What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PDSL BSS Discussion Thread...... (2 Viewers)

As far as my draft, I don't really like Eli Manning or Joseph Addai as far as players, but both in this format and in the general FF principle of checking your biases at the draft room door I could not pass on either of them. I would not want Eli as my QB1 in a typical redraft league (maybe a 16 teamer) but with his mercurial performances abated by best ball I am fine with it.

As for Addai, I've always felt he's a good player in a great situation with Peyton Manning creating opportunities for him. Who knows how he does in 2011 as he very well could be elsewhere.

To continue to try and spur on discussions - who to CIN TE Gresham? That felt early. I'd love to hear the thoughts on that one.

Over 2 rounds in one day. Well done guys.
:goodposting: But this is a smack talking thread, I just see everyone talking nicly about their own teams...lame! :hophead: We know almost everyone likes their own team and players.You always know the best team, cuz no one talks about it, especially when its mine...WINNING!

Last edited by a moderator:
'Football Critic said:
We know almost everyone likes their own team and players.
I wouldn't go that far. Just trying to make the best of a gun to my head.For all I know, every member of my team has the same bye week.

Not a big fan of Team Dufresne. :no:
:goodposting: I already said, one way or another, that I would have done things differently on my team but, people wanted smack so, I'll try a little ;)Not a fan of 3 QB's at this stage - You got caught at the end of the QB1 run (blah) then at the end of the QB2 run (blah) as well. Then feeling insufficient at QB you jumped at a rookie way too early. (blah blah blah)Not a fan of Calvin Johnson so early - Would have gone MJD and done a dance, or a Stud QB (as we have seen them fly)And I think we both would have benefited by taking TE's later. MUCH later.

Not a big fan of Team Dufresne. :no:
:goodposting:

I already said, one way or another, that I would have done things differently on my team but, people wanted smack so, I'll try a little ;)

Not a fan of 3 QB's at this stage - You got caught at the end of the QB1 run (blah) then at the end of the QB2 run (blah) as well. Then feeling insufficient at QB you jumped at a rookie way too early. (blah blah blah)

Not a fan of Calvin Johnson so early - Would have gone MJD and done a dance, or a Stud QB (as we have seen them fly)

And I think we both would have benefited by taking TE's later. MUCH later.
Well I'm drafting by the rules outlined in the PDSL thread (which I'm sure is the wrong thing to do) which is why I took the TE early. The bolded is exactly right. I got caught playing catch up with the QB spot and just haven't been able to.

:shrug:

'Jeff Pasquino said:
To continue to try and spur on discussions - who to CIN TE Gresham? That felt early. I'd love to hear the thoughts on that one.
That was me. I needed a TE and was set to take Pettigrew until Bass snagged him in the 5th. I am quite high on Gresham, who IIRC scored 15th in the format last year as a rookie. I do not like Marcedes Lewis at all and did not want any part of the TEBC in NE. I guess I am just higher on Gresham than others.

'Jeff Pasquino said:
That was me. I needed a TE and was set to take Pettigrew until Bass snagged him in the 5th. I am quite high on Gresham, who IIRC scored 15th in the format last year as a rookie. I do not like Marcedes Lewis at all and did not want any part of the TEBC in NE. I guess I am just higher on Gresham than others.
I like Gresham in Cinci and going 13th doesn't seem early, but then I look and Gonzo went 16th six picks later and I think otherwise. I think that the TE rankings by folks in our draft vary more from what I see as consensus than any other position, but I may be slow to the Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham hyoe fest.

'Jeff Pasquino said:
I like Gresham in Cinci and going 13th doesn't seem early, but then I look and Gonzo went 16th six picks later and I think otherwise. I think that the TE rankings by folks in our draft vary more from what I see as consensus than any other position, but I may be slow to the Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham hyoe fest.
To me Gonzo is a big wildcard. I just get the feeling that he is going to retire. I am probably wrong, but...

10.15 Donald Brown RB IND

thank god, save me from drafting his ###, again
Well, he's 23, he's on a good offense... Addai's status is up in the air and he did have a 129 yard/TD game down the stretch... I have faith, AND I really never owned him much before, at least that I can remember. Is now the time? Will Indy draft a back?

I've seen where people knock his blocking skills and then watched some games where I saw with my own eyes some damn good blocks.

IMO, My RB core is closed for a while with CJ / Bradshaw / Starks / D Brown..

.. and there's only 1 other RB I like in this range....

I had dreams of Brandon Jacobs falling to this spot for a while and locking up Bradshaw / Jacobs... Ugggh.

Looking back I wish I took Jacobs over Olsen.....

Not sure if I ever did one of these drafts with so many regrets.

10.15 Donald Brown RB IND

thank god, save me from drafting his ###, again
Well, he's 23, he's on a good offense... Addai's status is up in the air and he did have a 129 yard/TD game down the stretch... I have faith, AND I really never owned him much before, at least that I can remember. Is now the time? Will Indy draft a back?

I've seen where people knock his blocking skills and then watched some games where I saw with my own eyes some damn good blocks.

IMO, My RB core is closed for a while with CJ / Bradshaw / Starks / D Brown..

.. and there's only 1 other RB I like in this range....

I had dreams of Brandon Jacobs falling to this spot for a while and locking up Bradshaw / Jacobs... Ugggh.

Looking back I wish I took Jacobs over Olsen.....

Not sure if I ever did one of these drafts with so many regrets.
I agree and keep telling myself the same things, I always seem to have him in leagues and he always seems to lay a turd

I think Sir Peyton has been really supportive of Mr. Brown's blocking skills in the past.

Well, I took my turn at the corner and jumped on my two top defenses. Never know if it is too early, but when I signed on and was up, it was easier to take the plunge than researching all of the available possibilities. So, I guess you could say that I took the road less traveled primarily as a service to y'all by not holding up the draft while I researched.

I do like my team to this point.

QB - Freeman and McCoy

RB - ADP and LT (guys known by only initials could be a good thing)

WR - R. Wayne, D. Bowe, and Carolina Smith

TE - Cooley and Gonzo

DST - Steelers and Packers - turnovers and sacks

'Jeff Pasquino said:
'Sigmund Bloom said:
1.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Maurice Jones Drew, JAX, RB7

2.07- Sigmund Bloom - Antonio Gates, SD, TE1

3.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Marques Colston, NO, WR15

4.07- Sigmund Bloom - Matt Ryan, ATL, QB11

5.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Percy Harvin, MIN, WR27

6.07 - Sigmund Bloom - Mark Ingram, ROOKIE, RB26

7.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Donovan McNabb, WASH?, QB23

8.07 - Sigmund Bloom - CJ Spiller, BUF, RB33

9.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Arrelious Benn, TB, WR49

10.07 - Sigmund Bloom - Mike Tolbert, SD, RB45
Can't say I love my draft so far, but I feel like I can salvage a good team with a break or two...Wouldn't change either of the first two picks - wrote about MJD earlier (still a stud playing hurt and only 26, will be fine) and Gates is actually value in the 2nd if his foot holds up. Colston was a fine low-end WR1 in the third, just need a little more depth to cover any low points, and 24 rounds should help with that. Ryan a round earlier than I would have wanted, but this is a QB-inflated draft. My one big misstep was taking Harvin instead of Stafford in the 5th. Good WRs lasted until the 7th after it seemed like they were going to burn off at the normal pace when that pick came up. I still like Harvin, who really came on with Webb, but I would much rather have Stafford and any number of WRs available at 7.10 than Harvin/McNabb. Ingram was a swing for the fences in the 6th and one I that I am happy to take again because of 24 rounds affording a few more shot in the dark/low-end firewall types. McNabb was a punt, Ryan's lack of huge games means I needed some assured #s from my QB2. Maybe McNabb ends up somewhere good or finds his game and it really works out for me, but it hurt to pass on the WR/RB available for him... which dried up quickly before my 8th round pick. We hit a big drop where the next 40-50 players were pretty equal so I just went for upside with hopes that Spiller becomes Reggie Bush in Gailey's offense this year with a few long TDs mixed in for good measure. Benn is way ahead of schedule as I posted earlier and I think he'll take a big step forward as defenses focus on Mike Williams. Tolbert was too good to pass up in the 10th, especially as insurance for Ingram landing in a crowded backfield and Spiller treading water. I have work to do at WR, but it always the position that I seem to have 5-10 players left on the board that I wish had room for in 20 rounders.
Glad you back-handedly approved of my taking of Stafford ;) . I had the 5/6 turn earmarked for QB2 after I passed on a QB at the 1/2 turn. They dry up fast any more.Here's my question regarding your draft - did you give any thought to other WR options at the Spiller pick? IIRC you like Moore. Just wondering why you'd choose a RB3 over a WR3 at that point knowing the depth of RBs and the thin crop of WRs. I understand your general sentiment about WRs always seeming to be there at the end of the draft, but WR100+ may not be big contributors but your WR3 will have to be.

My general thoughts are that after around WR30-35, the pool gets rather thin so if you can get 3 good ones in your first 7 picks that's a must.

Speaking to general strategy at this point (since we're now drafting for depth) is that RB and TE are deep while WR and QB are thin - QB remarkably so. I think that's reflected in this draft with QB1s and QB2s going rather early while RBs seeming to "fall". The only surprise I've seen is that TE2s going early.
Stafford is the perfect QB2 in this format, just want his big weeks and you have his injury risk covered.I really saw the next 20-30 WRs all about the same at the point I took Spiller, there are still WRs I would have considered there on the board right now. Spiller (and Ryan Williams) had the highest ceiling of any RBs left imo so thats what I was looking for. Moore I don't see having huge upside and I already had Colston. I do think WRs that can give you 2-4 scoring weeks will be available well into the teens, if not 20s and with the extra roster spots, that makes swinging for the fences at RB (ie hitting on top 15-20 back outside of the top 5 rounds) more of a priority. I don't think getting 3 good WRs is a must because even the good ones will come up snake eyes 3-5 weeks a year if not when QB issues pop up, so you have to draft for depth no matter what, and with 24 roster spots that is very easy. Also WR has more candidates later on that can conceivably be one of the good ones even though you take them in the 15th round or later, much less likely at other positions. WR is the one position that quantity > quality

'Jeff Pasquino said:
'Sigmund Bloom said:
1.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Maurice Jones Drew, JAX, RB7

2.07- Sigmund Bloom - Antonio Gates, SD, TE1

3.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Marques Colston, NO, WR15

4.07- Sigmund Bloom - Matt Ryan, ATL, QB11

5.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Percy Harvin, MIN, WR27

6.07 - Sigmund Bloom - Mark Ingram, ROOKIE, RB26

7.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Donovan McNabb, WASH?, QB23

8.07 - Sigmund Bloom - CJ Spiller, BUF, RB33

9.10 - Sigmund Bloom - Arrelious Benn, TB, WR49

10.07 - Sigmund Bloom - Mike Tolbert, SD, RB45
Can't say I love my draft so far, but I feel like I can salvage a good team with a break or two...Wouldn't change either of the first two picks - wrote about MJD earlier (still a stud playing hurt and only 26, will be fine) and Gates is actually value in the 2nd if his foot holds up. Colston was a fine low-end WR1 in the third, just need a little more depth to cover any low points, and 24 rounds should help with that. Ryan a round earlier than I would have wanted, but this is a QB-inflated draft. My one big misstep was taking Harvin instead of Stafford in the 5th. Good WRs lasted until the 7th after it seemed like they were going to burn off at the normal pace when that pick came up. I still like Harvin, who really came on with Webb, but I would much rather have Stafford and any number of WRs available at 7.10 than Harvin/McNabb. Ingram was a swing for the fences in the 6th and one I that I am happy to take again because of 24 rounds affording a few more shot in the dark/low-end firewall types. McNabb was a punt, Ryan's lack of huge games means I needed some assured #s from my QB2. Maybe McNabb ends up somewhere good or finds his game and it really works out for me, but it hurt to pass on the WR/RB available for him... which dried up quickly before my 8th round pick. We hit a big drop where the next 40-50 players were pretty equal so I just went for upside with hopes that Spiller becomes Reggie Bush in Gailey's offense this year with a few long TDs mixed in for good measure. Benn is way ahead of schedule as I posted earlier and I think he'll take a big step forward as defenses focus on Mike Williams. Tolbert was too good to pass up in the 10th, especially as insurance for Ingram landing in a crowded backfield and Spiller treading water. I have work to do at WR, but it always the position that I seem to have 5-10 players left on the board that I wish had room for in 20 rounders.
Glad you back-handedly approved of my taking of Stafford ;) . I had the 5/6 turn earmarked for QB2 after I passed on a QB at the 1/2 turn. They dry up fast any more.Here's my question regarding your draft - did you give any thought to other WR options at the Spiller pick? IIRC you like Moore. Just wondering why you'd choose a RB3 over a WR3 at that point knowing the depth of RBs and the thin crop of WRs. I understand your general sentiment about WRs always seeming to be there at the end of the draft, but WR100+ may not be big contributors but your WR3 will have to be.

My general thoughts are that after around WR30-35, the pool gets rather thin so if you can get 3 good ones in your first 7 picks that's a must.

Speaking to general strategy at this point (since we're now drafting for depth) is that RB and TE are deep while WR and QB are thin - QB remarkably so. I think that's reflected in this draft with QB1s and QB2s going rather early while RBs seeming to "fall". The only surprise I've seen is that TE2s going early.
Stafford is the perfect QB2 in this format, just want his big weeks and you have his injury risk covered.I really saw the next 20-30 WRs all about the same at the point I took Spiller, there are still WRs I would have considered there on the board right now. Spiller (and Ryan Williams) had the highest ceiling of any RBs left imo so thats what I was looking for. Moore I don't see having huge upside and I already had Colston. I do think WRs that can give you 2-4 scoring weeks will be available well into the teens, if not 20s and with the extra roster spots, that makes swinging for the fences at RB (ie hitting on top 15-20 back outside of the top 5 rounds) more of a priority. I don't think getting 3 good WRs is a must because even the good ones will come up snake eyes 3-5 weeks a year if not when QB issues pop up, so you have to draft for depth no matter what, and with 24 roster spots that is very easy. Also WR has more candidates later on that can conceivably be one of the good ones even though you take them in the 15th round or later, much less likely at other positions. WR is the one position that quantity > quality
Some say that, but he aint worth a QB 3 if he cant stay healthy...and his track record says he dont. Its not an ankle, finger, or knee, hes a QB and its shoulder that cant stay together. Too much risk to just consider because of talent in a survivor. I say this because now that I dog him, he will be a stud. Thank me later.

sorry about the confusion earlier boys...pmd both Steel Dillo and Eak cause knew Dillo was on a one hour clock so I was just covering my butt in case......and then Bloom being the only guy I had to worry about takes the first guy on my list not helping matters....

Lots of guys who went undrafted in WSL4 getting snapped up early here.
who other than Hill?
Why does no one want Hill? He looked decent enough for Jax to let go of the other guy.
I like Hill - but Round 12 is about as early as he should be going I believe. Nothing wrong with that pick but yes, he was a Round 15-18 guy in WSLs. The tricky part of that sort of ADP is that if the guy goes before the defense (and/or kicker run) he's a Round 11-13 guy. If he goes a few WRs later he's a Round 15-18 guy.

who other than Hill?
Why does no one want Hill? He looked decent enough for Jax to let go of the other guy.
I like Hill - but Round 12 is about as early as he should be going I believe. Nothing wrong with that pick but yes, he was a Round 15-18 guy in WSLs. The tricky part of that sort of ADP is that if the guy goes before the defense (and/or kicker run) he's a Round 11-13 guy. If he goes a few WRs later he's a Round 15-18 guy.
Ah. Bloom had me thinking he wasn't drafted at all in the WSL. Which seems at least a little crazy when rookies, WR3s & WR4s and receivers coming off serious injuries are considered more draftable.

who other than Hill?
Ah. Bloom had me thinking he wasn't drafted at all in the WSL. Which seems at least a little crazy when rookies, WR3s & WR4s and receivers coming off serious injuries are considered more draftable.
He wasn't, although I know he was in WSL2. I was already to take him, in the 18th I think, when he went. I like him, but think it was a little early.

Might be early, but I needed to get Mr. Peterson's back-up, just in case. I know that at least one of you guys would be thinking of nabbing him soon and as has been said it is a long time between picks at the turns.

Great movement on the draft and everybody keep up the awesome pace. Fun times!

Had to take 2 defenses at this turn because I know one of you clowns is going to take 3 defenses with 24 rounds.

Dont wanna be like dillo a few years ago and get totally shut out of defenses either

Had to take 2 defenses at this turn because I know one of you clowns is going to take 3 defenses with 24 rounds. Dont wanna be like dillo a few years ago and get totally shut out of defenses either
I might be a clown, but not yet it has to be worked up still. Maybe that can be part of the whole my head exploding gig?

Matt Cassel, KC, QB15 Jason Campbell, OAK, QB28 Cam Newton, ROOKIE, QB30 Matt Forte, CHI, RB13 Fred Jackson, BUF, RB27 Pierre Thomas, NO, RB35 Calvin Johnson, DET, WR2 Kenny Britt, TEN, WR22 Jacoby Ford, OAK, WR37 Anthony Armstrong, WAS, WR60Danario Alexander, STL, WR65 Vernon Davis, SF, TE5 Kevin Boss, NYG, TExx
:shrug: If this were a true redraft, I'd be screwed. But anything can happen in a "best ball" survivor.

BnB, I understand the third defense and the strategy...but 3 before the 13th round is over, I laugh at that.

Seriously, to say that dont hurt your team is insane, another runner or receiver would of served your team better, then of all defenses Miami def. the strategy is to be use wisely, not just for meh, i'll take another in round 13.

Plus it took you 21 minutes while you were on the whole time to take another defense, and yet you didnt know if they were taken or not, lol

Just smackin a bit, lol

In a 16-team league with 24 rounds, it is a definite benefit to have two solid DSTs or even better to have three DSTs to improve your chances at getting multiple turnovers or even better a special team TD on a given week. Conversely, it is a definte detriment to other teams to not have multiple DSTs to balance out bad weeks and byes.

I only wish I had taken another at the 12/13 turn as I may not get another chance.

Users who are viewing this thread