Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Tiger Fan

***Official New Orleans Thread***

As I already mentioned I got Mrs ref a long weekend to NO next month for Christmas.

Went to the grocery store last night.  Picked up some hurricane mixer.  A uncle bens jambalaya starter kit.  A Beignets mix package.  Some Cajun hot sauce.   I’m also going to take the mug we got from cafe Du Monde wrap all this stuff up and throw it in a box with an envelope at the bottom with the details of the trip.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 8:24 PM, The Ref said:

As I already mentioned I got Mrs ref a long weekend to NO next month for Christmas.

Went to the grocery store last night.  Picked up some hurricane mixer.  A uncle bens jambalaya starter kit.  A Beignets mix package.  Some Cajun hot sauce.   I’m also going to take the mug we got from cafe Du Monde wrap all this stuff up and throw it in a box with an envelope at the bottom with the details of the trip.

no tickets to the NFC championship game?

• Love 1

On 12/17/2018 at 9:24 PM, The Ref said:

Zatarains or Louisiana Fish Fry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

no tickets to the NFC championship game?

“Let’s just say” I might get myself a post Christmas present

2 hours ago, ffldrew said:

Zatarains or Louisiana Fish Fry

Sounds good - but I hope to go there and have it made fresh by people who know what they are doing..... these are just props.

2 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Sounds good - but I hope to go there and have it made fresh by people who know what they are doing..... these are just props.

You should get those brands of rice and mix - they are made in Louisiana - Uncle Bens is a Texas thing

Heading to the Intercontinental Hotel on St Charles St in a few weeks for a work thing for a couple of days.  I will have a night out to do something.  Never been to New Orleans, am I in decent area to eat and drink?  TIA.

3 hours ago, schlesinj said:

Heading to the Intercontinental Hotel on St Charles St in a few weeks for a work thing for a couple of days.  I will have a night out to do something.  Never been to New Orleans, am I in decent area to eat and drink?  TIA.

Yep you're in a great spot. Head across the street to Luke for starters. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2018 at 6:08 AM, schlesinj said:

the restaurant inthe hotel (Trenasse) is a solid little lunch place as well.

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2018 at 7:08 AM, schlesinj said:

Check out Merils's(A newer Emerils place) and Compere Lapin(Beard Award winner) - and also head over to the Quarter to Mr. B's Bistro for BBQ Shrimp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We ate at the bar at Mr. B's last week, fried oysters and their signature gumbo yaya are awesome. We've eaten in the DR a few times too, very good. And one time we went with 5 other very boisterous/exuberant couples and the host led us through the kitchen to a back dining area with room for about 2 large parties and a couple of dueces- on the way through the kitchen I asked the host where we were going?

He said, "oh, you guys headed to the LFR."

"LFR?"

"Yeah, Loud ####ers Room!"

It was our party and another batchelor party of 12. We were very loud. We watched one duece after another be seated only to move out seeking shelter. Great nite!

• Like 1

A quick list I put together for @Gatorman via PM for Dinner/Drink options if you're staying in the French Quarter. Some of these are obviously redundant from this thread, but I know 25 pages is a lot to get through.

Drinks - these are all nicer cocktail places.  There are plenty of casual places you can poke in and out of just by walking around

• Arnaud's French 75
  • Galatoire's 33
  • Carousel Bar - Hotel Monteleone

Dinner - all of these places are solid options and walkable (5-15 min) from any FQ hotel

• Palace Cafe
  • Emeril's Nola
  • Antoines
  • Restaurant R'evolution
  • Brennan's
  • K Pauls
  • Irene's
  • Mr. Bs
  • GW Fins
  • Love 1

On 12/28/2018 at 12:33 PM, Tiger Fan said:

the restaurant inthe hotel (Trenasse) is a solid little lunch place as well.

Indeed Trenasse does a GREAT brunch too.

13 minutes ago, Tiger Fan said:

A quick list I put together for @Gatorman via PM for Dinner/Drink options if you're staying in the French Quarter. Some of these are obviously redundant from this thread, but I know 25 pages is a lot to get through.

Drinks - these are all nicer cocktail places.  There are plenty of casual places you can poke in and out of just by walking around

• Arnaud's French 75
  • Galatoire's 33
  • Carousel Bar - Hotel Monteleone

Dinner - all of these places are solid options and walkable (5-15 min) from any FQ hotel

• Palace Cafe
  • Emeril's Nola
  • Antoines
  • Restaurant R'evolution
  • Brennan's
  • K Pauls
  • Irene's
  • Mr. Bs
  • GW Fins

I got hungry reading this. If you go to Irene’s the soft shelled crab is 😍

Booked a sweet 4BR house over by UNO for Hogs for the Cause. Have a few guys from the Memphis BBQfest team coming down to cook with @tipsy mcstagger‘s team again this year. Can’t wait! 

Coming in Thursday night and likely getting out in the quarter. Friday and Saturday will be at Hogs cookin/eating/drinking with the Hogdat Nation Crewe. Then brunch on Sunday before taking the train back to Memphis. 

House is at 6042 Pratt Drive, New Orleans. Not a bad area from what I’m told. 

2 hours ago, [icon] said:

Booked a sweet 4BR house over by UNO for Hogs for the Cause. Have a few guys from the Memphis BBQfest team coming down to cook with @tipsy mcstagger‘s team again this year. Can’t wait! 

Coming in Thursday night and likely getting out in the quarter. Friday and Saturday will be at Hogs cookin/eating/drinking with the Hogdat Nation Crewe. Then brunch on Sunday before taking the train back to Memphis. 

Icon might want to check on that - City Council just put a big lockdown on short term home rentals - made most of them in the city illegal. Not sure if there is a cut off date on it.

https://www.nola.com/politics/2019/01/short-term-rental-rules-in-new-orleans-tightened.html

2 hours ago, ffldrew said:

Icon might want to check on that - City Council just put a big lockdown on short term home rentals - made most of them in the city illegal. Not sure if there is a cut off date on it.

https://www.nola.com/politics/2019/01/short-term-rental-rules-in-new-orleans-tightened.html

Thanks for the heads up, looks like we SHOULD be okay. The house is generally owner occupied.. and is outside the french quarter. The only rule we may be running afoul if is we will have 7 people in a 4BR (cap of 6), but that seems pretty unenforceable. 

Ill DM our rental agent anyways to be sure. Thanks! 

23 hours ago, [icon] said:

5 minutes from Hogs, so perfect for that.  Make sure you lock your car doors though.  Lot of petty theft, people pulling on doorhandles, etc.  I'm about 10 minutes away and stupidly left my car unlocked last weekend and they ransacked the car...nothing was in there, but just a heads up.

5 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

5 minutes from Hogs, so perfect for that.  Make sure you lock your car doors though.  Lot of petty theft, people pulling on doorhandles, etc.  I'm about 10 minutes away and stupidly left my car unlocked last weekend and they ransacked the car...nothing was in there, but just a heads up.

Good lookin out. We are taking the train and will Uber everywhere so all good on that front. But will keep our eyes open. 

Confirmed with the AirBNB host that they are not in an area affected by the new rules. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 10:55 PM, psychobillies said:

Really?  That's great.  Do you know which neighborhood you're gonna settle into?

we're in LGD renting now, but looking to buy anywhere from oak/leonidas to bywater

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 1:19 AM, Binky The Doormat said:

Whoa - big change ...what brought the move on??

divorced, fell in love, always wanted to live here since the first time i came, austin is totally different than when i moved there, cost of living...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sigmund Bloom said:

divorced, fell in love, always wanted to live here since the first time i came, austin is totally different than when i moved there, cost of living...

sorry about the divorce, but good for you on the rest of it Sig.  

Spent a lot of time down there and love it.   

If anyone is going to Jazz Fest today, check out Motel Radio at 11:20 on Gentilly stage.  Solid little indie rock/americana band

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

just read about it.  Right on Canal Street? Brutal.  

Where on Canal was it?  Was it right on the block where the Marriott is?