What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (4 Viewers)

I want to get a new HD tv to replace an old non-HD set we have. So I called up Directv to get an HD receiver and setup HD programming. She tells me it would be $100 for the receiver. New customers get free equipment leases. I remind her that Dish Network has free equipment leases for new customers. She wouldn't budge...saying my only 2 options were to pay the $100 or to wait until my current 2yr contract is up in 6 month and hopefully they can upgrade for free to keep my business. I told her that 6 month from now I'll take my business elsewhere (although I don't really want to).

I did not ask to speak to her manager, but I will call again.
did you talk to customer service or retention? When you call and the automated voice asks what you're calling for just say "cancel service". You'll be put to the retention dept and they will take care of you.
Yup. Tell them Dish is willing to pay your ETF to switch and they should open the vault for you.

Just called DTV customer retention to "cancel" my service and and go with Dish and the Hopper. Without a fight, they knocked $30/month off my bill and gave me a free upgrade to the Genie and Genie mini.

:thumbup:

Just called DTV customer retention to "cancel" my service and and go with Dish and the Hopper. Without a fight, they knocked $30/month off my bill and gave me a free upgrade to the Genie and Genie mini.

What discounts did you already have?
I am thinking I may go this route next time I am up....I hate that we can't stream our recorded content to our iPads and the Hopper lets you do this.

And what is the Genie mini?

What discounts did you already have?
I am thinking I may go this route next time I am up....I hate that we can't stream our recorded content to our iPads and the Hopper lets you do this.

And what is the Genie mini?
Think it's the mini receiver that goes with a secondary TV.

Is it too early to make the call to "cancel" in order to get the free NFL Ticket? Has anyone pulled this move yet this year? Worked like a charm last year.

Is it too early to make the call to "cancel" in order to get the free NFL Ticket? Has anyone pulled this move yet this year? Worked like a charm last year.
They already offered it to me because I unbundled my DSL (UVerse became available) so they knew something was up. That was a month ago...I haven't accepted anything since it would extend my contract and I wasn't ready to do that, but they told me call back whenever I decide and they will put it in notes that I could have it for free plus upgrade all my DVRs and boxes.

Oh, and they already knocked $20 a month off my bill. I have no movie channels, but everything else and my bill was running about $100 a month.

As part of their new protection program, you can get a free equipment upgrade every two years without signing or agreeing to a contract. Just got upgraded to the Genie myself. Love it.

Nice. I'm two years out of contract and looking to upgrade a standard set to HD and pick up another HD unit. I'll have to call them to see what I can get.

Made the annual call. Asked for my contract buyout fee, got transferred to customer retention.

Free Sunday ticket and Max upgrade.
Free genie and mini genie.
$15 off for 15 months.
$3 off for 12 months.

Forgot to ask about the movie channel offer the are currently offering new subscribers. Might call back and see if I can swing that.

Made the annual call. Asked for my contract buyout fee, got transferred to customer retention.

$15 off for 15 months.

$3 off for 12 months.

Forgot to ask about the movie channel offer the are currently offering new subscribers. Might call back and see if I can swing that.
so just say you want to cancel. when they ask why what do you usually say?

$15 off for 15 months.

$3 off for 12 months.

Cox/Dish/etc has an awesome offer that will more than make up for the early termination fee. Wife feels we have to cut costs where we can and TV is a top target. Transferred right to customer retention and they ask what they can do to keep you. I usually go with the 'we've been subscribers forever and yet new customers get all these freebies and it isn't fair, so I'll go with Cox/Dish/etc to get their freebies'. 60% of the time it works every time.

Made the annual call. Asked for my contract buyout fee, got transferred to customer retention.Free Sunday ticket and Max upgrade.Free genie and mini genie.$15 off for 15 months.$3 off for 12 months.Forgot to ask about the movie channel offer the are currently offering new subscribers. Might call back and see if I can swing that.
According to Neilson ratings agency, they saw an increase of 3.5 million households of "Zero TV" homes in 2012.That is the name they give the category of consumers who watch shows using a tablet (like an iPad) and a streaming service (like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon) and are no longer cable/satellite subscribers.Neilson predicted another 4.3 million households would become "Zero TV" homes in 2014.

DirecTV is far more concerned about the growth in Zero TV homes than they are about losing customers to competitors. Dish and the cable companies are highly concerned as well. 2012 was the first year their industry didn't have a net growth in subscribers.

I cancelled DirecTV a year and a half ago to become a "Zero TV" home ( although I do have an antenna hooked up to a TiVo to DVR a lot of the 25 channels that are broadcast free in my area). DirecTV has been tenacious at trying to get me back. There offers have been quite appealing... But I refuse out of principal.

If you really want to get a great offer from DirecTV, tell them your neighbor got rid of DirecTV and now just pays $8 a month for Netflix and is perfectly happy with it, and you've decided to do the same. They'll be putty in your hands

Last edited by a moderator:
Made the annual call. Asked for my contract buyout fee, got transferred to customer retention.Free Sunday ticket and Max upgrade.Free genie and mini genie.$15 off for 15 months.$3 off for 12 months.Forgot to ask about the movie channel offer the are currently offering new subscribers. Might call back and see if I can swing that.
According to Neilson ratings agency, they saw an increase of 3.5 million households of "Zero TV" homes in 2012.That is the name they give the category of consumers who watch shows using a tablet (like an iPad) and a streaming service (like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon) and are no longer cable/satellite subscribers.Neilson predicted another 4.3 million households would become "Zero TV" homes in 2014.

DirecTV is far more concerned about the growth in Zero TV homes than they are about losing customers to competitors. Dish and the cable companies are highly concerned as well. 2012 was the first year their industry didn't have a net growth in subscribers.

I cancelled DirecTV a year and a half ago to become a "Zero TV" home ( although I do have an antenna hooked up to a TiVo to DVR a lot of the 25 channels that are broadcast free in my area). DirecTV has been tenacious at trying to get me back. There offers have been quite appealing... But I refuse out of principal.

If you really want to get a great offer from DirecTV, tell them your neighbor got rid of DirecTV and now just pays $8 a month for Netflix and is perfectly happy with it, and you've decided to do the same. They'll be putty in your hands
:jackpotposting:. This is the angle I'm gonna go with.

For those in the Houston/SE Texas area, the lack of coverage of Astros and Rockets games is a good line. Not that I would quit DirecTV over it, but they don't know that.

these are my current discounts

DIRECTV Advanced Receiver 24 Mo Credit w/AutoPay + eBill -10.00

DIRECTV XTRA 24 Mo Instant Rebate: Mos 1-12 -29.00
DIRECTV Adv Receiver Cr Ends: 02/2015 -2.00

DIRECTV Primary TV Free -6.00

looks like there is room for them to improve.. ill give them the call today and mention hopper with free ipad 2

You guys may also want to check out this thread:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=602060

Instead of the Sunday Ticket, you could get additional discounts. Granted, they will probably cough up the Ticket for free. Just tell them that you don't watch football, so it would be wasted at your house, but you do like Hockey/movies/PPVs/etc and they may give you something there instead..

I called the other day and they cut my bill in half (97 down to 47 p/m) for 12 months and gave me ST for free. I'm kinda happy I called..

It's about time for my annual call as well...

Quick question guys, is the Genie really that big of an improvement over what's out there now? I ask because the drawback for me is that I would have to be the one to re-program all the remotes, hook it all up, etc. Plus, we'd have to catch up on all of our old shows before we could turn the old one off.

If it's just "woo, new box, new name," then forget it.

It's about time for my annual call as well...

Quick question guys, is the Genie really that big of an improvement over what's out there now? I ask because the drawback for me is that I would have to be the one to re-program all the remotes, hook it all up, etc. Plus, we'd have to catch up on all of our old shows before we could turn the old one off.

If it's just "woo, new box, new name," then forget it.
From what I've read, it's a significant improvement and I'm going to try to get it. You can record 5 programs at once and it holds 1TB of data. Two people can watch the same recorded show in different rooms. It's happened several times that I've tried to watch something on DVR but I couldn't because my wife was watching Dance Moms or some crap in the other room.

So I called and said I wanted to cancel and just use Netflix and Hulu and I don't need DirecTV at all. He offered $45/mo. off our bill because of all the "loyalty points" we've accrued. That is for one year. We have the premium package which includes all the movie channels and Palladia and some other crap, so the discount takes us from $178 to $133. I pretended like I wasn't convinced and asked about if there are any Sunday Ticket discounts. He offered free Sunday Ticket immediately, but just the basic package (no Red Zone). I watch a lot of RZ so asked if I could get free Sunday Ticket Max. Best he would offer is half price Max ($147) spread over 4 payments.

Then I asked if they offer a free iPad 2 like Dish does :lmao: and he went on about how much Dish sucks. Then I asked about the Genie and he said I could have a free one to replace one of our standard receivers. Nice.

Overall not a bad deal but I was hoping for free ST Max. He wouldn't budge on that.

So I called and said I wanted to cancel and just use Netflix and Hulu and I don't need DirecTV at all. He offered $45/mo. off our bill because of all the "loyalty points" we've accrued. That is for one year. We have the premium package which includes all the movie channels and Palladia and some other crap, so the discount takes us from $178 to $133. I pretended like I wasn't convinced and asked about if there are any Sunday Ticket discounts. He offered free Sunday Ticket immediately, but just the basic package (no Red Zone). I watch a lot of RZ so asked if I could get free Sunday Ticket Max. Best he would offer is half price Max ($147) spread over 4 payments.

Then I asked if they offer a free iPad 2 like Dish does :lmao: and he went on about how much Dish sucks. Then I asked about the Genie and he said I could have a free one to replace one of our standard receivers. Nice.

Overall not a bad deal but I was hoping for free ST Max. He wouldn't budge on that.
Why not take the ST Max deal at half price? It would have almost cancelled out 4 months of your $45 discount, but you still would have came out almost $400 ahead for the year.45 x 12 = 540

540 - 147 = 393 savings for the year

Plus a Genie upgrade. Not bad. If they offer the same deal to me I'll jump all over it.

Nice I'm doing this within the next couple days (after I've done all my Dish research). I've been paying the "normal" inflated price for over a year now because I'm too lazy to make the stupid call.

I signed up for Directv a few months ago with the 2 year contract. Does this mean that after my first year is up and lose all my credits I can still call back and negotiate the price?
I signed up in early April 2013 as a new customer. Even if they won't work with me, I plan to call and threaten to eat the early cancel fee (~$240, or $20/month x 12 months left on contract).

Doing this out with numbers, following the Hulu/Netflix example above, let's add the costs of Hulu and Netflix + the cancel fee (Option A) vs. what I'd pay for Xtra, HBO+SHO, HD Extra (Palladia, etc.) and one Genie w/ the discounts I'm at for year 2 (Option B). Option B totals $1,475.76 for 12 months total. Option A totals (for 12 months, including $20/month * 12 months cancel fee) $431.76. Net Savings of option B over option A, for me, is $1,044.00 for year two if I simply tell them to shove it.

I think they'll work with me, would be shocked if I can't at least get some first year discounts put back. If they play into the fear of this cancellation scenario and we can meet in the middle, we all win because I do like the service.

Definitely giving this a shot next spring.

Why not take the ST Max deal at half price? It would have almost cancelled out 4 months of your $45 discount, but you still would have came out almost $400 ahead for the year.45 x 12 = 540

540 - 147 = 393 savings for the year

Plus a Genie upgrade. Not bad. If they offer the same deal to me I'll jump all over it.
I actually did take the ST Max for the $147. I considered hanging up and calling back to try to get it for free, but overall I'm happy with the deal.

What I always find hilarious about these interactions is that I start by saying the bill is too high, I rarely watch TV anymore and I'm moving to some other low-rent option. As the call progresses, I opt to keep every premium channel they have and say I must have Sunday Ticket (which is exclusive to DirecTV). Clearly I'm full of crap and just trying to chisel them out of more discounts, and they know it. Reminds me of a woman saying "I really shouldn't, I hardly know you" as she unhooks her bra.

I got the genie for free not that long ago but have no idea what the genie mini is? this new?
Goes in the rooms that would have a "standard" receiver and can use the DVR functions of a genie. I would think you would have to already subscribe to the whole home DVR service to use it. Can access the HD on the genie but doesn't actually record anything itself if I understood it correctly when it was explained to me.

Just got off the phone with DirecTv. I got the Sunday Ticket max for free.

The agent (Chris) told me at the very beginning, after I mentioned that I wasn't getting what I wanted, that "there are good agents and then there are really good agents so give him a second and let him see what he can do. If you don't get what you want keep trying", lol!

This was the 3rd time I had called over the weekend so he already knew the previous offers.

I have the Verizon Triple play package with Directv. My monthly bill comes directly from Verizon (I don't pay anything directly to Directv). Should I be calling Verizon or Directv to negotiate an upgrade?

I signed up for Directv a few months ago with the 2 year contract. Does this mean that after my first year is up and lose all my credits I can still call back and negotiate the price?
I'm in the same boat and I'm going to call this week and see what they say. I'm planning on using the Netflix angle as well as the fact that they've already charged me this month for part of the Sunday Ticket, which I probably already authorized, but wasn't aware of.

I'm in the same boat and I'm going to call this week and see what they say. I'm planning on using the Netflix angle as well as the fact that they've already charged me this month for part of the Sunday Ticket, which I probably already authorized, but wasn't aware of.
Call and act really annoyed that they've charged you already and you feel it's way too expensive.

I made my annual call. I have lots of winnings to report back to you guys. So I call and tell them I'd like to cancel my service. Guy asks why I tell him it's to expensive he says I can give you a break on the bill I say no thanks and ask to be transferred to customer retention department. I wait about 7 minutes on hold. Dude answers (Alex) I'm very polite and start explaining that me and my wife don't use the service as much to justify the 150.00 a month we are paying. He apologizes and says it seems you have been with us for 3 years I say yes I love Directv, but every time the bill comes in me and the wife get in an argument. I then go o. To say how we use Netflix/amazon and a Roku box to stream everything so Directv isn't really needed. He immediately says I can lower your bill to 90 dollars a month. I play cool and say wow that's great, but the only reason I have directv is because of the Sunday ticket he says I can throw that in for free. I then kindly say sir I'm going to need the premium package Sunday ticket max. He says ok. Then I ask how long the 90 dollar bill will last he says 12 months I say does that include this months bill? He says yes so it will be 13 months of 60 dollars off my bill per mo th plus Sunday ticket max for free. I did have to sign a year contract, but hey for 1,000 dollars in savings over the year I'll take it. Good luck it looks like that "zero tv" route is the way to go.

Just tried. Real happy!

Signed up April 2012.. Bill was 64.00 year two it jumped to 122.00, I called April 2013 got it down to 97.00 (HDTV DVR in living room) and two small bedroom Hd boxes)

After reading today I called, mentioned Netflix and Hulu wife wants to survive on that. Guy transfers me says dont forget to mention that and tell them to make you happy. He transfers me and she immediately offers me 20.00 off a month so down to $74.00 I then mentioned that's great but netflix is still so much cheaper would I be able to get NFL ST he said sure, I go awesome that's with Redzone?? She said aww I guess I can give you Redzone too.

Pumped. Ill be able to watch during Bills away games

Just called, been with them 13 months:

$15/month discount for 12 months

$10/month discount for 12 months

Free Showtime and Starz for 3 months

Free Sunday Ticket Max

Couldn't get the Genie upgrade yet

Users who are viewing this thread