What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (8 Viewers)

I have no idea how it'll play out, but I think Hank can get around this "it'll look like he was in on it" business.

The key, of course, is to bring his suspicions back to the DEA without wasting time and before he goes to Walt. If anyone else suspects Walt before Hank brings it up, then he might be screwed.

But if Hank brings it to the DEA (a case everyone else wanted to give up on dozens of times), launches a proper investigation, and slaps the bracelets on Walt himself, he really doesn't have anything to worry about, professionally or legally, imo.

Of course, we know it won't play out so smoothly, but as he sits on the can, he does have the chance to do it right. As long as he doesn't hesitate, but we know he probably will.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Walt's daughter ingests the ricin...or dies some other way...

That would be terrible. It would take a show that is already dark and plunge it into total blackness. I really hope the writers don't go there.

Well - I think Lilly is going to ingest the Ricin and all hell will break lose. I also think Hank may break bad as well and become the new Mike. That, or he will quit his job and return to a simpler time of marking trees.
Whose Lilly? And no, Hank has now got his laser sites on Walt
Lilly, Holly...WFC? Walt's daughter.
Dude, there is another character called Lydia who it looked like Walt was going to use the Ricin on, remember? :rolleyes:

He's got the cancer again as well?
Could go either way. Either cancer scenario, gone or back, probably would've factored into his "What the 'eff am I doing, I should enjoy what's left of life" epiphany.
I took that he punched the smashed up paper towel dispenser that they showed in the bathroom scene just after they showed him getting the cat scan. Thought this meant he got the bad news then.
He smashed up the paper towel dispenser in the past.

I am no shrinking violet by any means, but the prison montage was a lot to handle. The quick, intense violence, like being stabbed 50 times in 15 seconds was more than I felt comfortable watching. Just showing the sheer brutality of man, and the pointlessness of the whole thing, presumably men with families, Walter white has shown there are no depths he will not plumb. He said the same thing about Mike's guys that he said about mike, "there was no other choice."

Bull ####, men with souls and a conscience always have a choice.

So pissed we have to wait 10 months for the next one.

I have no idea how it'll play out, but I think Hank can get around this "it'll look like he was in on it" business.The key, of course, is to bring his suspicions back to the DEA without wasting time and before he goes to Walt. If anyone else suspects Walt before Hank brings it up, then he might be screwed.But if Hank brings it to the DEA (a case everyone else wanted to give up on dozens of times), launches a proper investigation, and slaps the bracelets on Walt himself, he really doesn't have anything to worry about, professionally or legally, imo.
I'm not so sure that Hank busting Walt would immediately erase any suspicion about prior activity. Walt could just say "Hank is dirty but he turned on me because we had a dispute over money" or something like that. It just seems to me like Walt could make his story more plausible than the truth. Because the truth seems pretty far-fetched -- "Yes, I'm an awesome detective and I've been obsessed with this case for over a year, but I didn't realize that the guy I was looking for was my brother-in-law the chemistry expert who was acting all strange and would disappear for long stretches and suddenly had tons of money. Oh yeah, I also knew that this Jesse guy was involved in the drug ring somehow and that he had some sort of relationship with my brother-in-law, but that didn't tip me off either. Yes, I voluntarily shared details about the case with my brother-in-law just to get his opinion, and he seemed really interested, but that didn't really strike me as unusual either. Oh yeah, I also had my brother-in-law take me on stakeouts and stuff while I was incapacitated. Yeah, he used his new wealth to pay for my physical therapy but I thought insurance was paying for it."

If Walt's daughter ingests the ricin...or dies some other way...That would be terrible. It would take a show that is already dark and plunge it into total blackness. I really hope the writers don't go there.
It's possible, maybe she's one of those babies that knows how to operate a screwdriver.

If Walt's daughter ingests the ricin...or dies some other way...That would be terrible. It would take a show that is already dark and plunge it into total blackness. I really hope the writers don't go there.
It's possible, maybe she's one of those babies that knows how to operate a screwdriver.
They did show her learning to walk this week. More support for my theory that the ricin will get discovered by somebody baby-proofing the outlets.

That vile you are talking about is what I thought Hank would find inside a light switch that somehow was loose but instead he finds the book. I do believe that item will pop up again, they have made a point to show us it several times. I was happy Jesse got paid but you also realize he will eventually be the person that has to take Walt down. Did Walt admit he killed Mike and the crew to Jesse? Jesse looked like he was expecting Walt to come in and kill him, hence the gun in his back pocket.

I have no idea how it'll play out, but I think Hank can get around this "it'll look like he was in on it" business.The key, of course, is to bring his suspicions back to the DEA without wasting time and before he goes to Walt. If anyone else suspects Walt before Hank brings it up, then he might be screwed.But if Hank brings it to the DEA (a case everyone else wanted to give up on dozens of times), launches a proper investigation, and slaps the bracelets on Walt himself, he really doesn't have anything to worry about, professionally or legally, imo.
I'm not so sure that Hank busting Walt would immediately erase any suspicion about prior activity. Walt could just say "Hank is dirty but he turned on me because we had a dispute over money" or something like that. It just seems to me like Walt could make his story more plausible than the truth. Because the truth seems pretty far-fetched -- "Yes, I'm an awesome detective and I've been obsessed with this case for over a year, but I didn't realize that the guy I was looking for was my brother-in-law the chemistry expert who was acting all strange and would disappear for long stretches and suddenly had tons of money. Oh yeah, I also knew that this Jesse guy was involved in the drug ring somehow and that he had some sort of relationship with my brother-in-law, but that didn't tip me off either. Yes, I voluntarily shared details about the case with my brother-in-law just to get his opinion, and he seemed really interested, but that didn't really strike me as unusual either. Oh yeah, I also had my brother-in-law take me on stakeouts and stuff while I was incapacitated. Yeah, he used his new wealth to pay for my physical therapy but I thought insurance was paying for it."
All of those things are certainly a consideration and will come into play as Hank decides his next step.I'm just saying the hesitation will be the larger problem, not what's already occurred. Even if he knew about the PT money, this really shouldn't be much of a dilemma. There are complications, but there are 2 things we can be reasonably certain of:1. Walter will get caught at some point2. If it's not Hank leading the charge, he's in a world of ####.The only option is to come clean at the DEA right now. It's the cover-up that gets you screwed. Hank hasn't covered anything up yet. The cover-up only begins when Hank doesn't take his new info/suspicions straight to work with him. It's cemented if goes to Walt first with his suspicions. Once that happens, playing this thing clean is no longer an option.Of course, that won't happen. It's TV. In TV land, people always make a minor move to put themselves at risk legally and are then bound to stay in bed with the criminal.They always turn the complication into a problem they can't get out of. So, I assume that's what Hank will do.I'm sure Hank will tell Marie, who will then disclose the PT money. Then Hank will hesitate on his next move. Not sure if he'll go to Walt first, but he probably will. Either way, someone else will connect Walt before Hank discloses what he knows. Then he'll be screwed.Hopefully, BB's is above that, but I'd still bet that's how it goes down.

there are 2 things we can be reasonably certain of:1. Walter will get caught at some point2. If it's not Hank leading the charge, he's in a world of ####.
I think as viewers we know that Walt's going down hard. But I'm not sure Hank is in a position to know that for sure. He's been the only one keeping this investigation going. If he stops pursuing it maybe Walt won't get caught. Especially if he believes that Walt is really out of the business now.

When I saw the G.B. in the Leaves of Grass book, it got me thinking on how Walt will try to explain who G.B. is to Hank.

Good Buddy?

Gretchen (if her last name started with a B before marrying Elliot)

A teacher or staff member from the school he taught at that had the initials G.B.?

Some random dude in his life

Of course, Hank should be able to see through it no matter what Walt says.

When I saw the G.B. in the Leaves of Grass book, it got me thinking on how Walt will try to explain who G.B. is to Hank.Good Buddy?Gretchen (if her last name started with a B before marrying Elliot)A teacher or staff member from the school he taught at that had the initials G.B.?Some random dude in his lifeOf course, Hank should be able to see through it no matter what Walt says.
If Hank approaches him about it directly, I think Walt has to just fess up. They've already had the conversation about the exact same thing that was in Gail's stuff.

Jesse will be after him because Walt will kill Mike (and he'll finally figure out all the things Walt has done to him).

The DEA will be after him because Hank will figure out he is Heisenberg.
Now this is what I'm talking about.As far as the second part is concerned...

The one question I've had since season 1 is what the hell happens if Hank figures out Walt = Heisenberg? Hank's career has to be over. He will either look totally complicit or totally inept when it is discovered that his brother-in-law was the guy he was looking for all along.
:popcorn:
It won't end this way because it's not exciting enough, but (work with me here)...When Hank finally has enough to piece it all together, and Walt concedes that he has him dead to rights, couldn't he just explain that he panicked after the cancer diagnosis and did the only thing he could think of to provide for his family after he's gone? Obviously, he'll skip over the part about having a hand in countless murders. But would Hank really send his BIL to jail if the sob story is convincing enough?

Or does Hank KNOW that "Heisenberg" has a body count on him?
Our conclusions are close. Hank will have to choose on sending Walt to prison forever or he gives Walt a free pass because he will look like a total incompetent and his compassion for Walt having cancer. Now how that ties in from what we saw in the look ahead of episode 1 I have no idea. I am going to lose my mind waiting to find out though.

Wait...how come we aren't talking about Hank having a light come on?Surely it can't be that simple that he suddenly is taking a #### and realizes walter is the guy. It has to be something else that occurred to him...?
Hank is good. And Hank still has a hard on for Gale. What bugged me a little is the book was in the Master Bedroom bathroom. What was Hank doing going in there?
Dropping a deuce of course.

I was thinking that the baby was going to fall in the pool at the end or some other "horror" so that Walt would have to get back in the game.

hank will turn on walt but walt isn't out like he told skyler he was, he's also got the cancer back and didn't tell that either. so in his mind he's going to die but he's going to keep his empire to the end, presumably to pass it on to either jesse or todd. he'll do everything he can to fool skyler but hank will be quietly building his case agains walt. near the end walt will confront hank, skyler will figure out walts not out, todd will turn out to be part of the declan group, and all hell will break loose, but ultimately i think walt dies alone like Mike did, either in a hospice or in a murder, but no family or friends
I generally agree with this. I think the empire's being built for Jesse. Walt is playing the long game to get him back into it. No way that Walt's business partners would be ok with him leaving the business for three months without a replacement, so there has to be more to the story than that.

When I saw the G.B. in the Leaves of Grass book, it got me thinking on how Walt will try to explain who G.B. is to Hank.

Good Buddy?

Gretchen (if her last name started with a B before marrying Elliot)

A teacher or staff member from the school he taught at that had the initials G.B.?

Some random dude in his life

Of course, Hank should be able to see through it no matter what Walt says.
There will be no explanation needed. He still has Gale's enormous notebook. It will take little effort to match Gale's handwriting in the notebook to his printing in the book.

Just processing the episode on a hungover holiday afternoon. It makes a lot of sense as to why Hank won't just rush in and confront Walt or hand over the info to the DEA. Is this when he finally breaks bad? Hank has been one of the few/only main characters who still has a clean sheet.

Just processing the episode on a hungover holiday afternoon. It makes a lot of sense as to why Hank won't just rush in and confront Walt or hand over the info to the DEA. Is this when he finally breaks bad? Hank has been one of the few/only main characters who still has a clean sheet.
Other than caving in Pinkman's face?

Hank will have to choose on sending Walt to prison forever or he gives Walt a free pass because he will look like a total incompetent and his compassion for Walt having cancer.
That doesn't sound like a difficult choice for Hank. I don't think Hank will have any compassion for Heisenberg after all the damage he's done, including ten recent murders. Cancer won't enter into it. And I get the sense that Hank cares more about doing his job well than he does about appearances. If he's judged incompetent, that will hurt; but the prospect is no good reason for him to turn dirty.

Totally justified. Not legally of course, but enough that it doesn't make him "bad".

Totally justified. Not legally of course, but enough that it doesn't make him "bad".
:yes: :streetjustice:However, I don't think the DEA would look at it the same way.

Yeah, I assume the first step will be to do some surveillance of his own to be a little more sure Walt is cooking. There's no benefit in letting Walt know what he knows.

Although I disagree, he also won't see any benefit in telling anyone at the DEA yet either.

I highly doubt Hank "breaks bad"*. Let Walt slide if he thinks he'll stop, maybe (but I doubt it).

Finding Heisenberg drives him. Walt needed to break bad to have a reason to get up in the morning. Hank just found a huge clue in the quest that motivates him everyday.

It's complicated, of course, but my hunch is that Hank is actually more motivated to catch Heisenberg now than he was before his fateful dump.

His little pissant brother in law has basically been mocking him for the past year (not to mention almost getting him killed on a few occasions and fired).

*Unless breaking bad means killing Walt. I think there's a decent chance of that (could be the simplest, best solution). But take his money to shut up? Not a chance.

the prison killing monntage really bugged me. just brutal, like something you'd see in a slasher flicck
I think that's good. It drove home exactly what Walt has become, in contrast to the almost tender moment he had with Skyler when he said he's out and the happy family BBQ at the end. At every turn in his meth career there have been lives lost for his continued survival/success and he's rationalized along the way. Best to have the most brutal reminder in there before his final act when now the deaths are going to come from or be done to his family. He will reap what he sowed. This is why FX, AMC, HBO and Showtime have the best shows, because they can push the edge like network tv can't. I just wish they paid regular rates for the crew instead of crappy cable tv rates. HBO and Showtime have started to but the crew gets jobbed on all these breakout super rating cable shows.

the prison killing monntage really bugged me. just brutal, like something you'd see in a slasher flicck
I think that's good. It drove home exactly what Walt has become, in contrast to the almost tender moment he had with Skyler when he said he's out and the happy family BBQ at the end. At every turn in his meth career there have been lives lost for his continued survival/success and he's rationalized along the way. Best to have the most brutal reminder in there before his final act when now the deaths are going to come from or be done to his family. He will reap what he sowed. This is why FX, AMC, HBO and Showtime have the best shows, because they can push the edge like network tv can't. I just wish they paid regular rates for the crew instead of crappy cable tv rates. HBO and Showtime have started to but the crew gets jobbed on all these breakout super rating cable shows.
I thought it was awesome. I wish more music videos told stories like these Breaking Bad montages. I think my favorite one is still Jesse and his crew making it rain at da club.

*Unless breaking bad means killing Walt. I think there's a decent chance of that (could be the simplest, best solution). But take his money to shut up? Not a chance.
Agree, can't see Hank coming to terms with Walt after all he's been through trying to find Heisenburg. I still think Walt ends up in hospice care alone, chained to the bed, fade to black [/show]

Yeah, I assume the first step will be to do some surveillance of his own to be a little more sure Walt is cooking. There's no benefit in letting Walt know what he knows.

Although I disagree, he also won't see any benefit in telling anyone at the DEA yet either.

I highly doubt Hank "breaks bad"*. Let Walt slide if he thinks he'll stop, maybe (but I doubt it).

Finding Heisenberg drives him. Walt needed to break bad to have a reason to get up in the morning. Hank just found a huge clue in the quest that motivates him everyday.

It's complicated, of course, but my hunch is that Hank is actually more motivated to catch Heisenberg now than he was before his fateful dump.

His little pissant brother in law has basically been mocking him for the past year (not to mention almost getting him killed on a few occasions and fired).

Yes, what I said previously echoes your sentiments I just feel after he busts or confronts him, Walt will have some story hatched that makes him think twice to save his career/life :popcorn:

Hank will have to choose on sending Walt to prison forever or he gives Walt a free pass because he will look like a total incompetent and his compassion for Walt having cancer.
That doesn't sound like a difficult choice for Hank. I don't think Hank will have any compassion for Heisenberg after all the damage he's done, including ten recent murders. Cancer won't enter into it. And I get the sense that Hank cares more about doing his job well than he does about appearances. If he's judged incompetent, that will hurt; but the prospect is no good reason for him to turn dirty.
I don't think Hank would be concerned about the appearance of incompetence. I do think Hank would be concerned about the appearance that he knew about it all along and was possibly helping Walt.

I don't think Hank would be concerned about the appearance of incompetence. I do think Hank would be concerned about the appearance that he knew about it all along and was possibly helping Walt.
exactly...he's going to look like the village idiot at the DEA if this is revealed

Yes, what I said previously echoes your sentiments I just feel after he busts or confronts him, Walt will have some story hatched that makes him think twice to save his career/life :popcorn:
Makes since. I'm sure Walt will do something like that.Another factor I wasn't really thinking of is Skyler.

If Skyler won't flip, Hank's dilemma is even more difficult. I don't think Hank would do anything that risked Skyler going to prison and obviously Marie do anything she could to prevent it from happening (no more handy's, for sure).

Hank really needs Sklyer to try to buy herself some immunity. I assume she would (if jail was the other option), but she clearly doesn't want to send Flynn/Holly's daddy to jail.

Poor Hank. I really hope he takes this ******* down.

'beer 302 said:
'pollardsvision said:
Agree, can't see Hank coming to terms with Walt after all he's been through trying to find Heisenburg. I still think Walt ends up in hospice care alone, chained to the bed, fade to black [/show]
No chance that Walt dies slow. Just think back to the opening scene of the series.

'beer 302 said:
'pollardsvision said:
No chance that Walt dies slow. Just think back to the opening scene of the series.
:yes:

'Major said:
'Wrighteous Ray said:
exactly...he's going to look like the village idiot at the DEA if this is revealed
Yeah, considering they fired his boss because he let Gus teach him how to grill chicken, I can only imagine what they'll do to Hank if he lets the truth come out.

'pollardsvision said:
'Major said:
'pollardsvision said:
'Major said:

Makes since. I'm sure Walt will do something like that.Another factor I wasn't really thinking of is Skyler.

If Skyler won't flip, Hank's dilemma is even more difficult. I don't think Hank would do anything that risked Skyler going to prison and obviously Marie do anything she could to prevent it from happening (no more handy's, for sure).

Hank really needs Sklyer to try to buy herself some immunity. I assume she would (if jail was the other option), but she clearly doesn't want to send Flynn/Holly's daddy to jail.

I do think if Hank lets this slip to Marie, then Marie could turn Skyler freshly against Walt and it may become so out in the open that even Walt Jr. knows. Walt, now alienated and with no family, tries to go back into the business and some lead takes him east. He's then gunned down by a bigger meth developer/distributor in pretty much obscurity.ETA: Not sure how Jesse works into this though other than a gradual growth into leading a normal, nice life - which is probably anti-climactic.

'pollardsvision said:
'Major said:
'pollardsvision said:
'Major said:

Maybe in the course of his investigation, Hank finds out about the girlfriend's kid being poisoned by the plant, which is now missing from Walt's back yard, and uses that info. to try to get Jesse to flip on Walt. I could see how that would set Jesse off on a collision course with Walt for the finale.

'pollardsvision said:
'Major said:
'pollardsvision said:
'Major said:

I do think if Hank lets this slip to Marie, then Marie could turn Skyler freshly against Walt and it may become so out in the open that even Walt Jr. knows. Walt, now alienated and with no family, tries to go back into the business and some lead takes him east. He's then gunned down by a bigger meth developer/distributor in pretty much obscurity.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but we have no proof or reason to believe that Walt was actually back east other than what he told the waitress during a conversation in which he had zero reason to be telling the truth, right? I just assumed from that scene that he was just giving lip service to hide his whereabouts to a potential witness. If you're a meth drug lord and can get an M60 delivered to you, getting a car with out of state plates couldn't be that hard. Did anyone else think that New Hampshire was just a story, or are we accepting it as truth?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but we have no proof or reason to believe that Walt was actually back east other than what he told the waitress during a conversation in which he had zero reason to be telling the truth, right? I just assumed from that scene that he was just giving lip service to hide his whereabouts to a potential witness. If you're a meth drug lord and can get an M60 delivered to you, getting a car with out of state plates couldn't be that hard. Did anyone else think that New Hampshire was just a story, or are we accepting it as truth?
I've always assumed that was TBD for us viewers. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

Someone mentioned earlier, maybe it was in the review RN posted, that they were worried that the drawn out trip from one end of the pool to the table to get sunscreen was going to end with a drowning or some other tragedy that puts Walt's seeming contented retirement in jeopardy. I think this was a deliberate attempt to get the audience thinking that because it's a fairly possible occurrence in mainstream network TV, but BB rarely relies on such random conventions (other than Walt overhearing stuff at the DEA station, which we can now presume wasn't deliberately done by Hank to "test" Walt). I was however, expecting the tyke to somehow walk over and sample the sweet tasting Lily of the Valley which would be somewhat poetic.

Here's a prediction for all the Jr/Skylar/Marie haters, at least 2 of them will win Emmys or Golden Globes for their final half season of reacting to the dawning horror of what their beloved father figure has done. Skylar has an idea, but I think the body count is a little unknown to her or she's suppressing it. BTW, thanks to whoever posted the link to the body count periodic table. My guess is RJ Mitte sweeps the awards.

'Raider Nation said:
Of course.Of course this batch of episodes had to end this way.How else could it?We've known a few things going into this. We knew that there would be eight episodes this summer, and then the last eight almost a year from now. (No exact premiere date yet, but figure on roughly the same time as this year.) We knew that these 16 episodes were being treated as a "season" at least on a contractual level (everybody gets raises if they're separate seasons), and the slow build of these episodes suggested Vince Gilligan and company weren't trying to cram 13 hours of plot into 8 hours of show, then do it again next summer. We knew from the first scene of the season that a lot of time by "Breaking Bad" standards would pass before we got to the end, and also that Walt had very, very far to fall on the way there.In hindsight, "Gliding Over All" is the only way this half-season could have ended, I think. It takes us nearly a quarter of the way to Walt celebrating his 52nd birthday with a free Denny's breakfast and a machine gun, but more importantly it takes us on the first big step to that moment.There wasn't enough time left in these episodes to plausibly build to some apocalyptic showdown like we got at the end of Seasons 3 or 4. There was, on the other hand, enough time to plausibly show Walt achieving his ultimate victory — wealth, power, respect, love and even fear — right before a man in need of bathroom reading is about to snatch it all away from him.Suddenly, Walt's Icarus speech to Jesse seems to be inadvertently pointing right back at Mr. White, no? He flew close to the sun, got to bask in its warmth and light and majesty, and now he's gonna come crashing down to earth.Whatever issues I've had with pacing and plot logic at times this season, "Gliding Over All" was an absolutely gorgeous piece of work, in both the visual sense and the way it brought us to the next, final phase of Walter White's story.Let's talk pretty pictures first. Director Michelle MacLaren has been behind the camera for the series' most exciting action sequence (the shootout at the end of "One Minute"), and arguably its most visually stunning episode ("4 Days Out"), and I think she may have just topped the latter. Every frame of "Gliding Over All" couldn't have been more beautifully assembled, from the many shots of the back of Walt's bald, evil skull to the quick, efficient violence of the skinhead assault on Mike's guys to the relentless, giddy montage of the meth business turning into everything Walt dreamed it could be way back when — efficient, bloodless and wildly lucrative — with one image bleeding seamlessly into the next. Even by the standards of this technically brilliant show, this was something.But I also loved how Moira Walley-Beckett's script turned "Gliding Over All" into a strange kind of series-finale-that-wasn't. Not only does Walt think he gets his happily-ever-after, but it comes in an episode overflowing with callbacks to important moments in his journey. Walt again tries to distract himself from the weight of his life by fixating on an ordinary fly. The painting in the motel is the same one he had in his hospital. The dented paper towel dispenser hasn't been replaced since he beat the hell out of it following an unexpectedly good diagnosis in the aforementioned "4 Days Out." And when Walt and Jesse reunite briefly, the only thing that eases the obvious tension is talk of all their misadventures in the RV that Jesse nicknamed the Crystal Ship.It's an hour so aware of the past, and yet so focused on the ending Walt thinks he's getting, that if we didn't know about the remaining eight episodes, it would be easy to look at the penultimate scene by the White family pool as an ironic conclusion to the series: Walt leaves a trail of bodies behind, but ultimately doesn't suffer for his sins of violence, or of hubris, and gets to enjoy it all. But because I knew there were eight more to go, and had seen Mr. Lambert make his bacon spell out 52, I spent that entire scene on edge. This was too happy, too peaceful. Something horrible had to happen in that moment. Would Walter Jr. leave Holly too close to the pool while getting the sunscreen? Would some previously-undiscovered pair of Salamanca relatives (the Second Cousins, perhaps?) suddenly enter the backyard, guns blazing? Would Jesse pick the wrong moment to swing by and thank Skyler for telling him about the splendor and majesty of the Albertson's deli counter?But no. It was much simpler and more effective than that. Like the ricin capsule that Walt didn't wind up using on Lydia, doom isn't coming for Walt in an obvious, instantaneous way, but in a more painful, time-released fashion. Hank has had the evidence in front of him all this time, but he couldn't see it because Walter White wasn't that guy to him. But now he is. Now Hank knows. He may not know it all yet, but he knows a lot — including Jesse Pinkman's past association with both Walt and Heisenberg. We've known for many seasons how fixated Hank is on catching the man in the black hat, and we were reminded tonight (in a great moment for Dean Norris) just how hard Hank has taken his inability to stop this guy and the violence associated with him. But we also know that Hank cares about his in-laws, and is just coming off a three-month stint of playing daddy to Holly.What's he going to do now?Whatever it is, it will in some way lead Walt to go on the run under another identity, and then lead him back to Albuquerque in search of heavy artillery. He may need to use that against Hank, or Jesse (especially if Jesse ever finds out about Brock and/or Jane), or perhaps Todd and his skinhead pals, or even some player to be named later.But we know where this man has been, and the many deaths he's sung. And we can only guess of how much more death there will be when the summer of 2013 rolls around.Can't wait. Don't want to wait. But this was a damn good note to go out on.Some other thoughts:* I keep pretty exhaustive notes of each episode, and I can't find any record of Gale giving Walt that autographed copy of "Leaves of Grass," though it fits with what we know of their relationship and shared love of the other W.W. Am I mistaken, or did that not happen on camera?* Okay, if I know the internet, not only will there be GIFs galore of Walt and Skyler standing over the pile of money (and there's already one of Hank on the can), there will be people extrapolating by the length, width and depth of the pile how much money is there. I almost feel like AMC should have set this up as a contest, like guessing the number of jelly beans in the jar.* Not a lot of Jesse in this one, but Aaron Paul was fantastic in his two scenes, with so much hurt and betrayal washing over Jesse's face as Walt closed the garage door on him, and then with the barely-suppressed terror he had throughout Walt's visit to his house.* Jesse flinging the unneeded pistol across the floor nicely echoed the earlier reveal that Walt had the ricin capsule with him for the meeting with Lydia, and was prepared to dump it in her coffee if she hadn't given him a reason to keep her alive. It's not paranoia if they're out to get you, right? And Chekhov's ricin lives to be used another day.* Not sure how Kevin Rankin (Devil from "Justified") got typecast as a white power type, but work's work and I'm always happy to see the guy on camera. Also funny to see Rankin and Jesse Plemons together, since I can't instantly recall Herc and Landry sharing scenes on "Friday Night Lights."* I was all ready to compliment Nat King Cole's "Pick Yourself Up" as the show's best montage song in quite some time, and then they had to bust out "Crystal Blue Persuasion" by Tommy James & The Shondells for the meth montage. I'm trying to decide if the existence of a song with that title only recently came to the attention of the production, or if they've been keeping it in their back pocket for the absolute perfect moment — which this sure seemed to be.* For the most part, condensing three months of criminal activity into a montage worked for me — it's easier to pull that off when things are going well than to race through the tough times — but I do wonder if, when season 5.2 begins, we're going to discover that it wasn't quite as easy for Walt to walk away from the business as he suggests to Skyler. Too many people now depend on that blue meth, and who's going to make it if Walt doesn't? Todd? (Then again, that might be the perfect ending: Walt and Jesse wind up dead or in prison, while it's Todd who gets to be the new Scarface.)* In the flash-forward, Walt is taking pills, suggesting the cancer is back. Do you think that was the diagnosis he got in this MRI session (which might have triggered his decision to retire and enjoy his final months with a happy, cohesive family), or is that still to come?
This guy is horrible and needs to find a real job.

I've always assumed that was TBD for us viewers. Wouldn't surprise me either way.
I just didn't know if I missed something in there that gave it credence. I like the TBDs and the ambiguity. The discussion about whether or not Walt's cancer is back is going to be epic, in the saddest of internet TV nerd message board theory manner.

Users who are viewing this thread