Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Random

Projectorguys

I have Epson Home Cinema 720 that is about 3 years old with original lamp. When I turn the projector on, I get a brief message that says "Change the lamp" which then goes away after 10 seconds or so. Should I change the lamp now or wait til it burns out?

There's nothing I do on there that would make me mad if the signal dropped in the middle.

From what I've read, those bulbs can sometimes pop when they give out. Might be a little bit dangerous to wait until then.

I'd get a new lamp.

From what I've read, those bulbs can sometimes pop when they give out. Might be a little bit dangerous to wait until then.I'd get a new lamp.

OK thanks. I have a spare lamp and I can do this. I'm happy to get 3 years out of it and if I can get another 3 yrs out of this next one, I'll be ready for an upgrade in 2014!

I have a Santo plv-Z4 that the bulb just went out on, is the difference in quality worth upgrading to something like the epson 8350($1200 less whatever I could sell mine for) or should I just pont up the $200-$300 for a new bulb?

I have a Santo plv-Z4 that the bulb just went out on, is the difference in quality worth upgrading to something like the epson 8350($1200 less whatever I could sell mine for) or should I just pont up the $200-$300 for a new bulb?

Any opinions?

Any opinions?
I have the Epson 8350 I bought 4 mos. ago and the quality is fantastic especially in 1080 blue ray. I could for sure tell the difference from a friends 3yr old projector. Myself I decided to spend the extra bucks for quality. Only thing I wish it had was an auto/remote focus. HTH Edited by towney

My ancient projector finally is on its last legs and I am looking to replace it. I was looking at the Epson 8350 or the Panasonic PT-AR100U. Any opinions on these? Any other projectors in the <$2000 range I should be considering?

awesome

moving in a house at the end of the month that has a media room.. i will be doing the same thing!!

My ancient projector finally is on its last legs and I am looking to replace it. I was looking at the Epson 8350 or the Panasonic PT-AR100U. Any opinions on these? Any other projectors in the <$2000 range I should be considering?

I chose the 8350 after researching avs, etc.If you have a question, ask. U sed to have a screen, but for fun decided to just shoot it on the wall, big... very big.I'd say about 15 feet across, and the top of the screen is about 10 feet off the floor. football and loud movies are sick :banned:

I chose the 8350 after researching avs, etc.If you have a question, ask. U sed to have a screen, but for fun decided to just shoot it on the wall, big... very big.I'd say about 15 feet across, and the top of the screen is about 10 feet off the floor. football and loud movies are sick :banned:
I'm amazed about how cheap these are now. I really should go out and get one...

Hey, I'm looking for a basic HDMI projector that will work with the MSFT Wireless Adapter so I can mirror a Surface 3 through it.

I don't need much in fancy stuff but a simple, good HDMI port with USB that will work. Where and how much?

Thinking of getting the Epson 1040.

Do I need a screen?

Not if you have a flat, white wall.

And get an 8350 refurbished from Epson instead.

I have a flat light blue/gray

Nope. Grey would be okay but the blue would throw the colors something fierce.

Meh..... my buddy had the Epson 740 hooked up. Really liked it. Not sure I want to go through the effort

Meh..... my buddy had the Epson 740 hooked up. Really liked it. Not sure I want to go through the effort

As far as the screen, you could paint a rectangle white (or other prime screen color) and frame it and you would be set.

Yeah. I'm debating it. It's hard to describe my current color.

Still thinking about it. But can't find the one Andy suggested. I may puck it up try it out. See if it would be worth hanging a screen.

I always thought you needed a ceiling mount but now I see I can go shelf etc.

So another question... anyone buy a screen? Or if you used the wall did you frame it?

Can someone walk me through this a bit. i am a complete moron when it comes to this stuff.

Dont have a projector yet. Have an old Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 Surround System.

We are looking for a cheapish projector to stream Amazon/Netflix content. Suggestions? Looking to spend only a couple hundred bucks. Will only be projecting 10 feet away or so.

The sound system has two 3.5 mm inputs for front and rear. If I am reading online forums correctly, it is damn near impossible to get true surround from a laptop/tablet with this, right? I have a male/male splitter, but all that does is just do a double stereo thing, right?

Chromecast? Fire Stick?

Help?

So another question... anyone buy a screen? Or if you used the wall did you frame it?

I bought a 92 inch fixed frame screen off eBay. I think I spent 150 on it. The screen came rolled up and the frame was easy to assemble. I'd check eBay.

Can someone walk me through this a bit. i am a complete moron when it comes to this stuff.

Dont have a projector yet. Have an old Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 Surround System.

We are looking for a cheapish projector to stream Amazon/Netflix content. Suggestions? Looking to spend only a couple hundred bucks. Will only be projecting 10 feet away or so.

The sound system has two 3.5 mm inputs for front and rear. If I am reading online forums correctly, it is damn near impossible to get true surround from a laptop/tablet with this, right? I have a male/male splitter, but all that does is just do a double stereo thing, right?

Chromecast? Fire Stick?

Help?

Seems like the problem is the stereo - no HDMI, right?

I wonder if you could Chromecast the video to the projector and Bluetooth the audio to a speaker.

Chromecast? Fire Stick?

Help?

There are very good sound cards which put out true surround sound for a desktop. Now a laptop/tablet solution you would have to go with a USB audio card solution. I see no reason why this wouldn't be a true surround. Here is a cheap one which has 3.5mm output for fronts, surrounds, center/bass, and rears. You would just need two cables (3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo) and you would be set. Have to read the reviews to see if there is any delay or quality issue.

Chromecast? Fire Stick?

Help?

If I were you, I'd just pick up an older stereo that has the inputs you need. Shouldn't run you more than $100 or so. The move to a projector is well worth it.

Chromecast? Fire Stick?

Help?

Seems like the problem is the stereo - no HDMI, right?

I wonder if you could Chromecast the video to the projector and Bluetooth the audio to a speaker.

That's what I'm thinking.

I bought a 92 inch fixed frame screen off eBay. I think I spent 150 on it. The screen came rolled up and the frame was easy to assemble. I'd check eBay.

I built my own with some specific "black out" fabric from a local fabric store, and framed it out with 2x2 lumber. I think I was out a total of 50-70 bucks, and a few hours on a Saturday.

Cool thanks. I'm going to try it out tommorrow and see what up. If I like it I'll keep it and maybe try a screen.

Cool thanks. I'm going to try it out tommorrow and see what up. If I like it I'll keep it and maybe try a screen.

I have the Da-Lite DaSnap 80"

I think I paid around $400 for it, probably around 10 years ago. Not sure what they go for now. Easy to put together and a nice clean look.

That's the other thing. Where I want to put my projector it will display like 110.

I need to try to get it down to like 90 :).

Excited to set it up tomorrow

We might be redoing our home theater room a bit next year and it's time to upgrade my Sony 10HT.

What are some good websites to research projectors nowadays?

Do I need a screen?

Do I need a screen?

Just ordered one of these myself...will be ordering screen after it arrives to make sure we like the size it projects.

That's the other thing. Where I want to put my projector it will display like 110.

I need to try to get it down to like 90 :).

Excited to set it up tomorrow

Consider fan noise when you plan placement. I have a boxed out heating pipe just behind my projector and the projector was one I specifically bought with a short throw lens. If I want to mount on the other side of the heating pipe, it would be nearly overhead and the fan noise would be really distracting. I have to look for either another short throw to keep my 80" or go standard throw but find one that's very quiet if I want a larger screen. My wife doesn't notice it but I do during really quiet scenes.

We might be redoing our home theater room a bit next year and it's time to upgrade my Sony 10HT.

I think Projectorcentral.com is still the best.

There's almost too much info at places like AVS Forum.

• Like 1

avsforum is really good once you narrow down what you're looking for. Agreed that there's an overwhelming amount of info at times.

avsforum is really good once you narrow down what you're looking for. Agreed that there's an overwhelming amount of info at times.

While this is true, it really does have the best user comments and information. You can start your search there with a price point and work your way down from there. I've bought 3 projectors site-unseen based on research on avs and I've enjoyed each one more than the last.

Thinking about replacing a dying tv with a projector. One of the main uses for the tv now is gaming (Xbox 360, Wii) I wonder if a projector will be 'good' enough for the heavy duty needs of gaming.

The room is in the basement with no direct sunlight, only one small window that's under a deck.

Thinking about replacing a dying tv with a projector. One of the main uses for the tv now is gaming (Xbox 360, Wii) I wonder if a projector will be 'good' enough for the heavy duty needs of gaming.

The room is in the basement with no direct sunlight, only one small window that's under a deck.

I play on a projector. If you're a competitive gamer (like hardcore tournament type) I've heard they're not good because of lag but I've never had any such issues.

Playing games like Uncharted or Tomb Raider on a 92" screen is money.

I've found projector buying to be simple once I've set my budget.

If I had a clear shot to the screen, it would be much easier. But like I said, I have a framed out heating pipe that runs parallel to the screen about 11 ft. back. I'm trying to find something with around a 1.2 lens like my current one. Even then, I have to consider dimensions of the projector because this one is butted right up to the framed box but it was ok since it has front-firing exhaust. If the exhaust fans go out the back, I'd risk overheating. Probably doesn't matter because most projectors now seem to have lenses more in the 1.5 range, which means I'll have to put it behind the box, and lower to clear the shot. The one I have now is nice because it's real tight to the ceiling.

One thing that wasn't listed in specs when I bought my first one was Audible Noise level. I notice they do now which is helpful. Mine clocks in at 30dB and I see many now in the 21dB range so that might be a big difference.

I play on a projector. If you're a competitive gamer (like hardcore tournament type) I've heard they're not good because of lag but I've never had any such issues.

Playing games like Uncharted or Tomb Raider on a 92" screen is money.

Thanks, that's what I am thinking; right now I have 2 kids playing games with friends and they aren't into the fighting RPG games yet (pre-teen). They also aren't too much into internet games yet, so I'd think that ought to help with any lag issues too.

My 'regular' tv has some issues with sports, esp. football and golf where the ball will kinda bounce around in flight. I think that's having a 120 instead of a 240. Does this come up with projectors? If so, what do I do to prevent it?

Edited by Mr. Ected

I can't say I've ever seen that happen.

All my projectors have been LCDs. I don't know if that would make a difference.

Projectorpeople.com has a good article on Video Gaming Projectors. Its like the first result that comes up.

Now I'm concerned. It says 12 feet projects 112. Does that mean I can't put the projector more than 12 feet back?

I'm not putting up a ceiling bracket. I'd have to cut my drop ceiling etc

Now I'm concerned. It says 12 feet projects 112. Does that mean I can't put the projector more than 12 feet back?

I'm not putting up a ceiling bracket. I'd have to cut my drop ceiling etc

I don't think that's what that means. I think it's saying that it's a short throw projector in that it gets that big that choose.

Which projector again? How far back do you need it?

You may run into the problem that the projector can't do an image small enough for as far back as it's set.

The 1040. I was going to put it on a shelf about 13 ft

But I see what you are saying.

I may have been too impulsive here lol

Edited by belljr

I can't say I've ever seen that happen.

All my projectors have been LCDs. I don't know if that would make a difference.

Projectorpeople.com has a good article on Video Gaming Projectors. Its like the first result that comes up.

The issue is called (after googling) motion blur. (http://www.overstock.com/guides/faqs-about-motion-blur-and-tvs) I can't find a yes/no as to whether it happens with projectors.

Thanks. I was thinking diagonal was 100.

Not feeling to good lol. I may have to return this and rethink it.

Use the calculator at projectorcentral for throw distances.

I made my own screen using blackout cloth from Amazon and some 1" x 4" wood from Lowe's. Built 120" screen for under $100.

I bought a projector a year ago and have never regretted it. Movies, sports, and video games are great on a 10 foot screen. You'll see details in movies and sports you never noticed on smaller TVs.