What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joe Flacco, IND (3 Viewers)

I think we're just saying we're not ready to crown his ### like many seem to be.
Chase, are you drunk? Who are the "many" here who are trying to "crown his ###"? No one's comparing his performance yesterday to Simms in the '87 SB or some of Montana's playoff gems. And your "I'd like to see what he'd do without his OL & D" comment may well be the silliest single statement by anyone in the history of this board.Here's what Flacco has done: he's put up average to below-average NFL passing numbers for a team that hasn't asked him to do more, he's cut down on mistakes, led his team on a game-winning drive yesterday, and has been the QB for a team that's won 13 games. Can he be great, or even very good statswise? I don't know yet & neither do you. As most Ravens fans have posted over the last several weeks, we've yet to see him bring his team from behind to win and so don't know if he'll be able to do that consistently. "Potential" can be a dangerous word because we tend to project that a player will just keep getting better when he may in fact already be as good as he'll ever be. What some of us here are saying is that we can see signs with Flacco that he could be pretty good.

Or let's look at it this way: how many teams do you think wouldn't trade their QB situation for Flacco as he is right now?
Apparently 20.

I think we're just saying we're not ready to crown his ### like many seem to be.
Chase, are you drunk? Who are the "many" here who are trying to "crown his ###"? No one's comparing his performance yesterday to Simms in the '87 SB or some of Montana's playoff gems. And your "I'd like to see what he'd do without his OL & D" comment may well be the silliest single statement by anyone in the history of this board.Here's what Flacco has done: he's put up average to below-average NFL passing numbers for a team that hasn't asked him to do more, he's cut down on mistakes, led his team on a game-winning drive yesterday, and has been the QB for a team that's won 13 games. Can he be great, or even very good statswise? I don't know yet & neither do you. As most Ravens fans have posted over the last several weeks, we've yet to see him bring his team from behind to win and so don't know if he'll be able to do that consistently. "Potential" can be a dangerous word because we tend to project that a player will just keep getting better when he may in fact already be as good as he'll ever be. What some of us here are saying is that we can see signs with Flacco that he could be pretty good.

Or let's look at it this way: how many teams do you think wouldn't trade their QB situation for Flacco as he is right now?
Apparently 20.
X

I think you're confusing me with someone else -- I don't remember writing the bolded.I think the Ravens fans here are very thin skinned, and I don't know why. You wrote the exact same thing I did, yet you take great offense to my comments. He's been average to below average as a passer. But he's a rookie, and will probably be very good down the road.

I think I'm going to get out of this thread as the Ravens fans don't seem to be capable of rationally reading my comments. Best of luck in the rest of the postseason.

I think you're confusing me with someone else -- I don't remember writing the bolded.I think the Ravens fans here are very thin skinned, and I don't know why. You wrote the exact same thing I did, yet you take great offense to my comments. He's been average to below average as a passer. But he's a rookie, and will probably be very good down the road.

I think I'm going to get out of this thread as the Ravens fans don't seem to be capable of rationally reading my comments. Best of luck in the rest of the postseason.
Sorry - I attributed that quote to you when it was Whiplash who wrote that.However, you DID make the comment about people wanting to "crown" Flacco.

And I'm not thin-skinned at all, the only thing I called you out on (well, the only thing I correctly called you out on :lmao: ) was your "crown" comment. I haven't seen anyone here doing that. You're the one who seems defensive about this, jumping at shadows when there's nothing there.

Apparently 20.
X
How many?

Teams that would want Joe Flacco.

Jets-if Brett is gone

Bills- Edwards isn't doing that much more vs the rookie

Browns- New coach with some QB problems, start fresh

Bengals- IF C Palmer is done. Anybody going to argue Fitzpatrick is better?

Chiefs- Yes Thigpen is putting up fantasy numbers BUT is he better NFL wise?

Raiders- Flacco's better in the pocket- who has the better deep ball?

Titans- a ROOKIE doing the exact same thing as the 34 year old. Fisher would love this guy.

Redskins- Zorn has put a LOT of work into J Campbell. this one is ?? But worth mentioning.

Seahawks-I'm not saying a new coach would automatically want Hasselbeck gone.

I'm just saying he has that option.

49ers-Shaun Hill? really?

Rams- Just throwing this one out.

Vikings- T Jackson is getting better but how much? how fast?

Lions- Flacco would get killed just like any other QB but he wouldn't be MR turnover.

Bears- Better arm then Orton, manages the game better.

Panthers- 6 int's when the pressure is on. Delhomme is fading.

That's 15 teams. Panthers, Rams, Redskins are highly questionable calls

That would leave 20 qb's that are RIGHT NOW better then J Flacco.

That will not be the case next year.

FalconsGiants

Steelers

Chargers

Cardinals

Packers

Jaguars

Patriots

Saints

Dallas

Philadelphia

Cincinatti

Indianapolis

Houston

Denver

FalconsGiants

Steelers

Chargers

Cardinals

Packers

Jaguars

Patriots

Saints

Dallas

Philadelphia

Cincinatti

Indianapolis

Houston

Denver
Remove the Jags and Texans and it's good.Edit: Garrard didn't have a stellar season at all and I don't think Houston is sold on Schaub..

Last edited by a moderator:

FalconsGiants

Steelers

Chargers

Cardinals

Packers

Jaguars

Patriots

Saints

Dallas

Philadelphia

Cincinatti

Indianapolis

Houston

Denver
Remove the Jags and Texans and it's good.Edit: Garrard didn't have a stellar season at all and I don't think Houston is sold on Schaub..
Sounds about right.

FalconsGiants

Steelers

Chargers

Cardinals

Packers

Jaguars

Patriots

Saints

Dallas

Philadelphia

Cincinatti

Indianapolis

Houston

Denver
Sounds about right.
That assessment puts Flacco in the top half. That's a little better than "sucks."

FalconsGiants

Steelers

Chargers

Cardinals

Packers

Jaguars

Patriots

Saints

Dallas

Philadelphia

Cincinatti

Indianapolis

Houston

Denver
Sounds about right.
That assessment puts Flacco in the top half. That's a little better than "sucks."
Agreed. he doesn't stink, at this point in his career I would put him as average to slightly below average, He was a rookie from a 1-AA school thrown into the fire, and he did well all things considered. His team is in the AFC championship game. He should get better witha year under his belt.

Agreed. he doesn't stink, at this point in his career I would put him as average to slightly below average, He was a rookie from a 1-AA school thrown into the fire, and he did well all things considered. His team is in the AFC championship game. He should get better witha year under his belt.
I'd put him as above average, given his accuracy on the deep ball, plus overall poise and potential

Titans absolutely gift wrapped this game, but doesn't take away what Flacco did. He did what he had to do, when he had to do it. He also got some good help from his receivers, but he still delivered a catchable ball when it counted under pressure. Not sure what more people expect from him. He done good.
It's not about expectations. No one is saying he's not living up to expectations. I think we're just saying we're not ready to crown his ### like many seem to be. What he's doing for the Ravens, another 20 QBs in the league could be doing. That's all. It's still really impressive for a rookie, but not impressive for starting NFL QB. Were you impressed with what Dilfer did with Baltimore? Did that make him a star in your eyes?
Whoa there, hoss, all I said was he did what he was expected to do, I'm not trying to crown him as anything except one of the best rookie QBs we've ever seen. I disagree with a comparison to Dilfer as much as I disagree with a comparison to Manning, tho. Personally, I think he has more potential than you seem to, but all I'm trying to say is that he doesn't suck. I agree that today's performance was great, for a rookie, would've been mediocre for a 3-4 year vet.
:popcorn: hes not even the best rookie qb this season.
You don't have to sell me on that, just check my avatar, but to say he's not one of the best ever is selling him short, IMO. Not sure where the confusion is coming from, I said outright it would've been mediocre if it weren't for the fact that he was a rookie. I don't know if you can quantify it with stats, but the kid's won two playoff games with 0 turnovers. He, Peyton and Ben are the only QBs in the playoffs this year without a turnover, that in itself is pretty good stuff.

Jeff Pasquino said:
Chase Stuart said:
Jeff Pasquino said:
Chase Stuart said:
Jeff,If you're impressed with 11 completions by an NFL QB, that's fine. But I don't know why you would rationally think Joe Flacco would win anything if he was on 29 other teams. Flacco threw one great pass early, had one lucky pass late, and that was about it. The Ravens offense was anemic, yesterday. I get that you're a Ravens fan now, but I don't understand why your homerism would choose to think Flacco is awesome instead of the Ravens defense and Derrick Mason are awesome. Did you think Trent Dilfer was awesome in 2000? He won four playoff games.
Dude, I gave you a strong argument in a bulletized post, using quantitative and qualitative points, that Flacco was the better quarterback yesterday. You said he wasn't and Collins was.Tell me how Flacco was legitimately the second best QB playing yesterday. I don't see any rational argument that could make that case - but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and giving you a chance to explain it.
All of your questions were rhetorical.I had faith in Kerry Collins driving the Titans down the field. I had no faith in Flacco driving the Ravens down the field. Collins easily could have had one TD and Flacco easily could have had multiple TDs; just because a receiver fumbles or a DB drops a ball doesn't mean the QB did a good or bad job.To be fair, I put a bit of the blame on the Ravens OC as well. The play calling was too conservative yesterday, and if the Ravens lost, everyone would be killing that playcalling.
:goodposting:Sorry GB but this only tells me that you should retract your "2nd best QB" comment.
I tend to give the moderators and admin the benefit of the doubt when reading the boards. But it really is posts like this one that make me realize they are all subject to the same bias as any other fan.Chase - Please explain how Flacco was the 2nd best QB in that game. Please provide something other then "you had faith in the other guy". You can't. It makes you lose a lot of credibility. And I'll save you the trouble - i don't have any because i don't post much. but that doesn't change things for you.

Titans absolutely gift wrapped this game, but doesn't take away what Flacco did. He did what he had to do, when he had to do it. He also got some good help from his receivers, but he still delivered a catchable ball when it counted under pressure. Not sure what more people expect from him. He done good.
It's not about expectations. No one is saying he's not living up to expectations. I think we're just saying we're not ready to crown his ### like many seem to be. What he's doing for the Ravens, another 20 QBs in the league could be doing. That's all. It's still really impressive for a rookie, but not impressive for starting NFL QB. Were you impressed with what Dilfer did with Baltimore? Did that make him a star in your eyes?
Whoa there, hoss, all I said was he did what he was expected to do, I'm not trying to crown him as anything except one of the best rookie QBs we've ever seen. I disagree with a comparison to Dilfer as much as I disagree with a comparison to Manning, tho. Personally, I think he has more potential than you seem to, but all I'm trying to say is that he doesn't suck. I agree that today's performance was great, for a rookie, would've been mediocre for a 3-4 year vet.
:rolleyes: hes not even the best rookie qb this season.
You don't have to sell me on that, just check my avatar, but to say he's not one of the best ever is selling him short, IMO. Not sure where the confusion is coming from, I said outright it would've been mediocre if it weren't for the fact that he was a rookie. I don't know if you can quantify it with stats, but the kid's won two playoff games with 0 turnovers. He, Peyton and Ben are the only QBs in the playoffs this year without a turnover, that in itself is pretty good stuff.
:unsure:

Unibrow Joe most definitely had a bad game yesterday. Of course, the Stillers have a way of doing this to QBs. Their secondary really clamped down on the WRs and Woodley was getting pressure all night.

He's still playing it pretty close to the vest. I'm anxious to see if he improves next year.

:) hes not even the best rookie qb this season.
:hifive:
Can't remember now who stands on which side of this debate, so I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but in either case, Joe certainly made up for the turnovers in that game. Still a great rookie season, we'll see how he progresses in the next couple of years.

@RoobCSN: Most playoff wins, first 5 seasons: Tom Brady (9), Ben Roethlisberger (8), Joe Flacco (7), Troy Aikman (6). Still wanna rip the guy?

Joe Flacco has a 120.0 quarterback rating in the playoffs this year. 5 TDs, 0 INTs, 613 yards in 2 games.

QB ratings aside, did anyone really think he looked good on those two fluke TD passes? Both of those plays should have been easy INTs, but he just rocketed it in and Torrey Smith managed to outposition Champ despite tight coverage on the first one. Second one we know could have been prevented by Rahim Moore. If he has 1 TD & 2 INT I think this thread's tone is a bit different today. Congratulations to him for trusting his receivers and getting fortunate outcomes on that play, but he could have easily had a day with less than 200 yards passing a bunch of turnovers.Joe Flacco plays way too risky for my tastes.

You can hate Flacco all you want. All he does is win some big games. He's got one of the best records in post-season of all QBs. No I do not think he is elite. But he ain't no dog either. Good catches by WRs do help a QB. But putting the ball where they can make a play is a big part of the formula too. So if you wanna sour grape him to death- and be jealous because the Ravens are again deep into the playoffs, then go right ahead an show your ignorance. I LOVE rooting for them. They are a class organization despite all the hate spewed by fools like y'all. GO RAVENS!!!!

QB ratings aside, did anyone really think he looked good on those two fluke TD passes? Both of those plays should have been easy INTs, but he just rocketed it in and Torrey Smith managed to outposition Champ despite tight coverage on the first one. Second one we know could have been prevented by Rahim Moore. If he has 1 TD & 2 INT I think this thread's tone is a bit different today. Congratulations to him for trusting his receivers and getting fortunate outcomes on that play, but he could have easily had a day with less than 200 yards passing a bunch of turnovers.Joe Flacco plays way too risky for my tastes.
wtf does Flacco have to do? He's not always consistent, true, but in playoff games, he puts his team in position to win by not turning the ball over and making enough plays to win the game. Putting the ball where a receiver can make a play, even if he's not open, is the sign of a good QB. That last bomb was a testament to his arm strength. As Jaws noted, the ball came in at a much higher arc than most QBs would throw, that threw the Denver DB off as the ball kind of dropped out of the sky. Flacco is certainly not elite, but he certainly does not suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ravens were on their own 30, down 7, with 40 seconds and no timeouts left. How do you define too risky in that situation?

1st long TD was a PERFECT ball. Champ had good coverage, Flacco hit Smith exactly in stride. No way that is an INT. It's a play any other QB would be praised for. I bet that's one of Dilfer's Dimes!The second one was blown coverage. Jacoby was pretty far downfield before Flacco threw the ball. It wasn't in stride. It's couldn't be because by the time Joe got in a position to throw Jones was pretty far down the field. Flacco has always had a cannon. His deep ball skills are a strength. He played well yesterday.

At this point I think we have to take the "kind of sucks" label off Flacco. May not be elite, but at the very least I'd put him in the "pretty good" category.

'finito said:
At this point I think we have to take the "kind of sucks" label off Flacco. May not be elite, but at the very least I'd put him in the "pretty good" category.
Pretty good is fair. Definitely top 3rd of the league. He reminds me of Eli in the sense that he's a mind numbing roller coaster of inconsistency during the regular season, and then some how pulls a little magic out of his butt in the playoffs. IMO, if you look a little closer however, Flacco is just winging it like Flacco does. It's the other guys on the team stepping it up.

'Raider Nation said:
I'm not sure why everyone is all over Flacco's nutz like he is the franchise QB Baltimore has all but dreamed of. The guy has almost as many INT's as TD's and one of the worst passer rating in the league....
:popcorn:
lol @ the username.
I was looking for a Flacco thread to bump. The fact that this thread was started by "DenverBroncos" was icing on the cake.

'Mohawk said:
You can hate Flacco all you want. All he does is win some big games. He's got one of the best records in post-season of all QBs.
And he's in the Super Bowl last year if DUMMY Lee Evans covers up that ball he caught in the end zone.(Yeah, I'm still bitter... had a big bet on the Ravens to win the game) :hot:

Whats his record in road playoff games now? Wow I think its time for people to leave him alone. It wont always be pretty and hell never be elite with a completion % below 60 but you gotta respect his track record. Matt ryan also showed a ton this year.

I think Flacco is a pretty darn good QB but we may never see how good he can be because he is not asked to pass his team to wins. Maybe the team evolves and he is asked to do more but he has not really grown statistically, he just keeps chugging along.

I think Flacco is a pretty darn good QB but we may never see how good he can be because he is not asked to pass his team to wins. Maybe the team evolves and he is asked to do more but he has not really grown statistically, he just keeps chugging along.
So how did the Ravens win their last two games at Denver and New England? Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread