What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joe Flacco, IND (3 Viewers)

Can't deny that Flacco is gulping from the fountain of youth and his playing his best football ever, even when he won the SB. Some of the yardage is inflated on mis-coverages, tackles, etc. but that happens to all QB's. Even yesterday, he had to thrown on 4th down due to Hopkins being injured which added to his totals.

Against the Jets next week, this will be the real test. Only one QB has thrown for 3 TD's against them this year and I don't think they have given up a 300 yard passer.

I think this will be low scoring game that CLE wins. Flacco may have at stat line of 225 yards and a TD. If he goes off, we will all be searching for that fountain.
Fountain searching time.

Can't deny that Flacco is gulping from the fountain of youth and his playing his best football ever, even when he won the SB. Some of the yardage is inflated on mis-coverages, tackles, etc. but that happens to all QB's. Even yesterday, he had to thrown on 4th down due to Hopkins being injured which added to his totals.

Against the Jets next week, this will be the real test. Only one QB has thrown for 3 TD's against them this year and I don't think they have given up a 300 yard passer.

I think this will be low scoring game that CLE wins. Flacco may have at stat line of 225 yards and a TD. If he goes off, we will all be searching for that fountain.
Fountain searching time.
I agree. I even benched him tonight in my Superflex. First QB to throw for over 300 yards in 33 games. Looks like Flacco could be a league winner, but not for me.

Six Flacco copies in our league. None started and three dropped at kickoff (last week of season so opens a roster spot for blocking)

We are seeing what he's doing now.

When you look back at last season with the Jets he opened the year throwing for 309,307 and 285 with 5 TD's total vs 2 picks. Played in the season finale and did not do much that last game is weird and I can't even remember who played or had checked out so I'm going to cherry pick and dismiss that game.

Then he had one game the previous season he started and threw for 291 and 2 TD's.

Removing that season finale game his last 4 starts before this year he averaged 298 passing yards, 1.75 TD with and .75 ints.

Maybe that's just empty stats to the people who run teams. His teams record was 1-3 in those games and they only broke 20 points once.

Still he's a Super Bowl winning QB (who had a great post-season-not just along for the ride) who has shown he can run an offense which begs the question I'm sure myself and many others have been thinking which is specifically why did the Jets not try and resign him after Rodgers got hurt? But really that's letting most of the rest of the league off the hook, the teams throwing out the Devito's and AOC's of the world on us for sure. Nice stories, sorry QB's. How could Flacco just be sitting around all year with these QB injuries just baffles me. Is he a hard guy to work with or something?

I was thinking before last nights game that the Jets seem to use the Rodgers and injured/bad OL as a crutch. Well....the Browns dealt with an injury to their QB, most of their OL and they just keep on winning including a game they were without and then lost their two top WR's.

Is he a hard guy to work with or something?
He got a little punky when Baltimore started inserting Lamar Jackson into games in 2018, but he didn't go to the media with it or throw tantrums. You could tell by his body language (and not throwing to a wide-open Lamar against Pittsburgh) that he knew it was over. On the other hand - that same year in the playoffs when Jackson was not having a good game - Harbaugh asked Flacco if he thought he should replace Lamar and Flacco said something like "he's our best chance of winning".

From all accounts I've ever seen by his Ravens teammates, they loved him.

He got a little punky when Baltimore started inserting Lamar Jackson into games in 2018, but he didn't go to the media with it or throw tantrums. You could tell by his body language (and not throwing to a wide-open Lamar against Pittsburgh) that he knew it was over. On the other hand - that same year in the playoffs when Jackson was not having a good game - Harbaugh asked Flacco if he thought he should replace Lamar and Flacco said something like "he's our best chance of winning".

Yeah, the folks here in the Baltimore area love Flacco and he is a sure fire ring of honor inductee as soon as he is Really retired. When he is inducted expect a bunch of the old timers- Reed, Lewis, Ogden, Rice(?)- to show up to celebrate with him.

"That's My quarterback!"- T-Sizzle

PS- "I effing hate Tom Brady"-also T-Sizzle

Crazy that he could take this Browns team to a SB win and still not be the Browns starting QB next season.

This parallels Dilfer 2000.
In an alternate universe, the jets call him after Rodgers got injured (or kept him instead of Zach). I wonder what if Joe had been the jets QB this year.
I liked Saleh enough but he’s clearly outcoached by many including Stefanski

Yeah, the folks here in the Baltimore area love Flacco and he is a sure fire ring of honor inductee as soon as he is Really retired. When he is inducted expect a bunch of the old timers- Reed, Lewis, Ogden, Rice(?)- to show up to celebrate with him.

"That's My quarterback!"- T-Sizzle

PS- "I effing hate Tom Brady"-also T-Sizzle
I still think his postseason the year they won is the best I've ever seen of any qb.

Have the Browns found their QB of the future?

I was joking when I wrote this, but I do think it's clear that Flacco is better than Watson at this point, I wonder if the Browns are able to admit they were wrong and find a way to keep Flacco over Watson next year. With their defense Flacco makes them legit contenders (never thought I'd say that). Also, Flacco could be a decent bridge for a couple years while they try to find/develop their next QB.

Last edited:

I was joking when I wrote this, but I do think it's clear that Flacco is better than Watson at this point, I wonder if the Browns are able to admit they were wrong and find a way to keep Flacco over Watson next year. With their defense Flacco makes them legit contenders (never thought I'd say that). Also, Flacco could be a decent bridge for a couple years while they try to find/develop their next QB.

I think it’s reasonable to expect Flacco to be on the Browns roster next year.

But I would still expect Watson to be the starter in week 1 unless Flacco takes the Browns to at least the AFC championship game or beyond.

Ownership stuck it out with Manziel way too long and kept Hue Jackson after an 0-16 season. Watson will not be going anywhere.

Ownership stuck it out with Manziel way too long and kept Hue Jackson after an 0-16 season. Watson will not be going anywhere.
They either don’t understand the concept of sunk costs or their ego is too big to embrace it.

Winning with Flacco despite making a major mistake with Watson seems like the AFC version of the 49ers winning with Purdy despite making a major mistake with Lance.

But I would still expect Watson to be the starter in week 1 unless Flacco takes the Browns to at least the AFC championship game or beyond.
Flacco will be the opening day starter for someone else next year.

If Flacco wins the Super Bowl you think Cleveland goes back to Deshaun as the starter?

What do you think the fan bases reaction would be to that?

This is what I have been wondering
I picked him up in my SF league as my qb's were dropping like flies.

He has played amazing for his age and inactivity, will someone give him another starting gig or just as a backup

Damar Hamlin: comes back from the dead.
Joe Flacco: gets off of his couch

I know Flacco did Yeomans work out there, but cmon.

cmon man... it's football. can we not celebrate the guy who came back and big peepee'd the league for weeks on end, after being written off as dead (in another sense)

hamlin is a great story, but 2 tackles doesnt make for much beyond we're happy he's back and alive.

we already lost the MVP award to QBs only.... let's keep something legit.

cmon man... it's football. can we not celebrate the guy who came back and big peepee'd the league for weeks on end, after being written off as dead (in another sense)

hamlin is a great story, but 2 tackles doesnt make for much beyond we're happy he's back and alive.

Purdy deserved it over Flacco.

I agree here. I'm happy Hamlin has a life and career. But just the fact alone doesn't make him CPOY in my eyes.

But just the fact alone doesn't make him CPOY in my eyes.
What about Purdy blowing out his elbow and coming back to lead the MVP race until XMas, and take his team to the SB?

Flacco still more deserving?
I dunno. I think the Comeback thing is more than just "this guy got injured last year and now he is great this year" unless they were already an established player (See Manning/Brady/Gronkowski)

Purdy is a great story don't get me wrong, but its a weird award anyway. I wouldn't be mad if he had won it. Less mad than Geno Smith winning it last year who came back from.....sucking his entire career?

Also its hilarious to a degree that the award didn't exist from 1967-1997 as well, so we don't have a ton of track record of "what it means" in my opinion as well.

What about Purdy blowing out his elbow and coming back to lead the MVP race until XMas, and take his team to the SB?

I dunno. I think the Comeback thing is more than just "this guy got injured last year and now he is great this year" unless they were already an established player (See Manning/Brady/Gronkowski)

Purdy is a great story don't get me wrong, but its a weird award anyway. I wouldn't be mad if he had won it. Less mad than Geno Smith winning it last year who came back from.....sucking his entire career?

Also its hilarious to a degree that the award didn't exist from 1967-1997 as well, so we don't have a ton of track record of "what it means" in my opinion as well.
I agree about Geno, but Flacco in a similar boat.

What did he come back from? Dude wasn’t signed by anyone because the league thought he was washed.

And it’s not like he was Joe Montana before that.

So he “came back” from…unemployment?

Sorry but Purdy’s way more deserving.

What did he come back from? Dude wasn’t signed by anyone because the league thought he was washed.

That's fine. Its definitely an inexact science. And as far as Purdy "not winning" the award, I'm sure there will be a lot of SF folks from possibly the Owner on down to the fans that will complain about this. Seems to be what they do haha.

All in all, its probably the most minor of all the awards so its not really a huge deal.

That's fine. Its definitely an inexact science. And as far as Purdy "not winning" the award, I'm sure there will be a lot of SF folks from possibly the Owner on down to the fans that will complain about this. Seems to be what they do haha.

All in all, its probably the most minor of all the awards so its not really a huge deal.
A case could be made for Breece Hall as well.

Winning with the Browns was more impressive than coming back from the dead 😂

Alex Smith won a few years ago coming back from his injury, playing like garbage in only 6 games. The precedent was set for what the award means.

Then again….who really cares

ProFootballTalk’s Mike Florio reports the Browns and Joe Flacco have discussed a reunion for the 2024 season.

Florio says a league source informed him of a potential reunion, saying Flacco “loves playing [in Cleveland] and that the two sides met last week to discuss the matter. Flacco was named 2023’s NFL Comeback Player of the Year after throwing for 1616-13-8 in five games while helping lead the Browns to the postseason. His all-or-nothing style of play bolstered the fantasy stocks of Amari Cooper and David Njoku during his brief stint with the team but also came with a lot of turnovers. Still, Flacco would immediately be the second-best quarterback on Cleveland’s roster if he were to return for 2024, and would be a reliable backup should Deshaun Watson struggle and/or miss time.

Colts signed QB Joe Flacco to a one-year, $8.7 million contract.
The Colts were in need of a viable backup quarterback following the departure of Gardner Minshew, landing on the veteran Joe Flacco. $4.5 million of the $8.7 million contract is guaranteed. Flacco could be charged with a starting role early in the season pending the rehab of second-year quarterback Anthony Richardson, but it is likely we see Flacco in a backup role for most of the season. Even so, recent history has proven the need for a proficient backup quarterback at the NFL level and Flacco also brings the veteran presence to aid in the development of Richardson along the way.

I hoped for a better end to this story. Maybe Watson traded but that would be impossible. It's just...it would have been more fun

I hoped for a better end to this story. Maybe Watson traded but that would be impossible. It's just...it would have been more fun
If Richardson hasn’t learned to slide more and avoid big hits, Flacco’s story may not be over.

Reactions: Bri
Excellent Minshew replacement. Decent backup QB.
I'd call it an upgrade. I don't think Steichen is getting enough credit for managing a below average QB in Minshew to a passable season. Then again, I'm of the belief if Richardson doesn't go down, the Colts win the division last year.

Users who are viewing this thread