What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (1 Viewer)

Why would you think this?
From what I've seen Cutler isn't very good and Moore did perform decently in 2016 in a limited capacity and did OK in 2011 also.  From an NFL standpoint I don't see Cutler being better than Moore, or at least not much better.

shows you that the league don't want Kap in it...I think Cutler is a better pocket passer...and Jay is a terrible teammate...however Miami just didn't want the Kap distraction.
Enough with this terrible teammate stuff. Old narrative. So many players have came out in support of Jay. It's old stuff. 

From what I've seen Cutler isn't very good and Moore did perform decently in 2016 in a limited capacity and did OK in 2011 also.  From an NFL standpoint I don't see Cutler being better than Moore, or at least not much better.
Not even close. Cutler didn't luck into starting for over 10 years while Moore rode the bench when he was better.  You can argue over Tannehill, who I think Cutler is better than as well, but not Moore. He's below average at best. 

Not even close. Cutler didn't luck into starting for over 10 years while Moore rode the bench when he was better.  You can argue over Tannehill, who I think Cutler is better than as well, but not Moore. He's below average at best. 
Perhaps they are both "average at best"?

As a Dolphin fan I've wanted nothing but success for this organization for the last 35+ years.  I've lived and breathed every down of Dolphin football during that time.

As a Cuban American, I would have instantly rooted for every opponent to beat us if they would have decided to sign Kap.  The city of Miami was ready to revolt if Kap would have been signed...you're talking about a moron who wore a T-shirt advocating the reign of a dictator that Cubans consider their equivalent of Hitler.  A man who killed countless innocent Cubans and persecuted even more.  There would have been booing after completions, incompletions, TD passes, and interceptions.  There would have been people picketing and protesting outside the stadium after every home game...and that's assuming they won.  If they started losing the city was liable to burn the stadium down to the ground.

Phins had no choice, it was either sign Cutler or roll with nothing but Moore.  At least now they have 2 startable quarterbacks and avoided alienating a good portion of the fan base.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm firmly of the opinion both of these guys are upgrades over Tannehill.  

Last edited by a moderator:
QB 14 if he plays every game.

Landry, Parker, JThomas, Ajayi .... they've got some people who can catch. No better than what Cutler had to work with in 2014 IMO

I've been a Cutler guy forever.  Owned him for several years.  Here's the thing, and it's quite simple.  He's a gunslinger.  Cannon for an arm but frequently throws the devastating interception.  He's prone to making bad throws under pressure and makes lots of bad decisions when under duress.  But the guy can play.  Love him or hate him, he is a solid if not spectacular starting QB in the NFL, and with proper coaching and a solid run game, can minimize his bad decisions and horrific INT's.  But he's a package deal.  He's gonna have great games and games he breaks your heart with a terrible pick 6.  He is what he is.  Gase being there makes it the perfect opportunity for him to come in and have success for one year. 

I feel great about Cutler, not so much because of what he will do in Miami* but because in a very deep dynasty league- I shipped him off last season in a trade where I gave him and my 1st rounder for this year in exchange for Brees. Brees helped me run the table so that 1st ended up being the last pick in the first round. In the off season the team owner dropped him after the retirement announcement. After the Tannehill injury I went into all my leagues to see if he was available and this was the only one that he was, so I picked him up. So, it cost me a late round pick to get Brees (which I ended up packaging in a deal that I got Aaron Rodgers). It now gives me some flexibility to make some more moves to get this team younger as it is too long in the tooth. 

*I think Cutler will do well. He has always been a better fantasy QB than a real QB. He has been his best under Gase and now has the best supporting cast he has had in many years. 

shows you that the league don't want Kap in it...I think Cutler is a better pocket passer...and Jay is a terrible teammate...however Miami just didn't want the Kap distraction.
I think it shows two things:

- This specific coaching staff thought Cutler could come in an have success in this offense more quickly than Kaep could(perhaps at least in part to the fact he has experience with it).

- NFL teams SAY they are completely comfortable with <backup QB X> if the starter goes down..... right up until the starter goes down. And then the team goes into full panic mode and completely changes it's tune....

December 22, 2016

Dolphins OC Clyde Christensen praised "gunslinger" Matt Moore.

"He's always reminded me of Matt Hasselbeck," Christensen said. "He could start for a bunch of teams."

.... apparently one of the "bunch" isn't MIA. I still say if a QB on a team with legit playoff aspirations goes down suddenly the stink on Kaep doesn't smell nearly as bad. 

I think he has upside if Ajayi were to get injured. Seems like there were plenty of folks that doubted Ajayi could handle the work load they are discussing. Like 31 NFL teams.

Those are some pretty strong weapons Cutler's surrounded by.
He was talking about buying Tannehill low in dynasty leagues.

Cutler has a huge advantage here in that Gase knows him and was able to use him effectively. 64% completion percentage, 3659 yards with 21 TD's vs 11 INT and a 92 QB rating. That is pretty darn good. It shouldn't be too hard for Cutler to get in the swing of the Miami offense and he will have some good weapons to use. I would be willing to say that he will be in the top 20 of QB's this year. For fantasy, a solid QB2. 

The other options: 

vs Moore, Moore is a backup QB. We know that or at least we should know that. He is fine as your backup but if you know he is the man for the year then you should be uncomfortable. Apparently Cutler had no interest in coming in and being someone's backup so it took an injury like this for him to be on the market. It makes sense to move to Cutler over Moore. 

vs Kap, Kap does have talent. He did take a team to a Super Bowl or perhaps better phrased he was the QB of a team whose defense took them to a Super Bowl. But any way you look at it he was able to QB a team all the way to the big stage without getting in the teams way. He is an average QB who can run. His talent is something we have seen and for more seasons was not good more than it was good. Add in the whole anthem issue which my view is enough to keep you off of a team however, I read he has stated he was willing to stand for the anthem now and my view is that if we are willing to give women beaters, dog killers and drug fiends second, third and more chances we sure as heck should give Kap a chance. I think with him saying he wont do that anymore- he will get a chance but for Miami the ties of Culter and Gase were the stronger/better option.

vs Tebow, it was reported that he came up as an option. Gase was his QB coach so he knows him but he has been out of football too long and is now trying to play baseball. I can't really see that it was something that was seriously considered and more of just "hey, all ideas are valid" kind of brainstorming session. 

vs anyone else still on the market... well, all others clearly don't have the talent and if Culter and Kap were not available you would roll with Moore. 

The biggest challenge for Jay will be that he hasn't thrown a football in 10 months and now he has to come in immediately after not training all offseason. 

I like Jay and want to see him kick some ###, but there's a decent chance he could come in and just be awful.  I think that's why he had to think about it all for a couple days. 

The biggest challenge for Jay will be that he hasn't thrown a football in 10 months and now he has to come in immediately after not training all offseason. 
Ken Carman‏Verified account @KenCarman 10h10 hours ago

Jay Cutler will switch to Camel Lights to get in shape for the season.

:yes:

Cutler seems to rely so much on arm strength and now he's old and out of shape.  Bad move giving him all that money IMO.
LOL  How do you know he's out of shape?  Amazing how Cutler is all old and out of shape while Marshawn Lynch is well rested and ready to tear it up this year according to many.  Brilliant analysis.

LOL  How do you know he's out of shape?  Amazing how Cutler is all old and out of shape while Marshawn Lynch is well rested and ready to tear it up this year according to many.  Brilliant analysis.
How could he possibly be in football shape?  It's a month before the season and he's been prepping as a broadcaster the last few months.  He's never looked the type of a workout warrior.  I've seen him smoking in tons of pictures too, even on the field!  I wouldn't bet on Lynch either FWIW.

How could he possibly be in football shape?  It's a month before the season and he's been prepping as a broadcaster the last few months.  He's never looked the type of a workout warrior.  I've seen him smoking in tons of pictures too, even on the field!  I wouldn't bet on Lynch either FWIW.
Players get picked up after not player for a while and contribute to teams every year.  Not a big deal.

Marshawn has been training with the Raiders since late April (and reports were that he was training before the trade in anticipation of a return).  Cutler has been training with the Dolphins since last night.

Marshawn has been training with the Raiders since late April (and reports were that he was training before the trade in anticipation of a return).  Cutler has been training with the Dolphins since last night.
Cutler isn't running the ball.  His job is to sit in the pocket and throw the ball.  I have a feeling he's going to be just fine.

cockroach said:
The pictures of him smoking on the field are all photo shopped - as far as the others are concerned I don't know. Smokin' Jay Cutler has been an internet meme for several years and while I like joking about it, I am not sure how much truth there is to it as I remember one interview where Cutler denied that he smoked cigarettes at all.

Hawkeye21 said:
Cutler isn't running the ball.  His job is to sit in the pocket and throw the ball.  I have a feeling he's going to be just fine.
He has to throw the ball 500+ times, plus practice reps. It takes time to get in game shape.

I agree that he will be fine, but by fine I mean a lesser version of his already mediocre self.

This is a downgrade over Tannehill.

He has to throw the ball 500+ times, plus practice reps. It takes time to get in game shape.

I agree that he will be fine, but by fine I mean a lesser version of his already mediocre self.

This is a downgrade over Tannehill.
Maybe.  I doubt it though.

Do a side-by-side stats comparison of Tannehill and Cutler. At best it looks like a lateral move and that is without factoring age and the fact that Cutler is just showing up in Miami.

I wouldn't hold your breath.
I won't.  Doesn't really matter to me too much but I'll keep my eye on it.  Tannehill was going to be a waiver wire QB and so will Cutler so it's not a huge deal right now.

If we're comparing seasons I believe Cutler had a better season in his first year with Gase than Tannehill did.  I think Cutler will be fine and that he's in a pretty good situation.  He's got a good RB, good WRs and a good defense.  He shouldn't have to be relied on to do too much.

The pictures of him smoking on the field are all photo shopped - as far as the others are concerned I don't know. Smokin' Jay Cutler has been an internet meme for several years and while I like joking about it, I am not sure how much truth there is to it as I remember one interview where Cutler denied that he smoked cigarettes at all.
oh REEEEEAAAAALLY?!?!?  :doh:

I won't.  Doesn't really matter to me too much but I'll keep my eye on it.  Tannehill was going to be a waiver wire QB and so will Cutler so it's not a huge deal right now.

If we're comparing seasons I believe Cutler had a better season in his first year with Gase than Tannehill did.  I think Cutler will be fine and that he's in a pretty good situation.  He's got a good RB, good WRs and a good defense.  He shouldn't have to be relied on to do too much.
Actually Tannehill was better in every metric except INT%.

The Cutler potential has been as deadly a  batch of Kool Aid as the Jeff George Potential before him.  Does history always repeat itself, no, but that is how I am betting, and Cutler has enticed but never performed.  Under the current circumstances I am guessing we see low end Cutler.  Now could he shock, could it be that this is finally the ideal situation he has been waiting for, could he be a late career Q,B. like a Rich Gannon, sure, but I am betting otherwise. 

Actually Tannehill was better in every metric except INT%.
I was curious so I had to check it out and they had very similar seasons other than Cutler threw it a lot more.  Cutler has the slight edge.

Tannehill -  261 comp / 389 att / 67.1% / 2995 yards / 230 yds per game / 19 TDs / 12 INTs / 7.7 yds per att / 11.5 yds per comp / 93.5 rating / 54.6 QBR

Cutler - 311 comp / 483 att / 64.4% / 3659 yards / 243.9 yds per game / 21 TDs / 11 INTs / 7.6 yds per att / 11.8 yds per comp / 92.3 rating / 65.9 QBR

Was he?  Then they just had incorrect info on the radio.  They were just talking about it on The Score which is why I brought it up.
Higher completion %, higher TD %, higher YPA, better rating.

But I did just see that Cutler had a better sack %.

To be fair things like int% and sack% are very important when evaluating QBs. Those are big negative plays but still, on the whole Tannehill performed better than Cutler, it was a slim margin but it was still better.

I was curious so I had to check it out and they had very similar seasons other than Cutler threw it a lot more.  Cutler has the slight edge.

Tannehill -  261 comp / 389 att / 67.1% / 2995 yards / 230 yds per game / 19 TDs / 12 INTs / 7.7 yds per att / 11.5 yds per comp / 93.5 rating / 54.6 QBR

Cutler - 311 comp / 483 att / 64.4% / 3659 yards / 243.9 yds per game / 21 TDs / 11 INTs / 7.6 yds per att / 11.8 yds per comp / 92.3 rating / 65.9 QBR
You have to account for # of games played. 13 for Tannehill, 15 for Cutler.

That's why I went with TD% and not # of TDs etc.

That's why I think that the best that can be hoped for is a lateral move.
I think so too.  I don't see him doing any worse that Tannehill or any better.  Seems to be a pretty even swap but knowing Cutler it would not surprise me if he had a really good year or absolutely terrible year.

I think so too.  I don't see him doing any worse that Tennehill or any better.  Seems to be a pretty even swap but knowing Cutler it would not surprise me if he had a really good year or absolutely terrible year.
This is where we disagree.  I could see him being a lot worse but no better.  To be fair this will be Cutler's second season with Gase, Tannehill didn't get that opportunity, so maybe that will be the difference.

This is where we disagree.  I could see him being a lot worse but no better.  To be fair this will be Cutler's second season with Gase, Tannehill didn't get that opportunity, so maybe that will be the difference.
It's all speculation and you could very well be right.  Should make for an exciting season.  Gives me a reason to watch the Dolphins now.

cockroach said:
Smoking on the field :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread