What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Projectorguys (1 Viewer)

My next protector purchase will likely be the Epson Home Cinema 4000. The 5040 is nicer, of course, but the $500 difference is significant.

So I installed a projector on my lower deck this past summer - I bought it for just a hundred from a local office that was liquidating everything.  It's an old NEC brand that has a 1200x800 (or so) resolution.  Works fine, but it's got to be very, very dark for a decent picture.  The big issue was running wiring back inside to a receiver (and DVD player).  Anyway, I'm just going to use it till the light bulb in it goes - which could be a year or two, maybe more.  Anyway, should it go, I'd like to get a decent replacement.  1080p is all that's needed, but considering it's being used outdoors (I'd remove and store it when not in use) it will need lots of brightness.  Any suggestions?

So I installed a projector on my lower deck this past summer - I bought it for just a hundred from a local office that was liquidating everything.  It's an old NEC brand that has a 1200x800 (or so) resolution.  Works fine, but it's got to be very, very dark for a decent picture.  The big issue was running wiring back inside to a receiver (and DVD player).  Anyway, I'm just going to use it till the light bulb in it goes - which could be a year or two, maybe more.  Anyway, should it go, I'd like to get a decent replacement.  1080p is all that's needed, but considering it's being used outdoors (I'd remove and store it when not in use) it will need lots of brightness.  Any suggestions?
Not sure of the cost but I use Optoma HD27 Projector.  It works pretty well.  I can see the picture about 1/2 hour before sunset when the screen is west of the projector.  We usually start the movies at sunset.

Why that one?
Because it's capable of receiving a 4k signal (although it's not a true 4k projector and is referred to as Faux-k) and has awesome specs for only $2k. Here's a good review.

The only true 4k projector on the market is still $8000. I've seen it in action and in all honesty (and unsurprisingly) it's not worth an extra $6k by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol - i think I paid $500 for my projector.

I feel like I want a new one- don't need it but want 

I'm still rocking my Panny PT-AE900u that I bought 11+ years ago.  I think I'm on my second (third?) lamp but otherwise still going strong.  My two boys really like watching movies down there, and football is great, too.  Some day I'll have to upgrade it (and maybe my main sound unit along with it) but for now I'm a happy guy enjoying the low investment like a champ.

Anybody have either of these "entry level" projectors?

BenQ HD2050  $699

Optoma HDX142  $549

Both are very highly rated, Optoma just seems to have less inputs/features...?  
I don't have the BenQ and have never seen one but I have seen many, many favorable reviews. At that price, the main alternative is the Epson Home Cinema 2040.

Unless, that is, you can find a refurbished Epson 8350 which go for about that price.

Thinking about losing the pull down screen and painting a wall for a screen instead. Have a basement plan that involves rearranging and moving a hot water heater and putting up some new walls, etc.

Anyone paint a wall for their projector? Any tips, tricks, dos and dont's?

Also thinking about putting an electric fireplace right under the screen. Something like THIS. Don't love the fake electric flames and ####, but seems like a way easier solution than running new gas lines to the middle of the basement. And have heard way too many bad things about ventless fireplaces in basements.

There's almost too much info on this stuff. I'd refer you to AVS Forums but their nerdfights are worse than here.

About all I know is that you want the wall to be as smooth as possible (obviously) and that there is dedicated screen paint you can buy.

Alright, I am apparently an idiot. Can someone help me out here?

Have Epson 8350. Been using it for a while just by plugging HDMI from laptop into it, and have been using some computer speakers through 3.5 mm output on computer. Got kinda tired of that setup, so picked up an older Onkyo receiver and a Roku streaming stick.

Can get video from this, but I can't for the ### #### life of me figure out why there is no sound.

Onkyo HT-R370

Blah

I need a cheap sound system (two speakers ideal with an internal amp) to go with one (outdoors).  Recommendations?  

Alright, I am apparently an idiot. Can someone help me out here?

Have Epson 8350. Been using it for a while just by plugging HDMI from laptop into it, and have been using some computer speakers through 3.5 mm output on computer. Got kinda tired of that setup, so picked up an older Onkyo receiver and a Roku streaming stick.

Can get video from this, but I can't for the ### #### life of me figure out why there is no sound.

Onkyo HT-R370

Blah
You're using the Roku stick as the audio/video source?

This link makes it sound like a Roku device won't deliver both audio and video through one HDMI cable. It talks about hooking up a digital audio cable, which I know your Roku stick doesn't have.

http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?p=8838&sid=83d6c7292f65ce868480a5f83528dcb6

Get a cheap smart Blu Ray player with both HDMI and digital out?

I need some help debugging.

My projector is 1080p

My x1 box has a 1080p.  My cable box runs through an audio receiver.

Every once in awhile I watch TV and the picture I'll say has a stutter. It's not really a stutter but I notice it's not a fluid picture.

Previously when this happened, I would turn off my receiver and turn it back on and everything is fine.

If I put my cable box to 1080i it's crystal clear and no issues.  I actually don't notice much picture difference.

I guess my next steps are to wire cable box directly to project to take out the receiver?

If that's not it try a different HDMI?

If that's not it I'm out of luck?

This link makes it sound like a Roku device won't deliver both audio and video through one HDMI cable. It talks about hooking up a digital audio cable, which I know your Roku stick doesn't have.

http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?p=8838&sid=83d6c7292f65ce868480a5f83528dcb6

And do what with that? Roku stick into Blu-ray, HDMI and digital out into receiver, then HDMI out of receiver into Epson?

Or should I just return the Roku? Does Fire Stick work any better? I'm not married to the Roku idea by any stretch 

And do what with that? Roku stick into Blu-ray, HDMI and digital out into receiver, then HDMI out of receiver into Epson?
The problem is not the Roku, it is the receiver.  From the article on the receiver you originally linked to:

Onkyo HT-R370 A/V Receiver

This dedicated receiver features three HDMI pass-through inputs for high-definition video up to 1080p. This is a super-convenient solution that allows you to connect all of your HD video sources into the receiver for simplified switching. Since the HDMI inputs are pass-through, this means they do not retrieve the audio from the HDMI signal.

Options are:

1. Do what Andy said with the BR player

2. Get a receiver that has real HDMI inputs that will take the audio as well.

3. Get an HDMI Audio Extractor from Amazon for $20 and put it between the roku and the receiver. 

James

Gotcha. Thanks guys, much appreciated. The Onkyo was given to me by a friend, so I would prefer to just get the extractor I guess.

Or should I just return the Roku? Does Fire Stick work any better? I'm not married to the Roku idea by any stretch 
I was trying to say that the Blu Ray player would likely have most/all of the same streaming apps as the Roku.

Then from the BD player you would attach to the receiver the HDMI cable for video and then the digital or coaxial (depending on the BD player type) for the audio - two separate cables in other words.

My projector is 1080p

Every once in awhile I watch TV and the picture I'll say has a stutter. It's not really a stutter but I notice it's not a fluid picture.

Previously when this happened, I would turn off my receiver and turn it back on and everything is fine.

If I put my cable box to 1080i it's crystal clear and no issues.  I actually don't notice much picture difference.

I guess my next steps are to wire cable box directly to project to take out the receiver?

You're saying your cable box stutters at 1080p? But your XB1 doesn't?

My projector is 1080p

There shouldn't be any downside to just having the cable box output 1080i.  All the broadcast stuff (ABC, NBC, Fox, ect..) are either in 720p or 1080i.  The only 1080p available throug the x1 box is streaming apps.  Your TV should be able to deinterlace the signal just fine.

That being said, it should work on 1080p output.  It could be the receiver if it is not just passing the signal through but seems unlikely, you might check to make sure its not processing the video. 

1080p is not very demanding for HDMI but I suppose it could be the cable.  How long is the cable run, and have you ever had any issues with sending a 1080p signal before?

James

You're saying your cable box stutters at 1080p? But your XB1 doesn't?
I don't have an Xbox.  I'm saying that my x1 cable box (Comcast) is doing it pretty regularly now but didn't before.   I normally would shut off my audio receiver (it's an HDMI switch basically) and turn back on and it would be fixed.  But you did give me a good idea to run video through my PS4 to see if I notice it

There shouldn't be any downside to just having the cable box output 1080i.  All the broadcast stuff (ABC, NBC, Fox, ect..) are either in 720p or 1080i.  The only 1080p available throug the x1 box is streaming apps.  Your TV should be able to deinterlace the signal just fine.

That being said, it should work on 1080p output.  It could be the receiver if it is not just passing the signal through but seems unlikely, you might check to make sure its not processing the video. 

1080p is not very demanding for HDMI but I suppose it could be the cable.  How long is the cable run, and have you ever had any issues with sending a 1080p signal before?

James
This issue just started on and off about a month ago. I've had this projector and current setup for about 1 year.   It's pretty consistent now.   I have a 30ft HDMI cable.  I know that is technically a long run for that but never had problems until now

I don't have an Xbox.  I'm saying that my x1 cable box (Comcast) is doing it pretty regularly now but didn't before.   I normally would shut off my audio receiver (it's an HDMI switch basically) and turn back on and it would be fixed.  But you did give me a good idea to run video through my PS4 to see if I notice it
I get it now. Obviously I didn't know what an X1 cable box is.

I would connect it directly to the projector. If it still happens then it has to be a problem with the cable box itself and not a pass through problem with your receiver, right?

I get it now. Obviously I didn't know what an X1 cable box is.

I would connect it directly to the projector. If it still happens then it has to be a problem with the cable box itself and not a pass through problem with your receiver, right?
Yes, thats what I'm going to try.  That should be easy enough.

Was kind of thinking out loud here :)    Just wanted some confirmation :hifive:

So.  Tough to describe. Not choppy but not crisp almost a weird blur.  You really notice it when text scrolls.

Anyway PS4 using same cable to projector is fine.

So it is either the port on the receiver or the 3 ft HDMI from the cable box to the receiver or just Comcast sucking :)

So.  Tough to describe. Not choppy but not crisp almost a weird blur.  You really notice it when text scrolls.

Anyway PS4 using same cable to projector is fine.

So it is either the port on the receiver or the 3 ft HDMI from the cable box to the receiver or just Comcast sucking :)
How often do you reboot the X1? That thing is POS and needs to be rebooted on a regular basis...wouldn't surprise me if the box is going either.

How often do you reboot the X1? That thing is POS and needs to be rebooted on a regular basis...wouldn't surprise me if the box is going either.
I give up. It has to be the cable box or my receiver.   I go no receiver no issue.

Replug in all cables through receiver. No issue

Cable box reboots

Issue again.

Shrug

Some stuff just doesn't shake hands well. When I use the Xbox One to do OTA TV watching using this, I get a similar effect to what you're describing. 

But it sounds like the cable box is the issue. Did you plug the cable box directly to the projector? That'd tell you right away if it is the problem or not.

Some stuff just doesn't shake hands well. When I use the Xbox One to do OTA TV watching using this, I get a similar effect to what you're describing. 

But it sounds like the cable box is the issue. Did you plug the cable box directly to the projector? That'd tell you right away if it is the problem or not.
Yes cable box straight to projector.  No issue

PS4 through receiver to projector. No issue    This uses the same cable to go to the projector from the out port of the receiver.

Cable box rehooked up through receiver.  No issue

Issue comes back.

I did then turn off receiver.  unhook HDMI and rehook.

Issue gone.

I may replace the 3 foot HDMI from cable to receiver.   If that doesn't fix it "permanently" - I'll just chalk it up to "one of those things"

It's almost like there's some sort of static buildup happening.

I guess the only solutions are to run the video directly to the projector and a separate audio cable to the receiver...or stop watching cable!

Yes cable box straight to projector.  No issue

PS4 through receiver to projector. No issue    This uses the same cable to go to the projector from the out port of the receiver.

Cable box rehooked up through receiver.  No issue

Issue comes back.

I did then turn off receiver.  unhook HDMI and rehook.

Issue gone.

I may replace the 3 foot HDMI from cable to receiver.   If that doesn't fix it "permanently" - I'll just chalk it up to "one of those things"
Reading the reviews of the receiver:

"Updated 9/27/14
NEW PROBLEM: Receiver sound now continually turns off and on, in order to fix the problem you must shut down the receiver and then start again which is ridiculous for such an expensive receiver!"

Sounds very similar, so it is probably an issue with the receiver.  

It's almost like there's some sort of static buildup happening.

I guess the only solutions are to run the video directly to the projector and a separate audio cable to the receiver...or stop watching cable!
Yeah - its just weird - it just started happening recently.   Like I said 1080i is fine.   I don't even think my wife notices. But I'll turn on a game and am like Damn it. The players are "blurry"  Almost like i can see 2 different layers.

Reading the reviews of the receiver:

"Updated 9/27/14
NEW PROBLEM: Receiver sound now continually turns off and on, in order to fix the problem you must shut down the receiver and then start again which is ridiculous for such an expensive receiver!"

Sounds very similar, so it is probably an issue with the receiver.  
I never posted my receiver :unsure:

Yeah - its just weird - it just started happening recently.   Like I said 1080i is fine.   I don't even think my wife notices. But I'll turn on a game and am like Damn it. The players are "blurry"  Almost like i can see 2 different layers.

I never posted my receiver :unsure:
Ok.  That was the moops with the Onkyo. 

So I replaced the HDMI cable from the cable box to the receiver.   So far so good :shrug: :)
I'm late to the thread - I'd have guessed it's the 30 ft. HDMI - I have 25' runs in my basement HT setup, and I was really worried about them.  They're behind sheetrock, so I ran 1 huge guage HDMI, one active (Redmere) HDMI, and 4 sets of Cat6 incase I had to go with baluns.  So far the Redmere is holding up well.

If you have issues again, try these two things:

1) Get an active HDMI cable.  I think you can probably get a short one and join it in with the existing, but the best way is to get a long active one.  Monoprice has several.  I'm using the Cabernet series I think.

2) If you have a universal remote, change the order in which your devices turn on.  I had major issues with my system at first, ONLY with my BluRay player.  Everything ran from the device to my receiver, then from the receiver over the 25' Redmere HDMI to the projector.  With the BluRay, it would drop picture/sound every 10 minutes or so for a second or two.  Only on the projector (not the TV), and only with BluRay.  I read it was potentially a handshake issue, so I switched the order in which my devices powered up.  Apparently something about that was impacting the handshake.  No issues since.

Users who are viewing this thread