What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody Not Believe in Global Warming Anymore? Make Your Case In Here. (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
Lots of examples of record cold temperatures and early snow floating around. If you believed in global warming a few years ago, what do you say now?

1) It's a farce and they were all wrong; or

2) I still believe: imagine how much colder it would have been without global warming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of examples of record cold temperatures and early snow floating around. If you believed in global warming a few years ago, what do you say now?1) It's a farce and they were all wrong; or2) I still believe: imagine how much colder it would have been without global warming.
Oh noes. It snowed. GW must be a lie.How many of these stupid but almost identical posts have we had over the past few years?

Lots of examples of record cold temperatures and early snow floating around. If you believed in global warming a few years ago, what do you say now?
I would say that only an idiot makes decisions based on anecdotal evidence.

Lots of examples of record cold temperatures and early snow floating around. If you believed in global warming a few years ago, what do you say now?1) It's a farce and they were all wrong; or2) I still believe: imagine how much colder it would have been without global warming.
Oh noes. It snowed. GW must be a lie.How many of these stupid but almost identical posts have we had over the past few years?
And how many were made during the winter?

And how many were made during the winter?
I'd guess it's been a pretty even distribution. Any time there's a cold snap it gets posted, no matter if it's a winter blizzard or a mild stretch in summer.

I once thought there may have been a chance of global warming. Not because of the recent snow, but I don't believe it for a second now.

Frost in SE Michigan last night, killed all of our flowers. First time I remember that happening before Halloween.

Frost in SE Michigan last night, killed all of our flowers. First time I remember that happening before Halloween.
Average first frost across Michigan is generally in September or early October. A few places linger but there is no place in the state where a frost last night would be unusual. link

SaveFerrisB said:
It's evidence in support of global warming. Among the effects humans have had on climate change are an increase in extreme temperatures in both directions, as well as increased severity of storms. In the long run, temperatures are rising, and the time between winter/summer and summer/winter is shrinking. Record lows this time of year and early snowfalls indicate a shorter timespan between wummer/winter.I'd like to thank shining path for teaching me this. Seeing your ignorance on this board makes me miss shiney even more.
:thumbup:

:swimsaway:

well now that it snowed near your house it completely disproves the hundreds of refereed published studies that have come out in the last little while suppporting it

How many of these stupid but almost identical posts have we had over the past few years?
And the correct answer is: 873,582,471. Mostly coming from the State of Alaska, with the "second tier" being the large cluster of States where you hear the phrases "all y'all" and "fixin' to" uttered a legislatively-mandated minimum of at least one time per-hour, 24/7/365.

Last edited by a moderator:
One cold year does not equal proof one way or the other. Even 150 increasingly warmer years doesn't prove it concretely.

But it seems to be reasonable to think that it's more than a coincidence that the world has been getting demonstrably (and provably) warmer since the industrial revolution started. Even with knowledge that climate is a complex and huge thing, and that man's influence on it is not well understood.

We have 2 choices: First is status quo, and if we're wrong, we end up screwing ourselves. The other is to take steps to change it, and if we're wrong, well at least we've removed all doubt.

The remarkable stupidity or fishing of the OP made me miss Shining Path a lot. I guess thanks for reminding me.

One cold year does not equal proof one way or the other. Even 150 increasingly warmer years doesn't prove it concretely.But it seems to be reasonable to think that it's more than a coincidence that the world has been getting demonstrably (and provably) warmer since the industrial revolution started. Even with knowledge that climate is a complex and huge thing, and that man's influence on it is not well understood.
Ice Age - Dinosaur Age - Industrial Revolution - Clearly 3 gigantic turns in our climate and we must figure out how man has played such a significant role in these drastic changes in our climate.

Throughout the earth's history, periods of global cooling have been followed by periods of global warming.

Ergo, if the earth is cooling, IT IS INDISPUTABLE PROOF THAT THE EARTH WILL WARM IN THE FUTURE.

So, to sum it all up, if we detect warmer temperatures, then the sky is falling.

But if we detect cooler temperatures, it means the sky is getting ready to fall.

We must do something!

if its unseasonably hot its global warming

if its unseasonably cold its global warming

big snow storm = global warming

no snow storm global warming

:shrug:

There's plenty of room for legitimate debate regarding global warming, all in terms of what is to be done? For instance, I remain unconvinced that severe self-placed restrictions on our economy will have any effect other than to hurt our economy.

However, to deny the existence of this problem, and its seriousness, and the fact that it is largely man-made, is quite silly at this point. It reminds me of the anti-evolutionists, and quite often they are the same people. When scientists tell you something, its wise to believe them.

However, to deny the existence of this problem, and its seriousness, and the fact that it is largely man-made, is quite silly at this point. It reminds me of the anti-evolutionists, and quite often they are the same people. When scientists tell you something, its wise to believe them.
You were doing so well until the "largely man-made" part. There are scientists who believe it's man made and there are scientists who believe man has little or nothing to do with it. If I'm to believe the scientists...which group should I believe?

I also don't understand, as an independent, why so many conservatives tend to be the ones that doubt the existence of global warming. It makes conservatives look stupid, and liberals look smarter, frankly. I don't believe this to be the case. Yet many on the right seem to have adopted this ignorant denial of GW as part of their ideology.

Again, it makes sense for a conservative to be opposed to liberal SOLUTIONS to global warming, because they usually involve draconian restrictions on business. But the proper alternative, it seems to me, is to come up with responsible pro-buisness alternatives to these solutions (for instance, the removal of restrictions on the expansion of nuclear energy, or an attempt to replace our oil and coal needs with natural gas). But to play this stick your head in the sand game and deny that there is even a problem- I don't get it.

You were doing so well until the "largely man-made" part. There are scientists who believe it's man made and there are scientists who believe man has little or nothing to do with it. If I'm to believe the scientists...which group should I believe?
From what I've been able to learn about this issue, the vast majority of scientists around the world believe WITH AUTHORITY that it's largely man-made. The ones that don't are usually cranks of some sort. A few months back I had dinner with a woman, friend of my moms, who is a scientist who works for NASA charting asteroids at JPL. She told me that the acceptance of the seriousness of man-made climate change is universal among every scientist she knows. That's anecdotal, of course, but it made a large impression on me.

There's plenty of room for legitimate debate regarding global warming, all in terms of what is to be done? For instance, I remain unconvinced that severe self-placed restrictions on our economy will have any effect other than to hurt our economy. However, to deny the existence of this problem, and its seriousness, and the fact that it is largely man-made, is quite silly at this point. It reminds me of the anti-evolutionists, and quite often they are the same people. When scientists tell you something, its wise to believe them.
Why do you think that the people who are anti-evolutionists are the same anti-global warming crowd?What does that say about the merits of their arguments?

3C said:
timschochet said:
I also don't understand, as an independent, why so many conservatives
:banned: you just can't help yourself can you?
I'm being qute honest here. I also can't understand why so many liberals are willing to restrict business and trade without a care in the world for the economic results, or why they are seemingly willing to take a passive response to our foreign policy that allows the bad guys of the world to get stronger. To me, both liberals and conservatives are full of weakness and contradictions, and I'm proud not to be either one.

timschochet said:
3C said:
timschochet said:
From what I've been able to learn about this issue, the vast majority of scientists around the world believe WITH AUTHORITY that it's largely man-made. The ones that don't are usually cranks of some sort. A few months back I had dinner with a woman, friend of my moms, who is a scientist who works for NASA charting asteroids at JPL. She told me that the acceptance of the seriousness of man-made climate change is universal among every scientist she knows. That's anecdotal, of course, but it made a large impression on me.
Is this like how you think there is so much racism amongst cops because you have one black friend who got harrasssed in a park?

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
timschochet said:
There's plenty of room for legitimate debate regarding global warming, all in terms of what is to be done? For instance, I remain unconvinced that severe self-placed restrictions on our economy will have any effect other than to hurt our economy. However, to deny the existence of this problem, and its seriousness, and the fact that it is largely man-made, is quite silly at this point. It reminds me of the anti-evolutionists, and quite often they are the same people. When scientists tell you something, its wise to believe them.
Why do you think that the people who are anti-evolutionists are the same anti-global warming crowd?What does that say about the merits of their arguments?
Well, first, I think they are EXACTLY the same in all instances. Based on purely anecdotal evidence (which is no evidence at all, I admit) it seems to me that most anti-evolutionists are also anti-global warming, but that it doesn't work the other way around. As to wny, your guess is as good as mine. As to the merits of their arguments, obviously they're weak and ignore facts, like the OP.

Poor Al Gore takes the brunt of the damage from the folks around these parts as if he's the only person that has sounded the alarm on this issue. Every time it's unseasonably cold someone says Al Gore is an idiot. Every...time. :banned:

timschochet said:
3C said:
timschochet said:
Is this like how you think there is so much racism amongst cops because you have one black friend who got harrasssed in a park?
Admittedly, that made an impression on me too. But this issue does seem to be a lot more quantifiable, don't you think?

Poor Al Gore takes the brunt of the damage from the folks around these parts as if he's the only person that has sounded the alarm on this issue. Every time it's unseasonably cold someone says Al Gore is an idiot. Every...time. :banned:
It certainly helps their case that Al Gore IS an idiot.

IMO, Al Gore is an idiot when it's warm too.

# despite the record low in the brightness of the sun over the past three years (it’s been at its faintest since beginning of satellite measurements in the 1970s), a number of warming records have been broken during this time.

# March 2008 saw the warmest global land temperature of any March ever recorded in the past 130 years.

# June and August 2009 saw the warmest land and ocean temperatures in the Southern Hemisphere ever recorded for those months.

# The global ocean surface temperatures in 2009 broke all previous records for three consecutive months: June, July and August.

# The years 2007, 2008 and 2009 had the lowest summer Arctic sea ice cover ever recorded, and in 2008 for the first time in living memory the Northwest Passage and the Northeast Passage were simultaneously ice-free. This feat was repeated in 2009.

# Every single year of this century (2001-2008) has been warmer than all years of the 20th Century except 1998 (which sticks out well above the trend line due to a strong El Niño event).

link

Poor Al Gore takes the brunt of the damage from the folks around these parts as if he's the only person that has sounded the alarm on this issue. Every time it's unseasonably cold someone says Al Gore is an idiot. Every...time. :rolleyes:
IMO, Al Gore is an idiot when it's warm too.
Maybe, but it would be nice if they got a new line just to change it up a bit once in a while. Same thing every time. They seem to almost blaming him for the cold weather.

# despite the record low in the brightness of the sun over the past three years (it’s been at its faintest since beginning of satellite measurements in the 1970s), a number of warming records have been broken during this time.

# March 2008 saw the warmest global land temperature of any March ever recorded in the past 130 years.

# June and August 2009 saw the warmest land and ocean temperatures in the Southern Hemisphere ever recorded for those months.

# The global ocean surface temperatures in 2009 broke all previous records for three consecutive months: June, July and August.

# The years 2007, 2008 and 2009 had the lowest summer Arctic sea ice cover ever recorded, and in 2008 for the first time in living memory the Northwest Passage and the Northeast Passage were simultaneously ice-free. This feat was repeated in 2009.

# Every single year of this century (2001-2008) has been warmer than all years of the 20th Century except 1998 (which sticks out well above the trend line due to a strong El Niño event).

link
But it's cold outside today.

timschochet said:
I also don't understand, as an independent, why so many conservatives tend to be the ones that doubt the existence of global warming. It makes conservatives look stupid, and liberals look smarter, frankly. I don't believe this to be the case. Yet many on the right seem to have adopted this ignorant denial of GW as part of their ideology.

Again, it makes sense for a conservative to be opposed to liberal SOLUTIONS to global warming, because they usually involve draconian restrictions on business. But the proper alternative, it seems to me, is to come up with responsible pro-buisness alternatives to these solutions (for instance, the removal of restrictions on the expansion of nuclear energy, or an attempt to replace our oil and coal needs with natural gas). But to play this stick your head in the sand game and deny that there is even a problem- I don't get it.
there are conservatives that acknowledge global warming and are trying to solve this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread