Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Christo

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting.

1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

except that Bill Maher did the "who's in the caravan" bit (referring to Laura Ingraham as "the first draft of Megan Kelly" in the process) a lot funnier on Friday. if a doddering oenophile wasn't running the show, that woulda got rewrote licketysplit but Michaels must have succumbed to the "plz, pop-pop, that's all we got," pleas from his staff.

I don’t watch or find Mahr funny. Also they work on the show during week, it doesn’t seem to make sense to change it less than 24 hours out based on a Bill Mahr bit nobody saw. 

12 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I don’t watch or find Mahr funny. Also they work on the show during week, it doesn’t seem to make sense to change it less than 24 hours out based on a Bill Mahr bit nobody saw. 

at least until very recently, cold opens got rewritten right up to SNL airtime, and WEU beyond it. Jim Downey & Norm MacDonald didn't START writing theirs til Saturday morning to ensure freshness. And Real Time is seen live by a million & half people and hit on youtube by about the same number on average. and his pre-election show, like him or not, was brilliant

Edited by wikkidpissah

18 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

GB Pete Davidson for realz

That was one of my favorite WU commentaries of all time.  Love how loose it got, and how he saved a couple haymakers to roast himself.  Not sure if my favorite was Pence’s brother watching the episode of This Is Us where Jack dies, or calling himself a Dr Seuss character who went to prison.  

That episode was awful except for the cold open and WU. Jonah Hill is painfully unfunny.

13 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

at least until very recently, cold opens got rewritten right up to SNL airtime, and WEU beyond it. Jim Downey & Norm MacDonald didn't START writing theirs til Saturday morning to ensure freshness. And Real Time is seen live by a million & half people and hit on youtube by about the same number on average. and his pre-election show, like him or not, was brilliant

Good Bill Maher:

I was raised half-Jewish and half-Catholic. When I’d go to confession, I’d say, “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned… and I think you know my attorney, Mr. Cohen.”

Edited by Binky The Doormat

5 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Good Bill Maher:

I was raised half-Jewish and half-Catholic. When I’d go to confession, I’d say, “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned… and I think you know my attorney, Mr. Cohen.”

his first bit, that - did it on Carson. all downhill from there?

totally get not liking him, but his pre election Real Time was funnier & more evocative than entire seasons of Noah, Meyer, Colbert

• Like 1

I didnt watch the episode, but saw the Davidson/Crenshaw joke. I dont know why SNL thought that was in good taste. 

SNL is mainly unfunny. Every couple of months you'll get a genuinely good skit. David S Pumpkins brought that show back to relevancy.

36 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I didnt watch the episode, but saw the Davidson/Crenshaw joke. I dont know why SNL thought that was in good taste. 

Neither the cast member telling the joke nor the cast members on stage with him when he told the joke acted like the joke was in good taste.  

Criminal that no one here has given Aidy Bryant love for committing 3,000% to her falls during the HuckaPM skit.  That was one of the first genuine LOL I've given the show in a long while. 

Some things this week worked (cold open, America's Got Talent was decent, Democrat anxiety commercial, aforementioned HucakPM, Pug Wigs).

Some things did not (Kate McKinnon skit falling down in High School -egads!!!, Davidson joke)

6 year old Jewish kid was funny in spurts, but Leslie Jones needs to stop breaking.

But still love the show and it's still relevant, even when it bombs. 

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

6 year old Jewish kid was funny in spurts, but Leslie Jones needs to stop breaking.

I know he'd done this character before, and I started laughing as soon as he was on screen.  And it was still funnier than I expected.

But agree on Leslie - actors breaking used to be hilarious because it just never happened.  Then came Jimmy Fallon and now it's a couple of times an episode, or anytime Pete Davidson is in an actual skit.

Edited by SFBayDuck

2 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

SNL is mainly unfunny. Every couple of months you'll get a genuinely good skit. David S Pumpkins brought that show back to relevancy.

Davis Punkins was terrible.  Relevancy?  :lmao:

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

SNL has always pushed the boundaries of taste. 

• Like 1

Much respect to SNL for the Crenshaw skit. Great moment. 

• Like 4

This episode was not very funny-especially compared to the incredibly Jonah Hill episode. However the moment between Crenshaw and Davidson was both funny, mature and rather significant. It was pretty impressive.

13 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Much respect to SNL for the Crenshaw skit. Great moment. 

Agreed, hard to find a mix of funny, self-deprecating, and the right thing in today’s environment. Really well done. 

• Like 1

I didn't see the skit, but I saw Crenshaw on some TV morning news show while I was at the DR office this am. I rolled my eyes at first b/c the lower 3rd said something about SNL...."ugh  this is still going on?????" 

But when i sat down I saw that he had went on the show and thought it was pretty cool. 

At the end Crenshaw said something to the effect of, "its just humor and jokes. People really need to stop finding things to get offended about." 

Bravo, I'm a Crenshaw fan now. 

On 11/12/2018 at 8:36 AM, glvsav37 said:

he had went on the show 

Go directly to grammar prison, with no conjugation visits.  

23 hours ago, prosopis said:

Carrell was good

Very good. It's no surprise when comedic actors are on the show, it is actually funny. When someone with the personality of a barstool like Schreiber hosts, the show is not funny.

• Like 1

Claire Foy was not funny, but was really an excellent performer.  Never broke character, never flubbed lines, good with a lot of accents.  Not the greatest material, but she did a good job of letting everyone else operate.

• Like 1

The cold open struck me how quickly & far past satire the butt-in-office has moved since Baldwin last wigged up.

In laws put it on tonight.  Justin Timberland is on. Gave it a watch.  Might be an old one.

This is funny? He just did a skit dressed as a cup of soup with Santa.  Horrible.  What's funny about this?

• Sad 1

Catching up on the Christmas show from the 15th...

Miley Cyrus has become the SNL diva staple.

40 minutes ago, gump said:

Catching up on the Christmas show from the 15th...

Miley Cyrus has become the SNL diva staple.

My favorite skit from the 15th was the one with Strong and Damon doing The Best Christmas Ever.

• Like 1

Just now, Rustoleum said:

Don’t know if I am more or less partial to Greta Van Fleet now that I know they have a Hobbit as a frontman.

Very ... interesting stage presence

God they were horrible and their lead singer smiles way too much. 

• Like 1

Greta Van Fleet is just awful 

• Like 2

Greta Van Fleet is just awful 

Really bad performance by Greta Van Fleet which is a shame because they are pretty good. I have seen them live and musically they were great. The vocals are off the chart. My one complaint of the live show was the singers stage presence in my opinion was boring and just not good.

This seemed to be magnified on SNL. I also thought they looked nervous and did not come through in the big lights. I hope they can overcome that because they have a lot of potential.

7 minutes ago, prosopis said:

Really bad performance by Greta Van Fleet which is a shame because they are pretty good. I have seen them live and musically they were great. The vocals are off the chart. My one complaint of the live show was the singers stage presence in my opinion was boring and just not good.

This seemed to be magnified on SNL. I also thought they looked nervous and did not come through in the big lights. I hope they can overcome that because they have a lot of potential.

backstory on the lead singer

I don't watch SNL but searched out the Greta Van Fleet segment on youtube. Damn, that was bad although admittedly I only watched about half of it. I don't know much about them outside of the one other song but that definitely doesn't inspire me to look for more.

1 hour ago, John Bender said:

Greta Van Fleet is a damn good band. Sorry to hear their performance last night was so poor. 

I caught part of their set at ACL and had a good time...but they did a lot more jamming than song playing. I think the first two songs took over 20 minutes. Maybe the SNL 4 minute format defanged them. 

I thought the earthquake at the name changing department skit was funny. (I guess I still have the same sense of humor I had in junior high school.)

48 minutes ago, boilerdave said:

I thought the earthquake at the name changing department skit was funny. (I guess I still have the same sense of humor I had in junior high school.)

i was disappointed they didn't go with Mike Hunt