that I can hang with the so-called 'best'.

Preferred draft order: Doesn't really matter, as I do not think draft order makes or breaks a team. However, if I have to chose: 5,6,4,7,8,2,1,10,11,12,3,13,14,9

Thanks for the consideration.

- GM

I would like to be considerred.

I am a member of PFWA and FSWA. I have an impeccable redraft record including the highest winning percentage in the experts league FFWebmasters' history. I've been a guest on theScore and ESPNRadio. I've worked for StatsInc. I....well I've been coming here since day 1, been a member a llllong time, and I hope you guys know me by now.

ETA I don't care where I pick but....

I represented the Message Board last year for the first time and well, I finished First out of all MB members. (2nd overall) I'd be glad to join this OR the WCOFF contest either one since I'm in both this year.

Resume is short for this discussion:

2 WCOFF League Titles 2003, 2005

FBG Fix League Title 2006

FBG Reunion League 2nd 2006

I'm also happy to let new blood join the contests as I think that's good for the site too.

Good luck Staffers.. You'll need it. Our team learned from our mistakes last year. Letting the Julius Jones owner back him up with Marion Barber won't happen again.

1,2,3,11,10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 12, 13, 14

CASE: Been playing FF for over 10 years in a variety of leagues and scoring systems, so can adjust to what's happening as the draft rolls. Participated in the Staff/MB last year and have participated the last few years in a variety of 16-team Survivors on this site, so I know the deal and can make the picks in a timely fashion. Interested in commenting on how and why certain picks/strategies were made to hopefully help get guys ready for the draft on Saturday.

PREFERRED ORDER: 1, 2, 3, 7, 6, 5, 4, 14, 13, 12, 8, 9, 10, 11

Been playing FF since 1989...

Already beating most of your staff in a league I compete against them last 2 years in the Gamebreakers Dynasty league (2nd place finish last year)

My partner and I who team together in 5 leagues are more than ready for the challenge...

We would love to participate. We will take any draft pick.

However since you are asking for preference our order would be:

1, 2, 5, 4, 3, 9, 8, 7, 6, 10, 11, 14, 13, 12

case: Have been playing FF for 10 years, about 6 with FBG's. I am a veteran of all draft formats. I have participated in FBG Survivors (MBSL SSL, etc) for the past 5 years and have done well. I also play in highly competitive leagues such as No Mercy and the BCCDL with Unlucky and NittanyLion among others. I always write commentary on my draft, teams, and others drafts and teams.

lets get some new blood on the MB side of the ball.

preferred draft order:

1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 4, 5, 6, 10, 14, 13, 12, 11

thanks for your consideration

BassNBrew said:
I won't use "my girl friend drafted for me" as an excuse for a poor draft.
:blackdot:You never miss a chance, do you, you SOB?What's your excuse for getting clobbered by me in both the SSL and MBSL last year? :coffee:

[icon] said:
I am also adding that I guarantee that I will finish ahead of EITHER Dodds or LHUCKS (if he is selected). :banned:
:lmao: Don't write checks your body can't cash gb.
$50 on the side? :lmao:And :lmao: at "body can't cash".... you've got a chance at fantasy football but if we wantt to bring physical stature into this I'll go ahead and guarantee that your chances are roughly equivalent to the PAC10 sending more than one team to a BCS bowl. :yes:

[icon] said:
I am also adding that I guarantee that I will finish ahead of EITHER Dodds or LHUCKS (if he is selected). :banned:
$50 on the side? :popcorn:And :lmao: at "body can't cash".... you've got a chance at fantasy football but if we wantt to bring physical stature into this I'll go ahead and guarantee that your chances are roughly equivalent to the PAC10 sending more than one team to a BCS bowl. :yes:
Haven't seen Top Gun lately?

[icon] said:
I am also adding that I guarantee that I will finish ahead of EITHER Dodds or LHUCKS (if he is selected). :lmao:
$50 on the side? :popcorn:And :yes: at "body can't cash".... you've got a chance at fantasy football but if we wantt to bring physical stature into this I'll go ahead and guarantee that your chances are roughly equivalent to the PAC10 sending more than one team to a BCS bowl. :yes:
Haven't seen Top Gun lately?
Oh I have.. just found it an interesting choice of words.... regardless... if I'm so seriously outclassed I'm SURE Shucks will take my offer for a litle side action :banned:

I'll throw my hat in the ring here. Been a long time member of the board but never tried to get into one of these contests as I'm usually too busy around this time of year. That said, Wednesday night works out well for me so I'd love to participate here. Also, I've dropped my big money online leagues this year due to time constraints during the year so a no-roster move league like this is perfect.

Like everyone else here I have been playing FF for years and done very well at it; a good amount of that is due to FBG tools and resources. My greatest skill in drafting is probably my ability to adjust to what others are doing in the draft and take advantage of their tendencies and this will be quite a challenge.

At the end of the day, I know what I'm doing, I will be very competitive in the league and am more than happy to share my thoughts and strategy on this board as described above.

It's time for some new blood in these competitions

ETA: Draft Spot Preference: 9,10,11,12,13,14,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Name:

BusMan

Reason:

I'm probably speaking out of turn here, but it seems like these Staff v. MB leagues always include the usual suspect of three-digiters. Technically I'm not staff (I blog and recap), and I'm not much of a presence on the forums (although I have been chiming in more frequently lately), so I can understand why you might pass on me. But I'm interested, increasingly involved, and unknown. Throw in my odd state of limbo between the Staff and MB (I've been drawing checks from FBGs for going on my third year now), and I'm downright intriguing. Plus, I'm the only MBer from the 434.

KDS Preference:

1, 2, 3, 7, 14, 4, 13, 5, 12, 6, 11, 8, 10, 9

Thanks for the opportunity, if nothing else. :thumbup:

Here are the selections (listed in alphabetical order):

Bri

Busman

ceo3west

Gridiron Menace

Soaring Eagle

Tremendous Upside

Warehouse Nasty

Please PM me your email addresses so that I can mail you further details. For those not selected, we will have one more of the competitions using the WCOFF format. Draft will be next week (Tuesday night). Post for consideration will start on Thursday.

Here are the selections (listed in alphabetical order):BriBusmanceo3westGridiron MenaceSoaring EagleTremendous UpsideWarehouse NastyPlease PM me your email addresses so that I can mail you further details. For those not selected, we will have one more of the competitions using the WCOFF format. Draft will be next week (Tuesday night). Post for consideration will start on Thursday.
:thumbup:If I had a subscription, I'd cancel it. :lmao:

I am participating in the NFFC Main Event as well as the $650 Draft Champions (similar to this format).

I will add a world of experience to this event having already drafted several teams using 3RR/KDS.

My KDS:

I am participating in the NFFC Main Event as well as the $650 Draft Champions (similar to this format).I will add a world of experience to this event having already drafted several teams using 3RR/KDS.My KDS:1,2,13,14,5,4,3,12,11,10,6,7,8,9
:porked: :football:

Here are the selections (listed in alphabetical order):BriBusmanceo3westGridiron MenaceSoaring EagleTremendous UpsideWarehouse NastyPlease PM me your email addresses so that I can mail you further details. For those not selected, we will have one more of the competitions using the WCOFF format. Draft will be next week (Tuesday night). Post for consideration will start on Thursday.
:chicken: :thumbdown:

:chicken: :lmao:
EXACTLY! Dodds doesn't want anyone who knows more than him in any contest that he is a part of.

:chicken: :lmao:
David Dodds: Proving Icon's sig to be true since 2007.

:goodposting:If I had a subscription, I'd cancel it. :bowtie:
first time selected since day 1 Thanks DD, hang in there Andy

Users who are viewing this thread