What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (17 Viewers)

Excellent choice.
This is my prelude to classic cinema with him, I think. I don't think he could do musicals but I can compile a short list of maybe 20-30 films that could serve as a start. He doesn't want anything too violent so most of the late 60s and 70s films will be off limits. Otherwise, I think there's plenty to work with. 

EASY S3 out on NFLX. Not in my wheelhouse but I love this show for some reason. Pace, dialogue, characters and story lines make it easy  & enjoyable to watch. This is easily a 9/10 for me.

ericttspikes said:
Liking The Society so far.
Just watched the first episode. I'm hooked. 

Its basically Lord of the Flies meets The 100 (I've never seen The 100, I'm just assuming). Will watch a couple more episodes this weekend.

Just watched the first episode. I'm hooked. 

Its basically Lord of the Flies meets The 100 (I've never seen The 100, I'm just assuming). Will watch a couple more episodes this weekend.
11yo floppinho loves the 100 (dad was a fan too) and seems to love the Society. I skimmed through the first episode- didn't grab me at all.

Been watching Murder Mountain here and there. I find the legalization and farming aspect more interesting than the murder, tbh. Also makes me miss NCal. I was this close to buying a place on the coast (south from there- timber cove) a long time ago. My life would've been very very different if I had.

11yo floppinho loves the 100 (dad was a fan too) and seems to love the Society. I skimmed through the first episode- didn't grab me at all.
The new season of The 100 started on the CW a few weeks ago. Like that show too. I guess kinda similar in that a bunch of teens trying to figure out how live. The Society is a bit more hard than The 100. These people party all the time. Parents keep telling me kids today don’t throw down like we did in the day. Thinking that is bad intel. 

Into episode 3, which started kind of slow. Still in to see where it goes. One of the better Netflix series I’ve seen in a while.

The new season of The 100 started on the CW a few weeks ago. Like that show too. I guess kinda similar in that a bunch of teens trying to figure out how live. The Society is a bit more hard than The 100. These people party all the time. Parents keep telling me kids today don’t throw down like we did in the day. Thinking that is bad intel. 

Into episode 3, which started kind of slow. Still in to see where it goes. One of the better Netflix series I’ve seen in a while.
PRIME FAIYA

Watched it last weekend.  30 min eps make it easy to get through.  I enjoyed it.   Applegate is fantastic and still looks amazing. Linda Cardellini is good as well.  Story flows like a windy river, so you know whats coming but throws you off for an ep.
Several episodes into Dead to Me and agree with the above. Wife loves it. I think it's pretty solid. Some good writing and humor. Worth a watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
My boy just finished "Gravity Falls" for the 3rd time in about a year. The only other show he watched with such zeal and genuine affection was "Phineas & Ferb". He probably did all 4 seasons over a couple of years. Both shows share a common sensibility and are great fun.

My boy just finished "Gravity Falls" for the 3rd time in about a year. The only other show he watched with such zeal and genuine affection was "Phineas & Ferb". He probably did all 4 seasons over a couple of years. Both shows share a common sensibility and are great fun.
Floppinho loved gravity falls. I'm trying to get floppinha into it instead of those Minecraft YouTubers.

Floppinho loved gravity falls. I'm trying to get floppinha into it instead of those Minecraft YouTubers.
i don't think my boy has ever seen one. he likes minecraft well enough but he's not obsessed with it. he still enjoys his Legos and would be content to watch "Ninjago" for hours if I let him.

This is my prelude to classic cinema with him, I think. I don't think he could do musicals but I can compile a short list of maybe 20-30 films that could serve as a start. He doesn't want anything too violent so most of the late 60s and 70s films will be off limits. Otherwise, I think there's plenty to work with. 
Interesting. I hadn't thought about it, but you're right about late 60s and 70s being violent cinema. Some of these would be wonderful to show him:

Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Rear Window, The Third Man, Forbidden Planet, The Dirty Dozen, Marty, 12 Angry Men, ...And Then There Were None, The Glass Key, Of Mice and Men, The Seven Samurai, War of the Worlds, Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

Not that this list didn't already occur to you. They're simply classic cinema that left an important impression upon me in my youth.

Psychokenisis - worth a rainy day watch

From the director of Train to Busan comes a tale of a man who gets powers of telekinesis via an outer space gel which enables him to save his estranged daughter from evil real estate developers.

Somehow it works pretty well with more than a few visual homages to The Matrix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6890582/

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished S1 "Bodyguard" on Netflix and liked it well enough. Kind of crapped the bed with the ending, I thought, but overall fun. It's one of those shows that doesn't make a ton of sense if you think even just a little about it but whatever.

Starting "Shrill" on Hulu. Aidy Bryant of SNL is good in this somewhat interesting show. It's not perfect from comedic standpoint but it does have a lot of heart. It does have something to say and it's not shtick.

I think I wrapped up Chambers on Netflix.

teen supernatural drama with Tony goldwyn and uma and the occasional Lilly Taylor. An almost kinda sorta. Which means a bunch of you will love it.

London Irish on Amazon Prime is pretty funny. If you like Irish drinking shows. Best line from Episode 2 thus far... the Irish drink until we're sober.

The Haunting of Molly Hartley - takes a looooooooong time to get where it's going, gets a little bit interesting, then falls flat at the end.  If CW did horror, this would be it

Ok. Werner Herzog writing and directing with Michael Shannon and Gael Garcia Bernal. Sounds promising. Right? Right?! I kept watching Salt and Fire mostly because it was so laughably bad, I assumed there was some impending moment of brilliant "gotcha" from the amazing Herzog... and because the script and acting were that legitimately laughable. It was "the mother of diarrhea"

Honestly .. I can't even express how insanely bad that was. it's like a horrible horrible fart that burns paint but that you need somebody else to smell just to make sure.

So somebody else watch this please.

Prime - 4 episodes into Sneaky Pete Season 3 and it is worth watching.  Wasn't sure where they would go with it after season 2, but I like the twist.

Ok. Werner Herzog writing and directing with Michael Shannon and Gael Garcia Bernal. Sounds promising. Right? Right?! I kept watching Salt and Fire mostly because it was so laughably bad, I assumed there was some impending moment of brilliant "gotcha" from the amazing Herzog... and because the script and acting were that legitimately laughable. It was "the mother of diarrhea"
@krista4 you're a Herzog fan, right?

Huge.  I've seen most of his, which is crazy because he's so prolific.  Not this one, though I'd have been double-tempted because of GGB.  Kinda want to watch just because of your terrible review now.
oh- you really, really should.

the wife and I actually laughed out loud at most of the beginning before she fell asleep, leaving me to finish it on my own. writing comes across as if my 11yo son took acid, and then just started scribbling stuff down. it's that bad and non-sensical... from dialogue to broader plot brushes. and two of the lead actors must be non-actor buddies, because the fancy antique oak floors I'm having installed in a project on park avenue are waaaaaaaaay less wooden in their method than those two. one of them did have a supremely awful/fantastic line involving the use of his wheel-chair. unfortunately, the other one is the actual lead. if you watch, please find out of they find her luggage. GGB had the "mother of diarrhea" line, which was also fantastic, and IIRC closed out his very brief screen time. he did get to grope the lead at least- in equally nonsensical way. even most of the camera work seems done by my acid dosing 11yo. it does find it's visual legs in the final third- with some beautiful landscapes... that really should've been the entire movie- malick-esque sweeps of the landscape and let the german lead broad stand just off-camera.

now I want to re-watch it.

Decent horror movie on Netflix called "Emelie".  Relies more on tension to deliver scares than gore.

This is a "kids in peril" story, and yes...if the kids all had degrees from MIT this movie would be 15 minutes long.  Overall, I bought into the kids actions.

And yes...if the psychologically broken villain of the story had instead been an evil mastermind like Hans Gruber the movie would be 15 minutes long.  But dangit, this villain is just a little bit cracked in the head.  Sometimes people who are broken seem ultra lucid for flashes, and off in another galaxy on planet crazy the next.

Users who are viewing this thread