What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (3 Viewers)

Max Power said:
The blackface skit was pretty funny even if it was the same joke every time. 
I think that was the joke.

Weekend Update was great this week.  I'm assuming the weekend updates aren't available by themselves on Youtube?  Those two are usually great, but I can't make it through SNL that far usually.

I think that was the joke.

Weekend Update was great this week.  I'm assuming the weekend updates aren't available by themselves on Youtube?  Those two are usually great, but I can't make it through SNL that far usually.
they are.  the snl page has all the skits up as videos almost right after air.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SaturdayNightLive

Weekend update is usually chopped up into separate videos  by the characters and che and jost are split up into 2 or 3 segments.

I actually thought it was very weak this week. To many long, drawn out skits. The best part of WEU is the fast paced jokes. The skits just drug it down.
:shrug:  could be a weaker one that usual.  I don't get to watch it live too often, so I'm not the best judge.  I just think the two main guys were on fire.  you're right about the skits.

Go to YouTube and search “Halsey Without Me Vertical Video”.  It has 4.2M views, of which about a dozen are mine since I first saw it last week. 

YWIA
I think that's her best song ever.  Sans the chest area she looks like a teenage boy in that video though.  

I roll with a crew of problematic bastards 
no better proof of how writer-dependent is the rise & fall of SNL than to watch an ep hosted by a real former SNL writer. every sketch - contemporary setups, actual jokes, timely resolution, even the occasional high concept. no shuffling thru the zeitgeist whatsoever!

no better proof of how writer-dependent is the rise & fall of SNL than to watch an ep hosted by a real former SNL writer. every sketch - contemporary setups, actual jokes, timely resolution, even the occasional high concept. no shuffling thru the zeitgeist whatsoever!
Zeitgeist Shuffle is my Robert Townsend tribute film.

Almost the entire episode was excellent. Surprisingly, two of the more reliable bits - the political opening thing and Weekend Update were among the worst (although the usually super-professional Kate McKinnon breaking up over how terrible that meat platter must have smelled after a longtime under the hot lights was really good).

I thought the Bodega Charley and the Chocolate Factory was hilarious. And the monologue (which I think they extended) was just Mullaney doing some of his new stand-up, which was great. Way way too often, SNL skits consist of a decently funny concept/set-up, which then just gets repeated over and over again, with no actual comedy or jokes following the set-up. What I liked about Name Game and Toilet Seat Death Ejector was that they took the set-up as a jumping off point for additional jokes.

Mullaney is poised to become a big, big star.

-fish- said:
“I roll with a group of problematic bachelors and we call ourselves . . . The Squad.” 
Funny you mention this line -- there is some speculation that Mullaney may have swapped cue cards and added this line without Hader knowing it.

Mullaney has been known to do this when he was a writer on SNL, and specifically with Hader -- you can see that Hader has a very brief pause before he says the line, and gives out a tiny chuckle afterwards, where he is normally one of the most stoic unflappable actors on the show (Pete Davidson, take note).

I didn't have any visibility into Mullaney before his hosting SNL the first time, and coupled with his performance here, I've become a big big fan. Need to search out his stand-up and other things he's done.

SNL these days seems wholly dependent on non-current cast members who appear on the show -- bet there is a reason why they bring in Hader and Stiller for cameos, otherwise the skits this weekend without them and/or Mullaney were their normal meh (although props to Kyle Mooney as Paul Goser in the cold open skit, that was great).

Funny you mention this line -- there is some speculation that Mullaney may have swapped cue cards and added this line without Hader knowing it.

Mullaney has been known to do this when he was a writer on SNL, and specifically with Hader -- you can see that Hader has a very brief pause before he says the line, and gives out a tiny chuckle afterwards, where he is normally one of the most stoic unflappable actors on the show (Pete Davidson, take note).

I didn't have any visibility into Mullaney before his hosting SNL the first time, and coupled with his performance here, I've become a big big fan. Need to search out his stand-up and other things he's done.

SNL these days seems wholly dependent on non-current cast members who appear on the show -- bet there is a reason why they bring in Hader and Stiller for cameos, otherwise the skits this weekend without them and/or Mullaney were their normal meh (although props to Kyle Mooney as Paul Goser in the cold open skit, that was great).
His last standup special on Netflix was probably the best one of the year.  Not sure what his ceiling is, he's no actor, but he is damn hilarious

His last standup special on Netflix was probably the best one of the year.  Not sure what his ceiling is, he's no actor, but he is damn hilarious
He killed it as Spider Ham in Into the Spider Verse

Last edited by a moderator:

His first 2 standup specials are on Spotify and the 2 more recent ones are on netflix.

He also has a couple of great appearances on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast, as well as the Pete Holmes podcast.  Not sure if you are aware of his work with Nick Kroll with their Oh Hello characters, but they also have a special on netflix and a bunch of clips on youtube and are hilarious.  

His first 2 standup specials are on Spotify and the 2 more recent ones are on netflix.

He also has a couple of great appearances on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast, as well as the Pete Holmes podcast.  Not sure if you are aware of his work with Nick Kroll with their Oh Hello characters, but they also have a special on netflix and a bunch of clips on youtube and are hilarious.  
Their Netflix animated series, Big Mouth, is hilarious. 

The Netflix stand-up specials are both great, too. His sitcom from a few years ago was a huge bomb (mostly because it came off as a Seinfeld re-hash), but he's money as a writer, stand-up and voice actor. 

Not sure what his ceiling is, he's no actor, but he is damn hilarious
If i ruled the world, each comedian who showed Mulaney's kind of talent & promise would be issued a major novelist to show them how to arc their act into a world view. Only the late CK has turned his comic Id into a dramatic statement, and that was derailing when he derailed. Galifinakis kinda did, with CK's help, but Baskets kinda fetishized. Completely disappointed that SNL gals Fey, Poehler, Wiig couldnt deliver the "Andy Hall" type movies they hinted at being able to deliver. Schumer took one shot and sold out. Silverman kinda did. The Broad City girls look like they're happy as stoner boys. Rock, Burr, Chappelle would all have been great "Welcome to My World" subjects but.......bupkes

If i ruled the world, each comedian who showed Mulaney's kind of talent & promise would be issued a major novelist to show them how to arc their act into a world view. Only the late CK has turned his comic Id into a dramatic statement, and that was derailing when he derailed. Galifinakis kinda did, with CK's help, but Baskets kinda fetishized. Completely disappointed that SNL gals Fey, Poehler, Wiig couldnt deliver the "Andy Hall" type movies they hinted at being able to deliver. Schumer took one shot and sold out. Silverman kinda did. The Broad City girls look like they're happy as stoner boys. Rock, Burr, Chappelle would all have been great "Welcome to My World" subjects but.......bupkes
aziz could still get there.

Seems we all agree they should book more comedians as hosts instead of trying to make actors and actresses appear funny. The whole square peg, round hole sorta thing.
Lorne Michaels has to return the show from comedic Masterclass back into groundbreaking show first. Nothing wrong with SNL that a few writers talented & turbulent enough to hate their wine-sucking fossil of a boss wouldn't cure

Seems we all agree they should book more comedians as hosts instead of trying to make actors and actresses appear funny. The whole square peg, round hole sorta thing.
De Niro has had over a dozen episodes of practice, yet remains painfully incapable of reading a cue card or hitting the punchline at the right time, even when playing a straightforward character as Robert Mueller. In a sketch from earlier in the season, he stepped all over Ben Stiller's lines. 

As wikkidpissah said, when they get a host with writing and sketch comedy chops, the show flows evenly and consistently. 

solid monologue.  did a good job holding the thread and carrying the story and no dumb tangents with cast members.  interested to see how he does.

i like heidi gardner, but can do without a baskin johns return.

liked the golddiggers of the wnba for some strange reason, though it kind of lost steam.

can do without these goofy, toothless mikey day sketches.

Comedy owes Sandler a great debt, as it does all the great deconstructors. Thing is, comedy had paid that debt by 1998 and yet it goes on.....

Rodrigo Duterte said:
I wonder if he'll do the "I'm still a little boy in a grown man's body" stuff, for the 10,000th time?

Long Ball Larry said:
abbie doobie?

Rodrigo Duterte said:
Abbie whoever, it's always the same, tired schtick.  It was funny for like 5 minutes as Stud Boy on MTV 30 years ago.
Isn't that every routine he does?

1st half of this episode was super solid. A bunch of guffaw moments. 2nd half mostly fell off a cliff. 

Emma was wonderful- she always is. It wasn't the too well written of a show though. Also, I gave BTS an extended chance since so many of my students love them and I will admit I was feeling the 2nd performance. 

Users who are viewing this thread