What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (14 Viewers)

So Stefanski might serve as the OC also?

We are continually setting the bar for how stupid a team can really be.

Nothing says stupid like constantly hiring inexperienced coaches and asking too much out of them day 1.
Well if they quit with the stupid tricky BS that fools no one, that's an improvement.

Well if they quit with the stupid tricky BS that fools no one, that's an improvement.
I want my newbie head coach to worry about the game, strategy........not the tedious task of calling plays that will take his attention away from important decision making.

Far less chance of doing dumb things when you have less to manage.

Plus an OC is going to do better than Stefanski when their only job is calling plays.

Let's also remember Stefanski barely has any experience as a coordinator let along coach....let alone doing both.

We just did this with freddie

Last edited by a moderator:
I want my newbie head coach to worry about the game, strategy........not the tedious task of calling plays that will take his attention away from important decision making.

Far less chance of doing dumb things when you have less to manage.

Plus an OC is going to do better than Stefanski when their only job is calling plays.

Let's also remember Stefanski barely has any experience as a coordinator let along coach....let alone doing both.

We just did this with freddie
Still don't know alot about him, but Stef comes off as a truly genuine person.  So when he says somebody else might call plays, I do believe him.  Coaches usually have no problem telling the media that they will indeed call plays if that's what they intend to do.  It's a power/security thing.  Freddie is a great example, and you're right we just did this.  I think if Stef gets the right person, then I think he'll let that person call the plays.  Let's see who the hire is.

I don't think this will be the case.  Stefanski said he's open to having someone else calls plays.  The fact that they haven't hired an OC yet leads me to think it'll be one of the two SF coordinators.  Rumors are that CLE prefers Mike McDaniel, but it's a wait and see game.  Shanahan has gone on record that he will let his coordinators interview for an OC role only if they get to call the plays.  This is the week that they can interview, so let's see what happens.  If the interview is granted by SF, then we know Stefanski is open to letting someone else call plays on game day.

On the flip side, it looks as though Joe Woods (SF DB Coach) is the leading candidate for CLE DC.  He coached/learned under Wade Phillips and has time to continue growing/building on that knowledge.  He's done wonders with the SF secondary, and I think his methods fit well with the CLE personnel in the backfield (going Man2Man vs Zone).

I don't think this will be the case.  Stefanski said he's open to having someone else calls plays.  The fact that they haven't hired an OC yet leads me to think it'll be one of the two SF coordinators.  Rumors are that CLE prefers Mike McDaniel, but it's a wait and see game.  Shanahan has gone on record that he will let his coordinators interview for an OC role only if they get to call the plays.  This is the week that they can interview, so let's see what happens.  If the interview is granted by SF, then we know Stefanski is open to letting someone else call plays on game day.

On the flip side, it looks as though Joe Woods (SF DB Coach) is the leading candidate for CLE DC.  He coached/learned under Wade Phillips and has time to continue growing/building on that knowledge.  He's done wonders with the SF secondary, and I think his methods fit well with the CLE personnel in the backfield (going Man2Man vs Zone).
No NFL team can block a coach from interviewing for a promotion.  Example, a coordinator to HC or positional coach to coordinator.

The story is BS.  One fringe blogger said Ian Rappaport noted it and linked an article that never mentioned it.  Went back to link it but the story got pulled.

Reports are saying Vike's HC Mike Zimmer is trying to keep Gary Kubiak and his son Clint from accepting positions with another team.

Safe bet we are the team trying to get them because we are interested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ProFootballTalk‏Verified account @ProFootballTalk

There’s buzz that Browns could soon be making a “big name hire” for offensive coordinator. Some are keeping an eye on Gary Kubiak.

4:33 PM - 13 Jan 2019

Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, left, says Gary Kubiak, right, "has been invaluable" as an assistant head coach and offensive adviser

Gary Kubiak...

"Having him around has been invaluable to me," Stefanski said. "This is my first year doing this, so having somebody that I can bounce ideas off of both during the week and during the game and then on top of that … you guys know Gary -- great person. In terms of working together, I think he among all of our staff, I'd point out to every single one of our coaches, I think it's a really great working environment where we could get a lot done and respect each other's ideas and thoughts. And Gary's certainly at the forefront of that."
Browns targeting Gary Kubiak as offensive coordinator

Cleveland Browns should make hiring Gary Kubiak priority

Wilks def out, so that should make many happy.  I was sort of indifferent.  I am glad we're looking to improve though.  

No NFL team can block a coach from interviewing for a promotion.  Example, a coordinator to HC or positional coach to coordinator.

The story is BS.  One fringe blogger said Ian Rappaport noted it and linked an article that never mentioned it.  Went back to link it but the story got pulled.
<LeeCorso>Not so fast my friend!</LeeCorso>

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001097523/article/conference-title-games-feature-desirable-coaching-candidates

The Browns have interest in either 49ers passing game coordinator Mike LaFleur or run game coordinator Mike McDaniel to come in as offensive coordinator. However, official requests may not go in because both are under contract and unlikely to be allowed out to go to Cleveland. The Browns are casting a wide net with no time constraints to hire. Cleveland also considered both coaches as possible head coach candidates but never requested them and only interviewed defensive coordinator and finalist Robert Saleh before hiring Kevin Stefanski.

As both are considered Assistant Coaches, SF can block interview requests for all but HC opportunities.  This is why CLE considered interviewing them as HC candidates previously, but didn't do it.

Also read that Kubiak enjoyed not being in charge and having more freedom.  He may not be interested in coaching, but staying as a high level assistant/consultant.  If that's the case, then CLE would need to hire Lil Kubiak and hope his dad joins him.  However, I believe their contracts goes through the 2020 season.  I could be wrong though, as I don't recall where I read that bit.

We are continually setting the bar for how stupid a team can really be.

Nothing says stupid like constantly hiring inexperienced coaches and asking too much out of them day 1.
My contention is OC's who get hired as head coaches who don't stop calling plays, never fully become head coaches because they are so wrapped up in the offensive play calling. It can still work, aka Reid and Payton, but even those coaches have had trouble winning the big one (1 super bowl win in their 34 seasons of coaching)

Callahan is an excellent get.

He doesn't come directly from the slide-zone Shanahan school.  He coached in Washington but that was after the Shanahans.  I can't find a direct connection to zone blocking and we're going all-in building the team from that concept.

Callahan's big because he develops young O-linemen and we've got two in the oven, Wyatt Teller (3rd year in the league) and Drew Forbes (2nd).  Forbes didn't really see the field before getting injured, he is a candidate at left and more likely right tackle.  We traded for Teller and he's purely a guard (RG).  We almost certainly will draft an OT and 'likely' more than one.  Callahan and good young O-Line prospect = excellent.

Bill has been around since 1980 so he's seen it all so I'm sure he's used wide/slide/inside-outside zone.  This is big, it is what the entire organization is getting behind and betting on.  If we get the GM hire right and he gets an OT who can start, be productive/play at a high level as a rookie then the O-line will be a strength.  

Backstory, origins.  In effect it all started with Alex Gibbs who coached under Mike Shanahan with the Broncos during their SB runs of the 90s. 

Alex Gibbs, the godfather of the modern zone blocking scheme 84 While the offenses for the Broncos and Seahawks were on opposite ends of the spectrum in Super Bowl XLVIII in terms of style, they were both rooted in blocking scheme principals developed by Alex Gibbs.

Remember all of those unknown RBs who led the league in rushing?  Rueben Droughes (first Browns player 2nd edition to gain 1,000 yards in a season) and Peyton Hillis (Madden cover boy and 1,000 yard rusher for the Browns) odd that both were FBs.  The Denver zone blocking system under Gibbs also produced, Terrell Davis, Orlandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Tatum 'freak'n' Bell, and then when he went to Washington he did it again with Alfred Morris.  

Zone blocking in the news again.  Both stories came out weeks ago.

Callahan doesn't come directly from this system but he's aware and can learn/teach it and he is excellent developing young O-linemen.  

Next step getting the GM who gets us the OT/TEs/FB to bring it all together.  Their is a plan, a good plan in place.  Not counting any chickens but its a good plan.

Browns' Odell Beckham Jr. undergoes surgery for core muscle injury

So how long does it take to recover from sports hernia surgery?
 ...The Browns suggested his recovery timeline will be similar to Kareem Hunt's, who underwent sports hernia surgery in training camp and was clicking on all cylinders by the time his eight-game suspension had ended. Beckham turns 28 in November.

SOURCE: Cleveland Browns on Twitter

Jan 21, 2020, 11:12 AM ET

-------------------------------------------

Zimmer on Replacing Stefanski and Edwards, His Contract Status Moving Forward, Keeping Continuity on Offense, Cousins' Season + Future, More Head Coach Mike Zimmer addressed the media from the TCO Performance Center on Monday.

Go to the 1:30  minute mark to hear what he says about Gary Kubiak taking over as the OC for Stefanski.  

If Kubiak wanted the job he would have already signed the contract.  Zimmer kept going on about continuity and how he didn't want the terminology or scheme to change on offense but when asked if he was going to make Kubiak the OC he says that he "Doesn't want to talk about it and  the conversations he's had with Gary are private."

So he wants the offense to stay the same and wants continuity, doesn't want terminology to change and he's had conversation(S) with Gary but Gary is still not taking the bait.

I've  tried to find out the contract status of Kubiak but can't find it but Zimmer has one year left on his contract and I have to imagine all of his assistants have the same contract structure.  That  would leave Gary and Clint and O-Line coach Rick Dennison (a protege of Zone Blocking legend Alex Gibbs) all with one year left on their contracts.

If you note how many changes Zimmer has made with his offense, from 2014 to present six years and this is what has happened with his offensive coordinators.  Norv Turner was his buddy and they lasted the longest,  two and a half years before former Browns OC Norv resigned IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON only to be replaced by former Browns HC Pat Schumer.  Former Browns OC John DeFilippo took over before he got fired DURING THE SEASON by Zimmer and was replaced by current Browsn HC Kevin Stefanski.  Icky Browns/Vikings offense incestuous relationship.  

------------------

Norv Turner, Mike Zimmer split stuns Vikings as Turner quits offensive coordinator's job

Coordinator says he, coach differed on offensive plan

NOVEMBER 3, 2016 — 7:12AM

--------------------

Pat Schumer 2016 through the 2017 season named Assistant coach of the year left take over as the Giants HC

-------------------

John DeFilippo - Vikings fire John DeFilippo

Posted by Mike Florio on December 11, 2018, 12:08 PM EST

--------------------

Vikings announce John DeFilippo out, Kevin Stefanski in as offensive coordinator

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 11, 2018, 12:28 PM EST

--------------------

Mike Zimmer came in with a gruff reputation and he's torn through offensive coordinators like a hot knife through butter.

I'm guessing Kubiak isn't chomping at the bit to take over as OC.

OR Gary 'might' be pimping his son Clint for the job. 

Assistant coaches are the, sic,  'lowest paid' only $150,000 annually (yeah tough to make ends meet with that sort of salary) but coordinators make three times that much.  Gary has made his and probably wants to set his kid up so if he got Clint an OC job with a four/five year contract he could live off that the rest of his life. 

The last part is total speculation on my part but if it isn't that then Gary must want out or away from Zim because... that seems to be a pattern with him.  (The next will be his 5th OC in six years, and all 5 came in the past three and a half years which is bad for any team with the same HC)  

Per Mary Kay: Ex-Broncos OC Rich Scangarello is in CLE today interviewing with #Browns HC Kevin Stefanski, as reported here Sat. Exact title to be determined, but QBs could be included

Would be another good hire.  Stefanski covering all bases right now with like minded play-callers for "his" offense.  

Paton in Berea today for his 2nd interview with the FO.  Looks like a good sign if Haslam/DePo are willing to go with the Coach's suggestion over a familiar face in Berry.

Paton in Berea today for his 2nd interview with the FO.  Looks like a good sign if Haslam/DePo are willing to go with the Coach's suggestion over a familiar face in Berry.
Also a good sign he even showed up. Heard it was going to be tough to get him out of MN. Hoping 13 years with Stefanski helped play a part in that.

Very interesting talk recently given by Paul DePodesta at an applied analytics conference where he gave lots of references to the movie Money Ball/baseball/and the Browns.

Its great because he tells his philosophy of how analytics are applied.  He said he knew he was going to make unpopular decisions that would take time to unfold and that he would face adversity from his peers, internally within the organization, and the most passionate people - the fans.

Its a really good talk if you have the time because it gives insights into what he's doing with the Browns.  He ends his talk by saying 'Root for the Browns' and gets a standing-O.

Paul DePodesta on Moneyball at the Lift18 Strata Decision Summit

Jan 2, 2020

I've been thinking that if it was to be a Kubiak, that would've been wrapped up by now.  The longer the wait, the more I think it's a SF guy.

I've been thinking that if it was to be a Kubiak, that would've been wrapped up by now.  The longer the wait, the more I think it's a SF guy.
Report: Cleveland Browns ‘unlikely’ to land San Francisco assistants Mike LaFleur, Mike McDaniel as OC

...the Browns reportedly are not going to get a chance to bring in two of their leading candidates for the vacancy, according to NFL Network and NFL.com insider Ian Rapoport.

“The Browns have interest in either 49ers passing game coordinator Mike LaFleur or run game coordinator Mike McDaniel to come in as offensive coordinator,” Rapoport wrote on NFL.com earlier this week. “However, official requests may not go in because both are under contract and unlikely to be allowed out to go to Cleveland.”

“The Browns are casting a wide net with no time constraints to hire,” Rapoport wrote. “Cleveland also considered both coaches as possible head coach candidates, but never requested them.”
I have no idea where they turn? 

Josh McCown?

Eagles had interest in keeping Josh McCown as a coach, possibly offensive coordinator by Jeff McLane, Updated: January 22, 2020

While a jump from player to coordinator would be a significant one, working under Pederson would have allowed McCown to learn on the job. He took on the role of a quasi-coach backing up quarterback Carson Wentz last season.

Wentz and others credited McCown, who had first met the starter months earlier, with his improved play in the last month of the season.
He's 40 but says he still wants to play.  He might be ready to turn to coaching.

I think he'd make a great QB coach and be on the fast-track to become a passing game/offensive coordinator.

Baker would benefit but lots of other teams would be interested.

McCown to OC is a very quick turn.  I agree that he should start as QB Coach and go from there.  I think that would be a good starting point for him.

CLE has also interviewed former DEN OC Rich Scangarello, who has connections to Shanahan from his ATL days.  I assumed Rich would be the QB Coach, but that may change now.

Guess it's more of the wait and see game.  If they were going to interview, this would have been the week to do it - assuming SF would allow it.  Next week is off limits.  

McCown to OC is a very quick turn.  I agree that he should start as QB Coach and go from there.  I think that would be a good starting point for him.

CLE has also interviewed former DEN OC Rich Scangarello, who has connections to Shanahan from his ATL days.  I assumed Rich would be the QB Coach, but that may change now.

Guess it's more of the wait and see game.  If they were going to interview, this would have been the week to do it - assuming SF would allow it.  Next week is off limits.  
Scangarello knows the offense, both the zone blocking and how the Shannahan's built upon that concept in the passing game with the roll-boot movements. 

Stefanski would benefit immensely from having someone versed in the offense to help with the installs but I'm not thrilled with him as OC and that is why his name being thrown out as QB coach works much better IMHO. 

I don't think Callahan is viewed as OC  material.

Josh's contract runs out in March.  A few teams are looking for OCs right now.

Sigh.  I don't know about the jump but he's under contract for $2 million so going down to an assistant coaches pat would be a significant hit.  I'm sure he wants to get at least one more year at a player's salary.  Highest paid assistant in the NFL is McDaniels at $5 million per year.  McCown would have to work for a decade at regular assistant coach salary to earn what he made last year.   I think when he makes the switch he will be a great QB/passing game coordinator and work up to OC possibly HC down the line but probably not OC material just yet and as far as I know he's got no connection to the offense Stefanski would implement.

Callahan has no direct connection to zone blocking but he's seen it all and is great developing players to fit scheme but the OC 'should' have a working knowledge but we 'probably' are not going to box ourselves into Scangarello.

What names have people seen that seem interesting?

Has he gotten a better haircut?
If you follow Ben Axelrod, then the answer is no.... :lmao:

Per Ben Axelrod: "Ben McAdoo looks like the lead referee in an unsanctioned wrestling match" - @LeBatardShow @WhatHeLooksLike

RT by Ben Axelrod: Ben McAdoo looks like a father who embarrasses his family by annunciating the "j" in 'chicken fajita' when ordering at Taco Bell.

RT by Ben Axelrod: Ben McAdoo looks like the dad who aggressively posts the energy bill on the fridge when it gets too high.

RT by Ben Axelrod: Ben McAdoo looks like every dad from America's Funniest Home Videos who's ever been hit in the #### with a whiffle ball bat.

RT by Ben Axelrod: Ben McAdoo looks like the dad who says his unathletic son didn't make the freshman baseball team because of "politics."

RT by Ben Axelrod: Ben McAdoo looks like he changes tires on a NASCAR pit crew.

May not be an OC, but another Offensive Hire.

Browns Hire Drew Petzing as TE Coach.  He was the MIN WR Coach last year with Stefanski.

The bar of the last  three OC's/play-callers that were hired in the off-season isn't high.

• Hue
  • Haley
  • Ktichens.
If we got Scangarello as QB coach/passing game coordinator to help with installing the offense/helping other coaches with terms/concepts and went with an OC in name with Stefanski calling plays instead of an OC lacking familiarity with this offense then I'm warming to that idea since the candidates are not great fits.

May not be an OC, but another Offensive Hire.

Browns Hire Drew Petzing as TE Coach.  He was the MIN WR Coach last year with Stefanski.
Hmnn.  You would 'think' an OC would want/demand some say in hiring of his assistant coaches so many this is a way of easing Stefanski in as HC/OC since he obviously had input into this hire.

not a good sign, imo. 
I thought he'd be a hard get from the beginning. Entrenched in MN for 13 years, has a family there, turned down multiple interviews over the years. Think he kicked the tires here out of respect for Stefanski but obviously they couldn't get it across the finish line. I don't read into this any more than a guy that is comfortable where his doing what he does.

What might cause a problem is the message this multiple interview deal sends to the other two affecting their willingness to come here now. Not sure I care much other than we're probably missing some face time with recruits at the Senior Bowl.

i know none of this really matters in the end, but it just feels weird.  

this search is not doing anything to help instill me with any confidence.  

not that much of anything could at this point, i guess. 

PSA, if you didn’t already know, don’t speed in Rocky River.  

learned that lesson years ago. 

they have one exit on 90, but write more tickets than the rest of the western suburbs combined.

can’t believe Hunt has lived in Westlake since the spring and hadn’t figured that out yet.   

PSA, if you didn’t already know, don’t speed in Rocky River.  

learned that lesson years ago. 

they have one exit on 90, but write more tickets than the rest of the western suburbs combined.

can’t believe Hunt has lived in Westlake since the spring and hadn’t figured that out yet.   

More than Linndale?

I think going 17  mph over the speed limit, you're taking your chances no matter where you are. It ain't end of the world speed, but it is definitely "If you got spotted, you are getting a ticket" speed.

I think going 17  mph over the speed limit, you're taking your chances no matter where you are. It ain't end of the world speed, but it is definitely "If you got spotted, you are getting a ticket" speed.
they will give you a ticket there for 5 over certain parts of the day. 

I live in RR & drive through Linndale frequently.  River doesn't patrol I-90 more than other cities.  It's occasional, but infrequent.  Linndale doesn't patrol I-71 anymore because a law was passed several years ago that said you need at least a half-mile (?) of highway through your city to write tickets.  I see more Highway Patrol cars than anything else, especially heading south on 71.  On 90, it's rare to see anything until you're in Avon.

I know it won't happen, but how would everyone react if John Dorsey were rehired? 
He ain't coming back after this mess, why the heck would he?

And really, do we have to have a GM? I mean we could just wing it right? We kinda did that (Dorsey aside) for a while. Jimma wants to have his hands in it all, GM by committee.

Users who are viewing this thread