What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (3 Viewers)

eoMMan said:
I'm open to whatever...just looking for almost all white and comfortable.
I'm a fan of Jack Purcell's personally. Classic styling for a low-top but not a Chuck.  If you are feeling adventurous then you can seek out prints instead of plain white.

ETA - I picked up a pair of Novesta (olive) last summer and really like them. Just off-beat enough a choice to make it catch the eye. Comfortable and very durable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan of Jack Purcell's personally. Classic styling for a low-top but not a Chuck.  If you are feeling adventurous then you can seek out prints instead of plain white.

ETA - I picked up a pair of Novesta (olive) last summer and really like them. Just off-beat enough a choice to make it catch the eye. Comfortable and very durable.
those Novestas are dope...how does the sizing run on those?

bought locally? otherwise how was the shipping?
I got my pair from DSW, iirc. Ordered direct through them. They don't seem to have a lot of them in stock. Right now, I only see women's styles for them. Otherwise, shipping is like $10-$15 from Novesta direct via DHL. UK shops carry them regularly, too, but shipping is still around $10-15. Ebay can be a solution for those interested.

Do you go sock-less on the low top sneakers?

i waffle back and forth depending on the situation. coaching soccer, mowing the grass, walking the dog?? probably no socks

everywhere else, socks but i'm finding it difficult to get socks that are either no-show but don't eventually slide down under my feel... or that are no-show but juuuuuust high enough so that the back of my shoes don't rub on the achilles.

Now that all of the pant styles are skinny I am finding the show choices to be more limited.  The bottoms of the skinny pants don't fall right over higher shoes.  I have to wear loafers.

Almost always. The point of consideration though may be ankle socks vs calf, right? Pants always wear the socks that go higher up the calf. Shorts, however, should be cue to wear ankle or no-show socks like JB showed. 

Nope.  With shorts, definitely no show socks unless you want your feet to smell and shoes to get tarnished quickly.  With pants depends how hot it is outside and how casual the occasion is.  

i waffle back and forth depending on the situation. coaching soccer, mowing the grass, walking the dog?? probably no socks

everywhere else, socks but i'm finding it difficult to get socks that are either no-show but don't eventually slide down under my feel... or that are no-show but juuuuuust high enough so that the back of my shoes don't rub on the achilles.
Go with those Stance socks I linked to. Several other brands too have figured out the no show socks in the last couple of years. They've solved the side down your foot problem with some strips around the heel. The Stance brand is great. 

I got these in Navy but they also have white.  Ive worn them twice, once on the golf course and once casual.  Compliments both times.  They are light and comfortable too.  Mainly bought them because I travel a lot for work and wanted something that would allow me to only bring one pair of shoes that I could have for casual dress and for golf.   Plus they are knit on top so basically take up as much room in your bag as flip flops would.

https://truelinkswear.com/true-knit/?sku=TK1-0003-070&gclid=Cj0KCQjwh6XmBRDRARIsAKNInDEpz6q--uyoXAyvc1pPuM52LbxmeFijeXWvLdx8hQEHQZfLEv4_JqIaAj-sEALw_wcB

Go with those Stance socks I linked to. Several other brands too have figured out the no show socks in the last couple of years. They've solved the side down your foot problem with some strips around the heel. The Stance brand is great. 
:thumbup: i've heard of these Stance brand socks but hadn't bought any yet

adding some to my basket now

Now that all of the pant styles are skinny I am finding the show choices to be more limited.  The bottoms of the skinny pants don't fall right over higher shoes.  I have to wear loafers.
That's why you have to up your shoe game.   Part of the beauty of this :style: is you can highlight your sweet kicks, and your boot cut dungarees don't cover your Keds.

RE white casual shoes, if I was in the market I'd go for something like this:

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=166850002&cid=1032802&pcid=1032801

Not necessarily these exactly, but this style.  I think the blue accent wouldn't clash with anything, and I like the gum sole.  I think a purely white shoe (white sole, no accent color) gives me a frat boy doosh nozzle vibe or a little to try hard style wise.  If you're wearing a white tennis shoe, you're going casual so keep it casual.

Nope.  With shorts, definitely no show socks unless you want your feet to smell and shoes to get tarnished quickly.  With pants depends how hot it is outside and how casual the occasion is.  
The smell will just get more people to notice the jewelry wrapped around your shoes

Cleaned out the attic and found a box of clothes from about 10-12 years ago. Tried a few pairs of pants on and I couldn’t help but laugh- what were we thinking wearing such wide leg pants? My god I felt like I was desssig up for a 1930s period piece. I really hope that doesn’t come back in style.

Cleaned out the attic and found a box of clothes from about 10-12 years ago. Tried a few pairs of pants on and I couldn’t help but laugh- what were we thinking wearing such wide leg pants? My god I felt like I was desssig up for a 1930s period piece. I really hope that doesn’t come back in style.
You were rocking JNCOs, weren't you?

If you have some nice jeans that happen to be bootcut, a good tailor can taper the leg for you and modernize the fit.  Not a bad option if you don't want to toss some choice denim.  Of course, there's not much that can be done for JNCOs, so you might be SOL @Ilov80s

If you have some nice jeans that happen to be bootcut, a good tailor can taper the leg for you and modernize the fit.  Not a bad option if you don't want to toss some choice denim.  Of course, there's not much that can be done for JNCOs, so you might be SOL @Ilov80s
No none of them were particularly nice, just Levi, Banana Republic, GAP stuff from my early 20s. 

I think that was sort of the beginning and impetus of the white shoe digression beginning of the thread.  Still back-ordered to July 8.
I had seen the hype about Killshots and never been that motivated to try to get them, but about six weeks ago I just happened to come on at the right time to see them not only in stock but included in 50-percent-off code when they are usually excluded from sales. The size 9 that I usually wear for sneakers fit perfectly, and they are very comfortable to me. When I'm wearing blue jeans, I tend to wear them more than any other shoe since I got them. Only problem so far is the jeans bleed on them!

Well, my contribution to the conversation will be Epaulet: https://www.epauletbrand.com/collections/sneakers. I have the bottom ones, though I believe in a more pure white color.

for me, personally, the whole white sneaker thing makes me think of Jerry Seinfeld. I can't do it.
It was a different time way back then with cheap denim and dad shoes.  Not sure about the puffy shirt but every man needs at least one quality pair of white casual sneakers.  I like them b/c you can wear them with every color of pant/jean and they still look good.

It was a different time way back then with cheap denim and dad shoes.  Not sure about the puffy shirt but every man needs at least one quality pair of white casual sneakers.  I like them b/c you can wear them with every color of pant/jean and they still look good.
unless you are playing on the courts of Wimbledon or shuffling off to Port St Lucie, you don't "need" a pair of white sneakers. 

given how much Kanye influences kids these days i'm surprised we haven't had anyone ask for the best pair of well used 2XL sweatpants and sweatshirt to style 

@Henry Ford has posted about his.   It was a while ago, so maybe he has some updated opinions.
Love ‘em.  They aren’t dressy enough for court but I wear them to the office and use my Tyrwhitt shirts for court.  I wear them to the office, dinner, hanging out at the beach, wherever. 

Only three drawbacks I’ve seen -

1. The collar stays are permanents sewn in. That may become an issue later in the life of the shirt;

2. No pocket which is where I like to keep my phone; and 

3. The button holes aren’t as strong as I’d like.  Ripped one by leaving buttons done while washing it on a normal cycle (freak accident caught in other clothes with long legs/arms)  So I need to get it repaired.  

I thought I ruined one by putting a campaign button on (left a gaping hole) but when I washed it the fabric closed back up.  That was nice. 

Ok, I have a very specific question, folks.

I am going to the races at Churchill Downs tomorrow for Oaks Day. I will be roaming the infield and paddock area - nothing fancy at all. However, I also have some other places to visit that require something a little more than jeans.

Normally, it would not be an issue, but I have lost 40 lbs in the past year (medical related), that I did not need to lose. After finding some solutions with my docs, I am now gaining some of my weight back. But, my favorite pants are all too big right now. I have 3 options:

1) Wear baggy pants = NO - I know better, even tho I have done this while doing chores, etc.

2) Buy something for this one event - knowing that it will be too small for me within a few months.

3) Wear a pair of pants, that accidentally got placed in my bag a few years ago by a store clerk. (Heh, as I was leaving, there was a guy complaining about losing his pants...I never connected it until I got home.) Since I never bought them, I don't know anything. It is not something that I would normally buy.

Here are 2 pictures of the pants:

Full view

Up Close

Are they ok? I don't need to be pretty, but I don't want to be way off either. Remember also, this is Derby Week where lots of interesting fashion is all abound.

I have time to shop tonight.

Thanks in advance.

@rockaction

Since you a Dapper Dan man too - I definitely want yous opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread