What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What I'd Look For In A Team If I Were A Prospective Head Coach: (1 Viewer)

I would want the team that was the most mismanaged and dysfunctional prior to my arrival, with a franchise QB or a high draft pick to select one. The rest would fall into place.

As for the bad GM, bad owner, etc. All them are usually "bad" if they don't have a franchise QB. It's hard to win in this league and it's nearly impossible if you don't have a QB.
So the Bears.

Not to say this is the most important thing, but I prefer someone in their 30s if he's not an idiot.
Even though I prefer younger coaches, they tend to go for it on 4th down when they shouldn't. Sometimes taking the FG is the right play. Sometimes punting from your own 50 is the right play.

Put another way, which likely open HC job is most attractive yes?

Bears seem to have a stable organization and either the qb or draft capital to acquire it and no HOF qb in their division. I would think someone wanting to build a winner would prefer that job to LAC job with meddlesome owner, Mahomes/Reid, but not sure what head coaches really prioritize.

What specifics are you thinking of for Spanos being "meddlesome"?

Shouldn’t have used that adjective. I’ll defer to the LAC fans here that seemingly have a strong dislike for him for more details.
There's no commitment to winning with that franchise. Some years they don't even use their salary cap space. Relatively, there's not much of a budget for non-roster stuff. Everything's done on the cheap. The move to LA actually increased the value of the franchise, but at the cost of fan loyalty.

Lack of success + prioritizing cost cutting over wins + disregarding fan support = crummy owner

But yeah, I wouldn't say meddlesome. As president, Dean couldn't be bothered to settle all the Marty/AJ disputes that were upsetting that apple cart.

I totally get San Diego folks not liking him. But I don't know I see the other accusations. He seems to me like a pretty average owner.

But I don't know I see the other accusations. He seems to me like a pretty average owner.

He's been notoriously cheap and rode coattails to get to L.A. Kroenke doesn't like him because he hasn't really split the bill with them. He hasn't delivered on fans or equity. There was a many-paged article about a year ago in ESPN about it.

I don't like him personally because he was always holding up San Diego voters for more money before he took off to L.A.

San Diego people don't like the ownership for a myriad of reasons. I can't speak for them, but it wasn't just the move. The Spanoses are very disliked in the area. Not all owners have that resentment or dislike.

Put another way, which likely open HC job is most attractive yes?

Bears seem to have a stable organization and either the qb or draft capital to acquire it and no HOF qb in their division. I would think someone wanting to build a winner would prefer that job to LAC job with meddlesome owner, Mahomes/Reid, but not sure what head coaches really prioritize.
Seriously?

Yes. Old franchise never leaving Chicago same ownership family. GM is a question but they have tons of draft capital/cap space and seemingly a desire to build a winner.

The fact these notoriously horrible owners continue to get people to work for them says all you need to know. Money talks.
Can you elaborate on who you mean and what makes them horrible?
You didn't ask me, but I can give you an example. The Redskins/Football Team/Commanders never had any extended absences at the HC position under Snyder. Schottenheimer, Gibbs, Spurrier, Zorn, Gruden, Rivera, and Shanahan were all willing to take his cash.

I'm surprised how many are minimizing division.

That's the primary negative for the Chargers job in my opinion.

Partly correct. Isn’t their owner poorly thought of?

100% correct in my opinion. LOL. Facing Patrick Mahomes for the next 10 years is a big negative. Plus, I tend to think Payton will get Denver right.
Facing Mahomes could be scary, yes, but remember that he has done this all with Travis Kelce (who is showing his age a bit this year) and Andy Reid (who is 65). What if both retire in the next few years? I don't think we can just assume Mahomes will automatically be all-world without either or both. The Broncos had a horrific start to the season, yet are just 1 game back of the Chiefs in the division with a month to go. While the Chiefs have been king for the last five years, I don't see Mahomes keeping a stranglehold on the AFC West like Brady did on the AFC East for nearly two decades.

I would want the team that was the most mismanaged and dysfunctional prior to my arrival, with a franchise QB or a high draft pick to select one. The rest would fall into place.

As for the bad GM, bad owner, etc. All them are usually "bad" if they don't have a franchise QB. It's hard to win in this league and it's nearly impossible if you don't have a QB.
So the Bears.
Yes the Bears would be perfect. Although Fields is not a franchise QB. But they do have the picks.

Not to say this is the most important thing, but I prefer someone in their 30s if he's not an idiot.
Even though I prefer younger coaches, they tend to go for it on 4th down when they shouldn't. Sometimes taking the FG is the right play. Sometimes punting from your own 50 is the right play.
See what I mean? Pass up the sure 3 in a tight game. It’s not as if it was 4 th and goal from inside the one.

See what I mean? Pass up the sure 3 in a tight game. It’s not as if it was 4 th and goal from inside the one.
I guess he learned his lesson. I’m proud of him.

Users who are viewing this thread