What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (16 Viewers)

Houston brought a play like that successfully to bear during the New England game. It was Hopkins on a pitch to Watson. 

It looked completely stupid, almost got Deshaun killed, but hey, it was a TD from the five so who's complaining?

I can't believe these guys sometimes.
...and what you guys are mentioning is why I try not to drill down too much into specific poor play calls. The Saints scored 48 yesterday and Payton still had several gaffes midstream. Ask every fanbase what they think about their team's play calling and they'll say it sucks. And I only write that with a little hyperbole.

There are points being made I agree with, but there are things that keep getting cited that lack context that matters. Kinda like the Cincy run d thing I mentioned earlier.

*You mention Chubb only getting 15 carries...but that was almost a third of the snaps. 

*You insinuate the overall lack of usage from the RB's, but they were the intended ball carrier/target on 28 of the 51 plays.

*There were eight plays of 3rd & 5 or longer, the team was 5-8 w/one td and one int in those situations without using Chubb/Hunt on any of them (I'm not counting the last one against Chubb for what I think should be obvious reasons)

*So, in non third and long's Chubb/Hunt were the intended ball carrier/target on 27 of those 42 plays. And we're complaining about their lack of usage?

---

So there's part of me that wishes others would focus more specifically on the types of plays calls or the general situational criticism you threw up there (I agree btw), but then @lod001 brings up that Landry play in New England (again). The play call was fine. You can see how it would work on the back side. The problem with the play is no one can explain what the hell Bitonio was doing on the play. I missed it in real-time, but after someone else mentioned it in here and I went back and watched it again...what. the. hell. So, yeah - if you just watch Baker, Landry, and Guy on that play it looks mind numbingly stupid. But if you look at how Guy was there in the first place it all makes sense. But we criticize Freddie for it.  :mellow:
You're right, I did this a couple of games ago breaking down the run game. After the game is over you sit there and scream why didn't we run the ball more? Then you look at the stats and it was almost exactly how you broke it down, between Chubb/Hunt, they touched the ball about 50% of the plays. It just doesn't seem that way during real time because the runs are sprinkled in here & there with the occasional dump off or screen. I want to see them come out for a 15 play sustained drive and run the ball 12 times. And then do it again...and again...and again. I haven't seen any of that or they do it once (opening drive of the second half) then go away from it when the game situation dictates that you should be grinding it out on the ground, eating up the clock and beating down the worst defense in the league.

Instead we try to throw with a QB that is struggling in his sophomore season behind an OL that has not proven they can pass pro in 13 game this season while trying to force balls to a WR that his been hurt since training camp.

. Ask every fanbase what they think about their team's play calling and they'll say it sucks. And I only write that with a little hyperbole.
This is true, and drives me a little nuts. But there are certain basic imbalances that sometimes happen when a coach tries to bring his system to bear on a team and that system doesn't fit. Then, even a basic fan can be excused for questioning the direction and aim of the calls. But yeah, I 'd sort of agree with you about your general statement.  

...and what you guys are mentioning is why I try not to drill down too much into specific poor play calls. The Saints scored 48 yesterday and Payton still had several gaffes midstream. Ask every fanbase what they think about their team's play calling and they'll say it sucks. And I only write that with a little hyperbole.
He does stupid #### but he has Brees there to dig him out of the hole he created. You can do that when you have arguably the greatest passer in the history of the NFL. It's still stupid and he can get away with it until he gets to the playoffs. Then you are playing the best of the best and the stupid crap can cost you a game.

He does stupid #### but he has Brees there to dig him out of the hole he created. You can do that when you have arguably the greatest passer in the history of the NFL. It's still stupid and he can get away with it until he gets to the playoffs. Then you are playing the best of the best and the stupid crap can cost you a game.
Or the refs can cost you the game.  

This is true, and drives me a little nuts. But there are certain basic imbalances that sometimes happen when a coach tries to bring his system to bear on a team and that system doesn't fit. Then, even a basic fan can be excused for questioning the direction and aim of the calls. But yeah, I 'd sort of agree with you about your general statement.  
Yeah, what @lod001 brought up earlier about last year...that contributed to my optimism going into this year. What this team did to Cincy in the first half of that game wasn't a product of the opponent; that was all Browns. And it wasn't the only time last season either.

Then what we've seen this year has not involved any of those same passing game concepts. I'm left sitting on my couch...bar stool...section 113...saying/screaming, the ####? But I'm also thinking what transpired to get us to this point. If we're going with this vertical passing offense then why are we taking unnecessary risks at right guard? and if we are not addressing tackle then why aren't we prioritizing blocking tight ends? So I wouldn't dismiss what's going on schematically all being on Freddie, it just doesn't seem all that likely. The lack of in-game adjustments certainly falls on him, but I keep coming back to...he recognized the team's weaknesses last year and schemed around them...so why isn't it happening this year? It makes no sense.

There are obviously other problems, but schematically I think that's the problem that needs fixed, whatever it is. We just don't know enough not being inside that building to specifically identify the source of the problem. It's why I won't bury my head in my hands if he gets canned. If he's really what's causing those problems then so be it. I'm just skeptical of who the proposed solution may be. So I hope the problem is something else and whatever it is gets fixed - I'll be more optimistic about 2020 if that's the case.

[ ]...what we've seen this year has not involved any of those same passing game concepts. I'm left sitting on my couch...bar stool...section 113...saying/screaming, the ####? But I'm also thinking what transpired to get us to this point. If we're going with this vertical passing offense then why are we taking unnecessary risks at right guard? and if we are not addressing tackle then why aren't we prioritizing blocking tight ends? So I wouldn't dismiss what's going on schematically all being on Freddie, it just doesn't seem all that likely. The lack of in-game adjustments certainly falls on him, but I keep coming back to...he recognized the team's weaknesses last year and schemed around them...so why isn't it happening this year? It makes no sense.

...[w]e just don't know enough not being inside that building to specifically identify the source of the problem
I haven't understood this part of your lament either, and it took a lot of digging to bring it to voice. If he is the mastermind behind last year's success, what on earth is going on with the playcylling? I understand OC's have their own autonomy but it would seem to be that if a) he resurrected the offense in a specific way and to his liking and b) had his choice of coaches, this is especially baffling. 

It brings me to the bolded. I certainly don't and if homers and sourced people definitely don't, then all you're left with is confusion. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, what @lod001 brought up earlier about last year...that contributed to my optimism going into this year. What this team did to Cincy in the first half of that game wasn't a product of the opponent; that was all Browns. And it wasn't the only time last season either.

Then what we've seen this year has not involved any of those same passing game concepts. I'm left sitting on my couch...bar stool...section 113...saying/screaming, the ####? But I'm also thinking what transpired to get us to this point. If we're going with this vertical passing offense then why are we taking unnecessary risks at right guard? and if we are not addressing tackle then why aren't we prioritizing blocking tight ends? So I wouldn't dismiss what's going on schematically all being on Freddie, it just doesn't seem all that likely. The lack of in-game adjustments certainly falls on him, but I keep coming back to...he recognized the team's weaknesses last year and schemed around them...so why isn't it happening this year? It makes no sense.

There are obviously other problems, but schematically I think that's the problem that needs fixed, whatever it is. We just don't know enough not being inside that building to specifically identify the source of the problem. It's why I won't bury my head in my hands if he gets canned. If he's really what's causing those problems then so be it. I'm just skeptical of who the proposed solution may be. So I hope the problem is something else and whatever it is gets fixed - I'll be more optimistic about 2020 if that's the case.
You know more about the team than I do but I really question the capabilities of Monken. I think he's simply dumb. Someone has put in these dumb plays and i'm gonna go back to the 3rd & 7 run 3 WRs down the field 20+ yards from the left hash mark to the right side of the right hash mark. Not only were they running way past the 1st down marker, they were all closely grouped together as well. If they had not shown the replay from a distance you would have thought, 'well, must be great coverage'. No the WRs were still running downfield well past the 1st down marker when Mayfield was sacked. There was no one to throw to because they all ran 20+ yard routes. No defense required. When the announcers, former players, may have been Troy Aikman, are questioning the logic, there's a problem. Mayfield doesn't yet have the experience to say, hell no we aren't running that play.  The play caller did all the work by giving Mayfield no chance of succeeding.

Baltimore used to be really stupid for years. One of their favorite plays was on 3rd and short, run a WR along the right sidelines 15+ yards deep and see if Flacco could hit the WR. It's ok to send a guy deep along the sidelines on 3rd and short but why do you continually throw to him? It was almost always uncatchable too.

Yeah, it's monken. He's gotta go. He sucks.

We don’t need more 5-yard plays. Who needs more 5-yard plays? How can we be explosive? That’s what the game is about, man. People like big plays. I like big plays.

So how do we figure out how to get big plays? In football trick plays are fun. I mean, what isn’t fun about explosive plays and throwing it down the field and guys making plays?

Bill Walsh would have one of his players stomp this clown into the ground. Trick plays are fun. What a moron.

I haven't understood this part of your lament either, and it took a lot of digging to bring it to voice. If he is the mastermind behind last year's success, what on earth is going on with the playcylling? I understand OC's have their own autonomy but it would seem to be that if a) he resurrected the offense in a specific way and to his liking and b) had his choice of coaches, this is especially baffling. 

It brings me to the bolded. I certainly don't and if homers and sourced people definitely don't, then all you're left with is confusion. 
The biggest problem is the trifecta of suck that is the head of the Browns beat in our local media are notorious narrative pusher's and (most of) the rest are too big of homer's to take anything they say or insinuate with a large grain of salt. If what I've heard is true it's not favorable for the Browns and leaves you angrier with Dorsey than Freddie, but still mad at both. But what I've heard is all third hand. So, how much of it is fact and how much of it is (mis)interpretation? :shrug:

That's why I'm more concerned about leaks and actions over the next month than anything else.

Monken is like clowns before him. Mike Martz who thrived under the perfect setup yet failed miserably everywhere else when he kept trying to do the same thing with players below HOF caliber. He was only a success when he had HOF QB, HOF RB and probably 2 eventual HOF WRs. Arians is the same. He's also all about lots of big plays but he's a failure.

As much as I despise Harbug in BALT, he's for the most part built the entire O around what his QB can do best with a brain fart of Ingram wildcat, Jackson lined up wide mixed in every so often. He's just ruined my kicker with his analytics. Kitchens/Monken are trying to do what Monken did in TB even though it was a failure. Big plays, big yards, big INTs. Big whoop, loser.

The biggest problem is the trifecta of suck that is the head of the Browns beat in our local media are notorious narrative pusher's and (most of) the rest are too big of homer's to take anything they say or insinuate with a large grain of salt. If what I've heard is true it's not favorable for the Browns and leaves you angrier with Dorsey than Freddie, but still mad at both. But what I've heard is all third hand. So, how much of it is fact and how much of it is (mis)interpretation? :shrug:

That's why I'm more concerned about leaks and actions over the next month than anything else.
I think I get what you're insinuating and given the progression of events as laid out: 

1. Hue fired
  2. Kitchens and Williams promoted to OC and HC specifically
  3. Offense is screamingly successful
  4. Additions made to offense as is
  5. Kitchens promoted to HC
  6. Offense looks wildly different
  7. Offense less than screamingly successful
That leaves us with two things: The GM or owner (who has supposedly voluntarily backed off) wants the offense changed or the OC hasn't had the proper quality/hierarchy control normally given to those in his position. 

So, given the "leaves you angrier with Dorsey than Freddie" you're sort of insinuating this has to do with Dorsey, this offensive change, though you're being really careful to say it. If one looks for evidence for this, one could look (my theory) at RB usage. If so successful with Chubb traditionally running the football on first and second down and brining in Hunt for third, why are they running a ton of two backfield sets? And what is up with Kareem's usage? Homers would know better than I, so I'll just say it might be confusing. Two backfield sets are especially confusing to me in a downfield offense. How do they integrate, really? Anyway, just spitballing here, but there's so much confusion about what you're doing that many things seem plausible. 

As much as I despise Harbug in BALT, he's for the most part built the entire O around what his QB can do best with a brain fart of Ingram wildcat, Jackson lined up wide mixed in every so often. He's just ruined my kicker with his analytics
Same in Philadelphia. I talked about dumping Tucker in the kicking thread for this exact reason. I'd rather stream guys going against teams that stink than have Tucker or Elliott every week. I think the numbers would bear that out. It's just laziness not to stream them these days.  

Back on topic: Didn't like Monken in TB, but love Arians. Tampa Bay, if they sign Jameis and uprgrade in the secondary and at running back is a dangerous offensive team and defensively capable of hanging around, especially their run defense.  But that's an aside. The TB offense last year looked confusing, too. Godwin couldn't even get on the field in two-wides. That's bad.  

I think I get what you're insinuating and given the progression of events as laid out: 

1. Hue fired
  2. Kitchens and Williams promoted to OC and HC specifically
  3. Offense is screamingly successful
  4. Additions made to offense as is
  5. Kitchens promoted to HC
  6. Offense looks wildly different
  7. Offense less than screamingly successful
That leaves us with two things: The GM or owner (who has supposedly voluntarily backed off) wants the offense changed or the OC hasn't had the proper quality/hierarchy control normally given to those in his position. 

So, given the "leaves you angrier with Dorsey than Freddie" you're sort of insinuating this has to do with Dorsey, this offensive change, though you're being really careful to say it. If one looks for evidence for this, one could look (my theory) at RB usage. If so successful with Chubb traditionally running the football on first and second down and brining in Hunt for third, they were running a ton of two backfield sets. Two backfield sets are confusing to me in a downfield offense. How do they integrate, really? Anyway, just spitballing here, but there's so much confusion about what you're doing that many things seem plausible. 
I think you did well.

The issue I keep running into is no matter what path I wander down I still end up with questions. I think it's fair to say playing connect-the-dots  this season's problems are bigger than just Freddie. But are they correctable with him still installed as part of the solution? :shrug:

I don't necessarily believe this, but to play devil's advocate for Monken - he is (allegedly) heavily involved in the creation of the game plan. Generally speaking the Browns have been successful when in the pre-game script. Once out of the script he is (allegedly) in more of an advisory role and while it's not been the case every week, generally speaking the Browns offense has not been as successful once out of the script. And Monken was (allegedly) not, specifically, a Freddie hire.

Few different path's you can go with that info.

i can’t make heads or tails of any of this. 

the only thing that seems obvious, is that Mayfield was quick and decisive last year, in what looked to my eyes to be a short passing offense with occasional shots down the field.  

this year, he’s holding the ball, looks confused, and it seems like they’re trying to go deep almost every play.  

i don’t know how to look up the numbers to see if this is actually what is happening.  

i also have less than no idea WHY it is happening, if this is in fact what is happening.  

no idea why they are insisting on square peg - round hole at this point, but i guess egos can be a hell of a thing.  

the only thing that seems obvious, is that Mayfield was quick and decisive last year, in what looked to my eyes to be a short passing offense with occasional shots down the field.  

this year, he’s holding the ball, looks confused, and it seems like they’re trying to go deep almost every play.  

i don’t know how to look up the numbers to see if this is actually what is happening.  

i also have less than no idea WHY it is happening, if this is in fact what is happening.  

no idea why they are insisting on square peg - round hole at this point, but i guess egos can be a hell of a thing.  
Coaching

i don’t know how to look up the numbers to see if this is actually what is happening.  YEP

Monken. We don’t need more 5-yard plays. Who needs more 5-yard plays? How can we be explosive? That’s what the game is about, man. People like big plays. I like big plays.

I'm sure some of you have seen this...but if not...

Mike M
This is why him in 2019 was always an awful idea. Just like it was when we hired Mangini immediately after he got fired. The Bills hiring Ryan right after he got fired. And what the Jets are going through right now with hiring Gase immediately after he got fired. The retread coach angle can work, but they need time to breathe. Once re-assessment is done they may return and repeat the same mistakes that led to their previous demise, but they're in a position in which they can legitimately grow and learn from their mistakes.

Missed his pre-game. 

What did he say in the pre-game?
This & that -- usual stuff mostly -- but then he & Deek were addressing the game plan and he said (this quote from memory), "I have a feeling they're gonna come out throwing & screw it up."   Deek responded with, "Right.  Why run against the 32nd ranked run D?"  I thought it was an absurd thing to suggest, but he was right.  SMDH

Later, after the game, I guess Freddie was asked why they came out that way & he said that they saw some things to exploit in the pass D.  To me, that means their offensive "committee" made the plan & he went with it.  Makes me wonder who saw what and how much weight that carries versus the things we suggest (ie using your best weapons). 

Monken. We don’t need more 5-yard plays. Who needs more 5-yard plays? How can we be explosive? That’s what the game is about, man. People like big plays. I like big plays.
Yep.  He has a hand in it.  The other thing that plays a part is Baker.  He's confident that he can make every throw, hit every window.  He will often take that shot on his first read, which also alleviates any concerns with pass protection.  IMO, improve the pass pro & things  will fall into place. 

This & that -- usual stuff mostly -- but then he & Deek were addressing the game plan and he said (this quote from memory), "I have a feeling they're gonna come out throwing & screw it up."   Deek responded with, "Right.  Why run against the 32nd ranked run D?"  I thought it was an absurd thing to suggest, but he was right.  SMDH

Later, after the game, I guess Freddie was asked why they came out that way & he said that they saw some things to exploit in the pass D.  To me, that means their offensive "committee" made the plan & he went with it.  Makes me wonder who saw what and how much weight that carries versus the things we suggest (ie using your best weapons). 
Jimmy has a habit of being glib and dropping facetious comments.

I'm pretty sure he was joshing making an obviously mocking comment that turned out to be true.

I will say this.  

The Bengals came out in a 5-man front which basically screams 'We dare you to try and pass on us.'  We couldn't and in the second half we went run and blew up that front.

"We don’t need more 5-yard plays. Who needs more 5-yard plays? How can we be explosive? That’s what the game is about, man. People like big plays. I like big plays."

Oh yeah, this part too: "In football trick plays are fun"  Yeah is that losing fun cause your trick play killed a drive?

Monken sucks.

PFF CLE Browns‏ @PFF_Browns

#Browns RG Wyatt Teller made our Team of the Week for his performance against the #Bengals. He allowed no pressures in 29 pass blocking snaps, en route to an 88.2 pass blocking grade, tying him with Joel Bitonio for 3rd among 74 qualifying WK14 guards

7:17 AM - 10 Dec 2019

------------------------------------

:thumbup:   We 'might' get rookie OT Drew Forbes back before the end of the season but DORSEY'S trade for Wyatt Teller is looking good.

PFF CLE Browns‏ @PFF_Browns

#Browns RG Wyatt Teller made our Team of the Week for his performance against the #Bengals. He allowed no pressures in 29 pass blocking snaps, en route to an 88.2 pass blocking grade, tying him with Joel Bitonio for 3rd among 74 qualifying WK14 guards

7:17 AM - 10 Dec 2019

------------------------------------

:thumbup:   We 'might' get rookie OT Drew Forbes back before the end of the season but DORSEY'S trade for Wyatt Teller is looking good.
He was one of the reasons we lost to the Steelers, but since it doesn't fit your Dorsey is great narrative let's ignore that game because it's not convenient for what you want to believe and instead focus on only this game.

Yes, I am driven by accountability. For example when a right guard has a great game he deserves credit for it. He also deserves criticism when he has a poor game. Unless it doesn't fit your preconceived bias anyway.
Keeping accountable?  Agendas?

Perspective.  Going after a GM for Freddie's record is an agenda.  Going after a guard when the passing game blew the lead created from a huge play by DORSEY'S talented FA acquisition Hunt.

Their are only so many NFL HCs who provide a positive edge.

GMs provide the biggest piece of the puzzle, franchise QB, or they get fired.  You either have a franchise QB or you don't.  Dorsey has proven his mettle.  He got us the franchise.  You build from that point if your HC can just be a place holder but if you get lucky and you have a great HC then its the championship combo.  GMs don't pint their index finger in the chest of the owner and say we're hiring this coach bud because I'M HMFIC. 

Choosing to go after the GM after he not only got the franchise and a franchise RB and a franchise WR and has filled out the other skill positions in addition to Denzel Ward and Sheldon Richardson is silly. 

The first game showed Freddie was in over his head.  He's improved, we all love him as a person but he does not provide a positive edge.  He's showing who he is and its not a good NFL HC.  No agenda, objectively he's not a good NFL HC.  He was providing a positive edge as an OC but not as a HC.

Going after a GM for Freddie's record is an agenda. 
Making stuff up is agenda fitting.

Going after a guard
You brought him up. Don't get mad at me for correcting your cherry picking.

GMs provide the biggest piece of the puzzle, franchise QB, or they get fired.  You either have a franchise QB or you don't.  Dorsey has proven his mettle.  He got us the franchise. 
This is the most important piece...and I think he got the guy. There's also a whole lot more to being a good GM than identifying the franchise QB. 

Choosing to go after the GM after he not only got the franchise and a franchise RB and a franchise WR and has filled out the other skill positions in addition to Denzel Ward and Sheldon Richardson is silly. 
There have been a lot more transactions than just those 5 - I may take this post more seriously if you unpack all of them and not just your cherry picking.

The first game showed Freddie was in over his head.  He's improved, we all love him as a person but he does not provide a positive edge.  He's showing who he is and its not a good NFL HC.  No agenda, objectively he's not a good NFL HC.  He was providing a positive edge as an OC but not as a HC.
As I have said multiple times before if Freddie gets whacked then he's earned it. That action alone does not leave me thinking any more optimistically about 2020 though. 

Facts are facts.  Teller did give up at least 2 sacks in the Pitt game.  Was he at RG that game or out of position at tackle?  I can't remember and don't want to look.  Our tackles acted as revolving doors that game. 

Facts are facts.  Teller did give up at least 2 sacks in the Pitt game.  Was he at RG that game or out of position at tackle?  I can't remember and don't want to look.  Our tackles acted as revolving doors that game. 
RG - I believe it was McCray and Hubbard at tackle.

This is the most important piece...and I think he got the guy. There's also a whole lot more to being a good GM than identifying the franchise QB. 
Explain your case against Dorsey.  You admit he got the franchise now what is the reason why he's the problem and not Freddie because that is what you have said but failed to make any case.  You won't even say why just because you say so which is not a case.

Explain your case against Dorsey.  You admit he got the franchise now what is the reason why he's the problem and not Freddie because that is what you have said but failed to make any case.  You won't even say why just because you say so which is not a case.
Jesus, Tony.

As I have said multiple times before if Freddie gets whacked then he's earned it.
Your inability to read is second only to...

You indulge in the blame game.
...your hypocrisy.

'---

Be better next time.

Jesus, Tony.

Your inability to read is second only to...

...your hypocrisy.

'---

Be better next time.
Bad take guy strikes again.  How many pages will your ego allow this time?  Dorsey is responsible? 

Mac lowering the bar in the Sharkpool once again.  Really difficult to go 4th grade.  What's next.  Calling me a poopie head?

I don't know if Freddie is part of the answer. He's given you plenty of reasons to doubt he is. He's not the source of the problem though. That's Dorsey.

He was given an unprecedented amount of assets and turned it into an interesting collection of talent, but not a team. This is a dumb team and it's not because of the coach. It's the architect that put these pieces together. He created an environment that prioritized youth and volatile personalities. If you want discipline and accountability in your culture then you need veteran glue pieces. This team lacked those. That contributed to the poor start. Then without those glue pieces the whole puzzle came unraveled once enough injuries, mental midgetness, and his blatant misses accumulated.

The OL is fine. It's not good enough to play from behind against a unit like that one, but it's effective enough against lesser ones or playing with a lead against better ones. But why has it been exposed against better units? Because Dorsey bet on Corbett and was wrong. He also didn't bring in adequate insurance at TE should something happen to Njoku. Darren Fells isn't anything special, but he's an effective blocker and can make a couple plays in the passing game on occasion. Dorsey's solution (Harris) sucks at both. So the problem at tackle became a bigger problem because he made the positions around it worse. But it's still only a problem when playing from behind against stout pass rush's like Pittsburgh and San Fran, which should not have happened yesterday but the defense imploded.

Moving Peppers was the price of poker, but Dorsey didn't adequately replace him (Burnett) then put that position at peril as it relied on Randall's explosive personality. In an attempt to try to improve that position (Murray) he made the DE depth (Ogbah) worse. Both of those positions were major factors yesterday. As was corner, again. Was it fair to put Greedy in a starting position day one? Maybe not, but he's been an issue all season. A little coincidental that as soon as he leaves the game due to injury his backup creates a turnover. Speaking of rookies, we've needed too much of them at LB because Dorsey didn't bring anything in behind Schobert and Kirksey.

And while all the minions are lazily pointing their finger at Freddie as the problem who is the genius that hired him? John Dorsey's winter 2019. He was given a treasure trove of assets when he was hired and has done a poor job with them. 

I've thought the problem started with Dorsey for weeks, but agenda pushing season is about to kick in with the season sunk. The picture will become muddier before it gets clearer, so I want to see what calculated leaks get out (and how) before jumping to any conclusions. I think it's clear Kitchens will be the fall guy, but removing him does not solve the problem and there will be more carnage than just him and Randall. 

As much negativity as I have spewed today I actually don't think we are in that bad of shape...if all fronts are on the same page anyway. This is why I mentioned agendas somewhere upstream. This is the time of year that individuals start pressing their own for self preservation purposes. If those aren't apparent over the next month there will be signs for optimism. Need to weather those storms though.
Since I don't like wasting time repeating myself here's a sample from literally the last two weeks when I am clearly just tossing blanket statements without substance criticizing Dorsey. The problem is more nuanced than Dorsey. It's more nuanced than Freddie. I think the problems start with Dorsey. Where do they go from there? I don't know. If you pretend to know then I think you already decided your destination and no facts to the contrary will sway you.

Browns gave up 1 sack in the first game. Above average. 5 in the 2nd. Below average

Steelers have 48 sacks this season. Average 3.69 per game. 

Browns gave up 1 sack in the first game. Above average. 5 in the 2nd. Below average

Steelers have 48 sacks this season. Average 3.69 per game. 
I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or disputing something.  Pressures can be just as destructive as sacks.  It was not a good day for the tackles.

beer 30 said:
I love it when we eat our own :popcorn:
It frustrates me because I don't even think of myself as pro-Freddie. I'm not sure exactly where I am on him, but I see both positives (parallel's to the good traits of Pettine and Butch) and negatives (the bad trait's of Farmer and Shurmur). It's just clear how anti-Freddie everyone is - and they have seemingly been there since October (or sooner). It appears they're taking that negative bias and just fitting what's happened since to that narrative. So I find myself constantly defending him...even though I'm not sure I actually believe it.  It's...weird.

It frustrates me because I don't even think of myself as pro-Freddie. I'm not sure exactly where I am on him, but I see both positives (parallel's to the good traits of Pettine and Butch) and negatives (the bad trait's of Farmer and Shurmur). It's just clear how anti-Freddie everyone is - and they have seemingly been there since October (or sooner). It appears they're taking that negative bias and just fitting what's happened since to that narrative. So I find myself constantly defending him...even though I'm not sure I actually believe it.  It's...weird.
:lmao: I hear you. I look at some of the stuff he does and think wtf? But then I try to temper my thoughts with first year HC, overall record not bad (just not what we expected) so I step back and think how do we fix this. I'm not sure who's responsible for the game plan but whoever it is needs to have a sit down at the end of the year and made to throw away whatever book they are working out of. Whether that's Freddie or Monken or a combination, whatever they are doing, stop it. If that means the OC goes and you get somebody else in to take the play calling off Freddie's table, so be it.

I'm just tired of the revolving door at HC. Not buying that McCarthy is the answer but you're going to hear that a ton in the coming months. Rivera is going to the Giants, I'd bet the house on it. If you could pry Josh McDaniels from the Pats I'd listen but I don't think that's happening either (nor would Bill let him come to Cleveland). I think you stick with Freddie and act like adults, have some hard conversations and get this #### right.

AUDIO LINK  🔊 >>>  Ross Tucker "I'd be shocked if they brought Freddie Kitchens back."

Browns should reach out to Ron Rivera, now that he's available

NFL insider Ross Tucker joins Lead Off to discuss why he doesn't see the Cleveland Browns bringing back head coach Freddie Kitchens, and why they should act fast on Ron Rivera, who just got fired in Carolina.

"Many examples of how he [Kitchens] just doesn't get it. ... He just doesn't get it and it doesn't look like he's ever going to get it so unfortunately I think they are going to move on from him.

I think Ron Rivera would be a great choice.  I really do.  They do need some discipline there...  I think Ron Rivera has some cache.  He's been in the league awhile, he was a former player.  I love the idea of Ron Rivera to the Cleveland Browns."
Ross Tucker goes on to say he wouldn't be surprised if we didn't reach out to Ron's people to express an interest but doesn't think we'd fire Freddie with three games left.  He speaks of issues with Baker and OBJ hinting a disciplined HC would not have allowed unnecessary distractions.

---------

Pete Smith has been shading Dorsey so he is trying to get out in front of the 'possibility' of Kitchens being fired with his spin.

Kitchens has hired a great staff so keeping the hire in-house would be good in that we'd keep a very-talented coaching staff intact.  Wilks has done a great job considering all of the injuries he's already overcome and the suspension of his best player.  The ST coach has improved that unit.  We've got a good staff, one of the best since the return.

I think it is too early to start throwing out names or shoveling dirt on Kitchens but since its starting I'll throw out one name that has not surfaced by anyone... Gary Kubiak.  Kubes has great coaching lines from the Shanahan tree, former player, successful as a HC but had to give it up due to a medical condition but he is back healthy and has successful as the OC with Minnesota.  His blocking schemes and how he moves the QB would mesh well with our personnel.  He seems to tic off every box if we move on from Freddie.

Here's Pete's latest.

---------

If Browns Fire Kitchens, Expect a Prearranged Replacement

I mentioned Rivera above but I'm thinking his ship is sailing to the Giants. He and the GM (Dave Gettlemen) have a long, beautiful history together and Shurmur is gonna, well Shurmur. Just my theory.

In January 2013, Gettleman was chosen to become the General Manager of the Carolina Panthers. In the 2015 season, the Panthers reached Super Bowl 50 on February 7, 2016. The Panthers fell to the Denver Broncos by a score of 24–10. On July 17, 2017, the Panthers relieved him of his duties as General Manager. During Gettleman's tenure as General Manager the Panthers compiled a regular season record of 51-28-1. In that 5-year timeframe the Panthers advanced to the playoffs 4 seasons and won 3 NFC South titles. This is notable because the Panthers have only made the playoffs 8 times in their 24 year history.

And having lived in the Carolina's that entire time, I don't want Rivera running this offense. He'll run the ball to death but you might as well trade away your WR's no and get something for them because they will be wasted in his offense. You're also gonna need a back up QB stat.

Users who are viewing this thread