What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL IV Commentary Thread (1 Viewer)

I have not read 1 single word in this thread but I want to post this first before I get going...by the way I had to go to a friend's 34th B-Day at the GD Melting Pot if any of you have ever eaten in one of these places...what a total rip off.

Anyways, I have to say that basically all I see to this point are a bunch of folks drafting according to last year's stats...I can't single one person out but we all have done it more or less. When is the last time the top50 from the year before finshed in the same order the next season. Jason Witten in the 2nd round? C'mon now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not read 1 single word in this thread but I want to post this first before I get going...by the way I had to go to a friend's 34th B-Day at the GD Melting Pot if any of you have ever eaten in one of these places...what a total rip off. Anyways, I have to say that basically all I see to this point are a bunch of folks drafting according to last year's stats...I can't single one person out but we all have done it more or less. When is the last time the top50 from the year before finshed in the same order the next season. Jason Witten in the 2nd round? C'mon now.
Witten Draft position 2008, WSL's, PDSL's, and SSL's: 2.082.142.10 3.04 3.04 2.13 2.142.122.112.112.13 11/13 drafts he's taken in the 2nd. Just stop.

Witten:

87/980/6

66/757/6

64/754/1

96/1145/7

The 1st half of 2006 was the biggest anomoly of his career so far. The switch to Romo in DAL has brought Witten back to elite receiving TE. I project a conservative 80/900/6 line for him with some upside potential.

The scoring system favors a strong TE, so getting one here looked good to me.

I have not read 1 single word in this thread but I want to post this first before I get going...by the way I had to go to a friend's 34th B-Day at the GD Melting Pot if any of you have ever eaten in one of these places...what a total rip off. Anyways, I have to say that basically all I see to this point are a bunch of folks drafting according to last year's stats...I can't single one person out but we all have done it more or less. When is the last time the top50 from the year before finshed in the same order the next season. Jason Witten in the 2nd round? C'mon now.
M'eh... in a 16 team league, sometimes you grab players and positions you know just won't be there your next time around. My take on Winslow was he was the last elite TE on my board. nittany has 2 picks before my next, and with Gates and Witten gone, IMO, it was likely Winslow would be one of his picks. I wouldn't normally take him in the 2nd, but that's where I needed to take him to get him.Should the mini TE run have started later? Maybe. I'm glad it happened where it did, as my draft position fit very favorably into the way things have fallen.

LOL...Switz got his last elite TE on his board after Gates and Witten, and I got mine. His point is valid, sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get who you want, and count on finding value as the Draft moves into the later Rounds. At 2 pts/recpt for TE, elite ones in short supply, and a long stretch of Picks in front of me, it was pretty much an auto-pick. Welker, given the Offense he plays in, and his role in it, is decent value towards the end of WR1 for PPR. I'm OK with how things are shaking out thus far.

PM'd Switz...

So after my QB-QB, no one wants to comment on Norseman going WR-WR?

:yes:

Wow, he will be hurting at RB!!!! hehehe....

:lmao: more

I am quickly assembling a 2004 dream team here.

Gonzo is ancient, but I thought he was the last player in a tier and it seemed like a good idea to get in there before the value dropoff hits.

Just for discussion, a closer look at Brady + Manning last year....

1. 39 B

2. 36 B

3. 48 B

4. 33 B 39 M +6

5. 37 B

6. 60 B

7. 66 B

8. 53 B

9. 34 B

10. 0 B 20 M +20

11. 60 B

12. 29 B 36 M +7

13. 28 B 45 M +17

14. 52 B

15. 6 B 20 M + 14

16. 32 B 39 M +7

17. 34 B 46 M +12

Net Manning gain of +83. Interesting to note that includes +20 on Brady's bye week and +14 on Brady's stinker week of 6 points. Selecting Vince Young would instead of Manning would have netted you +48 points and would have out scored Manning in weeks 10 and 15.

BassNBrew said:
Road Warriors said:
Not a single 2nd round RB? That is definitely a first for me.
That's why it's league four. On the plus side, 3 of you will be moving to league one next year.
At the point of my picks, I didn't feel any RBs presented the value of the 2 players I picked. I have a step up in every position except WR in the league, and WRs are easy to compensate for later in the draft in a league this style.

BassNBrew said:
Road Warriors said:
That's why it's league four. On the plus side, 3 of you will be moving to league one next year.
SSL1 - Rd 1, 14 RB. Rd 2, 3 RB. Rd 3, 5 RBSSL2 - Rd 1, 14 RB. Rd 2, 2 RB. Rd 3, 6 RB

SSL3 - Rd 1, 13 RB. Rd 2, 3 RB. Rd 3, 7 RB

SSL4 - Rd 1, 14 RB. Rd 2, 0 RB. Rd 3, ?? RB

Are you and MoP trying to be annoying with your comments?

After 2 rounds, SSL4 had drafted 2 or 3 less RBs than the other leagues. Not exactly "stunning."

BassNBrew said:
Road Warriors said:
SSL1 - Rd 1, 14 RB. Rd 2, 3 RB. Rd 3, 5 RBSSL2 - Rd 1, 14 RB. Rd 2, 2 RB. Rd 3, 6 RB

After 2 rounds, SSL4 had drafted 2 or 3 less RBs than the other leagues. Not exactly "stunning."
They're just jealous they don't have as good a league as we do.

BassNBrew said:
Road Warriors said:

1. Surprised at some of the value that's drop and some of the picks.2. Trying to stimulate some discussion which was the original main purposes of these leagues. Getting everyone's thoughts and drafting this deep helps me prep for my local league.

3. You must be new here because I don't try to be annoying, I am annoying. :lmao:

BassNBrew said:
Road Warriors said:
At the point of my picks, I didn't feel any RBs presented the value of the 2 players I picked. I have a step up in every position except WR in the league, and WRs are easy to compensate for later in the draft in a league this style.
Case in point:Ronnie Brown, RB, MIA

Ernest Graham, RB, TB

Those were the next two RBs drafted, are you kidding me? Brown may not even be able to play this year, and Graham is a huge question mark. That's the best RBs that were available? That's the problem with RBs in general, none of them are sure things at this point.

I will say, there was ONE RB I really really really considered, but didn't take. I will not be hugely upset if he's gone when my next pick comes around either... but it was a consideration.

BassNBrew said:
Road Warriors said:

1. Surprised at some of the value that's drop and some of the picks.2. Trying to stimulate some discussion which was the original main purposes of these leagues. Getting everyone's thoughts and drafting this deep helps me prep for my local league.

3. You must be new here because I don't try to be annoying, I am annoying. :whoosh:
Don't flatter yourself - you aren't NEARLY as annoying as a lot of guys :goodposting: Just a suggestion - don't "stimulate" me. I get enough of that elsewhere. Participation in discussion, however, is something I look forward to from both you and MoP.

For instance, my picks have been

Frank Gore - with Martzball on the horizon, and a decent DEF to keep them in many games, I expect very good rush and reception numbers from Gore this year.

Steve Smith - an actual QB and another WR or two for defensive coordinators to think about? Oh, and Stewart to boot. Smith could be the #1 again this year.

Ernest "Moonlight" Graham - Caddy is done. Ricky is old. And Graham looked great last year. He catches a lot of balls, too, which I look for.

1. Surprised at some of the value that's drop and some of the picks.
So much for eveeryone going off the FBG cheatsheet, eh? Maybe we don't see some players as valued where you do, because we're smarter :whoosh:
2. Trying to stimulate some discussion which was the original main purposes of these leagues. Getting everyone's thoughts and drafting this deep helps me prep for my local league.
For us it is hard to talk much about our picks in the midst of drafting, until say at least a round later, when the other players we were considering are now gone.
3. You must be new here because I don't try to be annoying, I am annoying. :goodposting:
LOL, so true, so true :lmao: hehehe

BassNBrew said:
Road Warriors said:

Ernest Graham, RB, TB

Those were the next two RBs drafted, are you kidding me? Brown may not even be able to play this year, and Graham is a huge question mark. That's the best RBs that were available? That's the problem with RBs in general, none of them are sure things at this point.

I will say, there was ONE RB I really really really considered, but didn't take. I will not be hugely upset if he's gone when my next pick comes around either... but it was a consideration.
shhhhh.....be vewy vewy quiet... i am hunting stud wunning backs. They are still there. WRs are a dime a dozen and the only TDs Ocho Cinco will score this year will be in the AFL.

1.11 RB Reggie Bush: Simply put, he offers you one of the best PPR RB in the entire draft. After LT, SJax, Westy, and maybe Addai...you have to think he will make a play for top 6-7 at the position. And there really isn't much there to move him out of the running game. Deuce is coming off his 2nd ACL tear, Pierre Thomas??? Aaron Stecker??? This was great value and I am not surprised that Wannabee took him in one of the other SSL leagues.

2.06 WR Andre Johnson: Had 103 receptions in 2006...but look at his game logs last season, my GOD!!!

7/142/TD

7/120/TD,TD

6/120/TD

9/116/TD

9/82/TD

6/86/TD

7/74/TD

6/74

He missed half the season and you cannot predict injury...but he has top5, maybe top3 talent if he can stay healthy all year. I think there was some value here and a lot of other WR in this late 1st/early 2nd tier have questions. I wanted M.Colston but with Bush already I felt I needed to look at a different team...which leads us too...

3.11 QB Drew Brees: I went back and forth with this pick. I was thinking about another top5 QB here but I just like the OL and the overall offense of New orleans and even though in week 9 my QB1 and RB1 will be on bye weeks, to be able to add a guy that is 4,200+ yds and 25+ TD, it makes a lot of sense. Brees throws for 275 yds a game, Palmer was the other QB I was looking at and he averages 250 yds a game so I felt I was making the right decision in Brees. The Saints are still pretty mediocre on defense so they are going to have to put up 24-30 a game in order to win most weeks.

I came out with my RB1, WR1, and QB1 in the 1st 3 rounds, i feel I have built a solid base in which to work around.

BassNBrew said:
Road Warriors said:

I will do a team by team when the draft is over and put it up for discussion...you think I'm annoying now, just you wait. :moneybag:

BassNBrew said:
Road Warriors said:

Ernest Graham, RB, TB

shhhhh.....be vewy vewy quiet... i am hunting stud wunning backs. They are still there. WRs are a dime a dozen and the only TDs Ocho Cinco will score this year will be in the AFL.
As a guy that writes a weekly RB thread with over 2,000 hits every week during the season I would love to hear which "Stud" RB are left on the board. Every one of them has major question marks, and I can tell you that if you think rookie RB are going to carry your football team...I say no more at this point. WR are a dime a dozen? :moneybag:

3.12 RB Laurence Maroney

I seriously considered passing on him just to see when he'd finally get taken, but I actually want him on my team. In the late third, he could have the same year he did last year and still be an OK pick.
He was on my radar but I passed. Didn't want to have to curse the TV each week watching the Pats score a lot of points and none of them going his way. Would love to hear what you have to say in the comments section as Maroney is not a PPR type guy.
Patriots set an NFL record for TDs last year. They'll clearly regress, but they have another easy schedule this year, and should be a top scoring team once again. If Tom Brady approaches 50 TDs again, Maroney will have to be content with a piece of the pie the Pats' running backs got last year. In 16 total games last year, he had 1250 total yards and 9 total TDs, which isn't bad in the third round, even if his receptions were low. If Brady regresses more than the Pats' overall scoring, the NE RB pie could be much, much bigger. As for Maroney's share of the pie, I think that, going into last year, Belichick wasn't impressed with Maroney's ability to pick up the offense. In the tail end of last year and in the playoffs, he got Maroney involved and he ended up with 586 yards and 7 TDs in his final 7 games, with a TD in each game. I'm not cherry picking those games to predict his stats next year, but I think we know more about what he's capable of now. If you look earlier in the season, he had some bad luck when splitting drives with Morris, as well. He had plenty of opportunities to pick up TDs early in the season even when they were sharing, and I believe he's capable of converting them at a greater clip than he did last year. FWIW, after early season struggles in the passing game, he had five receptions in three playoff games, which is far from spectaculer, but may be a sign that he was improving in the passing game enough that they would open up the playbook to him. Morris is now 31 and coming off a season ending injury, and Faulk will be 32 this season. So his stock seems to be on the upswing, while the stock of his competition for playing time is not.

My biggest concerns with Maroney are injury, of course, and that they add a free agent running back late in the offseason. You can't really predict the former, although I do think the Pats will continue to be more careful with him if they don't add depth at the position. If the latter happens, his value will drop. But in my mind, both of those risks are already built into his third round draft price.

Maroney is a good second back in the survivor format. He was on my short list if Gonzo didn't fall.

Maroney is a good second back in the survivor format. He was on my short list if Gonzo didn't fall.
Not a bad second back, but not the best left. Still, in this format, if you want a guy on your team, you need to grab him when you have a chance.

BassNBrew said:
Road Warriors said:

Ernest Graham, RB, TB

As a guy that writes a weekly RB thread with over 2,000 hits every week during the season I would love to hear which "Stud" RB are left on the board. Every one of them has major question marks, and I can tell you that if you think rookie RB are going to carry your football team...I say no more at this point. WR are a dime a dozen?
:construction: Which is why I wasn't surprised to see no RBs taken in the 2nd round.

As a guy that writes a weekly RB thread with over 2,000 hits every week during the season I would love to hear which "Stud" RB are left on the board. Every one of them has major question marks, and I can tell you that if you think rookie RB are going to carry your football team...I say no more at this point. WR are a dime a dozen? :bag:
Maroney and FWP are two IMHO. I don't write a running back column or anything, tho I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :lmao: Shaun Alexander was a stud last year in these drafts. And the rest is history.As for my WR comment, find me one that does not have a least a little ? mark by their name. I mean, Randy Moss could turn out to be the Evil Twin this year, TO could go back to being, well, TO. It comes down to your draft philosophy. Past performance or potential.just my two cents :lol:

As a guy that writes a weekly RB thread with over 2,000 hits every week during the season I would love to hear which "Stud" RB are left on the board. Every one of them has major question marks, and I can tell you that if you think rookie RB are going to carry your football team...I say no more at this point. WR are a dime a dozen? :goodposting:
Maroney and FWP are two IMHO. I don't write a running back column or anything, tho I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :goodposting: Shaun Alexander was a stud last year in these drafts. And the rest is history.As for my WR comment, find me one that does not have a least a little ? mark by their name. I mean, Randy Moss could turn out to be the Evil Twin this year, TO could go back to being, well, TO. It comes down to your draft philosophy. Past performance or potential.just my two cents :lmao:
You sent me a PM about this post? I was expecting you to take a blowtorch to me or something...I love the Holiday Inn Express line though. Good stuff man, keep it coming

Maroney and FWP are two IMHO.
Wasn't Maroney already gone by the time this was posted? And isn't FWP in a RBBC at the minimum this season?
I don't write a running back column or anything, tho I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :rolleyes: Shaun Alexander was a stud last year in these drafts. And the rest is history.
No need to roll eyes. And Shaun Alexander was NOT a stud last year, at least he wasn't on my list. And IIRC most of the knowledgeable guys didn't have them high on their lists either.
As for my WR comment, find me one that does not have a least a little ? mark by their name. I mean, Randy Moss could turn out to be the Evil Twin this year, TO could go back to being, well, TO. It comes down to your draft philosophy. Past performance or potential.
I'm not going to comment on the WRs... I agree with the .10/12 comment, but not for the reason you say. WRs are the least valuable position in a best ball league though.

WRs are the least valuable position in a best ball league though.
I did a study on this year's ago and actually they accounted for 32% of the value of the team as I recall. This was done in a 12 team survivor league with 1 pt ppr at TE.

WRs are the least valuable position in a best ball league though.
I completely disagree. I think WR's are the most important position in this scoring system for best ball. I think TE's are also arguably on that level, but since you need 3 WR I tend to have them as the most important position. Although even high tier WR's are inconsistent at times, they just show off how difficult it is to pick up WR's that will actually matter from the later rounds. It would likely matter less if we had more picks, but with only 18 it's difficult to get the depth necessary to just play infinite scrubs at the position and get anything resembling good points.

I have so much I want to say about my pick just now, but I don't want to talk about the other players I was considering who are still on the board. A couple of them are rated more highly than Bowe, but when they get picked, I'll explain why I passed on them.

3.12 RB Laurence Maroney

I seriously considered passing on him just to see when he'd finally get taken, but I actually want him on my team. In the late third, he could have the same year he did last year and still be an OK pick.
He was on my radar but I passed. Didn't want to have to curse the TV each week watching the Pats score a lot of points and none of them going his way. Would love to hear what you have to say in the comments section as Maroney is not a PPR type guy.
Patriots set an NFL record for TDs last year. They'll clearly regress, but they have another easy schedule this year, and should be a top scoring team once again. If Tom Brady approaches 50 TDs again, Maroney will have to be content with a piece of the pie the Pats' running backs got last year. In 16 total games last year, he had 1250 total yards and 9 total TDs, which isn't bad in the third round, even if his receptions were low. If Brady regresses more than the Pats' overall scoring, the NE RB pie could be much, much bigger. As for Maroney's share of the pie, I think that, going into last year, Belichick wasn't impressed with Maroney's ability to pick up the offense. In the tail end of last year and in the playoffs, he got Maroney involved and he ended up with 586 yards and 7 TDs in his final 7 games, with a TD in each game. I'm not cherry picking those games to predict his stats next year, but I think we know more about what he's capable of now. If you look earlier in the season, he had some bad luck when splitting drives with Morris, as well. He had plenty of opportunities to pick up TDs early in the season even when they were sharing, and I believe he's capable of converting them at a greater clip than he did last year. FWIW, after early season struggles in the passing game, he had five receptions in three playoff games, which is far from spectaculer, but may be a sign that he was improving in the passing game enough that they would open up the playbook to him. Morris is now 31 and coming off a season ending injury, and Faulk will be 32 this season. So his stock seems to be on the upswing, while the stock of his competition for playing time is not.

My biggest concerns with Maroney are injury, of course, and that they add a free agent running back late in the offseason. You can't really predict the former, although I do think the Pats will continue to be more careful with him if they don't add depth at the position. If the latter happens, his value will drop. But in my mind, both of those risks are already built into his third round draft price.
I don't see how he gets out of the 2nd round. The starting RB on the best offense in football has top five potential.

3.12 RB Laurence Maroney

I don't see how he gets out of the 2nd round. The starting RB on the best offense in football has top five potential.
IN PPR leagues though he doesn't factor in as much. Not part of the passing game and they seem to like the RBBC approach. At best he might be a Jamal Lewis in terms of stats.

Ministry of Pain said:
BassNBrew said:
IN PPR leagues though he doesn't factor in as much. Not part of the passing game and they seem to like the RBBC approach. At best he might be a Jamal Lewis in terms of stats.
:lmao: I think JL numbers are a celing for Maroney. It's a question of how he's used in that offense, not a question of talent.

4.07 Fred Taylor, RB, Jax
Is that pick 4.07, or 7.04? :popcorn: Norsemen - :thumbup:
I would have taken him with my pick. In fact the three guys I had targeted for the end of this round all went earlier than I expected :lmao: :(
9/18 picks since I took Graham 3.07 were RBs. Had I passed on him, I would have prayed for Thomas Jones to make it back to me. Glad I didn't bank on that strategy.

It's not that bad of a pick, but it wasn't a great value. You probably could've gotten that type of RB anywhere in the next 2-3 rounds.

It's not that bad of a pick, but it wasn't a great value. You probably could've gotten that type of RB anywhere in the next 2-3 rounds.
Or that exact back in the next 3-4 rounds...
M'eh - I wanted him on my roster. And bear in mind, in my draft position, a LOT of players fall between my picks. Maybe he would not have gone off the board between 5.02 and 6.15 or 7.02, but it was a risk I didn't want to take. I actually had a hunch he would be gone before my next pick (5.02)

Users who are viewing this thread