What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (3 Viewers)

Figured I'd put this here. Got an offer in the mail today to go back to DTV. It comes woth a $300 prepaid visa reward card, genie HD DVR, and the movie channels for 3 months. You have to sign a 2 year agreement though. Offer ends 12/31/17.

Eta: you can add the Sunday ticket for next year and the rest of this year for free with the middle and higher tier packages.

855-272-0914, offer code: WBK11

https://i.imgur.com/9pqN1BA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/th7HDfs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded all my equipment last month (my old DVR was 6+ years old).  I called Customer Service and they wanted to charge me $400 for the new Genie 2.  I was so mad at them that the CS rep actually hung up.  Knowing what I know from this thread, I called to cancel and immediately got into Customer retention.  He noted my 20 years with DirecTV and gave me the new G2 and 4 mini Genies for free.  2 year contract.

The rep was a funny, chatty guy so I expressed my concern about being able to negotiate a Sunday Ticket discount and asked him how to best approach it.  He indicated that you should always wait until just two weeks before the season starts, get to the loyalty department and they always have deals - though they change from day-to-day.

Dropped DTV for Fios a few months back and I dont miss DTV one little bit. I can still watch every NFL game/Red Zone on my TV via reddit, and Fios is just a much better product overall. I have zero remote lag, zero issues when the weather acts up, and there seems to be way more content (on demand, etc).

Ill never go back to DTV.

In case you missed it:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/19/directv-raises-price-for-nfl-sunday-ticket/

$293.94   :jawdrop: :no: :wall: :hot:

$395.95 if you want the RZ too.

Lot's of folks will be calling in for that discount.
That's just utter nonsense.  

They raise the list price every year.  And every year I'll make my annual call and end up being paid to get Sunday Ticket.  Do I care that they keep the list price on my bill and reduce the net amount through credits?  Absolutely not.  

If they think they're fooling the Street by doing things that way, good on 'em.  Of course there are probably some people paying list and never even thinking they could pay less. 

Non-event

Dropped DTV for Fios a few months back and I dont miss DTV one little bit. I can still watch every NFL game/Red Zone on my TV via reddit, and Fios is just a much better product overall. I have zero remote lag, zero issues when the weather acts up, and there seems to be way more content (on demand, etc).

How do you see every game?

How do you see every game?
NFL streams on Reddit. On game day I click a game thread, and pick a stream. Then I cast from my laptop to TV. 

It works for all sports, including PPVs. Sometimes you have to click 3 or 4 streams to get a good one, but there's always high quality streams. Always.

Arrrrrr, matey!

NFL streams on Reddit. On game day I click a game thread, and pick a stream. Then I cast from my laptop to TV. 

It works for all sports, including PPVs. Sometimes you have to click 3 or 4 streams to get a good one, but there's always high quality streams. Always.

Arrrrrr, matey!
:goodposting:  

I'm no longer spoofing IP addresses to get the discount rate.  It's free!!

Not a fan of the new menu system. Too cluttered and hard to see your recorded shows easily. :thumbdown:
This really is the suck.  It's unusable.  What nimrod thought gray on gray was a readable thing?  And finding anything is almost impossible.  

I called to add HBO and I can't until the promotion expires.  Then I have to call in again.  That's just nuts.

My DVR died and they overnighted a new one to me for free. Also bill just went up again on DTV and Internet.  I am slowly working on cutting the cord so I didn't want to play the game of cancelling and trying or getting into a long contract.

I have the antenna/Amazon FireTV/Netflix all ready.  Need to run some coax cable for the antenna to get all the tvs (wife likes a local morning news show thats not yet on any streaming.  KTLA 5). So my plan was to cut my service down from Premier to one of the lower ones as I figure out what streaming service works best (Sling, DTV Now, etc).  Also needed to adjust the internet speed since i had the 18 mbps package and will need more for streaming.

Called to activate my new box and had them switch me to retention just to see whats up.

They upgraded me to 45 mbps for $30/mo and it stays there as long as I have DTV.  Was paying $44 (which just went up to $57) for 18 mbps.

They also gave me $60 off my DTV package for 1 year.  The new price is basically what I would have been at if I reduced my package to the xtra or other similar package, but now I get to keep all the movie channels.

No contract.

I am ok with this for now while I get the cord cut....

I'm ready to start looking just based on this. Switching to local stations there's a 20 second period of just a black screen and using fast forward and rewind when using the DVR is always an adventure. There's no telling when or if a button will actually take.

I'm ready to start looking just based on this. Switching to local stations there's a 20 second period of just a black screen and using fast forward and rewind when using the DVR is always an adventure. There's no telling when or if a button will actually take.
I mean, its 2018. Theres no reason for that kind of lag, its ridiculous. Im still 100% satisfied with Fios.

Where are you? I don't get any of that. :shrug:

My DVR died and they overnighted a new one to me for free. Also bill just went up again on DTV and Internet.  I am slowly working on cutting the cord so I didn't want to play the game of cancelling and trying or getting into a long contract.

I have the antenna/Amazon FireTV/Netflix all ready.  Need to run some coax cable for the antenna to get all the tvs (wife likes a local morning news show thats not yet on any streaming.  KTLA 5). So my plan was to cut my service down from Premier to one of the lower ones as I figure out what streaming service works best (Sling, DTV Now, etc).  Also needed to adjust the internet speed since i had the 18 mbps package and will need more for streaming.

Called to activate my new box and had them switch me to retention just to see whats up.

They upgraded me to 45 mbps for $30/mo and it stays there as long as I have DTV.  Was paying $44 (which just went up to $57) for 18 mbps.

They also gave me $60 off my DTV package for 1 year.  The new price is basically what I would have been at if I reduced my package to the xtra or other similar package, but now I get to keep all the movie channels.

No contract.

I am ok with this for now while I get the cord cut....
This is your internet provider, not DirecTV

Southern NJ here, so not so far that I would think location would make that big a difference. Equipment maybe? No FIOS available for me, so I'm stuck with either DirecTV, Dish or Comcast. They're all pretty comparable to me and within a couple of $$ price wise too. Including the cord cutting options (Sling, etc) when figuring in the channels and functionality that I'd want.

I mean, its 2018. Theres no reason for that kind of lag, its ridiculous. Im still 100% satisfied with Fios.
Speaking of 2018, I think it's Bush league that you have to negotiate to not be charged for HD.

I mean, come on. The local podunk stations here ONLY broadcast in HD. So you're charging me extra for the antenna default format. 

The font on the new menu is really small and the white and grey menu grid is hard to read.  A lot of complaints online about it, but it doesn't look like you can change the menu back to the original.   

I like the colors. I don't like how your DVR list displays with the selection larger. Biggest dislike is you can't pick a specific channel to record a series on. Only option is all channels. Dumb. At first the FF and play to avoid commercials timing was off so you always had to rewind. Seems better now.

I feel like I've experienced more "choppiness" or "pixelation" (not the best words, but not sure how else to describe it) since the new menu rolled out.  Anyone else?

I have this at an increasing rate.  It's driving me crazy.  I was thinking it is my box since it wasn't updated to the new display like the other two boxes in my house.  But if others are having this as well, is there an explantion.  Without fail, I hit "206" to go to ESPN, then nothing happens.  I wait.  I wait.  Then I hit 206 again and finally it tries to go to channel 206206 and fails so nothing happens.  Makes me want to throw my remote through the TV.

I finally had enough and cancelled for good this past Saturday. Retention rep offered $45/mo off to stay, but otherwise didn't push it, no hard sell to stick around. No phone calls afterward begging me to come back.  I'm sick of the yearly "threaten to cancel" game. And we just don't watch that many cable channels anyway, the vast majority of what we watch these days is on broadcast TV or Netflix. 

I have this at an increasing rate.  It's driving me crazy.  I was thinking it is my box since it wasn't updated to the new display like the other two boxes in my house.  But if others are having this as well, is there an explantion.  Without fail, I hit "206" to go to ESPN, then nothing happens.  I wait.  I wait.  Then I hit 206 again and finally it tries to go to channel 206206 and fails so nothing happens.  Makes me want to throw my remote through the TV.
And I thought it was just my remote !    once my promos are up in Oct, I am out. This change was the worst decision they made.

I finally had enough and cancelled for good this past Saturday. Retention rep offered $45/mo off to stay, but otherwise didn't push it, no hard sell to stick around. No phone calls afterward begging me to come back.  I'm sick of the yearly "threaten to cancel" game. And we just don't watch that many cable channels anyway, the vast majority of what we watch these days is on broadcast TV or Netflix. 
I CAN'T WAIT to cancel for good. 

Bull Dozier said:
Having the same problem and cancelled my service today.  The rentention rep said I wasn't under contract from last summer's "threaten to cancel for Red Zone" yearly call.  Good riddance.  

As an added bonus my wife will stop being pissed that I spend every Sunday all Fall long watching Red Zone.

When does DirecTV typically start giving out discounts on baseball packages?  I've never subscribed but would like to watch my team.  Do they do individual team or maybe division packages?  I don't need access to the entire league.  Thanks.

Tiger Fan said:
I feel like I've experienced more "choppiness" or "pixelation" (not the best words, but not sure how else to describe it) since the new menu rolled out.  Anyone else?
YES!  What the mother ####.

Why is anyone still paying for cable?

The only way to improve it is if you stop paying for it. Does anyone watch more than 5% of the channels they are charging you for?

DreamTheater said:
And I thought it was just my remote !    once my promos are up in Oct, I am out. This change was the worst decision they made.
I had them send me another remote and the issue still exists.

Having the same problem and cancelled my service today.  The rentention rep said I wasn't under contract from last summer's "threaten to cancel for Red Zone" yearly call.  Good riddance.  

As an added bonus my wife will stop being pissed that I spend every Sunday all Fall long watching Red Zone.

DreamTheater said:
I'm reminded that I bought a new TV for Christmas because I thought my TV was the issue as it kept going black, I thought it was turning off.  Bought a new TV, moved it to the video game room where I set it up for two TVs.  Then I discovered that otherwise perfectly good TV has lag while playing video games, so I had to buy another new one.  Thanks Obama!  I mean, thanks DirecTV!

I'd switch to Xfinity, but they keep screwing up my account where I only have internet with them (the latest is that a Xfinity cable box just showed up in my mail yesterday, even though I haven't requested TV service), so I'm scared that switching to them isn't going to go exactly seamless.

Bull Dozier said:
that's whats going on huh?  I thought it was just me.   My screen looks the same so I was assuming I didn't get an update.

I have discounts already but I may call anyways and see what they throw at me

It's almost time to make the yearly call.  The past year and a half my bill was between $45-60 with all sorts of credits on it for the Choice Extra package (3 TVs).  Now it's $105 and another $40 in credits falls off after next month to bring my bill to $145.  Always let all the credits wear off before you call.  At least in the past it's how I had most success at getting Sunday Ticket Max and the $200 GC. The yearly struggle begins next month!

It's almost time to make the yearly call.  The past year and a half my bill was between $45-60 with all sorts of credits on it for the Choice Extra package (3 TVs).  Now it's $105 and another $40 in credits falls off after next month to bring my bill to $145.  Always let all the credits wear off before you call.  At least in the past it's how I had most success at getting Sunday Ticket Max and the $200 GC. The yearly struggle begins next month!
Ugh.  Thx for reminding me.  I just removed Sunday ticket from my account so I don't get automatically charged for it

Ugh.  Thx for reminding me.  I just removed Sunday ticket from my account so I don't get automatically charged for it
getting ready to make the call again and dreading it....for years I was able to get on a 2 year cycle where we got the ticket for free the first year and then half off the next year.....this required finding a local guy every two years and switching our account "name" between my wife and I....also using her her maiden name once, etc....but now they can connect those dots and it is not as easy...LOVE having the Sunday ticket, but now wife is used to it not costing at all or at least not as much with half off, so I have to negotiate however I can so the bill isn't more than what it would be at half price...she is firm in her belief that if they don't give it to us for that, we won't get it.....so I just hope to get the right rep on the line and I just let them know up front that I need our service + the Ticket for $X amount of dollars for 6 months and then back down to $Y amount of dollars for 6 months....we are usually able to get to that point but it takes some work and negotiating....last year it also took two excruciating call backs because what ended up on our bill is not what I agreed to with the person on the phone....total nightmare.....but worth it once Sunday mornings came around....

getting ready to make the call again and dreading it....for years I was able to get on a 2 year cycle where we got the ticket for free the first year and then half off the next year.....this required finding a local guy every two years and switching our account "name" between my wife and I....also using her her maiden name once, etc....but now they can connect those dots and it is not as easy...LOVE having the Sunday ticket, but now wife is used to it not costing at all or at least not as much with half off, so I have to negotiate however I can so the bill isn't more than what it would be at half price...she is firm in her belief that if they don't give it to us for that, we won't get it.....so I just hope to get the right rep on the line and I just let them know up front that I need our service + the Ticket for $X amount of dollars for 6 months and then back down to $Y amount of dollars for 6 months....we are usually able to get to that point but it takes some work and negotiating....last year it also took two excruciating call backs because what ended up on our bill is not what I agreed to with the person on the phone....total nightmare.....but worth it once Sunday mornings came around....
I just made sure they won't auto renew me with ST. I confirmed I have two bigger credits falling off 1 week after my next statement.  They told me to call back 1 week after the statement comes out, As deals update then.  I confirmed if I could call "866-284-2816" the win-back number, I only said it's the number that's called before.  Normally I don't even wait.  I put in a cancelation date and call that number and say I got a voicemail saying you'd like me back?  They said I can call that number or 866-444-2168.  Will update July 1st and see what offers I can get.

Weird. I just checked my account to turn off Sunday Ticket auto-renew and it looks like they are already giving me the basic Sunday Ticket package for free this year. I would only need to upgrade to Sunday Ticket MAX for $109. Anyone else seeing this?

Weird. I just checked my account to turn off Sunday Ticket auto-renew and it looks like they are already giving me the basic Sunday Ticket package for free this year. I would only need to upgrade to Sunday Ticket MAX for $109. Anyone else seeing this?
I'm seeing the same thing on mine.  NFL SUNDAY TICKET 2018 $0.00.  

Users who are viewing this thread