What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

League Fees for Commissioner? (1 Viewer)

SHOULD the Commish have some or all fees waived?

• Yes. It's a thankless job and a ton of work, etc.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • No. It's a labor of love and not paying equal fees isn't right.

Votes: 81 79.4%

• Total voters

Johnny Rock

Footballguy
Back in the days of manual scoring, it was quite a bit of work to run a league. Hence some Commissioners would waive their annual entry fee as partial compensation for their labor. Now that websites do most of the work in-season, the labor should be greatly reduced. What are you seeing or doing in your leagues with regard to the Commish fees?

Edited: Added poll.

Also, it's common knowledge that Commissioners do a lot behind the scenes. This thread isn't about how much Commissioners do. The question is should they be paid by waiving their league fees, yet still be eligible to win the payouts? Is it just not worth it to question him or is a light-hearted jab email or conversation warranted?

If you are a Commish who gets fees waived have you answered this question from a leaguemate? Would you get pissed or defensive if the topic was brought up?

Last edited by a moderator:
everyone pays the same in our league. the only things our co-commishes do is try and skew the rules to benefit them.

He use to get a % (we also have pay per transaction), but now he gets the initial fees straight up. It's still worth it.

there's nothing to do anymore with mfl, yahoo, espn, cbssportsline, etc...running the show. find somebody who will do it for nothing rather than paying somebody to do it.

I'm a commish and of course I pay the same as the other owners. I do it because I enjoy it, not for financial gain.

johnnyrock62000 said:
Back in the days of manual scoring, it was quite a bit of work to run a league. Hence some Commissioners would waive their annual entry fee as partial compensation for their labor.
..then the bi-centennial came along......I'd literally laugh out loud at any commish who would expect any rate cut, let alone free.

I'm a commish and of course I pay the same as the other owners. I do it because I enjoy it, not for financial gain.
I agree wif FE. Been running it since the days of scoring out of the Dallas Morning News by hand and never taken a fee. Back in the good old days, there was some built-in advantage because you had to stay on top of things in order to run the league. With the innerwebs and all these days, the commish doesn't have that advantage.

I agree wif FE. Been running it since the days of scoring out of the Dallas Morning News by hand and never taken a fee. Back in the good old days, there was some built-in advantage because you had to stay on top of things in order to run the league. With the innerwebs and all these days, the commish doesn't have that advantage.
I also designed our MFL site and that took a lot of work, but again, it's not necessary and I do it because I enjoy it. Even w/ a bare bones MFL site or w/e, after the initial setup, there's nothing for the commish to do except handle disputes etc.

That's what I figured most would say.

In one of my leagues, the Commish continues to take a free entry fee. It's only $50, and I know he doesn't mean anything by it. It just seems odd nowadays, especially if he has a big net gain, as he did by finishing second last year. Bragging rights are worth far more than cash in this league.

Oh, another thing, $6.50 of our fee goes toward the online site. So not only are we each paying our share of the site, we're paying his share and his fee. Our drop\add fees go toward draft materials, beer and food for the Auctioneers so it's not like he's contributing that way.

What do you think about maybe approaching it through the Assistant Commish? Any ideas so that it doesn't create a mess of hard feelings? Is it worth bringing up or forget about it?

Ours pays for the hosting site, about $30 less than the franchise fee and pays for transactions like everyone else.

That's what I figured most would say. In one of my leagues, the Commish continues to take a free entry fee. It's only $50, and I know he doesn't mean anything by it. It just seems odd nowadays, especially if he has a big net gain, as he did by finishing second last year. Bragging rights are worth far more than cash in this league. Oh, another thing, $6.50 of our fee goes toward the online site. So not only are we each paying our share of the site, we're paying his share and his fee. Our drop\add fees go toward draft materials, beer and food for the Auctioneers so it's not like he's contributing that way.What do you think about maybe approaching it through the Assistant Commish? Any ideas so that it doesn't create a mess of hard feelings? Is it worth bringing up or forget about it?
I don't know how you have hard feelings about this. You're a jerk if you charge your friends fees for fantasy. It's not any real work any more. Any commish who doesnt pay his share is a flat-out deadbeat. My take would be to tell your friend that you're insulted he's been stealing from you for years. If he's not embarrassed for being such a deadbeat and doesnt ante up right away, he's probably manipulating your rules and cheating here and there anyhow. Get out of that league and start your own, and run it right: by paying the same share as everyone else.Edited to add that I would be very, very suspicious that your commish is cheating. Nothing shady EVER happened around this commish? I'll be shocked if that's the case.

I am the commish and I front the site fee and trophy engraving, but it is taken out of the pot at the end, with myself paying his equal share. No benefits just knowing that nobody is screwing you is worth the effort to me.

there's nothing to do anymore with mfl, yahoo, espn, cbssportsline, etc...running the show. find somebody who will do it for nothing rather than paying somebody to do it.
Thats not true.. yes; the job is easier w/ live scoring, but the commissioner's role is still very important. Its true in some leagues all the commish does is set the rules and set up the software... and actually is just doing an hour or 2 worth of work; the commish is then responible for collecting money, making sure everyone follows the rules that are not controlled by software, and the paying outs.Then throw in that some leagues are much more complex than others. Contract Leagues, Salary Cap leagues that increase yearly. I don't mind if the guy gets a little off his entry. Tipping or a thank you email is a nice idea to.

bump.

I was wondering how to broach this subject also. I play in a couple leagues with some guys that have been playing together for about 15 years. back in the day, everything was done by hand, so the commish earned his fee.

but now everything is pretty much done online, and the commish has a nominal role. yet, they are still charging fairly substantial fees. the only real responsibility is to set up the league, email the owners once in a while, mediate any issues, and collect/pay money at the end. I have run both football and basketball leagues, and have never charged a fee because I'm doing it for the enjoyment, not for a free ride.

how do I bring up the subject without offending the commissioners, who are buddies of mine?

15 years ago I was in a league with some college buddies. League dues were $25. Even back then everything was computerized and the Commish did not to much aside from process trades. After a couple of seasons, a friend-of-a-friend decided to take over as Commish. Okay, no big deal.

A week before the draft, this guy announces the league dues have been increased to $250 per person, and that he will not be paying dues because he is the Commissioner.

Half the league quit the next day, and none of us ever talked to that guy again.

I'm a commissioner, and I'm guessing that many of you posting here are not. I don't take any discounted fees, but to say we don't do anything is just flat out ignorant.

It's certainly not hard work, but it is time-consuming. It takes hours of my time to organize the draft before the season, between all the emails and calls to set the date, then preparing the draft boards, ordering food, shopping for refreshments, etc. Then afterwards I have to input all the draft results on the site and input the schedules. During the season I don't have much to do other than arbitrate disputes, but after the season I have to chase down fees. pay the winners, get the trophy from the previous winner, have it engraved, ship it to the new winner.

Some of you might at least acknowledge that if it seems like the commissioner has nothing to do, he's probably doing a pretty good job behind the scenes to make it seem that way.

I commish a 10 team dynasty league. I pay the same as everyone else. I front the league fees at the beginning of the year. I take nothing in return for doing it. I don't even know that I'd accept a tip if someone offered it. All I ask in payment as commish is a thank you at the end of the year. Some guys do it. Some don't. But I don't do it to make money off my owners. That's just shi++y.

For the people who think that commishing a league is hands off, it's clear you've never commished a league. Establishing scoring rules, tweaking scoring rules, setting up the draft, getting everyone to show for the draft, making sure rosters are cut down by established dates, processing trades, collecting fees, handing out winnings at the end of the year, etc. etc. etc. It isn't hands off. It isn't even close to hands off.

I'm a commissioner, and I'm guessing that many of you posting here are not. I don't take any discounted fees, but to say we don't do anything is just flat out ignorant.It's certainly not hard work, but it is time-consuming. It takes hours of my time to organize the draft before the season, between all the emails and calls to set the date, then preparing the draft boards, ordering food, shopping for refreshments, etc. Then afterwards I have to input all the draft results on the site and input the schedules. During the season I don't have much to do other than arbitrate disputes, but after the season I have to chase down fees. pay the winners, get the trophy from the previous winner, have it engraved, ship it to the new winner. Some of you might at least acknowledge that if it seems like the commissioner has nothing to do, he's probably doing a pretty good job behind the scenes to make it seem that way.
:whoosh: on the money, imo

15 years ago I was in a league with some college buddies. League dues were $25. Even back then everything was computerized and the Commish did not to much aside from process trades. After a couple of seasons, a friend-of-a-friend decided to take over as Commish. Okay, no big deal.A week before the draft, this guy announces the league dues have been increased to $250 per person, and that he will not be paying dues because he is the Commissioner.Half the league quit the next day, and none of us ever talked to that guy again.
only half?I commish one league and am the treasurer for another. Of course we pay.

I'm a commissioner, and I'm guessing that many of you posting here are not. I don't take any discounted fees, but to say we don't do anything is just flat out ignorant.

It's certainly not hard work, but it is time-consuming. It takes hours of my time to organize the draft before the season, between all the emails and calls to set the date, then preparing the draft boards, ordering food, shopping for refreshments, etc. Then afterwards I have to input all the draft results on the site and input the schedules. During the season I don't have much to do other than arbitrate disputes, but after the season I have to chase down fees. pay the winners, get the trophy from the previous winner, have it engraved, ship it to the new winner.

Some of you might at least acknowledge that if it seems like the commissioner has nothing to do, he's probably doing a pretty good job behind the scenes to make it seem that way.
I agree with the rest although my leagues are on the internet so much easier, but why would you not have the teams pay up front?

I think it's arrogant that lazy owners feel entitled to free commissioner duties. I'm reminded of buffoons who believe that stay-at-home parents "don't do anything." They don't have a clue what goes on, so they assume that nothing goes on.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think that a commissioner should necessarily get a free pass or even a discount, and there's no question that their duties are a lot simpler than they were just a few years ago. But the idea that they don't do anything is absurd. Who schedules the draft in your league? Who chases down league dues? Who settles disputes from whiny owners? Who handles rules-lawyers who make a game out of finding loopholes? Who finds replacement owners? Who makes sure the winners are paid out? Who does all the little things, from site maintenance and decoration to e-mails or other little additions that make your league fun? And if a dispute involves them, who is the one who bends over backwards to prove they aren't doing anything untoward? Who is scrutinized like a dirty politician when a whiner doesn't like the way a decision goes?

If it's really nothing, why haven't you stepped up to do it?

I totally understand that most commissioners do it for fun, don't want any payment and enjoy running a league. I understand the notion that somebody has to run the league but the commissioner, like any other owner, should pay their own way if they want a shot at the pot. I also understand the idea that the other owners might resent someone getting a free pass even if they do some work to earn it.

What I do not understand is the "Why should they get anything? They don't do anything" attitude by some folks in this thread. At the very least, you should drop your entitlement attitude and show a little appreciation for someone who does a LOT more than you do to make the league fun. You're just an owner, and likely as replaceable as the money in your wallet. I think you know it's not hard to replace you. But your commissioner actually does things to make the league fun. You don't have to give them a free entry, or even a discount. But don't pretend they don't do anything.

(gets off soapbox).

NBZ

I have always paid the entire 100% fee even way back in 1990 when I had to go buy a USA today every Monday and do all the work by hand.

Nothing has changed for me in the 21 years I have been playing. I always pay 100% every league I run.

Being the commissioner should be a labor of love. I pay the same entry fee as everyone else. The one bonus of being "all-time" commissioner in my leagues is that I am awarded the tie-breaking vote in league polls. Other than that I'm more or less the guy who ensures that the 'League Constitution' is followed to a T.

On my site awhile back I wrote a 10-part series on starting a fantasy football league and Part 5 discussed establishing league fees. There might be some good ideas in here for you:

Introduction

In Part 5 of this article series, we discussed the qualities you should seek in a fantasy football commissioner. In this article, we will cover various options for generating fantasy football league revenue. Most fantasy football leagues offer some type of awards (either monetary or otherwise) to the best teams each year. In order to finance these yearly awards, you’ll need to find a way to raise a few bucks.

No single form of fund raising works for all fantasy leagues, but there are few standard practices that are well-accepted in the fantasy football community. These are tried and true systems for revenue generation and we’re certain that one of more of these methods will help you raise the desired funds to finance your league prizes.

Entry-Fees

One-time league entry-fees are far and away the best method for generating fantasy football league revenue. Most owners favor this method because it is a definite, known amount that they can plan for. Commissioners also favor this method because it requires the least amount of effort as he only has to collect one lump-sum payment from each fantasy owner.

The league entry fee can be any value, but most serious leagues charge at least $100 per team. I think this is a reasonable entry fee when you consider that this includes 16 weeks of fun-filled fantasy football enjoyment. Most commissioners do not pocket any of the entry fees (they should be running the league out of the goodness of their heart) and the funds are generally used to pay for league hosting and/or any prizes to be awarded at the end of the fantasy season.

In addition to being the most manageable system for generating league revenue, entry fees also help to eliminate unreliable fantasy owner prospects. If someone is unwilling to front $100 for the entire fantasy season, then chances are they're not interested enough to stay involved for the entire fantasy season. The more money you charge for a league entry fee, the greater chances you have for eliminating disinterested prospects, but be careful because you also don't want to make the league unaffordable for those who are generally interested.

Yet another plus for entry-fees is that they encourage league participation throughout the entire fantasy football season. By collecting money at the beginning of the season, there is an available prize pool starting at week 1. One of the things we’ll discuss in a later installment is the idea of awarding weekly cash prizes to the team with the highest point total. The idea of winning a weekly cash prize helps to ensure that all teams will remain engaged throughout the entire NFL season, even if they have been eliminated from the fantasy playoffs.

There is a natural tendency for owners to slack-off if they know they have no chance at playing for the championship. In the worst-case scenario, this could lead to their opponents getting an easy victory late in the season (a situation which would not be fair to other teams vying for a playoff spot). By awarding a weekly prize during each week of the regular season, you will encourage all teams to remain active and put their best foot forward. This will have the desired, secondary effect of ensuring that the competition remains high throughout the entire fantasy season.

Transaction-Based Fees

Some leagues implement a fund-raising system whereby fees are accrued based on user-initiated transactions such as waiver-wire pick-ups or player trades. For instance, a league may attach a $0.25 fee for each player that is pulled from the waiver-wire and/or attach a $5.00 fee to any team that participates in a player trade. These types of fees are designed to build up the cash prize awarded to the playoffs teams and league champion. While these may seem like small, insignificant charges, over the course of an entire fantasy season they can result in a very sizable pot.

I generally advise against transaction-based fees unless your league is well-established and everyone is in favor of this type of system. Collecting entry fees from participants before the season begins can be nerve-wracking in itself, even in a well-run league. However, collecting transaction-based fees at the end of a season (you generally have no other choice in this type of system since transactions occur throughout the season) is nearly impossible. The last thing you want as fantasy commissioner is to chase people around after the season has ended for money in order to pay out the league prizes. To avoid finding yourself in this precarious position, charge a fair but sizable entry-fee at the beginning of the season and avoid transaction-based fees. The end-result is largely the same and you can focus your attention on running the league and not chasing people around for money.

Passive Administration

Even in leagues where the members know each other well, many commissioners frequently have problems collecting league entry fees in a reasonable amount of time. However, there is a well-tested strategy for addressing late payment that will encourage people to pay in a timely manner: Instead of establishing a payment deadline for league-entry fees (normally Week 1 of the fantasy season), allow your owners to pay at their leisure, as long as payment is made before the league playoffs began. The catch is that any weekly prize won by an owner who has not paid their entry-fee is forfeited by that owner and added to the pot for the league champion. This accomplishes several goals:

* It punishes the delinquent owner for paying late (i.e. he gives up a weekly prize that otherwise would have been his) and hopefully serves as motivation pay as soon as possible.

* The commissioner can focus on administering the league and not chasing people around for money.

* It allows teams to pay their league fee at their leisure and 4 months is plenty of time to scrape up a few bucks.

* The champion is awarded with a larger pot at the expense of the procrastinators.

You may be wondering how you handle the situation where a team does not pay his money by the time the playoffs start. Well, if you chose your players wisely you should never run into this situation because all of your owners should be reliable. In the most extreme circumstances the last option is to kick out the delinquent owner and replace them with someone else. If they cannot pay their league entry fee by season’s end it is probably wise to replace them anyway. I have used this system in my own leagues and it has worked flawlessly with very few payments coming after week 1.

Wouldn't want to join a league where the commish didn't pay the same as everyone else but im a cheapass so.

pays the same as everyone. anything else is a joke.
Most are saying this but honestly, I have no deisre to commish...I have a plug-and-play league with first come, first served WW, but in my keep 3 MFL league the commish does a lot (including running weekly waivers...It is a small buy-in ($40), but I would have no issue giving him a pass to play for free. I play men's ice hockey and NEVER does a goalie pay-to-play...you need that individual (like a commish) and I have no issue letting him get a free buy-in for all the crap he has to deal with.

I'm guessing those of you assuming your commissioner does very little are in leagues with simple rules, 100% responsible and dedicated owners, and easily scheduled drafts / auctions.

As commissioner of a league without any of those things, I could easily justify not paying. Just scheduling our annual auction puts me in a huge hole as far as my time is concerned. I also manage our contracts system, chase down payments, collect and manage off-season rules changes, find reliable replacement owners, and manage the look and feel of our MFL site. I also send out an insane number of reminder emails during the course of the season, plus mid- season awards and write-ups.

I don't mind doing any of these things, and I don't play for free, but I would feel 100% justified in doing so. It's a lot more work than you might think.

My league mates are ungrateful greedy #####. No way do I get any tip from them. It usually takes me 2 weeks into the season to collect my last few fees.

Oh and we're a big money league of $25! :confused:

My league mates are ungrateful greedy #####. No way do I get any tip from them. It usually takes me 2 weeks into the season to collect my last few fees.Oh and we're a big money league of $25! :confused:
Use Leagesafe.com and set the autonag to daily around the first part of August. That'll get them paid up quick!

As a commish I expect to pay the same as everyone else and I've never excpected, nor would I accept a tip. If anyone expects otherwise, then maybe they should get out of the commish business. Sometimes being the commish is a pain in the butt dealing with different personalities and conflicts, but if I wasn't up to the task I wouldn't be the commish. I actually cut back from 3 to 2 leagues that I commish this year.

I didn't take money as a commish when I was calculating scores from USA Today, websites make it so much easier, I would pay the same.

We charge $1 per waivers and trades, and I keep that fee as commish. Of course, I also provide all the food and drink on draft day so I basically break even.

There is some work involved, but it would be hard to put a value on it these days.

For 11 years 0 paid to commish. With fantasy sites nothing to do now. On offline drafts (football) 2 or 3 of us enter manually afterwards. Any disputes (seldom) settled by board consisting of 3 managers (charter members of league). We have been playing FFB and FBB for 11 years now. Pretty much the same group of guys all along (9 original members). I have served as commissioner a few times as well. Not enough to it to expect monetary compensation. My two cents.

I commish a dynasty contract year league, and it's actually quite a bit of work, especially since all waivers are emailed to a dummy email and blind bids win ebay style, (1 + second highest bid). I then have to add the players, increase or decrease contract penalties, subtract snotes, etc. It works out to be about 2-3 hours each Thursday night. This is on top of scheduling draft, running the RFA month of April where ever player not on contract is up for bid. It's a ton of work year round.

I still pay the same as everyone else, and I do it simply because no one else has the time or desire to put as much work into it as it takes to run the league. Even if they offered to give me money, I wouldn't accept. I enjoy the league, and if it takes a few extra hours a week, plus the pain of scheduling a rookie draft around 10 people's schedules, then I'll gladly do it every year to keep the same 10 active guys together.

An active league is priceless. I've been in far too many where owners seem to disappear throughout the year.

I'm in basically the same situation as Spin. I commish a league that has rules that fall well outside of the confines of any websites out there, so it's still a lot of manual work. I still pay the same entry fee as everyone else, and actually pay a little more since I don't take the web hosting fees out of the prize pool (I do take the cost of MFL out though).

Knowing that the league can never fold on me is worth it for the work, no money required. I've been in too many leagues in the past where things were really good for a while until the commish went AWOL. Not having to worry about that is priceless.

I'm a commissioner and we do not pay neither does the league champ.

We also don't do this for money and the yearly fee is under $10.

Anyone who says a commish does nothing is just not looking close enough or his commish maybe does nothing.

I have to pay for the site, the trophy engraving, set the draft time and place, then spend weeks chasing down owners to tell them what's up this year. This also doesn't include trying to get votes on rule changes managing the draft order, weekly newsletters, trying to keep all owners involved and engaged, dealing with the disputes that come over waivers, trades, or playoff tiebreakers.

Another thing to consider is uploading the rosters, have you ever had to enter 18 player lineups for a 12 team league?

Now if there's a payoff then the commissioner should pay something, but if not why doesn't someone else take it over?

People have complained about the commish before and then I always nominate them for the position the following year, none have ever stepped up.

So bottom line, the commish job still requires work and unless you have a bunch of owners willing to do it they should get something.

D

Another thing to consider is uploading the rosters, have you ever had to enter 18 player lineups for a 12 team league? So bottom line, the commish job still requires work and unless you have a bunch of owners willing to do it they should get something. D
Not sure what league software you're using, all the one's I've ever used do that for you. If you don't want to do the commish job for free, then step down. I've been commishing leagues for years and the thought of asking for something never crossed my mind.

I commish two leagues and don't take fees for others but it does depend on the complexity.

My new league is a contract league so I need to manually add contracts to every drafted or waiver player.

I don't charge but if I started another few leagues like this I could see the temptation.

Users who are viewing this thread