What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PDSL BSS Discussion Thread...... (4 Viewers)

'Stinkin Ref said:
'Football Critic said:
I believe you mean Critic, and if I have to explain why I went kicker kicker, a, you cant read cuz I explained in prior posts the argument, and b, you dont understand how prior picks by someone taking kickers in the 14th round dictated the draft, and since you treat them like gold, i must take one since its 34 picks til it gets to me again. But a shark like you I'm sure knew that already. :wall:

PS Its kickers, they still have never been taken that early.
so what you are saying is.....taking kickers this early is not a good strategy...but then the trick is you actually do do it, and it is like a double secret reverse strategy cause then you get an advantage at other positions by setting them up by saying you weren't....and even though you really didn't get a bunch of value at other positions while everybody was taking kickers....everybody really thinks you did because you said you were...I mean weren't....awesome...
Yes taking kickers this early was beyond what sharks are suppose to do, however since everyone took one, I must take one as well...Is this hard to understand, or is this your first draft.Just because I ripped the people who take kickers, dont mean i'm gonna hurt my team next time around. Because you followed the leader, cuz most lack their own football sense, means I had to take one CUZ EVERYONE ELSE DID. Make fun call it epic or a joke, OR RIP ME, fact is starting the kicker run that early is dumb...But the real Joke is someone taking a kicker in the 14th round.

I need to stop responding cuz no one reads the point, you guys wonder why i always respond harsh like i do. We are on a forum for opinion, yet when someone other then you guys give them, you have problems. I suggest message boards are not for you if you dont like opinions, but then i'm realizing more and more, opinion is not allowed here.

So you all believe the smart move was to start the kicker run in the 14th, with what sigmund says is 10th round WR/RBs still on the board. I'm sure no one will answer, and continuw with the joke of me taking the 16th and 18th kickers, lmfao.

PS Jeff, I see the marks about the draft spots with Mix and myself, he had 2 before i had one, hmmmm.

I noticed not one person has broke down my team, why is that, cuz my team dont have many issues. The problem is when someone dont like someone, the honesty is hidden by hatred. So instead of breaking down my team you all rip my smack, that fine, cuz you cant rip my team....we'll see in december.

PS for the record all my talk has been football, and draft related, and is that not why we do this. I didnt join to say everyone had a good draft, I joined to breakdown and draft with total honesty. Just because most of you are friends, I see a lot of, oh you have a good team blah blah blah...Lets be football people and talk football regardless of who you like or hate.

Again who thinks it was a shark move to start a kicker run in the 14th?

Last edited by a moderator:
'Jeff Pasquino said:
'rzrback77 said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Its interesting bass and we probably need twilight to chime in.How many times has the 3/def thing worked? = Title.I have gone 1 QB and won it, I have gone 1 K and won it. I only did 1 defense once and flamed out (my first SSL ever).I get the strategy because you make at least 1 team only have single Def. but does it pay off for the team snaggin 3? How did mad viking do that time he took 4 defenses???
Irrelevant to compare three defenses to previous drafts. On those, you were limited to 20 picks and with 24 you should be able to cushion your drop off at other positions. It is a definite advantage for all the two DST teams and three DST teams over the one DST teams.
Taking a shot at the original question:Do teams with three defenses have a better chance than those with two (or gasp, one)?First, here's what I did:(Note - bye overlaps are ignored, we're just looking at scores)I used Twilight's scoring site to grab all the scores for the defenses.Average scores (512 scores, 32x16) = 8.1 pointsStandard Deviation = 5.95 pointsWhat that means is that 63% of the scores are going to be within 1 std dev of the average, and 95% of the scores will be within 2.So if I do the math, the teams scoring between 3 and 14 points is 348, which is 68%. Pretty good. Actually those between 4 and 15 is 63%, so we're in the basic ballpark.Now the questions I asked:1. If I have 1, 2, or 3 teams, what are the odds I get 0-4 points for my defense?2. If I have 1, 2, or 3 teams, what are the odds I get 8 or more points for my defense?Answers:1. One team = 37%. Two teams = 14%. Three teams = 5%.2. One team = 42%. Two teams = 66%. Three teams = 81%.Conclusion - you are more likely to both avoid bad weeks (0-4 points) with 3 defenses by almost a factor of three over teams with two, and almost seven times as insulated as a team with one defense.Three defense teams are also nearly twice as likely than teams with one defense to get at least eight points in a given week (81% vs. 42%) and about 23% more likely to do better than two team defenses. That translates to about 12-13 "good" weeks for 3-def squads against 10-11 for 2-def squads (and just 6-7 for 1-def squads). Significant? Quite possibly. It certainly doesn't hurt.
thats alot of leg work Jeff.

'Jeff Pasquino said:
'rzrback77 said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Its interesting bass and we probably need twilight to chime in.How many times has the 3/def thing worked? = Title.I have gone 1 QB and won it, I have gone 1 K and won it. I only did 1 defense once and flamed out (my first SSL ever).I get the strategy because you make at least 1 team only have single Def. but does it pay off for the team snaggin 3? How did mad viking do that time he took 4 defenses???
Irrelevant to compare three defenses to previous drafts. On those, you were limited to 20 picks and with 24 you should be able to cushion your drop off at other positions. It is a definite advantage for all the two DST teams and three DST teams over the one DST teams.
Taking a shot at the original question:Do teams with three defenses have a better chance than those with two (or gasp, one)?First, here's what I did:(Note - bye overlaps are ignored, we're just looking at scores)I used Twilight's scoring site to grab all the scores for the defenses.Average scores (512 scores, 32x16) = 8.1 pointsStandard Deviation = 5.95 pointsWhat that means is that 63% of the scores are going to be within 1 std dev of the average, and 95% of the scores will be within 2.So if I do the math, the teams scoring between 3 and 14 points is 348, which is 68%. Pretty good. Actually those between 4 and 15 is 63%, so we're in the basic ballpark.Now the questions I asked:1. If I have 1, 2, or 3 teams, what are the odds I get 0-4 points for my defense?2. If I have 1, 2, or 3 teams, what are the odds I get 8 or more points for my defense?Answers:1. One team = 37%. Two teams = 14%. Three teams = 5%.2. One team = 42%. Two teams = 66%. Three teams = 81%.Conclusion - you are more likely to both avoid bad weeks (0-4 points) with 3 defenses by almost a factor of three over teams with two, and almost seven times as insulated as a team with one defense.Three defense teams are also nearly twice as likely than teams with one defense to get at least eight points in a given week (81% vs. 42%) and about 23% more likely to do better than two team defenses. That translates to about 12-13 "good" weeks for 3-def squads against 10-11 for 2-def squads (and just 6-7 for 1-def squads). Significant? Quite possibly. It certainly doesn't hurt.
thats alot of leg work Jeff.
That is a lot of work, good job.Now, not to take away from your work. But explain the possibilities when you have 7 wrs instead of 6, or 7 rbs instead of 6. I'm sure I can do some math and percentages to show how owning 7 wrs are better then owning six, over having 3 defenses to 2. Especially when it actually comes to players you can lose to IR. One of those 6 wrs go down, your down to 5 wrs when you start 3, and 3 defenses when you start one. The Defense never gets an IR, so two is more then fine for a team. So can it hurt taking 3 defenses, well yes , yes it can.Edited to add: Im sure can have 7 wrs or rbs still, buts its an example to show more rbs/wrs are better.

'Stinkin Ref said:
'Football Critic said:
I believe you mean Critic, and if I have to explain why I went kicker kicker, a, you cant read cuz I explained in prior posts the argument, and b, you dont understand how prior picks by someone taking kickers in the 14th round dictated the draft, and since you treat them like gold, i must take one since its 34 picks til it gets to me again. But a shark like you I'm sure knew that already. :wall:

so what you are saying is.....taking kickers this early is not a good strategy...but then the trick is you actually do do it, and it is like a double secret reverse strategy cause then you get an advantage at other positions by setting them up by saying you weren't....and even though you really didn't get a bunch of value at other positions while everybody was taking kickers....everybody really thinks you did because you said you were...I mean weren't....awesome...
Yes taking kickers this early was beyond what sharks are suppose to do, however since everyone took one, I must take one as well...Is this hard to understand, or is this your first draft.Just because I ripped the people who take kickers, dont mean i'm gonna hurt my team next time around. Because you followed the leader, cuz most lack their own football sense, means I had to take one CUZ EVERYONE ELSE DID. Make fun call it epic or a joke, OR RIP ME, fact is starting the kicker run that early is dumb...But the real Joke is someone taking a kicker in the 14th round.

I need to stop responding cuz no one reads the point, you guys wonder why i always respond harsh like i do. We are on a forum for opinion, yet when someone other then you guys give them, you have problems. I suggest message boards are not for you if you dont like opinions, but then i'm realizing more and more, opinion is not allowed here.

So you all believe the smart move was to start the kicker run in the 14th, with what sigmund says is 10th round WR/RBs still on the board. I'm sure no one will answer, and continuw with the joke of me taking the 16th and 18th kickers, lmfao.

PS Jeff, I see the marks about the draft spots with Mix and myself, he had 2 before i had one, hmmmm.

I noticed not one person has broke down my team, why is that, cuz my team dont have many issues. The problem is when someone dont like someone, the honesty is hidden by hatred. So instead of breaking down my team you all rip my smack, that fine, cuz you cant rip my team....we'll see in december.

PS for the record all my talk has been football, and draft related, and is that not why we do this. I didnt join to say everyone had a good draft, I joined to breakdown and draft with total honesty. Just because most of you are friends, I see a lot of, oh you have a good team blah blah blah...Lets be football people and talk football regardless of who you like or hate.

Just for clarity sake, sharks would not be taking a kicker this early.

Is there a manual or bible or something on shark moves?

'Stinkin Ref said:
'Football Critic said:

No not a manual, just trying to get a vote.Heres a better question. If Jeff did not take the kicker. Who would have been the one to take a kicker in the 14th, who thinks that was the best time for it.

And from what i know about fantasy and the leagues im a part of, including WSL...Its not customary to take them this early.

Edit, I should clarify the started going in the 14th on average in WSL, but that is 4 rounds shorter. So I would guess 16th and 17th rounds best for kickers. thats all my point is.

'Stinkin Ref said:
'Football Critic said:

No not a manual, just trying to get a vote.Heres a better question. If Jeff did not take the kicker. Who would have been the one to take a kicker in the 14th, who thinks that was the best time for it.

And from what i know about fantasy and the leagues im a part of, including WSL...Its not customary to take them this early.
You are making a big deal out of this when it is not. Take a look at who started the Def run and the K run. Do you think it hurt their squads? I don't. The best time to take a kicker is before the good ones are all gone. Whenever that is. The fact that they get taken in the 14th or the 20th does not matter. It all amounts to about 32 picks at some point in the draft. To answer your question, I expected the kicker run to start once the defenses were picked.

'Stinkin Ref said:
'Football Critic said:

You are making a big deal out of this when it is not. Take a look at who started the Def run and the K run. Do you think it hurt their squads? I don't. The best time to take a kicker is before the good ones are all gone. Whenever that is. The fact that they get taken in the 14th or the 20th does not matter. It all amounts to about 32 picks at some point in the draft. To answer your question, I expected the kicker run to start once the defenses were picked.
No, really I'm not...we are on a discussion forum. Because others attack my discussion, does not mean I'm making a big deal. Its topic of discussion.Just like radio and tv shows, you discuss stuff. But as media is my occupation, I like discussion.

'Stinkin Ref said:
'Football Critic said:

No, really I'm not...we are on a discussion forum. Because others attack my discussion, does not mean I'm making a big deal. Its topic of discussion.Just like radio and tv shows, you discuss stuff. But as media is my occupation, I like discussion.
When you are having a discussion, do you ever find yourself agreeing with a point raised that differs from your original position?

'Stinkin Ref said:
'Football Critic said:

When you are having a discussion, do you ever find yourself agreeing with a point raised that differs from your original position?
Sometimes, its how people learn in ways. How bout you?

'Stinkin Ref said:
'Football Critic said:

I'm married. Happens every day.

That is a lot of work, good job.

Now, not to take away from your work. But explain the possibilities when you have 7 wrs instead of 6, or 7 rbs instead of 6. I'm sure I can do some math and percentages to show how owning 7 wrs are better then owning six, over having 3 defenses to 2. Especially when it actually comes to players you can lose to IR. One of those 6 wrs go down, your down to 5 wrs when you start 3, and 3 defenses when you start one. The Defense never gets an IR, so two is more then fine for a team. So can it hurt taking 3 defenses, well yes , yes it can.

Edited to add: Im sure can have 7 wrs or rbs still, buts its an example to show more rbs/wrs are better.
While this doesn't exactly answer your question, I do suggest that your read this:Survivor Strategy

I'll go along with this kicker topic for the sake of the discussion.

SURVIVOR leagues are far, far different than redraft leagues. Of course I'd never take a kicker early in a redraft (and probably even a Dynasty draft) league because of the waiver wire. There is no waiver wire in a Survivor league. Draft and go. That's it. Couple that with (A.) 16 teams, (B.) picking at the turn, (C.) defenses drying up and (D.) the lack of 32 known starting kickers and it made perfect sense to grab a PK when I did. I knew that kickers were the next big run and that if I wanted to get two that are solid options. Over half of the picks were PK between my first and second picks so while I did miss out on one tight end another starter was still there. Now several teams will not only be thin at D/ST because I chose three but also now teams will have to likely take a zero at least once for a poor / weak 2nd PK choice.

'Stinkin Ref said:
'Football Critic said:

I'm married. Happens every day.
My girlfriend just looked at me funny cuz I really laughed out loud, lol.

I'll go along with this kicker topic for the sake of the discussion.SURVIVOR leagues are far, far different than redraft leagues. Of course I'd never take a kicker early in a redraft (and probably even a Dynasty draft) league because of the waiver wire. There is no waiver wire in a Survivor league. Draft and go. That's it. Couple that with (A.) 16 teams, (B.) picking at the turn, (C.) defenses drying up and (D.) the lack of 32 known starting kickers and it made perfect sense to grab a PK when I did. I knew that kickers were the next big run and that if I wanted to get two that are solid options. Over half of the picks were PK between my first and second picks so while I did miss out on one tight end another starter was still there. Now several teams will not only be thin at D/ST because I chose three but also now teams will have to likely take a zero at least once for a poor / weak 2nd PK choice.
I get it, as far as your strategy for 3 defenses, mines differs, and maybe you can be able to take the chance on 3 defenses in a 24 round draft. I'll have to wait and see, I want to see how it betters your team as well as how much it really hurts others. If it works I'll admit I was wrong, but at this time, maybe a player who was taken at around the same draft spot, will still have more value to me.As far as kicker, again I get the approach to take the one you want, but with 10 rounds to go, my point is if you didnt take Akers in the 14th, you very well could have got a good kicker at your next back to back. I took gould and Tynes at 16 and 18 kickers, will they be studs? maybe not, but I like the chances of them gettting good points from one of them most weeks. I believe kickers were early, with a lot of good talent still out there.Thats all just an opinion, I'm sorry if it differs.

Just to let y'all know, the longest we would have had to wait for the kicker run if Jeff did not take on was the end of the 14th round. I would have defintely taken one and probably two to jump start the run the same way the DST run was begun a few rounds earlier.

Just to let y'all know, the longest we would have had to wait for the kicker run if Jeff did not take on was the end of the 14th round. I would have defintely taken one and probably two to jump start the run the same way the DST run was begun a few rounds earlier.
Im its all good and fine, but 15th round is closer to around 17th which I thought would be the projected time.But you are entitled to pick the players you want off the board.

I'll go along with this kicker topic for the sake of the discussion.SURVIVOR leagues are far, far different than redraft leagues. Of course I'd never take a kicker early in a redraft (and probably even a Dynasty draft) league because of the waiver wire. There is no waiver wire in a Survivor league. Draft and go. That's it. Couple that with (A.) 16 teams, (B.) picking at the turn, (C.) defenses drying up and (D.) the lack of 32 known starting kickers and it made perfect sense to grab a PK when I did. I knew that kickers were the next big run and that if I wanted to get two that are solid options. Over half of the picks were PK between my first and second picks so while I did miss out on one tight end another starter was still there. Now several teams will not only be thin at D/ST because I chose three but also now teams will have to likely take a zero at least once for a poor / weak 2nd PK choice.
I get it, as far as your strategy for 3 defenses, mines differs, and maybe you can be able to take the chance on 3 defenses in a 24 round draft. I'll have to wait and see, I want to see how it betters your team as well as how much it really hurts others. If it works I'll admit I was wrong, but at this time, maybe a player who was taken at around the same draft spot, will still have more value to me.As far as kicker, again I get the approach to take the one you want, but with 10 rounds to go, my point is if you didnt take Akers in the 14th, you very well could have got a good kicker at your next back to back. I took gould and Tynes at 16 and 18 kickers, will they be studs? maybe not, but I like the chances of them gettting good points from one of them most weeks. I believe kickers were early, with a lot of good talent still out there.Thats all just an opinion, I'm sorry if it differs.
I had maybe 20-22 kickers on my list that are acceptable. By taking Akers when I did I made sure I could get one. That was the gamble I took. Had I known only 16 would go I probably could have waited and locked up Tamme, but he's not a lock to be any better / more valuable as a TE2 to me than Fasano.So my trade-off was the #1 PK from last year and a modest #2 in Longwell (who's pretty good) with Fasano or maybe Tynes / Longwell and Tamme. Since I hate Meadowlands kickers, I liked how it ended - but it is about even.As for those who aren't knocking your squad - it looks pretty good so far as long as SJax has another solid year. Time will tell, and we'll see how your depth picks go.

BSS - Eddie Royal - WR - Denver
What a difference a year makes.
16th round, new coach. Who knows. I really really wanted to roll the dice with driver at that pick. ah well
not sure the new coach thing really matters....but the hip may be another story
Why wouldnt a coach matter? Josh McD didnt like Eddie for some reason? He had a monster season with Shanny and Cutler. So change of coaching, who knows

16th round, new coach. Who knows. I really really wanted to roll the dice with driver at that pick. ah well
I wanted Driver as well....

I knew taking my kicker was going to be at the expense of one of these WR's......

Another regret - I could probably have grabbed 2 K's here - but, all part of the fun at the end of the draft.

I'm not ####'n though I love the end... I especially love that I can draft and then leave the draft for at least 24 hours or so and get some work done - or read about Otis's baby or laugh at people trying to explain 16 Team Survivor leagues to the Noob :shrug:

Driver was screaming value, but already having 6 WRs including an oldster in Mason and feeling like Sproles was a cut above the remaining RBs because of the PPR factor and likelihood that whatever team he ends up on will plan on using him (the nature of free agency) made me pass on him. Really hurt to though as the risk/reward dictates a pick in the 10th-12th. In general lots of plum value still remaining at WR - also a factor in taking Sproles over Driver. Have to assume that 24 rounds made people feel more secure in getting enough depth at the positions and pushed DST and PK off the board a little earlier as some of RB/WR going amidst the DST and PK runs really have more value to our teams than just about any DST or PK could, assuming you can snag 1-2 of each.

not sure the new coach thing really matters....but the hip may be another story
Why wouldnt a coach matter? Josh McD didnt like Eddie for some reason? He had a monster season with Shanny and Cutler. So change of coaching, who knows
Absolutely it matters. Royal's a great route runner, but not great at reading defenses - yet. He was asked by McDaniels to read coverage pre-snap and adjust routes accordingly. That really hurt him. His best year (rookie) was when he just ran the route that was called in the huddle.

Driver was screaming value, but already having 6 WRs including an oldster in Mason and feeling like Sproles was a cut above the remaining RBs because of the PPR factor and likelihood that whatever team he ends up on will plan on using him (the nature of free agency) made me pass on him. Really hurt to though as the risk/reward dictates a pick in the 10th-12th. In general lots of plum value still remaining at WR - also a factor in taking Sproles over Driver. Have to assume that 24 rounds made people feel more secure in getting enough depth at the positions and pushed DST and PK off the board a little earlier as some of RB/WR going amidst the DST and PK runs really have more value to our teams than just about any DST or PK could, assuming you can snag 1-2 of each.
I thought of Driver as well but I already had Jennings and wanted to execute the 3-defense plan and needed a TE2.Driver's a great pick at this point - the only concern is if he starts breaking down then he may be of little to no value in the second half of the year.

I was going to take Royal and I like him well over Driver, but both are very solid picks at this point. Driver is a very hard worker that takes pride in his craft. Will that drive slip any after winning the Super Bowl at his age. I much enjoyed the joy on his face immediately after the win.

I wanted Driver as well....

I knew taking my kicker was going to be at the expense of one of these WR's......

Another regret - I could probably have grabbed 2 K's here - but, all part of the fun at the end of the draft.

I'm not ####'n though I love the end... I especially love that I can draft and then leave the draft for at least 24 hours or so and get some work done - or read about Otis's baby or laugh at people trying to explain 16 Team Survivor leagues to the Noob :shrug:
Royal and Driver are both good picks, its 17th round, this is where you get the guys you think have upside.I was hoping some would slide back around, got caught up in the kicker run :rolleyes: lol

'Stinkin Ref said:
'Football Critic said:

Edit, I should clarify the started going in the 14th on average in WSL, but that is 4 rounds shorter. So I would guess 16th and 17th rounds best for kickers. thats all my point is.
I think it was a shark move. That's when I expected it.Given the expand depth of the draft, kickers should be going earlier, not later.

Royal...my comment about whether a coach really matters or not was more directed about the second half of my comment about the hip....that is my biggest concern with him....and why I have passed on him

many want to look at McD as the problem and I guess you could argue the stats don't lie....but we could also say that his rookie year might have been more of freak season than what the norm would be for him......was he really going to be a 90 catch a season guy?....regardless of the coach I think Royal is a player and can put up some good stats and during his time with McD you also had the emergence of Lloyd, drafting of Decker and Thomas, and Gaffney being brought in, as well as Scheffler (good pass catching TE)....it was also Jay Cutler chucking the rock and Marshall/Stockley were still around....so while you can say some of it is on who is coaching/scheme, etc...I think some of it may be who else is around him at the time and if he is really that good.....

with Lloyd/Gaffney/emerging Decker around not sure where Royal fits in, but the Thomas injury definately helps his value.....let's just see how he comes back from a pretty major surgery....

Royal...my comment about whether a coach really matters or not was more directed about the second half of my comment about the hip....that is my biggest concern with him....and why I have passed on himmany want to look at McD as the problem and I guess you could argue the stats don't lie....but we could also say that his rookie year might have been more of freak season than what the norm would be for him......was he really going to be a 90 catch a season guy?....regardless of the coach I think Royal is a player and can put up some good stats and during his time with McD you also had the emergence of Lloyd, drafting of Decker and Thomas, and Gaffney being brought in, as well as Scheffler (good pass catching TE)....it was also Jay Cutler chucking the rock and Marshall/Stockley were still around....so while you can say some of it is on who is coaching/scheme, etc...I think some of it may be who else is around him at the time and if he is really that good..... with Lloyd/Gaffney/emerging Decker around not sure where Royal fits in, but the Thomas injury definately helps his value.....let's just see how he comes back from a pretty major surgery....
I'm not sure you can throw Decker into the mix, his talent aint like Royals, and neither is his upside. IMORoyal did well his rookie year, and Decker did not..So we know he is capable, but with Royal hurt a bit last year and I believe McD hold him back was an issue for Royal.

Intended to take Gettis or LaFell at 19.12, but they went a few picks earlier.

Went with Keiland Williams hoping his role increases as a 3rd down/situational back. He put up a decent amount of receptions last year, so if that trend continues, he has the potential to contribute every now & then.

Intended to take Gettis or LaFell at 19.12, but they went a few picks earlier.

Went with Keiland Williams hoping his role increases as a 3rd down/situational back. He put up a decent amount of receptions last year, so if that trend continues, he has the potential to contribute every now & then.
Had both on my radar - Started poking around and went with Roscoe Parrish.

I kinda like Fitzpatrick in Chan Gaileys offense and Looking at Parrish I was surprised to see he had 400 yards in just 8 games and reports are that his wrist injury is fine and he works well as Gaileys slot guy.... "Parrish was flourishing as a slot receiver under Chan Gailey before going down and will be fine to pick up where he left off."

No chance at crazy upside #'s like other migh but,For my 7th WR, I sold at least myself that Roscoe could put up a steady diet of points.

:shrug:

My team so far:

QB:

Bradford

Kolb

Flynn

Looks pretty weak right now. If both Kolb and Flynn get moved and are starters, this group could move into the top half of the leagues QB groups.

Grade: C

RB:

Charles

Torain

Scott

R jennings

Forsett

I love Charles in this format, but the rest of this is pretty ugly. I am not a believer in Torain, but had to get another warm body. I guess I could catch a break with the rest of these guys, but they are mostly a lot of what ifs...

Grade: C-

WR:

Fitgerald

D Jackson

Holmes

Bess

Decker

Started out very strong with this group, but I've failed to get the depth for my top guys. I will need a couple more lottery tickets that can give me one or 2 good scoring weeks.

Grade: B+

TE:

M Lewis

Watson

Honestly, I don't like either to repeat last year's performance, but I was caught at the end of both TE runs.

Grade: C-

I liked my start, but I have missed on several guys I wanted in the mid rounds. Overall, I think a lot has to go my way to contend and survive.

'jeter23 said:
My team so far:QB:BradfordKolbFlynnLooks pretty weak right now. If both Kolb and Flynn get moved and are starters, this group could move into the top half of the leagues QB groups.Grade: CRB:CharlesTorainScottR jenningsForsettI love Charles in this format, but the rest of this is pretty ugly. I am not a believer in Torain, but had to get another warm body. I guess I could catch a break with the rest of these guys, but they are mostly a lot of what ifs...Grade: C-WR:FitgeraldD JacksonHolmesBessDeckerStarted out very strong with this group, but I've failed to get the depth for my top guys. I will need a couple more lottery tickets that can give me one or 2 good scoring weeks.Grade: B+TE:M LewisWatsonHonestly, I don't like either to repeat last year's performance, but I was caught at the end of both TE runs.Grade: C-I liked my start, but I have missed on several guys I wanted in the mid rounds. Overall, I think a lot has to go my way to contend and survive.
You gave yourself a pretty fair grade, I like your wrs the most as well, Kolb will get moved, Flynn i dont believe so especially if ARod is on the cover Madden. lol

1.16 - Jeff Pasquino - Frank Gore, SF, RB10

2.01- Jeff Pasquino - Greg Jennings, GB, WR4

3.16 - Jeff Pasquino - Eli Manning, NYG, QB10

4.01- Jeff Pasquino - Steve Johnson, BUF, WR20

5.16 - Jeff Pasquino - Zach Miller, OAK, TE12

6.01 - Jeff Pasquino - Matthew Stafford, DET, QB18

7.16 - Jeff Pasquino - Joseph Addai, INDY, RB31

8.01 - Jeff Pasquino - Braylon Edwards, NYJ?, WR41

9.16 - Jeff Pasquino - Ryan Williams, ROOKIE, RB43

10.01 - Jeff Pasquino - Randy Moss, FA, WR51

11.16 - Jeff Pasquino - San Diego Chargers, DST9

12.01 - Jeff Pasquino - Dallas Cowboys, DST10

13.16 - Jeff Pasquino - Houston Texans, DST29

14.01 - Jeff Pasquino - David Akers, PHI, PK1

15.16 - Jeff Pasquino - Ryan Longwell, MIN, PK17

16.01 - Jeff Pasquino - Anthony Fasano, MIA, TE30
After 16 picks:QB - Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford

RB - Frank Gore, Joseph Addai, Ryan Williams

WR - Greg Jennings, Steve Johnson, Braylon Edwards, Randy Moss

TE - Zach Miller (OAK), Anthony Fasano

PK - David Akers, Ryan Longwell

D/ST - Dallas, San Diego, Houston

Needs depth but I like it in general.
Now after 22 picks:QB - Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, Rex Grossman

RB - Frank Gore, Joseph Addai, Ryan Williams, John Kuhn, Delone Carter

WR - Greg Jennings, Steve Johnson, Braylon Edwards, Randy Moss, Ben Obomanu, Josh Morgan, Anthony Gonzalez

TE - Zach Miller (OAK), Anthony Fasano

PK - David Akers, Ryan Longwell

D/ST - Dallas, San Diego, Houston

QB - I think Grossman is probably the Washington starter, so I think I have 3 starting QBs. A little bit of a luxury pick but 3 QBs can help with injuries always a possibility.

RB - I added Kuhn for GL TD chances, and those key 6-7 point games can really help when you need a RB2. Carter's a wild card but if he lands in the right spot he could really take off.

WR - Obomanu is going to start this year and so is Josh Morgan. I don't see either as a go-to guy or a TD stud, but 500 yards and a handful of TDs each will help now and then. Anthony Gonzalez was supposed to be a key contributor last year so if he comes back and/or Collie isn't 100% then a WR for Peyton Manning is never a bad thing.

Normally it is Rounds 16-18 where we get the interesting picks. With six more rounds, this is even more entertaining. 384 players is quite a large number. :popcorn:

I'm pretty sure I still have a half hour left? 22-4 Fendi Onobun-TE
:lmao: You don't have to start making up players.
Well I guess you don't know deep players.
This is a great pick - if this was Round 34.That said, Clay Harbor is more of a Round 40 guy.
I prefer deep sleepers to your average every day sleeper. How many of the 64 players selected after round 20 do you think will count more than once all year?
Thought I'd bring the discussion over here.Honestly I think the last 4 picks will contribute more than you think. Between injuries, rookie uncertainty, free agency and so many other wild card factors, many guys that look like they will not be worth a darn will post some scores that will count. I remember getting a few late, late picks in FBG survivor drafts that turned out to be crazy good (like Mike Tolbert or a few years ago Mike Furrey). It does happen.Couple that with Bloom's good fortune to find a second PK that was still there this late - which amazed me - and certainly he'll count for some. There's a few other folks who waited for depth at other spots (such as QB2, TE2, or even RB5) for Rounds 21+ and I bet they'll matter. Part of the challenge of SSLs is the limitation of 18 spots. Scarcity all over the place as people struggle with either going the normal roster breakdown of 2x starters (2QB, 2K, 2D, 2TE, 4RB, 6WR) or go up or down on one spot at the expense of another.

This is a great pick - if this was Round 34.That said, Clay Harbor is more of a Round 40 guy.
I prefer deep sleepers to your average every day sleeper. How many of the 64 players selected after round 20 do you think will count more than once all year?
Thought I'd bring the discussion over here.Honestly I think the last 4 picks will contribute more than you think. Between injuries, rookie uncertainty, free agency and so many other wild card factors, many guys that look like they will not be worth a darn will post some scores that will count. I remember getting a few late, late picks in FBG survivor drafts that turned out to be crazy good (like Mike Tolbert or a few years ago Mike Furrey). It does happen.Couple that with Bloom's good fortune to find a second PK that was still there this late - which amazed me - and certainly he'll count for some. There's a few other folks who waited for depth at other spots (such as QB2, TE2, or even RB5) for Rounds 21+ and I bet they'll matter. Part of the challenge of SSLs is the limitation of 18 spots. Scarcity all over the place as people struggle with either going the normal roster breakdown of 2x starters (2QB, 2K, 2D, 2TE, 4RB, 6WR) or go up or down on one spot at the expense of another.
I know there will be some good scoring late picks. I just wonder how many there will be. If you had to guess out of 64 picks how many would you say will count at least twice? Out of those how many will score enough to impact the outcome of a game?

I know there will be some good scoring late picks. I just wonder how many there will be. If you had to guess out of 64 picks how many would you say will count at least twice? Out of those how many will score enough to impact the outcome of a game?
Score twice? I'd say 10-12. Impact the outcome of a game? That's impossible to say given that only the low man is bounced. Maybe 1-2 times.

Score twice? I'd say 10-12. Impact the outcome of a game? That's impossible to say given that only the low man is bounced. Maybe 1-2 times.
I'll claim two of those 10-12.Scaife should top Finley once and will better him on the bye week. Graham could very well be my best kicker on my roster.

I'll claim two of those 10-12.Scaife should top Finley once and will better him on the bye week. Graham could very well be my best kicker on my roster.
Where do you think Scaife will be, because I don't think he's going back to Tennessee.Did you really take three kickers?

Where do you think Scaife will be, because I don't think he's going back to Tennessee.Did you really take three kickers?
No idea where Scaife will end up., but should be rosterable in the league.Yup. If you're only anticipating 10-12 of these players counting, makes since to draft someone who can incrementally increase your score for 5-6 weeks of the season.

I'll claim two of those 10-12.

Scaife should top Finley once and will better him on the bye week. Graham could very well be my best kicker on my roster.
What? Are seriously asking that question? If 3 kickers better your team, you take them, shoooooot...I'm surprised someone didnt take four. :hophead:

I'll claim two of those 10-12.

Scaife should top Finley once and will better him on the bye week. Graham could very well be my best kicker on my roster.
What? Are seriously asking that question? If 3 kickers better your team, you take them, shoooooot...I'm surprised someone didnt take four. :hophead:
Its a matter of numbers. Three scorers in an extremely variable scoring slot will definitely improve the scoring, not nearly as much as the increase of two over one though. However, it is a long season and sometimes kickers get hurt or miss a few in a row and get booted off the team. If you have three you have additional insurance against that. I looked quickly at the top few kickers in a league last year and the top guy scored 146, with number two scoring 144. The two of them together in best ball scored 194.

My Team:

I have said already, I would do some things differently.

Went into this draft after taking a break and doing no prep but, looking at the later/extra rounds as mostly Wide Reciever time... Knowing that there is always a WR to grab but, not always so at other positions. Maybe I placed too much emphasis on that and if I tweaked my draft a little I would grab another early WR over my TE's.. Again, as we all saw the TE pool was deep. Not sure I'll be going early TE in the next one but, you never know, I can see them falling to great value as well.

5.02 - Reaper - Joe Flacco, BAL, QB13

6.15 - Reaper - David Garrard, JAX, QB20

Between the NFL uncertainty and possibly the Extra rounds, Quarterbacks were the story of the early parts of the draft....

I got Romo in round 4 of the WSL who was gone before my 2nd pick here!!!!!

Sheesh, so it's not like I had any shot at a top QB. On to plan B not liking the value fall off after QB7.... Plan B is to wait for the 3/4 turn... Even thought about going QB/QB here but, DAMN!

I Really like Freeman, rode him last year as a 10th round pick.. I let Freeman / Flacco go around to Rzr and wound up with Flacco but, love the Freeman pick by Rzr which probably has more upside. Hopefully Flacco takes another step.

Again, Garrard Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.... Painful, worst QB value in round 6 I ever recall. Well, some FBG's seem to still like him so, hopefully Garrard improves and gives me some solid weeks when Flacco spits the bit.

Overall, not exciting... But, also not a ton I could have done value wise at the end other than drafting QB at pick 2.

1.02 - Reaper - Chris Johnson, TEN, RB2

4.15- Reaper - Ahmad Bradshaw, NYG, RB20

8.15 - Reaper - James Starks, GB, RB39

10.15 - Reaper - Donald Brown, IND, RB47

20.15 - Reaper - Taiwan Jones, ROOK, RB

21.02 - Reaper - Chester Taylor, CHI RB

22.15 - Reaper - Deji Karim, JAC, RB

Really like this group and think it has to be in the top few in this draft.

- and since the draft I've seen some good blurbs about Bradshaw and a member of the GB coaching staff rave about Starks calling him a poor mans Adrian Peterson (I wondered what Dynasty league this guy played in)....Brown could get a much bigger role in Indy.

Chester Taylor is supposedly staying in Chicago with his cheap salary.

And Jones is my 1 swing at a rookie who could possibly have a 3rd down type role with his speed on some team. With Karim, you never know how MJD comes back and if they want to lighten his workload.

3.02 - Reaper - Mike Wallace, PIT, WR10

7.02 - Reaper - Johnny Knox, CHI, WR34

11.02 - Reaper - Lee Evans, BUF, WR58

14.15 - Reaper - Jerricho Cotchery, NYJ, WR68

16.15 - Reaper - Mohamed Massaqui, CLE, WR

18.15 - Reaper - Louis Murphy, OAK, WR

19.02 - Reaper - Roscoe Parrish, BUF, WR

23.02 - Reaper - Chaz Schilens, OAK, WR

Hmmm, Don't love it. As I said, my plan was to wait and load up late.

The TE pool lasting so long, probably due to the QB rush made me regret not doubling up on WR's early and starting with a base of Reggie Wayne / Wallace...

Hopefully I have strength in numbers and I do think I got some decent value even with Schilens in the 23rd..

Funny how I have always drafted the lower tier guys from Prolific offenses and lived off the 3rd tier New Orleans and Colts WR"s and here I have a crew of Bills, Browns and Raiders.......... oh my.

2.15- Reaper - Dallas Clark, IND, TE4

9.02 - Reaper - Greg Olsen, CHI, TE19

Again, the theme of my draft is that I could have gotten good TE's later.. Even Olsen, who I do like a lot, I probably should have let slide and added more WR firepower..... But, In the end I have great TE's that should score in the top of the league.....

So, overall, I do like this team. I always look back and note how I can tweak value. But, I think this team is a contender, has top RB scoring and Top TE scoring to go along with at middle tier QB scoring and deep WR's.

IMO, winning Survivor teams avoid dead weight zeros, have a lot of hold the fort players, and then a handful of positions that POP - I'll pop at TE and RB.

With 1 pick left I do have a guy I hope falls...

Great draft overall!!!!!! Nice Pace.

Users who are viewing this thread