What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Strength of Victory Calculation help (1 Viewer)

gyoung345

Footballguy
Our league ended this week with the playoffs starting next week.

We have two teams that are tied at 7-6. We use the NFL official tiebreaker rules for all ties.

Going through the list (located at http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures)

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

Team #1 vs. Team #2 (1-1) split the season series.

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Both were 4-4 in the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

They all played the same teams the same number of times (8 in division, both 4-4 and 5 out of the division, both 3-2.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

This is the same since both were 4-4 in the division and 3-2 against the other division. Plus conference doesn't apply to us.

5. Strength of victory.

I need help with this calculation.

Team #1 had wins against

5-8 team

7-6 team

7-6 team

9-4 team

4-9 team

8-5 team

5-8 team

This one is easy. All wins came against 7 different teams. Combined record of 45-46 or a SOV of 45/91 = 49.451%

Team #2 had wins against

5-8 team

7-6 team

5-8 team

8-5 team

8-5 team (2x)

5-8 team

This is the one I am not sure of. Using the same method as above the combined record is 38-40 or a SOV of 38/78 = 48.718%

My confusion is with 2 wins against the same team. Do I count it twice? It seems like Team #2 is not getting credit for beating the 8-5 team twice.

If so it then the numbers would go to

5-8 team

7-6 team

5-8 team

8-5 team

8-5 team (2x 8-5 team)

5-8 team

Combined record of 46-45 or a SOV of 46/91 = 50.549%

As you can see changing the calculation changes who gets in and who doesn't. Thanks for any help.

You would count the 8-5 team twice if he beat that team both times. It is for each victory, not each team, therefore the same team could be counted more than once.

Users who are viewing this thread