What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

P.S.A. For Your Job - Air Conditioner Information (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
So, I'm in the HVAC industry. I run a service department for a company here in KC. Mostly residential. I pretty much answer all the calls, schedule appointments, dispatch the techs, order parts and supplies - pretty much anything related to service. 

So I figured it might be helpful to folks out there and provide some helpful tips should you ever need any kind of service. So here goes:

1. Be nice. Remember - the person who answers the phone and schedules has the fate of your service call in their hands. Being an ##### automatically puts you at the back of the line.

2. No small talk. If I know you that's fine - the usual friendly banter is ok. But the quicker I can get all of your information the quicker I can get you on the schedule. I don't need you to try and diagnose your issue or tell me everything about your system - that's what the service tech is for.

3. Be flexible. A tech's schedule is really hard to predict. The time I give you is a ballpark time and sometimes the day doesn't always go as planned. And if he's late please don't call me and complain - once they start their first call of the day anything can happen. We will get there when we can. In turn, I will try and be respectful of your time as well and try to set a realistic expectation from the get-go. 

4. When you are given a price for repair, don't call me and tell me "that part is only $xxxx on the internet".  Yes, you are correct. Some parts are not expensive. But part of that repair is labor. My tech also has to drive and get the part. You are paying for me to answer the phone to get you service. You are paying for gas and van repairs and health insurance and so forth. We also like to make some profit. We are a business. The cost is what the cost is. Our goal is not to screw you - it's to make a fair profit at a fair price to you.

5. Beware of sales technicians and companies that utilize this strategy. Unfortunately our industry is going to this model. Sales technicians work on commission - they are on a quota each day for revenue. They will find something to repair. Companies will use maintenance agreements at a cheap price and then find something while they are there that needs a repair. Don't ever go for the "cheap" maintenance plan. Our company does not do this. We are now a unicorn in this industry.  Most of your larger HVAC companies are going with this business model.

6. Beware of technicians who say your HVAC system needs replacement if it's 12 years of age or younger. A system that young rarely needs to be replaced. An HVAC system should last 15-20 years with regular maintenance and cleaning. 

7. Change your filter often. This is the cheapest and easiest way for your equipment to last longer.

8. Wash out your air conditioner every spring. Just a simple hose and sprayer will do the trick. DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER.

9. Keep your dogs away from your air conditioner. Their piss will eat away the coils on the air conditioner.

10. Your humidifier pad needs to be changed every year.

11. Turn your equipment on BEFORE you need it. In the spring, on the first warm day after you've cleaned it turn it on for 20 minutes. Same with the furnace. Most repairs happen when the equipment is turned on for the first time of the season.

12. If you liked your service, leave the company a nice Google review. These help tremendously with website ratings and awareness. Tell your friends. Word-of-mouth helps a lot of the smaller companies especially since they usually don't have the deep pockets for advertising. 

Anyway, that's about all I can think of for now. If any of you have any advice that might help the rest of us navigate the world feel free to lay it on us.

Oh, and shtick welcome too.   :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
3. Be flexible. A tech's schedule is really hard to predict. The time I give you is a ballpark time and sometimes the day doesn't always go as planned. And if he's late please don't call me and complain - once they start their first call of the day anything can happen. We will get there when we can. In turn, I will try and be respectful of your time as well and try to set a realistic expectation from the get-go. 
This is why I like the first appointment of the day.  Ultimately my time is more valuable that a tech, so late in the day "maybe we make it maybe we don't" is just about a no go for me these days.

Same goes for flights.  While 5:30am flights suck, at least you know they will have the plane and crew there to get going.

Good info here. Especially about dogs peeing on air conditioners. I may surround my AC unit with an electric fence.

2. No small talk. If I know you that's fine - the usual friendly banter is ok. But the quicker I can get all of your information the quicker I can get you on the schedule. I don't need you to try and diagnose your issue or tell me everything about your system - that's what the service tech is for.

2. As a general statement regarding the problem and "the service tech is there for".............Having more information about what is happening may help the tech be prepared for what material or issue he may be facing.  There is a line between talking out of your ### and just providing the information you have noticed.  Not everyone can be informative but if you have pertinent information it is good to relay it.  

3.  This goes both ways.  Yes, stuff happens throughout the day but getting a ball park show time of 1pm and then not hearing anything all day until 4pm is a problem.  If stuff is going bad on an earlier call it does help if the customer gets a call letting them know things have changed.  

The bottom line with any dealings with people is to be kind and understanding.  Stuff happens but communicating (both ways) is really what sets good customers/businesses apart.  

3.  This goes both ways.  Yes, stuff happens throughout the day but getting a ball park show time of 1pm and then not hearing anything all day until 4pm is a problem.  If stuff is going bad on an earlier call it does help if the customer gets a call letting them know things have changed.  
Yeah, I do this constantly once I see the day going awry. 

Thanks, ChiefD.  Can you define "often"?
Depends on what kind you have:

1. Cheap 1" filter: monthly

2. Pleated 1" filter: every couple of months

3. Pleated 4" Filter: 3-6 months depending on how you use your furnace.  If you run your blower 100% of the time you will want to change them more frequently.

Just check them on occasion and if they look dirty, change them.

6. Beware of technicians who say your HVAC system needs replacement if it's 12 years of age or younger. A system that young rarely needs to be replaced. An HVAC system should last 15-20 years with regular maintenance and cleaning. 
This is great advice.  We have a two zone central AC.  One zone stopped working about 6 or 7 years ago.  We had someone come look at it and they said we'd need to replace the fan ($3,500).  We had a second person (highly recommended) take a look.  Said we'd need to replace the fans for both zones ($6,000).  Had a third guy (recommended by someone different) take a look - fixed it for $500 and it's still working fine.  Haven't had any problems with the other zone yet.  

Depends on what kind you have:

1. Cheap 1" filter: monthly

2. Pleated 1" filter: every couple of months

3. Pleated 4" Filter: 3-6 months depending on how you use your furnace.  If you run your blower 100% of the time you will want to change them more frequently.

Just check them on occasion and if they look dirty, change them.
2" pleated?

4. When you are given a price for repair, don't call me and tell me "that part is only $xxxx on the internet".  Yes, you are correct. Some parts are not expensive. But part of that repair is labor. My tech also has to drive and get the part. You are paying for me to answer the phone to get you service. You are paying for gas and van repairs and health insurance and so forth. We also like to make some profit. We are a business. The cost is what the cost is. Our goal is not to screw you - it's to make a fair profit at a fair price to you.

:banned:
Very well said and good point.  I am in the car service business. We are in business to make money and a profit.  We are not there to "hose" you.  You can search the internet and youtube all you want, but my technicians have gone through countless hours of training and have spend $10K plus on tools in order to be able to work on your car.  If you would have brought it to me to diagnose it before you spent hundreds of dollars throwing different parts at it, it would have cost less to fix it.  Yes, it only took my technician 2 hours to fix it and the book shows 3 hours so that is what I charged you.  The next job may take him 5 hours and the book only shows 4 hours so that is an hour that he worked that he is not going to get paid for.  They try to find the most efficient way to properly fix your car so they can make more money.

So, with spring and summer right around the corner, here's your equipment PSA.

If you have an older air conditioner that uses the older R22 refrigerant and you have had to add some every year - start shopping now for a new air conditioner. Supplies of R22 are limited and reaaaalllllly expensive. 

And on top of that furnaces and air conditioners are getting hard to come by right now. If you know you might need a new air conditioner this summer, I would start getting bids now.

cool thread.  i rarely use my ac.  i have never done a lick of maintenance on it in 20 years.  my "logic" has been, if it ain't broke.......and i fear if i have it serviced, the dude is gonna tell me the flux capacitor is bad.  replace it!  

anything i can do on my own?  or just let it ride?

My office is mostly women and they always complain it's cold. I'm usually warm.

How do I convince them they are WRONG?

13 if you let the tech know you are a brohan there is a better than 50 50 chance he is a brohan too and you will make a friend for life and when he comes over to watch a game your ac will be working perfectly and making friends is what life is all about take that to the bank brochachos 

cool thread.  i rarely use my ac.  i have never done a lick of maintenance on it in 20 years.  my "logic" has been, if it ain't broke.......and i fear if i have it serviced, the dude is gonna tell me the flux capacitor is bad.  replace it!  

anything i can do on my own?  or just let it ride?
About the only thing you can do is wash it out.

I wouldn't have a technician touch it at this point until you need a repair. Those valves haven't been opened in 20 years so they may do more damage than good.

So, we are in a very early for us heat wave that will start cooling down tomorrow. We are a pretty small company (3 techs and a couple of installers). Since Monday I've had 484 phone calls.   :eek:     :lol:

Things I've heard this week and from who:

Guy With Three Air Conditioners: "what do you mean you can't come today? I'm dying here in my tv room"

Longtime Customer: "I've been with you for 50 years and you can't do my planned maintenance for two weeks" (I sent out notices two months ago to call in and schedule)

So if any of you are looking to replace your air conditioners:

Don't do it right now unless you absolutely have to. If you can wait, you need to wait. Equipment pricing is getting stupid expensive right now. Basically to the point of greed by the various distributors. It's pretty sickening right now. 

Just an FYI. 

Hey Chief, my 23 year old AC and Furnace are still going strong…for now. I figured I should at least have an idea of replacements beforehand. I’m in Minnesota.

Does a heat pump work as well or better than a plain old replacement AC? Even though it gets colder than a witch’s t***y in the winter?

Hey Chief, my 23 year old AC and Furnace are still going strong…for now. I figured I should at least have an idea of replacements beforehand. I’m in Minnesota.

Does a heat pump work as well or better than a plain old replacement AC? Even though it gets colder than a witch’s t***y in the winter?
I would not get a heat pump in Minnesota. They are really only efficient until the outdoor temp hits about 32 degrees. Then your backup heat kicks in. With your climate it makes no sense.

Plus they are more expensive at the start and don’t last as long as a straight AC, so you replace it sooner.

i like the limit chit chat, but you remember this too.  don’t me ask how my day is going, you don’t know me.  

i like the limit chit chat, but you remember this too.  don’t me ask how my day is going, you don’t know me.  

I may have mentioned this in the pet peeve thread but my wife used to always ask everyone that. I finally convinced her that the person on the other end would really appreciate it if you stopped with that tedium. Neither person cares about the other yet. Maybe we hit it off but initially, just say Hi and FFS, go on about what it is you're calling about. 

I once had a neighbor who tried to use his outdoor AC unit and filter to make beef jerky.  I think he ended up having to replace the unit.  Is this something you've seen before and on the off chance, have you tasted any of the resulting beef jerky?

My system can take a 4" filter, but I currently have a 1" in it.  Should I pony up for the 4"?  

My system can take a 4" filter, but I currently have a 1" in it.  Should I pony up for the 4"?  
It depends. If you have enough return air I would go with the 4". It will trap way more than a 1".

You'll want to be careful though - if your system doesn't have enough return air that 4" may block too much air and freeze up your system. So if you put it in and can noticeably hear your system appear to slow down, then take it out and put the old one back in.

ChiefD said:
It depends. If you have enough return air I would go with the 4". It will trap way more than a 1".

You'll want to be careful though - if your system doesn't have enough return air that 4" may block too much air and freeze up your system. So if you put it in and can noticeably hear your system appear to slow down, then take it out and put the old one back in.
I have that same issue.  Sometimes my filter is just too much for the, um, system, so I have to ease it back and forth a while until the system is fully ready.  

So if any of you are looking to replace your air conditioners:

Don't do it right now unless you absolutely have to. If you can wait, you need to wait. Equipment pricing is getting stupid expensive right now. Basically to the point of greed by the various distributors. It's pretty sickening right now. 

Just an FYI. 
Do you have any advice on brands?  Also, have you noticed more problems with the higher seer units?  

I just bought a new HVAC system and I just wanted to give everyone my advice on how to get the best deal  :

1. Be extremely rude. Remember that the person who answers the phone and schedules needs to be put in their place. Being a jerk automatically puts me at the front of the line.  You need to let these bozos know who's in charge.

2. Lots of small talk. The more banter the better, lots of insults always gets the attention I deserve. But the longer I can keep the service writer on the phone the better, this goes hand in glove with my customer knows best strategy. I know I need to try and diagnose my issue and tell this guy everything about my system - service techs always lean on me, I'm pretty sharp, they know this.  Without my years of knowledge and awesome life experiences, they'd be lost.

3. Don't be flexible. A tech's schedule is pretty easy to predict. The time I'm given should be set in stone. And if he's late please call and complain - once the tech starts their first call of the day - it's all gravy after that. They better damn well get there on time, my time is way more valuable. Don't even try and be respectful to these guys, you need to show them who's boss otherwise, they'll be late, they'll make up some BS story, it's the same everywhere in all businesses these days. 

4. When you are given a price for repair, you need to call the service tech and let them know "that part is only $xxxx on the internet".  I know I'm correct. Some parts are not expensive. But part of that repair is labor and we all know labor is FREE. These techs get their parts in bulk even cheaper on the internet. You are paying for some guy to answer the phone to get you service, of course we know we could all do this with a simple google calendar.  Why do we need a middle man?  Everyone has to pay for gas, why am I paying for their gas and van repairs and health insurance and so forth?  Who's paying for my gas, truck repairs and health insurance?  They're all about the profit. Remember, they're just a  a business. The cost is just the starting point. Their goal is to totally screw you - it's to make a high profit - not at a fair price to you.

5. Always trust sales technicians and companies that utilize this strategy. Fortunately the HVAC industry is going to this model. Sales technicians don't work on commission - they are not on some quota each day for revenue. They won't find something to repair. Companies will never use maintenance agreements at a cheap price and then find something while they are there that needs a repair. Always go for the "cheap" maintenance plan. Good companies always do this. These awesome companies are not a unicorn in this industry.  Most of your larger HVAC companies are the way to go!

6. Never beware of technicians who say your HVAC system needs replacement if it's 12 years of age or younger. A system that old always needs to be replaced. An HVAC system should last  no more than 5 -10 years, it's maintenance free and what's there to clean? 

7. Don't bother changing your filter very often. This is difficult, inconvenient, expensive and it won't make any difference, it's just another way for these jerks to rip you off.

8. Don't wash out your air conditioner every spring, that's what rain water is for but if you gonna do it, do it right and use a pressure washer on FULL BLAST!

9. Let your dogs piss all over your air conditioner, that urine will nicely clean those nasty coils.

10. Your humidifier pad is good for life.

11. Don't turn your equipment on before you need it. In the spring, what's the point?  You're just wasting electricity. Same with the furnace. Wait to turn it on until the hottest or coldest day of the year, best way to test your system.

12. If you liked your service, don't leave the company a nice Google review, no-one reads these anyway and don't tell your friends, that will just make that company busy. Do you really want them so busy that you have to wait on them?  No. Word-of-mouth never helps, especially the smaller companies since they usually  have the deep pockets for advertising, let's face it, they all do.

All kidding aside, I did just buy a new HVAC system (my furnace was 30+ years old, the AC was 20 or so years old.)  I got quotes from all different vendors but in my heart, I knew from day 1 which company I was going to go with but I wanted to verify their system replacement price was inline and it was. I think sometimes you have to have gone through a crappy experience to realize a great experience.  I bought my first system on our first home (like 25 years ago or whenever) from a big company and it was a horrible experience.  Everything that could go wrong did, they had to come out many, many times to fix their work, it was a nightmare, I overpaid for a crappy system and I'm glad I got rid of that house and that crappy HVAC system experience was seared into my mind. 

So, here's my story on my recent purchase :

It's January 1, 2018, the coldest day of the year.  I call this small, local company that I used once before to clean my AC and check it over.  The owner of the company came to my home, he's at least 70 years old and he verified what I already knew which was that I needed a new blower motor.  The owner called and had another tech come out and start disassembling my furnace.  The owner drove out, on the coldest day of the year, and picked up a new blower motor for my then 30 year old furnace from way over on the other side of town.  He watched over the seasoned tech to re-install the new blower like it was the most crucial job in the world, this wasn't schtick, this was the owner giving a crap about a guy and his family.

It's a very small company but they do amazing work.  This was the year, it was time, I did my research, I had a whole system in mind that I wanted based on my research.  Amazingly enough to me, this company sold the exact brand, units, sizes I wanted  but I let them tell me what they would recommend.  They gave me options and I chose what I was presented with (which again was exactly what I researched) and their price was more than fair, I was blown away.  They said it would take a few weeks to get me in, I told them I didn't care, schedule me last, my stuff kinda works now, it's just that it leaks Freon like a sieve, it's loud, it's 20 something years old, I just wanted it replaced when they had time, no rush. The technicians did amazing work. They were clean, fast, quiet and extremely nice.  The owner of the company showed up on installation day, made sure everything was going correctly, brought out new filters for me and checked over the work.

The owner has two sons.  I took the owner and his two sons aside and I said "do you know why I bough this system from you?"  I said "because when I needed help the most, you were there for me and my family on the coldest day of the year."  You treated me and my family like it was your family.  No-one will ever touch any of this as long as I live except you, I've recommend you to my friends and family and my brother will be getting his HVAC system from you pretty soon here., Thank you for everything!

It's no schtick or bs, this is exactly how it all went down and my new system is pretty awesome, I love it, couldn't be happier.  Do your homework, pick a smaller company, don't go with the big companies out of laziness, do your research!

Do you have any advice on brands?  Also, have you noticed more problems with the higher seer units?  
I would stick with one of the major brands, in my opinion. So you are looking at Carrier, Trane, and Lennox. Rheem also really makes a pretty nice system also.The reason I would stick with one of these is due to parts availability more than anything. When you go with an off brand it can take a little more time to get parts. Some random notes:

1. Lennox has had some real issues with their evaporator coils the last 5 years or so. We have changed out a TON of these under warranty. They know it’s an issue and supposedly has been fixed, and we won’t really know for a couple more years. But of all the major brands, I’d probably stay away from Lennox right now. 

2. Carrier. This is the brand we install the most of. I would say they have been pretty reliable over the years. I have a new Carrier system in my house (installed in September 2021.)

3. Trane. Pretty solid machines. They make their own compressors, while a lot of the industry uses the Copeland scroll compressor. 

As far as the higher seer stuff, it’s fine. Communicating equipment is popular right now and variable speed motors, but I will say that the more technology you buy in this stuff the more expensive replacement parts get. So after that 10 year parts warranty, if you have a variable speed blower motor and that motor module goes out that manages the variable speed, you are gonna pay about $1500 for that repair. 

High end thermostats - same thing. I use an Ecobee WiFi stat that I can access through my phone, and it works great. Installed cost for a normal person would be about $350 - $400. Some of these big touch screen communicating stats can run up to $1000.

For me, I bought a simple two stage, high efficiency gas furnace (95% efficient).  It has a ECM motor, but they all do these days. No variable speed. AC is Carriers single stage 16 seer AC. Very simple.

I would keep it relatively simple rather than spending for all the extra technology. Sure, it’s cool and all and they can help with some comfort issues, but in the long run they cost you a lot more money. Just my opinion.

My wife and I will be in a bidding war for a new house tomorrow (further west suburbs of Chicago, nearer here both kids have recently moved).  We really want this place - a fantastic ranch house that was expanded/upgraded five years ago by the current owners.

Something I haven’t seen before: the furnace and water heater are in a small space in the one stall garage.  They’re on an inner wall and furthest from the garage entrance.  They’re behind some sliding mortarboard panels.  Is this unusual?  Is this concerning?  The situation has obviously worked for the owners.  I assume the equipment needs a reasonable amount of airflow, so the space can’t be too heavily insulated. :shrug:

My wife and I will be in a bidding war for a new house tomorrow (further west suburbs of Chicago, nearer here both kids have recently moved).  We really want this place - a fantastic ranch house that was expanded/upgraded five years ago by the current owners.

Something I haven’t seen before: the furnace and water heater are in a small space in the one stall garage.  They’re on an inner wall and furthest from the garage entrance.  They’re behind some sliding mortarboard panels.  Is this unusual?  Is this concerning?  The situation has obviously worked for the owners.  I assume the equipment needs a reasonable amount of airflow, so the space can’t be too heavily insulated. :shrug:
If the water heater leaks will it flow away from the furnace? Is the furnace off the ground a bit? The garage is unheated? I  guess the furnace has enough radiant heat to keep the cold water supply line from freezing? Like you said it's been working for the current owners. 

If the water heater leaks will it flow away from the furnace? Is the furnace off the ground a bit? The garage is unheated? I  guess the furnace has enough radiant heat to keep the cold water supply line from freezing? Like you said it's been working for the current owners. 
They are both elevated 4-5" off the primary garage floor.  I would assume, then, that a water heater leak would spill to the garage floor before affecting the furnace.  The garage is unheated, though the garage door looks to have a flush connection with the cement flooring.  Also, the garage does not have a window or a side door (which could easily allow for cold air entry).

I'd love a two/three stall, well-lit, expansive garage.  But the wifey in particular wants a ranch house with garage access and first-floor laundry (happy wife; happy life), and finding a really nice, move-in ready ranch house that fits the bill is very difficult.  This house checks all the boxes except for the smallish garage ...and, then, the oddity of the furnace/water heater location.  (We also trade commutes: The 5 minute commute to my university and 35-40 minute commute to our grandsons for what would be a 5 minute drive to the grandsons and a 35 minute work commute.  I'm fine with that!)

So @ChiefD, I'm working with a local company I trust to find/fix a coolant leak in my downstairs system.  Today they are cutting all three pieces apart and filling with nitrogen to see which part leaks.  They've done the leak stop and sniffer already with no success.  Also looked for obvious signs of the leak (oily spots).  

Here's my question.  In the automotive world they add a UV die to the coolant system because they've realized that is more effective than sniffers.  Why doesn't HVAC do the same?  

Thanks for all your advice in the thread.  

Poke_4_Life said:
So @ChiefD, I'm working with a local company I trust to find/fix a coolant leak in my downstairs system.  Today they are cutting all three pieces apart and filling with nitrogen to see which part leaks.  They've done the leak stop and sniffer already with no success.  Also looked for obvious signs of the leak (oily spots).  

Here's my question.  In the automotive world they add a UV die to the coolant system because they've realized that is more effective than sniffers.  Why doesn't HVAC do the same?  

Thanks for all your advice in the thread.  
That's a good question and I honestly don't know the answer. Usually in the residential world the leak is in about 3 possible spots:

1. The indoor evaporator coil

2. The outdoor condenser coil

3. Service valves 

Normally the sniffer gets you pretty close and what usually happens is:

1. If it's in the evaporator coil we just replace the coil. There are so many possible spots the leak could be and it's almost impossible to repair.

2. Same with the condenser coil. We will usually replace the condenser coil only if it's under warranty. Otherwise you may as well just get a new AC because the cost of the condenser coil is insanely expensive. 

3. Service valves are usually pretty easy to repair and the leak is pretty easy to find.

We also use the nitrogen test if we can't pinpoint it.  As far as the leak stop stuff, we don't really use it that often because the success rate is pretty low with it and it just costs money that could just go to an actual repair or replacement.

That's a good question and I honestly don't know the answer. Usually in the residential world the leak is in about 3 possible spots:

1. The indoor evaporator coil

2. The outdoor condenser coil

3. Service valves 

Normally the sniffer gets you pretty close and what usually happens is:

1. If it's in the evaporator coil we just replace the coil. There are so many possible spots the leak could be and it's almost impossible to repair.

2. Same with the condenser coil. We will usually replace the condenser coil only if it's under warranty. Otherwise you may as well just get a new AC because the cost of the condenser coil is insanely expensive. 

3. Service valves are usually pretty easy to repair and the leak is pretty easy to find.

We also use the nitrogen test if we can't pinpoint it.  As far as the leak stop stuff, we don't really use it that often because the success rate is pretty low with it and it just costs money that could just go to an actual repair or replacement.
All good.  They told me the leak stop wasn't a guarantee.  It didn't work.  In my case I think it may be in the lines in the slab, but there's easy attic access between the outside and inside so that won't be a hard fix.  Otherwise like you said it's one of the two coils.  

Oh, and we sold our house (under contract) while this has all been going on.  So while I don't want to screw the new buyers, I'm not spending anymore than necessary either.  Guess I could check if the buyers want to supplement the cost to replace the entire AC if it is the condenser coil.  The unit is 15/16 years old, so it is nearing life expectancy.

In case anyone cares, it was right at the start of the aluminum in the condenser coil.  So I can order a coil that will have to be custom made and will take who knows how long or just get a replacement AC.  New owners of my house get a new AC, as the inspection is this week and I don't want this impacting closing.  

More $$$.  Fun.  

Users who are viewing this thread