What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (2 Viewers)

After reading this thread about 20 times, I finally my first batch of this last night. I only tried one small bowl because I was making it to serve today -- but wow, it is legendary!

I had to make some adjustment on the original recipe. I didn't have any whiskey (crazy for somebody from Kentucky). I thought I had some but it must have been consumed at the last get-together. I added a little extra bakers chocolate instead. I also had an overload of home-grown cayennes, so I added a few to the mix since some folks said this recipe was a little on the mild side. My batch is far from mild, almost to the point of being too hot, but I like it spicy.

My batch is also much thicker than what I was expecting, so I think I will have to add some beer when reheating.

Overall a great recipe! It took a little more work in the beginning, but nothing difficult at all and well worth it in the end.

Thanks Judge!
You might not. Mine always seems a bit "runnier" when reheating the 2nd day.
I was actually trying to come up with a way to eliminate this problem.I was thinking possibly more paste/less beef stock. Or perhaps I will try adding some honey/molasses, I want to try a sweeter version.
I use grape jelly to get the sweetness. Its money. A small jar to a decent size stock pot of chili. Gets it just sweet enough but not so much that it is obnoxious.

making another batch of this tonight or tomorrow night for a chili cookoff during the Buckeyes game on Saturday night.i have made it a couple times before, but always to the recipe... thinking about branching out a bit this timeis the general reco to do 3 lbs stew meat and 3 lbs pork sausage?
I haven't tried this particular recipe, but just made one that is very similar in the basics and quantities. I use a 2:1 beef:pork ratio, but the important ratio for the chili overall is meat to other stuff ratio, IMO.

Just put the poblano(ancho) chilies in beer on the stove. Will report back, most likely pretty drunk from beer and Jack left over, with progress/success.
How did this come out with anchos instead of New Mexicos? I'm thinking of bringing some into the mix, mostly because I have them lying around.A couple unanswered questions from the thread:Kenny Powers: Stew meat is random chunks of beef from the tougher parts of the cow like the shoulder I think- the idea is you're gonna cook it a long time in liquid, so the toughness will cook away. It's usually prepacked at the butcher counter in packs of a pound or so, comprised of pieces about this big: _____________________/ // // // // //____________________/ If my pieces were that big I personally like to cut them in quarters or so at least before starting.Guster: I personally like 3 lbs beef, 3 lbs ground pork, but I can see the allure of the 5/1 Smails ratio. As with the size of the beef chunks, it's totally your call. Anything's gonna be delicious. This is part of the beauty of the Smails recipe.ETA: I can't get the formatting right. You get the idea. About 1.5 inches by 1 inch.
This is pretty awesome.

TobiasFunke said:
Just put the poblano(ancho) chilies in beer on the stove. Will report back, most likely pretty drunk from beer and Jack left over, with progress/success.
How did this come out with anchos instead of New Mexicos? I'm thinking of bringing some into the mix, mostly because I have them lying around.A couple unanswered questions from the thread:Kenny Powers: Stew meat is random chunks of beef from the tougher parts of the cow like the shoulder I think- the idea is you're gonna cook it a long time in liquid, so the toughness will cook away. It's usually prepacked at the butcher counter in packs of a pound or so, comprised of pieces about this big: _____________________/ // // // // //____________________/ If my pieces were that big I personally like to cut them in quarters or so at least before starting.Guster: I personally like 3 lbs beef, 3 lbs ground pork, but I can see the allure of the 5/1 Smails ratio. As with the size of the beef chunks, it's totally your call. Anything's gonna be delicious. This is part of the beauty of the Smails recipe.ETA: I can't get the formatting right. You get the idea. About 1.5 inches by 1 inch.
Just got back from Kroger - got 3 lbs of flank steak cut into ~0.5" cubes and 3 lbs of hot pork sausageI don't have time to make this tomorrow night - I have other plans... I'll be making it tonight to serve Saturday night. Any tips on how to reheat it on Saturday?

TobiasFunke said:
Just got back from Kroger - got 3 lbs of flank steak cut into ~0.5" cubes and 3 lbs of hot pork sausageI don't have time to make this tomorrow night - I have other plans... I'll be making it tonight to serve Saturday night. Any tips on how to reheat it on Saturday?
Croclpot + enough beer to get the consistency you want. Start off with a 1/2 bottle, then go from there.

made chili last night and wanted to add a bay leaf and the wife and my mom said not too...last time i listen to a woman about chili

Making this chili right now and it smells amazing. Anyway I am at the simmer stage before adding the beans right now. I 'd like to know once the 90 minutes are up and I finish the beans part can I continue to simmer the chili for the rest of the afternoon? Would it be better to just put it in the fridge until about an hour before dinner and then reheat? I've always thought the longer you have to simmer and let the ingredients really mix the better. Thanks!

Making this chili right now and it smells amazing. Anyway I am at the simmer stage before adding the beans right now. I 'd like to know once the 90 minutes are up and I finish the beans part can I continue to simmer the chili for the rest of the afternoon? Would it be better to just put it in the fridge until about an hour before dinner and then reheat? I've always thought the longer you have to simmer and let the ingredients really mix the better. Thanks!
I'm making this tomorrow, and this reminds me of a question - when exactly do you put the beans in?

I'm making this tomorrow, and this reminds me of a question - when exactly do you put the beans in?
There is a 90 minute simmer stage that has all of the other ingredients right before adding the beans...

TobiasFunke said:
Croclpot + enough beer to get the consistency you want. Start off with a 1/2 bottle, then go from there.
I put the same pot I cooked it in back on the stove on low/simmer. And as has been discussed here, no additional liquid is added. It gets pretty runny on it's own.Not sure if using the crock pot would be any different for any reason. I can't think of why it would be. So, I would personally not add any beer. It will be very thick when you start warming it up, but it will become runnier as it warms up.

There is a 90 minute simmer stage that has all of the other ingredients right before adding the beans...
then how much longer with the beans?

30 more minutes

30 more minutes
30 minutes is long enough for dry beans? Or are we talking canned beans?

I'm planning on making this Friday night for a Saturday gathering. I went through this entire thread with a fine tooth comb gathering questions, feedback, suggestions on making it better, etc. Below is the original recipe with changes in bold based on this thread compilation that I'll be cooking up this week. Lookin' forward to tasting the end result!

---------------------

Prepare the day prior to serving (better melding of flavor the day after)

When reheat the day after pour ½ bottle-full bottle of amber beer to unthicken a bit.

8 qt pot or larger is needed.

30 min. prep time. 2 hour cook time.

-------------------------------

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

1.5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

3 pounds of medium-spicy pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased. (or if like it spicier, 2lbs spicy pork sausage and 1lb chorizo sausage)

3 large onions chopped (make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down)

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) – Anaheim or Pablano, any large mild chile works fine (shortcut is to use ½ cup of chili powder instead of chilies)

1 regular sized can of tomato paste

1 regular sized can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper (if like more spice, use more. Can also add to personal bowl after done cooking)

2 tsp oregano

2 tablespoons of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

3 bottles of amber beer (use 2 bottles in initial cook. Use add’l 1 bottle for when reheating the day after)

1 shot of Jack Daniels (Jim Beam also works)

1 ounce baker’s chocolate

Green onion for garnish

Shredded cheese for garnish

Directions:

Rehydrate the chilis in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then puree the chilis. (use a blender to puree the chilis). Set aside.

[A short cut is to use ½ cup chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s]

In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of amber beer, Jack Daniels, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering)

Garnish with green onion and cheese.
:goodposting:

Hi Nigel,Easy answer on when to put the beans in for real chili: Never If you're making bean soup with chili flavoring, put them in at the end... ;)J

Made chili today.

My normal recipe is close to Judge's here. I use way more chiles (about 8-10) and way more garlic (a whole head) and I add 1 ounce of bakers chocolate. And for Texas chili, I use Shiner Bock beer. But basic idea is the same.

Good stuff.

J

I'll level with you.

I only tried my local Market Basket, and haven't tried anywhere else. Wasn't sure if they were lame or if I had to go to a specialty store.

I made this yesterday. Made a few changes, probably my favorite yet.

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

5 3 pounds of stew meat

1 pound of spicy pork sausage

1 2 pounds of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

A bunch of chili pods, the bag I had the pods are very small

1 small can of tomato paste

1 can of tomato soup sauce

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz10 oz of beef broth

3 TBSP Molasses

1 oz bakers chocolate

36 oz of good amber beer (I used Wachusett Quinn's Amber)

1 shot of Jack Daniels

34 oz of dark red kidney beans

Hi Nigel,Easy answer on when to put the beans in for real chili: Never If you're making bean soup with chili flavoring, put them in at the end... :thumbup:J
I made two batches for a party Saturday night - one hot and one mild. They turned out great, but I got somewhat frustrated at having to continually answer the question, "where are the beans?" Several times I heard the comment, "its not really chili, just kind of a meat sauce" ( :goodposting: ) Lots of compliments and I loved the result, but my chili-ignorant guests were getting on my nerves a bit by the end of the night.

I made this last night. I found it too heavy for my taste. The flavor was great, but a small bowl sat in my stomach like wallpaper paste for the rest of the night.

Hi Nigel,Easy answer on when to put the beans in for real chili: Never If you're making bean soup with chili flavoring, put them in at the end... ;)J
I made two batches for a party Saturday night - one hot and one mild. They turned out great, but I got somewhat frustrated at having to continually answer the question, "where are the beans?" Several times I heard the comment, "its not really chili, just kind of a meat sauce" ( :lmao: ) Lots of compliments and I loved the result, but my chili-ignorant guests were getting on my nerves a bit by the end of the night.
It does depend on how far you are from Texas I guess.But educating these folks can be a good thing, CM.J

I also made this yesterday. I went with 3lbs stew beef, 1lb pork sausage and about 3/4 pound andouile. I couldn't find New Mexico chiles so I went with what were labeled Ancho although I'm not sure that's what they were. Three comments:

1) Half hour prep my ###. Took me a little over an hour in my tiny Brooklyn kitchen.

2) The stew beef did not have enough cook time to soften up on a same day cook and eat. The beef was too chewy even in sugar cube size bites.

3) It was a little too spicy. And I like some spicy. That's why I think the Ancho chiles were incorrectly labeled. It wasn't a lingering heat, but very hot on the tongue.

Those three things aside it is very good chili and I have two large containers left over in the freezer. I'm going to keep my eyes open for some New Mexico chiles and I'll make another pass at it in a few weeks. I may try the try tip as a stew beef replacement as well.

OK, we shall see..... MY first try is sitting on the stove.......

I cut the meat into small chunks, but I think I should have cut it even smaller.

The only thing it is missing is a quality beer. (all I have in the fridge atm is Miller lite cans) Going to head out now and add it when I get back.

???

Did you guys cut/mash up the sausages? I cut 3 (of 5) and left the other two so they cut later.

OK, we shall see..... MY first try is sitting on the stove.......I cut the meat into small chunks, but I think I should have cut it even smaller. The only thing it is missing is a quality beer. (all I have in the fridge atm is Miller lite cans) Going to head out now and add it when I get back. ???Did you guys cut/mash up the sausages? I cut 3 (of 5) and left the other two so they cut later.
You probably want to remove the sausage from the casings and mash it up.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
OK, we shall see..... MY first try is sitting on the stove.......I cut the meat into small chunks, but I think I should have cut it even smaller. The only thing it is missing is a quality beer. (all I have in the fridge atm is Miller lite cans) Going to head out now and add it when I get back. ???Did you guys cut/mash up the sausages? I cut 3 (of 5) and left the other two so they cut later.
That's the right move not to skimp on the beer. It's an important part.J

I tried this this past Sunday.

It was different but I liked it !

I'll be making this again :thumbup:

I cut the recipe down to about 60% as I was only cooking for two.

I did keep it covered while cooking and it was kind of soupy. After a night in the fridge, it thickened up perfectly.

It is way different than what I normally do!

I'm planning on making this Friday night for a Saturday gathering. I went through this entire thread with a fine tooth comb gathering questions, feedback, suggestions on making it better, etc. Below is the original recipe with changes in bold based on this thread compilation that I'll be cooking up this week. Lookin' forward to tasting the end result!

---------------------

Prepare the day prior to serving (better melding of flavor the day after)

When reheat the day after pour ½ bottle-full bottle of amber beer to unthicken a bit.

8 qt pot or larger is needed.

30 min. prep time. 2 hour cook time.

-------------------------------

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

1.5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

3 pounds of medium-spicy pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased. (or if like it spicier, 2lbs spicy pork sausage and 1lb chorizo sausage)

3 large onions chopped (make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down)

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) – Anaheim or Pablano, any large mild chile works fine (shortcut is to use ½ cup of chili powder instead of chilies)

1 regular sized can of tomato paste

1 regular sized can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper (if like more spice, use more. Can also add to personal bowl after done cooking)

2 tsp oregano

2 tablespoons of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

3 bottles of amber beer (use 2 bottles in initial cook. Use add’l 1 bottle for when reheating the day after)

1 shot of Jack Daniels (Jim Beam also works)

1 ounce baker’s chocolate

Green onion for garnish

Shredded cheese for garnish

Directions:

Rehydrate the chilis in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then puree the chilis. (use a blender to puree the chilis). Set aside.

[A short cut is to use ½ cup chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s]

In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of amber beer, Jack Daniels, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering)

Garnish with green onion and cheese.
Okay, I'm finally going to give this a try this weekend. Planning on Saturday, so I won't be able to let it sit all night. Looks like Offdee culled the various suggestions/modifications in the thread into the recipe above. A few questions:1) Chiles - I don't think they sell the dried chiles at our local supermarket. Are Anaheim and Poblano fine? Another catch, though - we don't have a blender. Do the chiles definitely need to be pureed?

2) Beer - since I will be preparing this the day of, should I use 3 bottles in the cooking, or just two? I assume I should use 2/3 of the same bottles, not mix and match beers?

I tried this this past Sunday.It was different but I liked it !I'll be making this again :moneybag: I cut the recipe down to about 60% as I was only cooking for two.I did keep it covered while cooking and it was kind of soupy. After a night in the fridge, it thickened up perfectly.It is way different than what I normally do!
How much did it make for you?I am only cooking for two as well, but I would like some leftovers to freeze and serve as a quick reheat dinner later on.

1) Chiles - I don't think they sell the dried chiles at our local supermarket. Are Anaheim and Poblano fine? Another catch, though - we don't have a blender. Do the chiles definitely need to be pureed?2) Beer - since I will be preparing this the day of, should I use 3 bottles in the cooking, or just two? I assume I should use 2/3 of the same bottles, not mix and match beers?
1) See my notes in bold after the chiles. Just dice them up as fine as you can and I'm sure they'll be good to go.2) Use the same beer. Start with two and then when you want to eat check out the consistency....if you'd like it soupier just add more beer and stir it in.

1) Chiles - I don't think they sell the dried chiles at our local supermarket. Are Anaheim and Poblano fine? Another catch, though - we don't have a blender. Do the chiles definitely need to be pureed?2) Beer - since I will be preparing this the day of, should I use 3 bottles in the cooking, or just two? I assume I should use 2/3 of the same bottles, not mix and match beers?
1) See my notes in bold after the chiles. Just dice them up as fine as you can and I'm sure they'll be good to go.2) Use the same beer. Start with two and then when you want to eat check out the consistency....if you'd like it soupier just add more beer and stir it in.
Just found your post, thanks. I'm sure I can find some of those peppers in the store.As for the beer, I have 2 bottles of Newcastle lying around that I could use for this. Otherwise, I'm not sure I want to use the other bottles that I have here for the cooking (beer snob :popcorn: ). I will probably just do that as I'd prefer it to be somewhat thick anyway.For the chocolate, we have some semi-sweet baker's chocolate lying around - looks like that's what you used?

For the chocolate, we have some semi-sweet baker's chocolate lying around - looks like that's what you used?
That'll work.
FWIW, I'm gonna make my second batch sometime soon and plan to skip the Baker's Chocolate. It was a bit too sweet for me last time and believe the chocolate might've been the culprit. I like a little more hotness to my chili than sweetness so plan to use 1lb of Chorizo sausage (w/2lbs spicy pork sausage and 1.5lbs stew meat) and 1.5 tsp of cayenne pepper.I'm hoping that perfects it for me.

Let me ask you guys something, and I have a feeling it will get flamed as sacrelige, but is there any upside to adding some elbow macaroni type noodles to this concoction?

Last time I made it, the taste was very good, but after half a bowl almost felt too rich for me....I'm wondering if adding in some noodles would balance the spoonfuls out a bit.

As for the beer, I have 2 bottles of Newcastle lying around that I could use for this. Otherwise, I'm not sure I want to use the other bottles that I have here for the cooking (beer snob :thumbup: ). I will probably just do that as I'd prefer it to be somewhat thick anyway.
You'll have to follow all the directions, but just want to make sure you're aware of the beer situation.- 1 bottle is to rehydrate the chili pods.....after done you strain out this beer (don't put it into the chili)- 1 bottle is actually added to the chili- 1 bottle is to use if needed to unthicken on reheatingSo, technically you could probably use some crappier beer to rehydrate the chilis and just use 1 good bottle of amber for the actual chili cooking.

Let me ask you guys something, and I have a feeling it will get flamed as sacrelige, but is there any upside to adding some elbow macaroni type noodles to this concoction?Last time I made it, the taste was very good, but after half a bowl almost felt too rich for me....I'm wondering if adding in some noodles would balance the spoonfuls out a bit.
I wouldn't but if that's what you like go for it. I know Joe's a purist, with meat only chili, but I do like some beans to mix up the flavor/texture. It's what you like. I would never add chocolate, others would. If you and your guests like it it's all good.

By the way, doing my annual Breeder's Cup/Poker extravaganza tomorrow night. I'll be hosting a Mexican Feast before we throw the shingles. Taco bar - handmade fresh tortillas, all the fixins, carne asada, chicken and a carnitas recipe I saw on Diner's Drive In's and Dives that looked spectacular. If it's as good as I think it is, you may see another Legendary recipe post. Have 2 whole Boston Butt Shoulders on the ready.

Users who are viewing this thread