What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What I'd Look For In A Team If I Were A Prospective Head Coach: (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
It's time for the new coach shuffle. If I'm a prospective head coach, here's how I'd rate the Attractiveness Factor of a team:

1. Quarterback
2. Ownership
3. GM
4. Division
5. Offensive weapons
6. Offensive line
7. Defensive line
8. Defensive Secondary

What would be yours?

I might flip flop quarterback and ownership.
I'd want an owner(s) who let me run the on the field football side while management took care of day to day business.
I can find my quarterback if I know I have full backing and autonomy from ownership.
Unqualified meddling owners can destroy a franchise for years,as we have seen.

Ownership and then there is everything else.

Partly because a patient owner who provides ample resources will enable you to address most of the items on that list and secondly because the ownership is the one constant.

I might flip flop quarterback and ownership.
I'd want an owner(s) who let me run the on the field football side while management took care of day to day business.
I can find my quarterback if I know I have full backing and autonomy from ownership.
Unqualified meddling owners can destroy a franchise for years,as we have seen.

100%...QBs and GMs can be replaced...an Owner can't...biggest/most important decision of BB's career was made when he spurned the Jets for the Pats and it was because of better ownership.

1) Starts with ownership. If a team fired their coach then there is something wrong with the team. How much "time" do I have to right the ship before he starts questioning my plan. How involved is he in my day to day or the GMs day to day. Is he going to want to make decisions more so than hiring me and the GM and getting out of the way.
2) The GM/ Scouting / Cap / Draft capital. Is the GM someone I can work with, or is he next on the chopping block so this is less of a rebuild than a band aid production to keep his job? Do we have what we need to retool? Or are these the ingredients we have and I need to make dinner with this?
3) The QB / O Line. How good one is matters to how successful the other one can be. I could have nothing at QB but if I have a decent O Line I can play this out with the Minshews and Mayfields of the world until we get the QB we need. If we have a great QB how well is he able to overcome the deficiencies on the O line and be productive. (fixing the interior of an O line is one of the easier things to do. Tackles are a bit harder)
4) What does the other side of the ball look like? If I'm a defensive guy how much do I need to get involved with the offense and visa versa. Am I "inheriting" staff on that side of the ball or bringing in my own people.
5) HOW MUCH AM I GETTING PAID (and how much am I getting to put together a staff): Depending on the first 4 answers, the 5th answer needs to be adjusted accordingly. If I am going to Carolina where these top 4 questions are all bad, I'm going to want big money up front if I am a "name or hot" coach. If I am going to the Chargers, 1, 3, and 4 shouldn't be too bad but 2 isn't great, Bob. If the Bills part ways with their coach after the season (theoretically) then the top 4 are in pretty good shape so give me a decent amount of money for me and the guys I bring in and we can hit the ground running.

Buddy of mine has a brother who's worked at some pretty high-level jobs on the business side of sports franchises (Dolphins, Redskins, I think Phoenix Coyotes). My friend would tell me stories about all the dysfunction his brother experienced with different owners. Stephen Ross was bad, but Snyder was at a different level. He also said that when he realized he had to get out of DC, he called up Jeff Pash at the league office and Pash told him exactly what to say to negotiate his buyout package from Snyder.

After that, he had an offer to go work for the Mets, but turned it down because he was concerned about working for Stephen Cohen. Ended up at Tottenham (no idea what their owners are like).

All of which is to say, the fish rots from the head down. Owner is at the top of the list and it's not close.

In fact, I'd say that's true for any job. If the leadership of your organization is bad, it will eventually trickle down to you

Others have voiced it, but I think it's an entire package with the owner/GM dynamic probably being the most important. Does the owner want to hire football guys and stay hands off or does he want to be the GM and have the last word on player acquisitions/cuts and other things like that?

So I guess it's really owner. We've seen guys in baseball (like Steinbrenner) and football (Haslam once upon a time, now Tepper) absolutely kneecap their operations by getting involved in GM decisions.

Agree with everyone who says ownership/management is at the top of the list. It's like buying a house - location location location. You can gut the place and rebuild it but you can't pick it up and move it to a different lot. You can always draft a new QB. You can't draft a new boss.

1. Ownership
2. GM
3. QB
4. Draft capital
5. Cap-space for the next three to five years
6. desirable FA location (income taxes, weather, etc.)
7. high-quality facilities
8. OL
9. Pass rushers
10. secondary
11. receivers
12. culture
13. non-roster budget
14. fan base
15. other roster spots
16. reasonable expectations
17. division

It's time for the new coach shuffle. If I'm a prospective head coach, here's how I'd rate the Attractiveness Factor of a team:

1. Quarterback
2. Ownership
3. GM
4. Division
5. Offensive weapons
6. Offensive line
7. Defensive line
8. Defensive Secondary

What would be yours?

1. Ownership
2. GM/Scouting
3. Facilities
4. City
5. Draft/Cap resources

Rest of everything can be built from ground zero, if the above are in order - in that order.

1. Ownership
2. GM/Scouting
3. Facilities
4. City
5. Draft/Cap resources
Agreed, although I might put city 2 or 3. Both from a fan base perspective but more so from a “do I, and my family actually want to live here?” Perspective. There’s nothing wrong with the great people of the northeast or LA, But without a doubt I’d rather live in Nashville (in case NE makes a crazy offer for Vrabel), Tampa Bay or even Atlanta over LA, Buffalo, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc. I’d also prefer Charlotte but owner makes that a pass.

1. Ownership
2. GM/Scouting
3. Facilities
4. City
5. Draft/Cap resources
Agreed, although I might put city 2 or 3. Both from a fan base perspective but more so from a “do I, and my family actually want to live here?” Perspective. There’s nothing wrong with the great people of the northeast or LA, But without a doubt I’d rather live in Nashville (in case NE makes a crazy offer for Vrabel), Tampa Bay or even Atlanta over LA, Buffalo, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc. I’d also prefer Charlotte but owner makes that a pass.

I was thinking more in terms of which city I could recruit players to, but there is an obvious correlation there with which city I'd want to live and raise a family in myself.

Shows how little I know. My first thought was "defense" because a good defense, when it does its job, makes any game winnable. But I wasn't thinking of the overarching and atemporal effect of ownership and GM.

1. Ownership
2. GM/Scouting
3. Facilities
4. City
5. Draft/Cap resources

I was thinking more in terms of which city I could recruit players to, but there is an obvious correlation there with which city I'd want to live and raise a family in myself.
Maybe kinda?
I have little doubt it’s easier to recruit players to Miami than Indianapolis or Nashville. I have less doubt that I’d rather live in Indy or Nashville.

1. Ownership
  2. GM
  3. Facilities
  4. Quarterback
  5. Salary Cap space
  6. Good place to live and raise a family
  7. Positive Fan Base
  8. Solid media market
  9. other crap

I'd argue that an open job with a lock top 10 QB doesn't exist, or the job would not be open.

I'll give the shallow answer.

If I am under 40 I am looking for the team with the best weather and hottest local Instagram talent.

Statistically I am most likely going to be fired within 3-5 years, may as well max out the fringe benefits in the mean time while I stack millions.

We all remember the COVID draft and that clown from the Cardinals hanging out in his 10 million dollar Paradise Valley home with the pool/palm trees/mountains in the background. He was in the news more for his influencer 20-something girlfriend than his on field work.

If I am over then I go with the standard Ownership > GM > QB > OL > draft capital > fan base loyalty > weather > local IG talent > offensive weapons > kicker > defense.

Urban Meyer alias?

-QG

1. Ownership
2. GM
3. QB
4. Draft capital
8. OL
9. Pass rushers
10. secondary
11. receivers
12. culture
13. non-roster budget
14. fan base
15. other roster spots
17. division
What about the weather?

1. Ownership
2. GM
4. Draft capital
17. division
Put these factors on one side, then put current roster on the other side. On the roster side, you need at least something to build on in the Not For Long league.

We all know the key positions: qb, offensive skill players, tackles, center, edge rush, run stuffer(s), LBs in space. Bonus points for culture/leadership.

Build a one year plan to flip as much of the roster as you think you need to, then follow a training, development, acquisition and retention plan.

Pray for 2 or 3 generational players.

For me, organizational stability would be #1. The problem is, those jobs don't come open too often. So you're stuck dealing with guys like Tepper or Bidwell most years.

1. Ownership
2. GM
3. QB
4. Draft capital
8. OL
9. Pass rushers
10. secondary
11. receivers
12. culture
13. non-roster budget
14. fan base
15. other roster spots
17. division
What about the weather?
Warm or temperate weather is more marketable to potential FAs than cold weather.

1. Ownership
2. GM
3. QB
4. Draft capital
8. OL
9. Pass rushers
10. secondary
11. receivers
12. culture
13. non-roster budget
14. fan base
15. other roster spots
17. division
What about the weather?
Warm or temperate weather is more marketable to potential FAs than cold weather.

I would say winning trumps that.

1. Ownership
2. GM
3. QB
4. Draft capital
8. OL
9. Pass rushers
10. secondary
11. receivers
12. culture
13. non-roster budget
14. fan base
15. other roster spots
17. division
What about the weather?

Yes, a winning culture definitely trumps how nice it is outside. I'm not sure it trumps all the factors that could be considered (like not paying income tax and/or sponsorship offers, for example)

1. Quarterback
2. Ownership
3. GM
4. Division
5. Offensive weapons
6. Offensive line
7. Defensive line
8. Defensive Secondary
1. Ownership
2. GM
3. QB
4. OL
5. Offensive weapons
6. DL
7. defensive secondary
8. Division

It all starts with ownership & cascades from there.

Build in the trenches. Doesn’t matter if the QB good if the OL stinks. But yeah, you need a QB.

Defensive secondary is only as good as the pass rush. Even the best DBs can’t cover forever.

As for Division, if you build a bully, your division needs to worry about you. TCOB & the division is inconsequential.

1. Ownership
2. GM
3. QB
4. Draft capital
8. OL
9. Pass rushers
10. secondary
11. receivers
12. culture
13. non-roster budget
14. fan base
15. other roster spots
17. division
What about the weather?

Yes, a winning culture definitely trumps how nice it is outside. I'm not sure it trumps all the factors that could be considered (like not paying income tax and/or sponsorship offers, for example)

The income tax issue is definitely something that is gaining steam.

If the Chargers are hiring, I'd like to let them know that I am well-qualified to waste Herbert's career just like they wasted Rivers', and my salary requirements are much more affordable than other candidates. Contact me on LinkedIn and we'll connect.

1. Ownership
2. GM
3. QB
4. Draft capital
8. OL
9. Pass rushers
10. secondary
11. receivers
12. culture
13. non-roster budget
14. fan base
15. other roster spots
17. division
What about the weather?

Weather is for sure a factor to some.

I remember talking to UT guy Bruce Wilkerson who played a long while back and when Green Bay was trying to sign him as a free agent, he said the primary pitch was "It's not as cold as people say". It's a big deal for lots of people.

I'm surprised how many are minimizing division.

That's the primary negative for the Chargers job in my opinion.

Home field playoffs are a gigantic advantage. New England benefitted massively from this with their championship runs.

Put another way, which likely open HC job is most attractive yes?

Bears seem to have a stable organization and either the qb or draft capital to acquire it and no HOF qb in their division. I would think someone wanting to build a winner would prefer that job to LAC job with meddlesome owner, Mahomes/Reid, but not sure what head coaches really prioritize.

I'm surprised how many are minimizing division.

That's the primary negative for the Chargers job in my opinion.

Partly correct. Isn’t their owner poorly thought of?

100% correct in my opinion. LOL. Facing Patrick Mahomes for the next 10 years is a big negative. Plus, I tend to think Payton will get Denver right.

But yes, lots of people don't think a lot of Dean Spanos. I hated the move from San Diego but I don't have that much opinion on him. He's created an environment where he's set the GM up to build a stacked roster and seems mostly stable. That's all I really want if I'm the coach.

Bears seem to have a stable organization and either the qb or draft capital to acquire it and no HOF qb in their division. I would think someone wanting to build a winner would prefer that job to LAC job with meddlesome owner, Mahomes/Reid, but not sure what head coaches really prioritize.

What specifics are you thinking of for Spanos being "meddlesome"?

Shouldn’t have used that adjective. I’ll defer to the LAC fans here that seemingly have a strong dislike for him for more details.

1. Quarterback
2. Ownership
3. GM
4. Division
5. Offensive weapons
6. Offensive line
7. Defensive line
8. Defensive Secondary

What would be yours?
Area Taxes 6th.

If I was a coach in the NFL, the qb position would be the first 3 things I would look for. A relatable GM I could create a healthy personal relationship with would be next. Ownership is obviously important, but if I had the QB and I had the GM I could overlook a shakey ownership.

I would want the team that was the most mismanaged and dysfunctional prior to my arrival, with a franchise QB or a high draft pick to select one. The rest would fall into place.

As for the bad GM, bad owner, etc. All them are usually "bad" if they don't have a franchise QB. It's hard to win in this league and it's nearly impossible if you don't have a QB.

1. Big fat contract.
2. GM
3. Owner who will open up the wallet to hire top assistant coaches/staff.
Surprised it took this long to say contract. The fact these notoriously horrible owners continue to get people to work for them says all you need to know. Money talks.

1. Big fat contract.
2. GM
3. Owner who will open up the wallet to hire top assistant coaches/staff.
Surprised it took this long to say contract. The fact these notoriously horrible owners continue to get people to work for them says all you need to know. Money talks.
I didnt mention contract because Stefanski is the lowest paid head coach at 3.5 million. I'd be okay with 1 million and expanses paid. Maybe a good parking spot also. Oh. Pay for all my personal streaming services. And my footballguys subscription.

Not to say this is the most important thing, but I prefer someone in their 30s if he's not an idiot.

Last edited:

Shouldn’t have used that adjective. I’ll defer to the LAC fans here that seemingly have a strong dislike for him for more details.
There's no commitment to winning with that franchise. Some years they don't even use their salary cap space. Relatively, there's not much of a budget for non-roster stuff. Everything's done on the cheap. The move to LA actually increased the value of the franchise, but at the cost of fan loyalty.

Lack of success + prioritizing cost cutting over wins + disregarding fan support = crummy owner

But yeah, I wouldn't say meddlesome. As president, Dean couldn't be bothered to settle all the Marty/AJ disputes that were upsetting that apple cart.

Last edited:

Seriously?

Users who are viewing this thread