What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme? (2 Viewers)

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme?

• Yes

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 65.6%

• Total voters
I think people are misunderstanding the issue. It's not that we don't know how to make the right shape with our mouths, or don't understand the different sound you're making. It's that you're making the wrong sound when you say these words. Training people to speak worse English seems counterproductive at best.

I think people are misunderstanding the issue. It's not that we don't know how to make the right shape with our mouths, or don't understand the different sound you're making. It's that you're making the wrong sound when you say these words. Training people to speak worse English seems counterproductive at best.
some people (apparently) can't even hear the difference.lol at worse.

Do you have a link to a source that explains the proper sound we should be making when we say "dawn"?

it's not a Philly thing. It's the world vs California (and Fred)
And the entire Midwest.
:confused: the midwest and east pronounces them differently than they do out west. that's the whole point here.
I may be way wrong here, but from what I have heard in my lifetime, people from the east coast, mostly northeast, definitely pronounce them differently. The midwest pronounce them exactly the same and think that I am crazy to think there is a difference.We need a poll by region.

It's that you're making the wrong sound when you say these words.
Absolutely untrue. Dialectical differences aren't "wrong".
Training people to speak worse English seems counterproductive at best.
... it's not a matter of training to speak "better" or "worse". It's training someone in a dialectical difference -- for example, all the non-American actors in True Blood.The exercise I posted was not meant to convert anyone -- it was meant to help make clear what, physiologically, the difference in the "Dawn/Don" vowels are in the dialects that distinguish the two.

Do you have a link to a source that explains the proper sound we should be making when we say "dawn"?
You can train yourself to say the word dawn properly with this exercise. First, start by saying the word don. Try different versions. Don Johnson. Don Vito Corleone. Don Mattingly. Don of the dead. Wait, that's supposed to be dawn of the dead. But it's ok, because they're pronounced exactly the same.

I'm from Minnesota, but luckily avoided the dreaded Minnesota accent (at least with most words) and the dialect tester thing from earlier in the thread said I was from the West.

I started this thread believing with everything I have that they were pronounced the same. It really threw me for a loop when I saw I was on the losing end of this poll.

After reading what everybody is saying here, and thinking about this all night last night and all morning (seriously) I think that maybe I can see how they are pronounced differently to some people, but I just don't hear it.

I've been practicing, and now when I say it I can hear a slight difference between Don and Dawn, but I have to talk really slowly and really listen.

So I guess my answer is that this is all really stupid.

I thought the question was whether the two words rhyme or not. Not how we form our mouths, or if the sounds are exactly the same or not, or how they are spelled.

They can be used in rhyme because they are similar enough to be used in that way. Even if you pronounce them differently, imo.

So "yes" is the clear, correct answer here.

You can train yourself to say the word dawn properly with this exercise. First, start by saying the word don. Try different versions. Don Johnson. Don Vito Corleone. Don Mattingly. Don of the dead. Wait, that's supposed to be dawn of the dead. But it's ok, because they're pronounced exactly the same.
I figured you didn't, but I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. You've disappointed me, BostonFred.

Again, I think people are misunderstanding the issue. When I hear someone say lawn incorrectly (so it sounds more like Lindsay Lohan and less like Lon) I hear the difference. I just know that their accent is making the word sound incorrect. It's no different from hearing a Canadian say 'eh' at the end of a sentence or hearing a southern drawl elongate a word.

The "listen to the recorded voice on teh innernets" people are tilting the piss out of me right now.

The IPAs from dictionary.com

don1    /dɒn; Sp., It. dɔn/

dawn   /dɔn/

/ɔ/ all, or, talk, lost, saw

/ɒ/ odd, hot, waffle

The International Phonetic Alphabet

So the answer is "they can but don't have to."

Again, I think people are misunderstanding the issue. When I hear someone say lawn incorrectly (so it sounds more like Lindsay Lohan and less like Lon) I hear the difference. I just know that their accent is making the word sound incorrect. It's no different from hearing a Canadian say 'eh' at the end of a sentence or hearing a southern drawl elongate a word.
Lawn = Lohan? that's awful. who talks like this?you keep making these ridiculous analogies. they aren't helping your point.

:popcorn: :wacko:

It's to hearing what being color blind is to sight. They apparently honestly cannot hear the difference. :popcorn:
This is normal, though. Without training, few Americans can distinguish the paired voiceless consonants (aspirate vs non-aspirate) of Thai, for example.
Fascinating. I get that people pronounce words differently based on region, but I'm amazed that even if you say the words differently, some will hear them the same. I wonder which words I hear the same when they're actually pronounced differently. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
What if this causes us to pronounce all the words incorrectly? At least using the two different sounds assures we get it right half the time.

Apparently it does in Minneapolis. People are stupid here.

Although I saw words like boughten and I pronounce idea like idear, so what the hell am I to complain.
I am not sure why but hearing this pronunciation has always been like fingernails on a chalk board for me.How the hell does one add an "r" to idea? Seriously where the heck did that come from?

I thought the question was whether the two words rhyme or not. Not how we form our mouths, or if the sounds are exactly the same or not, or how they are spelled.

They can be used in rhyme because they are similar enough to be used in that way. Even if you pronounce them differently, imo.

So "yes" is the clear, correct answer here.
No, they are 'near-rhymes' or 'false rhymes' which are still often used in songs but don't actually rhyme.
Neither pronunciation scheme is correct or incorrect -- they are merely dialectical variants.More info here.
No, there is a correct way. You pronounce them differently so you can tell the difference. Thus my sister Dawn should never be confused with my brother Don.

This kind of reminds me of when Phoebe was trying to teach Joey French. :headbang:

who says doe-uhn? that sounds made up. I don't think many people in here pronounce it like that.there is a better/normal way to pronounce dawn that is still very distinct from don.one has an "aww" in the middle. one doesn't. I'm assuming the west coast people (and Fred apparently) just ignore the w.
Wait. Is there a third pronunciation where dawn is distinct from don and yet does not sound like doe-uhn? Say doe-uhn real quickly - merge them from two syllables into a syllable and a half. If this sounds nothing like how you pronounce dawn to you, then I'm intrigued.
I've never heard anyone pronounce Dawn as "don" or as "doe-uhn". It's not 1.5 syllables, it's just 1 syllable. But it's a different vowel sound than don.
I'm trying to describe the vowel sound your "aw" makes. It's hard to do without hearing them. The best description I can give besides o-uh is that it sounds like the throat clearing sound the dude makes in that Disturbed song when he does that oo wah-ah-ah-ah.... aw. aw. aw. aw. oo-wah-ah-ah-ah. And note that I'm distinguishing between aw and ah in the above, because I'm describing your version of "aw".
Do you pronounce "gown" and "gone" the same?
Now you're just being ridiculous here. Gone rhymes with dawn and gown rhymes with down.

Users who are viewing this thread