What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (9 Viewers)

you guys probably know way more about defense than i do, i'm still learning.

but it seems to me if a competent DC can get the defense into the top 10-15 range, the Browns should be able to make the playoffs next year.
If we have a competent DC and a top 10-15 defense then making the playoffs isn't on my mind - I'd expect us to be competing with the top 3 of the AFC.

...Make it three straight weeks where rookie defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey has put a positive step forward
Browns DT Perrion Winfrey Named to SIS All-Rookie Team
...The Browns have a lot of questions at defensive tackle with not a lot of answers. If Winfrey can build off of year one, perhaps it could bode well for both sides.
---------------------------------------
Jake Burns
@jake_burns18
This speaks to the quality of the DT class more than anything. BUT PErrion becoming something serious would mean so much for this defense. He had a couple really great sacks wiped out by flags late this past year.
steve smiff sr was GUSHING about perrion winfrey on NFL network

the 290-pounder ran a 4.89 and came in with arms the length of Inspector Gadget. Despite being under the 300-pound mark, Winfrey is explosive and powerful — his explosiveness and length shock interior blockers off the snap. If the mock draft data is accurate, someone is drafting arguably the biggest sleeper in the NFL Draft class.

If Glenn Cook gets the Titans GM job, #Browns
CLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png
get
:
2023 3rd
2024 3rd
Nate Ulrich
@ByNateUlrich

ICYMI: #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png executive Glenn Cook will interview to become general manager of #TitansTENTitans2022SeasonEmoji.png. Cook's audition, per
@RapSheet
, will be today
-------------------
:thumbup: 🤞🤞🤞🤞

2023 NFL Free Agents Who Teams Should Be Eyeing over Super Wild Card Weekend

Poona Ford, DL, Seattle Seahawks​

1. A versatile, productive interior defender, Ford has had three consecutive strong campaigns, averaging 42.6 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 6.7 tackles for loss and 12.0 quarterback pressures in that time.
    With a projected market value of $9.2 million annually, the 27-year-old is set to cash in.
    The Cleveland Browns should make a concerted effort to snag Ford if they can clear some cap room. ..

1. A versatile, productive interior defender, Ford has had three consecutive strong campaigns, averaging 42.6 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 6.7 tackles for loss and 12.0 quarterback pressures in that time.
    With a projected market value of $9.2 million annually, the 27-year-old is set to cash in.
    The Cleveland Browns should make a concerted effort to snag Ford if they can clear some cap room. ..
Browns can clear 30-100 Million in Cap Space if they want to

no halftime adjustments
Nugget worth sharing for future reference whenever this topic comes up.
--------------------------
Awful Announcing
@awfulannouncing
"I don't know if I ever made a halftime adjustment in my entire 18-year career. I think that's the biggest myth in football- the halftime adjustments. You go in, you use the restroom, you eat a couple of oranges, and then the head coach says, 'Alright, let's go!'"- Peyton Manning

>>> LINK to video

This is why I laughed...and laughed...and laughed some more as that ignorant message spread throughout last year that Watson's contract structure was a game to get around his suspension. Its structure was absolutely setup that way to game around something...that something wasn't a suspension though. It was the cap. How much of it are they going to mess with this year? It depends on who is acquired to be brought in. Ultimately, they have a number they want to roll over, so as they add talent they'll need to reach into the restructure well to ensure they stay at that number. I do not expect them to go anywhere near $100m as that will kill future flexibility, but if the right players become available I think they'll bend beyond $30some mil, which is the minimum I expect.

This is why I laughed...and laughed...and laughed some more as that ignorant message spread throughout last year that Watson's contract structure was a game to get around his suspension. Its structure was absolutely setup that way to game around something...that something wasn't a suspension though. It was the cap. How much of it are they going to mess with this year? It depends on who is acquired to be brought in. Ultimately, they have a number they want to roll over, so as they add talent they'll need to reach into the restructure well to ensure they stay at that number. I do not expect them to go anywhere near $100m as that will kill future flexibility, but if the right players become available I think they'll bend beyond $30some mil, which is the minimum I expect.
yeah the one thing i trust the nerds in Berea with is to be able to do math.

Daron Payne? https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/daron-payne-and-the-cleveland-browns

i saw that article the other day.

i'm a bit torn if they should try to get one great DT, or if it makes more sense to try to find several good DTs. they are going to need depth.

maybe they'll do both.

the more I read and listen about Schwartz, the more I’m really liking this hire.

hope I still feel that way this time next year!

Schwartz ran Philly's D as mentioned above. He's been a classic 4-3 guy and a 3-4 /4-3 hybrid.

He needs the middle better. It can't be always compensating or cheating towards the middle.

They need a thumper MLB as mentioned above and the DTs have to be stout but also absorb their blocker. I know a common thought but I mean this will be mandatory from him. You might be surprised by a cut here n there or a signing...that'll be what he's doing.

The Browns have enough quality elsewhere, I'm sure he was adamant about that before taking the job and he'll get his wish since it's such a reasonable and small ask.

Koramoah is either traded or a weapon too.

Schwartz adapts nicely and can use all the Browns have tailoring to their strengths outside.

If he gets his middle, I bet this is a top 5-10 defense.
If he doesn't, 20ish.

the more I read and listen about Schwartz, the more I’m really liking this hire.

Given how quickly he was signed I suspect management shared their DT priority list with him and got his endorsement. He isn't taking this job if cutting corners at that position is on the table again. I'm skeptical about meaningful investments at LB though,

Given how quickly he was signed I suspect management shared their DT priority list with him and got his endorsement. He isn't taking this job if cutting corners at that position is on the table again. I'm skeptical about meaningful investments at LB though,
I don’t think this defense really requires great talent at LB. if they can get some guys who are solid tacklers, that might be enough.

I do wonder if they’ve considered moving JOK to safety.

I don’t think this defense really requires great talent at LB. if they can get some guys who are solid tacklers, that might be enough.

Getting one may be a chore, but with a legitimate free safety Schwartz can reak some havoc moving JOK and Delpit around near the L.O.S. Like you said, just need a reliable body in the middle to glue them all together. That was supposed to be Walker and still could going forward, but how's that rehab...

What is the story behind his departure though? Walked away from the Eagles DC job...did he just need a break? More to it than that? Seems odd.

What is the story behind his departure though? Walked away from the Eagles DC job...did he just need a break? More to it than that? Seems odd.
Wasn't the 'most popular' but check the story below that 'hints' he was dealing with some medical issues and knew he couldn't devote fully to coaching while dealing with those issues, so he stepped away till he was healthy.
-------------------------------------
Jim Schwartz back into coaching role already with Titans
...While Schwartz wasn’t the most popular coach during his time in Philadelphia, his defenses actually performed pretty well, especially considering the level of talent he was given at times.

Jim Schwartz Officially Steps Down as Eagles' DC
... has dealt with some health issues recently, including eye and hip surgeries.

"I have given my heart and soul to the game of football, not just over the last five years here, but throughout my 32 years as a coach," Schwartz said. "Although my passion for the game remains strong, it is best for me to step back from the day-to-day of coaching for the time being. I have too much respect for the game and for everybody involved to compromise the level of commitment that I believe is necessary to do the job. ..

story i heard was that he saw the writing on the wall that Pederson was going to be fired so he got out early so he could figure out his next move.

Getting one may be a chore, but with a legitimate free safety Schwartz can reak some havoc moving JOK and Delpit around near the L.O.S. Like you said, just need a reliable body in the middle to glue them all together. That was supposed to be Walker and still could going forward, but how's that rehab...
so the Free Safety would be the single high safety while the corners are playing more man coverage?

Throughout the season, I decried the "Ivory Tower" approach on both sides of the ball. That is, it seemed like the coaches were treating things like a chess match versus the opposing coaches, disregarding their playing personnel. While that approach might work over the board (a rook is a rook is a rook) it's not realistic when your "pieces" are human. For example, I can see where a 4-2-5 might work on paper, but it takes exceptional talent at every position. Having said all that, I found it refreshing to hear that Schwartz is going to "let the players play". I hope that Kevin does the same.

Throughout the season, I decried the "Ivory Tower" approach on both sides of the ball. That is, it seemed like the coaches were treating things like a chess match versus the opposing coaches, disregarding their playing personnel. While that approach might work over the board (a rook is a rook is a rook) it's not realistic when your "pieces" are human. For example, I can see where a 4-2-5 might work on paper, but it takes exceptional talent at every position. Having said all that, I found it refreshing to hear that Schwartz is going to "let the players play". I hope that Kevin does the same.
The more I think about it, the more I think this should apply to the defense only. The offense NEEDS to be innovative with occasional "trick-eration". That, in itself, adds a level of difficulty, since there is only one head coach and most people fall into one category or the other. That is, it looks like the head coach needs to flexible enough to embrace both concepts, keep them separate, and make sure his team buys into it. Fun puzzle!

Slam dunk.
----------------
Nate Ulrich@ByNateUlrich
Cool to see #SeahawksSEASeahawks2022SeasonEmoji.png HOF left tackle Walter Jones break the Hall of Fame news to #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png great:tebow: Joe Thomas. Joe studied Walter's game a lot. "I would say he was a guy who I probably had the most respect for in the Hall of Fame," Thomas said recently at Greater CLE Sports Awards.
XXWjM09W_normal.jpg
Pro Football Hall of Fame
@ProFootballHOF
Tonight, you found out the members of the Hall of Fame's Class of 2023. On Saturday, you can see how "they" found out they were selected. That's when Hall of Fame Knocks: Welcome to Canton debuts on @nflnetwork at 8:00 PM (EST).
LINK to video
-------------------
Dan Murphy
@DMurph_BrownsPR
@JoeThomas73
is the 7th first-ballot tackle to be voted to the
@ProFootballHOF
joining:
Jackie Slater
Jim Parker
Forrest Gregg
Walter Jones
Anthony Munoz
Jonathan Ogden
-------------------
Joe Thomas
@joethomas73
Thank you for everything, Cleveland. See you in Canton!
LINK to video
============
Daryl Ruiter
@RuiterWrongFAN

The NFL has renamed the award that goes to the league's leading rusher after #Browns Hall of Famer
@JimBrownNFL32
- it is now "The :tebow: Jim Brown award" :tebow:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread