What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Boardwalk Empire thread (1 Viewer)

So Jimmy is nuckys son right?
That's what they're hinting at I suppose.
:excited:I'm an idiot. I missed all those signs but now it seems obvious. Is Jimmy based on a historic figure, a compilation of people, or is he totally fictional?
I can't find anything about Jimmy being completely fictional or not.
Jimmy is based off of jimmy boyd - but in real life is not related to nucky that I can find
Good find.

So Jimmy is nuckys son right?
That's what they're hinting at I suppose.
:bag:I'm an idiot. I missed all those signs but now it seems obvious. Is Jimmy based on a historic figure, a compilation of people, or is he totally fictional?
I thought Jimmy is Nucky's nephew.
I don't know, but I didn't catch the feeling he was related in the scene where the sheriff briefly handled his gun. Don't see that going down that way between blood relations.

Jimmy is based off of jimmy boyd - but in real life is not related to nucky that I can find
Interesting...can't find anything on Wiki though. Was he a future politician?I also get this sneaky feeling that Nucky and the fortune teller are not good friends.

Interesting...can't find anything on Wiki though. Was he a future politician?
Only reference I found was of a 'right hand man of Nucky' named Jimmy Boyd, whose wife (must have been 90 years old) helped the author of the book Boardwalk Empire learn about that era in AC.

Interesting...can't find anything on Wiki though. Was he a future politician?
Only reference I found was of a 'right hand man of Nucky' named Jimmy Boyd, whose wife (must have been 90 years old) helped the author of the book Boardwalk Empire learn about that era in AC.
That's what I found and think , also

My main problem with the show so far (other than it drags) is that when I see Nucky I see....Steve Buschemi. For some reason I just can't separate the two. Must be the Sopranos thing, or just that he has such a distinctive, disgusting face. Either way I just see Steve Buschemi playing Steve Buschemi.

Last edited by a moderator:
My main problem with the show so far (other than it drags) is that when I see Nucky I see....Steve Buschemi. For some reason I just can't separate the two. Must be the Sopranos thing, or just that he has such a distinctive, disgusting face. Either way I just see Steve Buschemi playing Steve Buschemi.
It's called Tommy Lee Jones disease. Doesn't matter what part he plays he's just playing Tommy.

So Van Alden has the dying fat guy in the dentist chair, and gets him to name Jimmy as one of the shooters. The very next scene Rothstein is playing cards in NYC and tells Lucky that his SIL's nephew survived the shooting and he has good knowledge that Darmody was one of the shooters. Then Nucky calls for Jimmy and Nucky knows the guy is dead and that he fingered Jimmy. Who's passing along this info if only Van Alden knows it? There has to be a mole somewhere.

I agree. And I just can't picture Buschemi as a Tony Soprano-type kingpin.

It's called Tommy Lee Jones disease. Doesn't matter what part he plays he's just playing Tommy.
I was actually thinking that it's nice to see him playing someone who isn't creepy or weaselly or 'wacky'.

So Van Alden has the dying fat guy in the dentist chair, and gets him to name Jimmy as one of the shooters. The very next scene Rothstein is playing cards in NYC and tells Lucky that his SIL's nephew survived the shooting and he has good knowledge that Darmody was one of the shooters. Then Nucky calls for Jimmy and Nucky knows the guy is dead and that he fingered Jimmy. Who's passing along this info if only Van Alden knows it? There has to be a mole somewhere.
Van Alden had one of his agents with him. And if it was discussed back at HQ, then it could be anyone.
The dentist and the mother were in the room when the fat guy mentioned Jimmy's name. After the fat guy died, cops entered the room (in same uniform as AC Sheriff). I'm guessing the dentist told the cops what the fat guy said, they told Nucky's brother, who told Nucky.

Van Alden had one of his agents with him. And if it was discussed back at HQ, then it could be anyone.
The dentist and the mother were in the room when the fat guy mentioned Jimmy's name. After the fat guy died, cops entered the room (in same uniform as AC Sheriff). I'm guessing the dentist told the cops what the fat guy said, they told Nucky's brother, who told Nucky.
They weren't questioning how Nucky knew but how the NY Mob already found out.

They weren't questioning how Nucky knew but how the NY Mob already found out.
NYC Mob has someone on the inside of Nucky's operation in Atlantic City :tinfoilhat:

Enjoying the development of Al - more & more time on him is a good thing.

Looks like he's a big fan of the kick beating.

I agree. And I just can't picture Buschemi as a Tony Soprano-type kingpin.
I'm only 2 episodes in and am hoping for more. A little too slow. I love Buschemi but he just doesn't seem right for this role.I'll stick with it though.

They really have to up the pace. The show is brilliant otherwise.
How? More action? I think the pacing is perfect.
:shrug: This show could be really good. Though I think they're being a bit heavy handed/obvious in their treatment of the Buschemi/McDonald relationship.I also don't get how the chick who is supposed to be Jimmy's mother could actually be his mother - did she have him when she was 13 or something?

Gr00vus said:
They really have to up the pace. The show is brilliant otherwise.
How? More action? I think the pacing is perfect.
:thumbup: This show could be really good. Though I think they're being a bit heavy handed/obvious in their treatment of the Buschemi/McDonald relationship.I also don't get how the chick who is supposed to be Jimmy's mother could actually be his mother - did she have him when she was 13 or something?
15.I think the opposite, that they've been great in taking it slow with Buschemi/McDonald, showing why he would like her and planting the seeds of a relationship rather than just jumping into one. And it led to a few great scenes in this episode.

Am I wrong or did that Paz chick keep her clothes on last night?

I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed.

I have a new nickname for this acquaintance I know based on last nights episode....

Cyclops. He isn't exactly a bastion of good character.

Nice to see "Omar" get mid evil.

I think the opposite, that they've been great in taking it slow with Buschemi/McDonald, showing why he would like her and planting the seeds of a relationship rather than just jumping into one. And it led to a few great scenes in this episode.
I guess those scenes seemed heavy handed to me. I get the relationship, I just would like to see it handled a bit more subtly. I will say that, though at first I didn't like/get the final scene with MacDonald, on thinking about it more I like it quite a bit. I'd like to see it handled more like that, less the obvious everyone noticing them dancing for 5 minutes/longingly looking at her standing on the balcony behind his current bimbo popping out of the birthday cake scenes.Chalky is shaping up to be a great character.

Omar with another iconic character to add to his resume

Gotta say that hooker who was with Jimmy is not just t and a she really could act

I thought this was the best episode so far. The others had a little bit of a dragging feeling to them, like I kept waiting for something else to happen. This time I couldn't believe that it had already been an hour once it was over. Liked the development of Chalky, Al, Jimmy and Margaret.

Was there a real Chalky White?I guess I'd like to know just how true this series is.
Nucky in real life was know to give the blacks and other "low class" of that time period chances to make money but would take big cuts. he said that the poor vote counted just as much as the rich so he appeared to have the poor at heart. And I think he partially did care but overall it was for his own financial and political gain.If a "leader" exisited like Chalky, I don't know, but he did deal with Chalky "types" for their group.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the deal with Al blowing out Jimmy's ear drum and then just acting like it was a joke. How would that fly in real life? Like me kicking my friend in the nuts, him pissing blood for a week and being cool about it b/c I was just joking.

Users who are viewing this thread