What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official New Orleans Thread*** (1 Viewer)

A quick list I put together for @Gatorman via PM for Dinner/Drink options if you're staying in the French Quarter. Some of these are obviously redundant from this thread, but I know 25 pages is a lot to get through.

Drinks - these are all nicer cocktail places.  There are plenty of casual places you can poke in and out of just by walking around

• Arnaud's French 75
  • Galatoire's 33
  • Carousel Bar - Hotel Monteleone
Dinner - all of these places are solid options and walkable (5-15 min) from any FQ hotel

• Palace Cafe
  • Emeril's Nola
  • Antoines
  • Restaurant R'evolution
  • Brennan's
  • K Pauls
  • Irene's
  • Mr. Bs
  • GW Fins

A quick list I put together for @Gatorman via PM for Dinner/Drink options if you're staying in the French Quarter. Some of these are obviously redundant from this thread, but I know 25 pages is a lot to get through.

Drinks - these are all nicer cocktail places.  There are plenty of casual places you can poke in and out of just by walking around

• Arnaud's French 75
  • Galatoire's 33
  • Carousel Bar - Hotel Monteleone
Dinner - all of these places are solid options and walkable (5-15 min) from any FQ hotel

• Palace Cafe
  • Emeril's Nola
  • Antoines
  • Restaurant R'evolution
  • Brennan's
  • K Pauls
  • Irene's
  • Mr. Bs
  • GW Fins
I got hungry reading this. If you go to Irene’s the soft shelled crab is 😍

Booked a sweet 4BR house over by UNO for Hogs for the Cause. Have a few guys from the Memphis BBQfest team coming down to cook with @tipsy mcstagger‘s team again this year. Can’t wait! 

Coming in Thursday night and likely getting out in the quarter. Friday and Saturday will be at Hogs cookin/eating/drinking with the Hogdat Nation Crewe. Then brunch on Sunday before taking the train back to Memphis. 

House is at 6042 Pratt Drive, New Orleans. Not a bad area from what I’m told. 

Booked a sweet 4BR house over by UNO for Hogs for the Cause. Have a few guys from the Memphis BBQfest team coming down to cook with @tipsy mcstagger‘s team again this year. Can’t wait! 

Coming in Thursday night and likely getting out in the quarter. Friday and Saturday will be at Hogs cookin/eating/drinking with the Hogdat Nation Crewe. Then brunch on Sunday before taking the train back to Memphis. 

Icon might want to check on that - City Council just put a big lockdown on short term home rentals - made most of them in the city illegal. Not sure if there is a cut off date on it.

https://www.nola.com/politics/2019/01/short-term-rental-rules-in-new-orleans-tightened.html

Icon might want to check on that - City Council just put a big lockdown on short term home rentals - made most of them in the city illegal. Not sure if there is a cut off date on it.

https://www.nola.com/politics/2019/01/short-term-rental-rules-in-new-orleans-tightened.html
Thanks for the heads up, looks like we SHOULD be okay. The house is generally owner occupied.. and is outside the french quarter. The only rule we may be running afoul if is we will have 7 people in a 4BR (cap of 6), but that seems pretty unenforceable. 

Ill DM our rental agent anyways to be sure. Thanks! 

5 minutes from Hogs, so perfect for that.  Make sure you lock your car doors though.  Lot of petty theft, people pulling on doorhandles, etc.  I'm about 10 minutes away and stupidly left my car unlocked last weekend and they ransacked the car...nothing was in there, but just a heads up.

5 minutes from Hogs, so perfect for that.  Make sure you lock your car doors though.  Lot of petty theft, people pulling on doorhandles, etc.  I'm about 10 minutes away and stupidly left my car unlocked last weekend and they ransacked the car...nothing was in there, but just a heads up.
Good lookin out. We are taking the train and will Uber everywhere so all good on that front. But will keep our eyes open. 

Confirmed with the AirBNB host that they are not in an area affected by the new rules. 

Looking to possibly head down sometime this summer. How bad are the summer months? I have a free plane tix that expires the end of August and I figured I nor the wife have ever been there so might as well make it a go. Looking at roughly 4 nights type of trip so any advice I'll take it. Hopefully I can get through this thread within the next couple days so I don't ask any obvious or repeat questions.
where are you from.  It's hot/humid as well...but how well you handle it depends on what you're used to.  On the plus side, there won't be any crowds and shouldn't have a problem getting reservations anywhere.  

Also, August is prime hurricane month.  Can't predict anything, but just know there's a little bit of a risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally going to get there.  Staying with my wife's cousin in the St Bernard neighborhood.  Looks like there are a couple RTA routes that run from there down to the Quarter.

I've been scanning this and Tipsy's thread for ideas over the past year or so.

Finally going to get there.  Staying with my wife's cousin in the St Bernard neighborhood.  Looks like there are a couple RTA routes that run from there down to the Quarter.

I've been scanning this and Tipsy's thread for ideas over the past year or so.
Hope you make it for Carnival. 

St Bernard is a straight shot to Bywater, Marigny, FQ & then to CBD.

I think I might maybe possibly start thinking (at least here) for a bit about something besides viruses, politics, and sports for a bit. Maybe do some top ten lists of NO or something like that. Will follow up soon, mostly dreaming of getting back to normal life. though God knows maybe that will be next year, August, 2030, whateverwhenever, pfft.

Heading down next week. I had my wife send this to her cousin as our itinerary.
A friend of mine and my wife's was a consultant on the show and Harry Shearer lives here, I am not sure if that's the source for the longtime NO connect though.

Only place in that snip I cannot say I really know is Gene's, I feel like a fool for that and when this crap is over I will seek it out, presuming of course it survives.

I think I might maybe possibly start thinking (at least here) for a bit about something besides viruses, politics, and sports for a bit. Maybe do some top ten lists of NO or something like that. Will follow up soon, mostly dreaming of getting back to normal life. though God knows maybe that will be next year, August, 2030, whateverwhenever, pfft.
yeah, just took a look at the OP.  Needs some updating!

**** and Jenny’s – another place you’ll need to cab to. Along the same lines as Dante’s Kitchen or Jacque Imo’s. You can bring your own wine for a corkage fee if you roll that way.
I don't know what will happen to some of our little gems. I really hope and pray that our joints come back after this. We've been through it before, I'm sure we will survive.

Had a great week about a month ago.  We stayed with my wife's cousin who lives near the Fairgrounds, so most days we'd ditch the car at City Park and take the streetcar down to the quarter.

Hit a lot of squares on my food/beverage bingo card:

- Beignets at Cafe du Monde in the park

- Muffuleta and Pimms Cup at Napoleon House

- Catfish Po' Boy at Johnny's

- Street beer

- BBQ at Tipsy's

- Sazerac, gumbo and crawfish at Station 6

IDK how we managed not to get Covid-19 down there, but here it is a month later and we're fine.  We left on Friday AM, and our hosts sent us video of the cops clearing the Quarter on Saturday night.  I think the fact that we were mostly downtown during the day, and weren't in any huge nighttime crowds probably helped.

Wife and I are heading down from June 23-28th.  We will celebrate her birthday while on the trip and have been in places like Savannah and Nashville over her birthday as well in recent years.  We are not big drinkers/partiers and are in our mid-40s.  Not huge fans of oysters either.  We just want to wander around, eat some good food, and take in the whole atmosphere/vibe.  From looking at this thread and talking to others I know this is our current plan.  We are staying at the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel.  

Day 1 (we fly down and get there mid-afternoon):  Dinner at Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse.   

Day 2:  Walking tour of French Quarter in the morning.  Get some beignets and coffee at Cafe Beignet.  Lunch- get a muffaletta at Central Grocery or Po Boy at Johnny's.  Dinner scheduled in the courtyard at Cafe Amelie.  

Day 3:  Find more coffee and beignets in the morning - maybe try Cafe DuMond.  Ride the St. Charles street car.  Walking tour of the Garden District.  Whatever we don't get for lunch we will get today.  Dinner at Mr. B's.  

Day 4:  Breakfast at Ruby Slipper.  Gray Line tour of Oak Alley plantation.  Dinner at Restaurant R'evolution.  

Day 5:  Wander around the French Market.  I think there is a crepe place we may try out since my wife likes those.  Dinner at GW Fins.  

We also intend to fit in:

Wandering around Frenchman Street.

Carousel Bar at Hotel Monteleone

Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's

Grasshopper at Tujague's 

Frozen Irish Coffee at Molly's Market

Pretty touristy stuff but we are looking forward to all of it once we get there.  

Is it easiest to just take a cab to/from the airport?  From what I can tell it seems like they charge a flat $36 to drive you one way which is about the same, if not cheaper, than uber/lyft.  

Wife and I are heading down from June 23-28th.  We will celebrate her birthday while on the trip and have been in places like Savannah and Nashville over her birthday as well in recent years.  We are not big drinkers/partiers and are in our mid-40s.  Not huge fans of oysters either.  We just want to wander around, eat some good food, and take in the whole atmosphere/vibe.  From looking at this thread and talking to others I know this is our current plan.  We are staying at the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel.  

Day 1 (we fly down and get there mid-afternoon):  Dinner at Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse.   

Day 2:  Walking tour of French Quarter in the morning.  Get some beignets and coffee at Cafe Beignet.  Lunch- get a muffaletta at Central Grocery or Po Boy at Johnny's.  Dinner scheduled in the courtyard at Cafe Amelie.  

Day 3:  Find more coffee and beignets in the morning - maybe try Cafe DuMond.  Ride the St. Charles street car.  Walking tour of the Garden District.  Whatever we don't get for lunch we will get today.  Dinner at Mr. B's.  

Day 4:  Breakfast at Ruby Slipper.  Gray Line tour of Oak Alley plantation.  Dinner at Restaurant R'evolution.  

Day 5:  Wander around the French Market.  I think there is a crepe place we may try out since my wife likes those.  Dinner at GW Fins.  

Grasshopper at Tujague's 

Pretty touristy stuff but we are looking forward to all of it once we get there.  

Is it easiest to just take a cab to/from the airport?  From what I can tell it seems like they charge a flat $36 to drive you one way which is about the same, if not cheaper, than uber/lyft.  
Day 3, while in the Garden District, look into lunch at Commander's Palace.  If you like martinis, only a quarter at lunch too.

Day 3, while in the Garden District, look into lunch at Commander's Palace.  If you like martinis, only a quarter at lunch too.
:excited:

I'm taking my oldest son on his graduation trip (I've promised each of my kids get a trip after graduation) June 21-24. I won't feel too bad making him drive afterwards. (Or we'll just walk)

I'll be reading the thread soon, but definitely looking for tips on places to hit with the guy. Staying at the Drury plaza, it seems we can walk to most places from there.

Also, if there's a better place to stay and just drive in for each day to park that would be fine too. 

Grasshopper at Tujague's 

Solid trip! May be sacrilege but I liked other Po Boys far better than Johnny’s.   And for an unreal sandwich get to Cochon Butcher. Make sure you do Frenchmen St

Solid trip! May be sacrilege but I liked other Po Boys far better than Johnny’s.   And for an unreal sandwich get to Cochon Butcher. Make sure you do Frenchmen St
This.

Also, I've mentioned it in this thread before, I think, but our favorite breakfast place when we lived there was Elizabeth's up in Marigny (neighborhood just northeast of the FQ). Their weekend brunch is top notch (get the praline bacon no matter how strange it sounds).

Somehow I went from never having been to New Orleans in 42 years to have it been there 3 times in 45.

wonderful city.  Lot of fun and that doesn’t mean you need to do the frat boy 2am bourbon street thing.

Hey! We are coming in for the week. I’ve read through the thread - any type of places where we can walk in and get a killer bowl of gumbo or po’ boy - without a reservation or 2 hour wait? We have a few reservations but I want some places I can just pop into and try the food. 

Capella said:
We are coming in for the week. I’ve read through the thread - any type of places where we can walk in and get a killer bowl of gumbo or po’ boy - without a reservation or 2 hour wait?
Yes — depends on where you are staying and how mobile you’ll be once you’re in town.

Capella said:
Hey! We are coming in for the week. I’ve read through the thread - any type of places where we can walk in and get a killer bowl of gumbo or po’ boy - without a reservation or 2 hour wait? We have a few reservations but I want some places I can just pop into and try the food. 
Mr. B's gumbo ya ya is the gold standard. We just pop in and sit at the bar. Muriels also has a great bar for popping in.

Capella said:
Gumbo Shop was one of the few places we walked right into without a reservation, but not sure that is typical since it is in such a busy area .

Yes — depends on where you are staying and how mobile you’ll be once you’re in town.
Very mobile. Have a car. Staying in a vrbo somewhere in the city - supposed to be close to all the good stuff. 
OK, then you're not confined to the Quarter and where you can easily walk to, or the touristy areas or anything like that.

So, here's some recommendations, with (a) quality of food and (b) walk-in ability prioritized over all else. I've linked to websites/menus so you can peruse. The last two places listed below are on the West Bank across the Mississippi River from the main tourist areas:

Mahony's Po-Boys & Seafood
3454 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA  70155

Mahony's is kind of like the Cliff's Notes of New Orleans comfort food -- in a good way. You can get a broad overview here. They have both chicken-&-sausage and seafood gumbo, and a slew of po-boy varieties. Tons of other local favorites on the menu.

The Blue Crab Restaurant and Oyster Bar
7900 Lakeshore Drive, New Orleans, La 70124

This seafood spot has a fantastic view of Lake Pontchartrain, right on the water. They've got the gumbo and po-boys you're looking for, plus fried platters, seafood pasta, and much more. They even make pizzas & burgers if someone in your group won't do seafood.

Jack Dempsey's
738 Poland Avenue, New Orleans, LA  70117

Like The Blue Crab, Jack Dempsey's is also a seafood restaurant set in an old blue-collar part of the city. If anyone is hankering for seafood (especially fried) as it's enjoyed locally, this would be a top pick. They've got seafood gumbo and different types of fried seafood po-boys.

Elizabeth's
601 Gallier St, New Orleans, LA  70117

8 blocks upriver from Jack Dempsey's is Elizabeth's, which is a quirky breakfast and lunch place. Closes at 2:30 p.m. They serve seafood po-boys during weekday lunches. Saturday and Sunday are strictly brunch, a very good one that locals enjoy.

DiMartino's Restaurant
3900 General De Gaulle Dr, New Orleans, LA  70114
1788 Carol Sue Ave, Terrytown, LA  70056

Not just po-boys, but a well-renowned muffuletta as well. Lots and lots of plate lunches centered around a combo of New Orleans Italian fare and Creole favorites. Very unassuming stripped-down place -- but don't let that put you off. The food is worth it.

Brothers - Ole New Orleans Cafe
1502 Lapalco Blvd, Harvey, LA  70058

Also a good "Cliff's Notes" place for New Orleans cuisine. All the gumbo and po-boys (and more) you can want. Breakfast and lunch only (close at 2:30). Their breakfast is kind of famous among those of us on the West Bank, but don't take that to mean the lunch fare suffers in comparison -- far from it.

Grasshopper at Tujague's 

nice choice on the dinner restaurants - are you getting any word on the restaurant August these days since the Besh Debacle?

may also want to work in Susan Spicer's Bayona for lunch (only open on Friday's now for lunch) - and get the 

Smoked Duck "PB and J" (Lunch)

Cashew butter, pepper jelly, apple-celery salad, wild flour multigrain.

OK, then you're not confined to the Quarter and where you can easily walk to, or the touristy areas or anything like that.

So, here's some recommendations, with (a) quality of food and (b) walk-in ability prioritized over all else. I've linked to websites/menus so you can peruse. The last two places listed below are on the West Bank across the Mississippi River from the main tourist areas:

Mahony's Po-Boys & Seafood
3454 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA  70155

Mahony's is kind of like the Cliff's Notes of New Orleans comfort food -- in a good way. You can get a broad overview here. They have both chicken-&-sausage and seafood gumbo, and a slew of po-boy varieties. Tons of other local favorites on the menu.

The Blue Crab Restaurant and Oyster Bar
7900 Lakeshore Drive, New Orleans, La 70124

This seafood spot has a fantastic view of Lake Pontchartrain, right on the water. They've got the gumbo and po-boys you're looking for, plus fried platters, seafood pasta, and much more. They even make pizzas & burgers if someone in your group won't do seafood.

Jack Dempsey's
738 Poland Avenue, New Orleans, LA  70117

Like The Blue Crab, Jack Dempsey's is also a seafood restaurant set in an old blue-collar part of the city. If anyone is hankering for seafood (especially fried) as it's enjoyed locally, this would be a top pick. They've got seafood gumbo and different types of fried seafood po-boys.

Elizabeth's
601 Gallier St, New Orleans, LA  70117

8 blocks upriver from Jack Dempsey's is Elizabeth's, which is a quirky breakfast and lunch place. Closes at 2:30 p.m. They serve seafood po-boys during weekday lunches. Saturday and Sunday are strictly brunch, a very good one that locals enjoy.

DiMartino's Restaurant
3900 General De Gaulle Dr, New Orleans, LA  70114
1788 Carol Sue Ave, Terrytown, LA  70056

Not just po-boys, but a well-renowned muffuletta as well. Lots and lots of plate lunches centered around a combo of New Orleans Italian fare and Creole favorites. Very unassuming stripped-down place -- but don't let that put you off. The food is worth it.

Brothers - Ole New Orleans Cafe
1502 Lapalco Blvd, Harvey, LA  70058

Also a good "Cliff's Notes" place for New Orleans cuisine. All the gumbo and po-boys (and more) you can want. Breakfast and lunch only (close at 2:30). Their breakfast is kind of famous among those of us on the West Bank, but don't take that to mean the lunch fare suffers in comparison -- far from it.
Wow man, super thanks! Didn’t have any of these places written down. Will try multiple ones for sure. 

This storm heading up is no biggie right :unsure:  

Users who are viewing this thread