What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Projectorguys (1 Viewer)

Anyone ever set up a projector and it was TOO BIG????I put tape on my wall last night for a 92'' screen and it feels overwhelming.. I was like :goodposting: Whoa it's like 90% of the wall....thinking of trying a 84'' tape tonight.
Well if you are too close you'll get eye strain following things on the screen perimeter.

Anyone ever set up a projector and it was TOO BIG????I put tape on my wall last night for a 92'' screen and it feels overwhelming.. I was like :confused: Whoa it's like 90% of the wall....thinking of trying a 84'' tape tonight.
No way. Look at the pics I posted. Thats about 135" and if I could make it bigger I would. It will grow on you.

I'm going to be getting rid of the cable box (going to OTA). Can anyone tell me what I will need to get the OTA stations to my projector? I'd search the AVS forums, but I dont feel like getting a headache right now.

Anyone ever set up a projector and it was TOO BIG????I put tape on my wall last night for a 92'' screen and it feels overwhelming.. I was like :confused: Whoa it's like 90% of the wall....thinking of trying a 84'' tape tonight.
No way. Look at the pics I posted. Thats about 135" and if I could make it bigger I would. It will grow on you.
I can see sitting back and watching a movie....But, I feel like If I'm watching a Football game I'll actually have to swivel my head to follow the pass...

Anyone ever set up a projector and it was TOO BIG????I put tape on my wall last night for a 92'' screen and it feels overwhelming.. I was like :goodposting: Whoa it's like 90% of the wall....thinking of trying a 84'' tape tonight.
I can see sitting back and watching a movie....But, I feel like If I'm watching a Football game I'll actually have to swivel my head to follow the pass...
When I was starting this project, projectorpeople had a viewing calculator. You put in the size of the desired screen and it tells you how far away optimal seating would be.

I'm going to be getting rid of the cable box (going to OTA). Can anyone tell me what I will need to get the OTA stations to my projector? I'd search the AVS forums, but I dont feel like getting a headache right now.
You have to get a tuner. Something like this.I'm sure there are cheaper options, but this was the first I found.
yea, or i thought of buying a used sat box, i think you can use them for OTA too.

Anyone ever set up a projector and it was TOO BIG????I put tape on my wall last night for a 92'' screen and it feels overwhelming.. I was like :shock: Whoa it's like 90% of the wall....thinking of trying a 84'' tape tonight.
When I was starting this project, projectorpeople had a viewing calculator. You put in the size of the desired screen and it tells you how far away optimal seating would be.
yep, how far away are you sitting? Actually I think projector people have the calculator for each projector, but maybe not viewing. If I remember right you want to be sitting 1.5 times the horizontal measurement. so 8 feet wide (not diagnal) screen would be at least 12 feet back.

KGB said:
Anyone ever set up a projector and it was TOO BIG????I put tape on my wall last night for a 92'' screen and it feels overwhelming.. I was like :eek: Whoa it's like 90% of the wall....thinking of trying a 84'' tape tonight.
yep, how far away are you sitting? Actually I think projector people have the calculator for each projector, but maybe not viewing. If I remember right you want to be sitting 1.5 times the horizontal measurement. so 8 feet wide (not diagnal) screen would be at least 12 feet back.
Yeah,.. I've been using those calculators all along.. it's when the tape was actually on the wall when I was blown away.....I'm thinking of going 84'' Diagnal and that I might be able to increase it if I wanted to. But, 84'' sounds pretty nice.My main couch is 11 feet away but, 1 chair might be within 8-9 feet... The ceilings are also low - slightly less that 7 ft.

I *think* I've got it narrowed down to these 4Optoma HD65 for $750 @ Amazon (Ebay for $650 shipped one @ $580 right now - might bid on this)
This is the one I have had for about a year now. I didn't pay but like 600 for it shipped then. Shop around. It's a real good machine for the money. I just shot it on a white wall. Never bothered to get a screen.
from where?
By the sound of the rest of the set up, probably a plastic milk crate. Has to set the lava lamp on the floor now but well worth it.

I DID IT!!!!!! This thing is on order.....

It will still take me a couple of months to get it all up and running and the besament finished - can't wait!!!!

While I planned on the HD20 for months, following the AVS threads and reviews I got pulled into this New Epson 8350.... I emailed one of the experts that reviewed it and for less than $200 more he had this to say..

not only is it worth $200 more, but it's $299 lamp (I'm pretty sure), lasts 4000 hours at full power, vs. the HD20's 3000 I think, at full power. Both are 4000 in low power. That will help a bit... And you get a far better warranty - and it's 2 years, vs. 1...

But mostly, it's far more flexible, it's great on sports!!!!

Here's a link to his review.... Review

My goal is to be up and running for the NFL playoffs for sure......

I'm planning on making a screen out of white laminate for now and setting it up so I can change the screen size since I'm still a little overwhelmed at what 92'' of NFL might look like.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I DID IT!!!!!! This thing is on order.....

It will still me a couple of months to get it all up and running and the besament finished - can't wait!!!!

While I planned on the HD20 for months, following the AVS threads and reviews I got pulled into this New Epson 8350.... I emailed one of the experts that reviewed it and for less than $200 more he had this to say..

not only is it worth $200 more, but it's $299 lamp (I'm pretty sure), lasts 4000 hours at full power, vs. the HD20's 3000 I think, at full power. Both are 4000 in low power. That will help a bit... And you get a far better warranty - and it's 2 years, vs. 1...

But mostly, it's far more flexible, it's great on sports!!!!

Here's a link to his review.... Review

My goal is to be up and running for the NFL playoffs for sure......

I'm planning on making a screen out of white laminate for now and setting it up so I can change the screen size since I'm still a little overwhelmed at what 92'' of NFL might look like.....
:unsure: Congrats! FWIW I had mine rigged up while I was finishing the basement. Like you, I couldn't wait, so I didn't.

:lmao: Congrats! FWIW I had mine rigged up while I was finishing the basement. Like you, I couldn't wait, so I didn't.
Yeah. I'll be on vacation next week but, when I get back, I suspect I might be trying to rig something up... Just don't want it to take me away from the work of completing this basement project.Basement will be full of Sheetrock / spackle dust for a week.But, there will definitely come a point where this thing needs to get fired up... I presume it will be some Sunday real soon.

I'm intrigued...

Better to go this route than a 65" plasma? How are they (projectors that is) for gaming??

I'm intrigued...Better to go this route than a 65" plasma? How are they (projectors that is) for gaming??
Excellent. I don't know that I've ever been as scared as when I played Bioshock on a 92" screen with surround sound messing me up. :wall: :shrug:

I'm intrigued...Better to go this route than a 65" plasma? How are they (projectors that is) for gaming??
A projector that gives you a screen as big as your walls and space allow can be had for around $1000.00..a 65'' plasma is what? 2k-3k?Bigger AND Cheaper sold me pretty quickly. You can also change the size to theater ratios and back.... I will be dialing in the perfect size for my space and just might increase it at will :lmao:

A projector that gives you a screen as big as your walls and space allow can be had for around $1000.00..a 65'' plasma is what? 2k-3k?
65" plasma at a glance could be had for ~$1800 @ Amazon, I'm sure with the holidays coming up there will be sales all over. Mostly I was curious how 'sharp' the picture would be on a projector as opposed to the plasma. For the price and a bit of what I've read through the thread going with a projector definitely sounds like an option to consider...

Meat said:
Reaper said:
Meat said:
A projector that gives you a screen as big as your walls and space allow can be had for around $1000.00..a 65'' plasma is what? 2k-3k?
65" plasma at a glance could be had for ~$1800 @ Amazon, I'm sure with the holidays coming up there will be sales all over. Mostly I was curious how 'sharp' the picture would be on a projector as opposed to the plasma. For the price and a bit of what I've read through the thread going with a projector definitely sounds like an option to consider...
Dont forget with the projector you also need an AVR, speakers, wires, and a screen.

Meat said:
Reaper said:
Meat said:
Dont forget with the projector you also need an AVR, speakers, wires, and a screen.
I'm using that Wilsonart Laminate Screen that they talk about in the AVS forums that I can get from work cheap and I've got my eyes on a Denon HTITB with good reviews for $599.00.... that is still covered in the greater price of the Plasma.If I were setting up my basement with a 65'' plasma, I'm pretty sure I'd still want surround sound anyway so, I'm not going to count that much against the Projector... Besides the fact, I've been in plenty houses with 65'' plasma's and it's like "Dude, nice TV".... My dad just set up a 55'' over his fireplace, top of the line Sony and it does nothing for me at all, just a few more inches over what I have.NINETY TWO plus on an entire wall is FREAKING MIND BLOWING!!!!!!!!!!!To me, it's a whole different ball game and barely even comparable.

Anybody considering a projector is going to have all those (except the screen) anyway. Why buy a 65" TV if you're not going to hook up surround sound?BTW - If anyone's interested I am selling my home theater setup. It has a Denon receiver (only drawback - no HDMI inputs), KEF front speakers, and a Definitive 10" sub. PM me and I'll give you the Craigslist listing.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just saying you cant just buy the projector like you could the tv.

And FWIW, I simply painted my wall with Behr Silverscreen ($15) and I'm extremely happy with it.

I *think* I've got it narrowed down to these 4Optoma HD65 for $750 @ Amazon (Ebay for $650 shipped one @ $580 right now - might bid on this)
This is the one I have had for about a year now. I didn't pay but like 600 for it shipped then. Shop around. It's a real good machine for the money. I just shot it on a white wall. Never bothered to get a screen.
from where?
By the sound of the rest of the set up, probably a plastic milk crate. Has to set the lava lamp on the floor now but well worth it.
Lol. I don't see the reason to go 2x the budget for the screen. Just the wall is fine for me. I considered a DIY screen but passed. I got mine through Ebay new. The lamp just went out and replaced for $155. The noise it made going out was tremendously loud.

I suck at pictures, but here are some I just snapped with the wife's camera (which I don't know how to use very well)

BluRay - lights on

BR - lights off (still need blinds)

Cable close

Cable far

AV rack far

AV rack near

not sure why the image quality sucks so bad, I'll try to get some higher quality pics up later.
Had to look at these again for inspiration!!!!!!

Did you paint that entire wall with the Screen paint????
Nope, just the "screen". The rest of the wall I painted black.

You have to get a tuner. Something like this.I'm sure there are cheaper options, but this was the first I found.
Went with a DirectTv Tivo HD10-250 here. Its obsolete for DirectTv subscribers, but its dual ATSC tuners, 30 minute buffer, TVGOS, and HDMI make for a perfect solution for OTA HD reception. And they're about $50 on ebay. I'll probably end up getting another one for the upstairs TV.

I suck at pictures, but here are some I just snapped with the wife's camera (which I don't know how to use very well)

BluRay - lights on

Cable close

Cable far

AV rack far

AV rack near

not sure why the image quality sucks so bad, I'll try to get some higher quality pics up later.
Lookin good. Is this your 1st projector? I bet you can still point the remote at the screen and the sig will bounce off it and back to the equipment.
Yes to both.
Where are you speakers at? Any pics of the projector itself? Looks really nice.
Here's a pic I took with the flash on (washes out the screen but you can see the 3 speakers - left, right, and top center). If you look at the pic labeled "AV rack far" you can see the right rear channel. Front speakers

Projector and both rear speakers
Here's two other pics showing the "screen"

Went with a DirectTv Tivo HD10-250 here. Its obsolete for DirectTv subscribers, but its dual ATSC tuners, 30 minute buffer, TVGOS, and HDMI make for a perfect solution for OTA HD reception. And they're about $50 on ebay. I'll probably end up getting another one for the upstairs TV.
Reeeeaaallly? Might have to pick one of those up. I haven't paid attention to Tivo/DVR stuff at all. Are you saying that you can record OTA programming with this thing and not have to pay any monthly service charges to anyone?

Reeeeaaallly? Might have to pick one of those up. I haven't paid attention to Tivo/DVR stuff at all. Are you saying that you can record OTA programming with this thing and not have to pay any monthly service charges to anyone?
I dont think so. I think the only Tivo functions you get are the 30min buffer (pause, ff, rw, 30sec skip). No record and save features.

BluRay - lights on

Cable close

Cable far

AV rack far

AV rack near

Sweet.... I'm still debating this or the laminate....

Just an aside... DAMN. I get drawn into some of those threads in the AVS forums.. My God, people over there are so over the top.. The pictures are insane.. the craftsmanship people put into Theaters / Bars / Floors / Sound proofing / Audio..... I can read those threads and look at pics all day.

When this thing is done I may never leave the house / basement.

One day / night my wife yelled down "Are you STILL working in the basement???"

I yelled back up "Just wait!!!!!!! Maybe I'll put in an intercom if you need to reach me"

BluRay - lights on

Cable close

Cable far

AV rack far

AV rack near

Just an aside... DAMN. I get drawn into some of those threads in the AVS forums.. My God, people over there are so over the top.. The pictures are insane.. the craftsmanship people put into Theaters / Bars / Floors / Sound proofing / Audio..... I can read those threads and look at pics all day.

I yelled back up "Just wait!!!!!!! Maybe I'll put in an intercom if you need to reach me"
Yea, I tried not to get too caught up in everything I "could" do. Its hard. But some of those people spent more money on wiring than I spent on my whole basement.

BluRay - lights on

Cable close

Cable far

AV rack far

AV rack near

Yea, I tried not to get too caught up in everything I "could" do. Its hard. But some of those people spent more money on wiring than I spent on my whole basement.
It's not even getting caught up in the extremes they go to.... Just simple stuff like building a bar or the paint mixtures.... I read about paint mixtures all night last night.

What paint did you go with? I'm now leaning towards paint.

It's not even getting caught up in the extremes they go to.... Just simple stuff like building a bar or the paint mixtures.... I read about paint mixtures all night last night.

Oh how I sooo remember being there. Trust me when I say silverscreen was (is) plenty good for what you want. And very simple and cheap (compared to the other options). I just went back and looked at some of the threads/posts I made when I was doing this.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/search.php?searchid=16098452

Reminds me. I bought a roll of this screen border and never used it. Figured with the black wall I didn't need it (when I ordered it I didn't plan on painting the wall black - sooo glad I did). Now that I think about it I did most of the basement on the fly. Didn't even plan the "theater" until the ceiling was half up. lol. Anyway if you're going to put up a border let me know, you can have mine for that price and I'll ship it on my dime :mansion:

If you are handy enough to finish your basement, you are overqualified to build your own screen. Here's the general instructions I followed to make my own screen.

I was recently at a friend's house who bought a professional screen and I really can't tell the difference between his and my $35 DIY version.

Oh how I sooo remember being there. Trust me when I say silverscreen was (is) plenty good for what you want. And very simple and cheap (compared to the other options). I just went back and looked at some of the threads/posts I made when I was doing this.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/search.php?searchid=16098452

Reminds me. I bought a roll of this screen border and never used it. Figured with the black wall I didn't need it (when I ordered it I didn't plan on painting the wall black - sooo glad I did). Now that I think about it I did most of the basement on the fly. Didn't even plan the "theater" until the ceiling was half up. lol. Anyway if you're going to put up a border let me know, you can have mine for that price and I'll ship it on my dime :mansion:
Link is broke....

Still amazes me more people don't do this.
:lmao: I got mine "officially" fired up Saturday night for the Jets / Colts game.....AMAZING!!!!!!!!I walk into places like Costco with all their 55'' or whatever TV's lines up @ 2k+ and I just laugh at them..... I wouldn't even want such a "Unit" around...I think Everyone needs to assess their wall sitation and pick which one they can project on. And you can always use a pull down screen and not use the projector all the time if you want your little 50'' around for the News or something.This new Epson 8350 is slightly over 1k and is the latest and greatest at that price point... You can save money on other projectors especially if your light situation is controlled but DAMN THIS THING IS AMAZING!!!!!!!I was chronicalling my basement adventures in another thread I believe and will get around to updating it but, needless to say, I've been down in the basement A LOT.

Anyone ever set up a projector and it was TOO BIG????I put tape on my wall last night for a 92'' screen and it feels overwhelming.. I was like :lmao: Whoa it's like 90% of the wall....thinking of trying a 84'' tape tonight.
BTW.... I wound up closer to 96''....... I still haven't Framed it out to get my exact measurement.I'm a believer now... I could NOT have gone too big.

Basement Pic

Finally got a pic uploaded.... It was a mad rush to get the projector/room going for the playoffs.. And the Playoffs WERE A BLAST... for a little while :(

Looking back at my basement project...

The Spray painting of the wall didn't turn out right. So, I'm pretty set against that whole decision... That paint mix they tell you to mix up is almost like water. You really need to just dust cover the whole wall. I did get a little annoyed at the whole AVS Forum stuff where, instead of telling you the info you want they kind of point you in a direction to read up... I know the people there have good intentions but, it would be nice if it was all layed out a little better.

The picture is damn good.. I think sporting events are more forgiving though and once I watch a few movies I may wind up sanding and painting the wall over. Uggghhh....

Reaper - with the hardwood floors, don't you have trouble with acoustics?

Nice job with the mount. Looks really good!

Reaper - with the hardwood floors, don't you have trouble with acoustics?Nice job with the mount. Looks really good!
I'm going to get a bunch of throw rugs eventually. BTW, that's a cheap laminate from Costco that's real good quality for the price. I used an underlayment that allows air circulation and supposedly keeps the floor warmer - that was pretty cheap as well, it's called All-In-One flooring.But so far, I've only watched a handful of sporting events at moderate sound levels.I haven't sat down and watched a movie with full effects...As a matter of fact you can see my speaker wire was short - I just got more wire from Monoprice yesterday and I needed a splitter for the Subwoofer so, the woofer hasn't even been hooked up yet.

Reaper - with the hardwood floors, don't you have trouble with acoustics?

Nice job with the mount. Looks really good!
Totally agree on the mount - that's really well done. Looks like a great space to hang out.
Thanks.. I could get that thing up another inch but, supposedly that might effect picture quality with light bouncing off the ceiling.... That mount is the Chief Mount which is pretty good. I returned another mount that didn't give you all the flexibility this one does.

The bottom of the projector is at 6ft.... Which is damn scary when your team can't punch it in with 4 tries from the 1 yard line.

I still need to get a couch which will go directly under the projector.

I built a Music Room behind this and a small kids play room - more pics to come.

The house I'm looking at really doesn't have a spot that's gonna fly for this. I may have to use it outside instead.

Users who are viewing this thread