What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (2 Viewers)

Think I might buy it my bike from a local shop mom and pop place near my house.  Imagine they are struggling now and while probably more expensive I don't really want to live in a world without local stores.  
Oh definitely, was just saying on the bikesdirect purchase.

Another direct to consumer at that price point is this which has slightly better components:

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes-us/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-al-disc-6.0/2393.html?dwvar_2393_pv_rahmenfarbe=BU%2FBK

The other thing I'd say is that depending on how much trails (even paved) you do versus just road you might want to consider a cyclocross (or even a gravel) ride.  

yeah, no way could I assembly a bike.  Think my ability tops out at removing the training wheels from my kids bike.  
Here's a video from that bike I linked (video is not the same bike) showing an 11 year old kid putting one of their bikes together.  Its really just a couple of things that need to be installed.  From the 3 bikes that I've ordered online (2 from performancebike, 1 from bikesdirect), I can say that video is pretty accurate.   

These are the all assembly required bikes, correct? They have great deals on there but if you don't have the skill set, putting a road bike together can be a little intimidating.
I'd say 90%.   You need a hex wrench set to attach the handlebars, a pedal wrench to attach your pedals, insert the tires and slide in the seat post.   

Don't really know as this would be my first serious bike purchase.  As I said I have a cheap beach cruiser type bike but use CitiBike in NYC as well as a Peloton for exercise.  I have been spending a lot more time out of NYC so would like to get a more serious bike for exercise as I just can't run anymore and have love the Peloton for exercise.  

That bike looks amazing but seems to be a bit serious for my needs.  I am doing well right now so think I am going to call the local bike shop and discuss with them needs and sizing. They also know bike paths well I would be using so think they could help key me in on how serious a road bike I want/need.   Also, been thinking about it and willing to spend the extra money to get a new bike/support a local store.  Think a ton of really helpful info here that lets me be ready for the conversation of what I want/need.  I will report back.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't really know as this would be my first serious bike purchase.  As I said I have a cheap beach cruiser type bike but use CitiBike in NYC as well as a Peloton for exercise.  I have been spending a lot more time out of NYC so would like to get a more serious bike for exercise as I just can't run anymore.  

That bike looks amazing but seems to be a bit serious for my needs.  I am doing well right now so think I am going to call the local bike shop and discuss with them needs and sizing. They also know bike paths well I would be using so think they could help key me in on how serious a road bike I want/need.   Also, been thinking about it and willing to spend the extra money to get a new bike/support a local store.  Think a ton of really helpful info here that lets me be ready for the conversation of what I want/need.  I will report back.  
Supporting your LBS is great, and I applaud you for it.  If you think you might take this seriously at all, I would stay away from hybrids.  They're great for your casual bike path riding, which is obv all over the shore, but you won't be able to grow into it as much.

Honestly, I would look at a cyclocross or gravel type bike. Something that can take fatter tires if/when necessary. It sucks riding on potholed streets on 23mm tires. It is nice to have the option to put some more cush under you. I would only go road bike if your goal is 1) to go as fast as possible, or 2) you expect to race some day

Honestly, I would look at a cyclocross or gravel type bike. Something that can take fatter tires if/when necessary. It sucks riding on potholed streets on 23mm tires. It is nice to have the option to put some more cush under you. I would only go road bike if your goal is 1) to go as fast as possible, or 2) you expect to race some day
Wound up buying a bike that has the flexibility to go up to 35mm, but currently ride 25mm.  I didn't want to shrink my chainring.  Have you noticed a difference with a smaller chainring, and if so, how significant?

-jb- said:
Wound up buying a bike that has the flexibility to go up to 35mm, but currently ride 25mm.  I didn't want to shrink my chainring.  Have you noticed a difference with a smaller chainring, and if so, how significant?
I have a gravel bike that is my do-it-all bike. 650B wheels, with 47mm tires. I wil never go back to skinny tires unless I am racing. I was never a racer, but I was training for a couple years. Had a nice all-carbon road bike with 23mm tires. And while I could really get moving, my body took a beating on beat up roads.

I ride for pleasure and exercise and exploring. I definitely go a lot slower but the journey is more important to me now than the destination.

Not sure that answere your question though :)

I would just try it out. You can find some cheap 35mm tires and slap them on see

Got out this past weekend on my mountain bike to ride some single track with a couple friends. Every time I go I wonder why I don't go more often. Such a good workout and so fun. Except the part where my front tire slipped off a low wooden bridge and sent me flying over my handlebars faceplanting into some mud.

Been conveting an enduro road bike - all carbon, hydraulic disc, Ultegra groupo... But I can't afford it, not even a used one.

I missed out on a sweet 2018 Giant Defy 2 for $1500 local, but it got snagged before I could get a return email.

Maybe I'll give up some weight and go with a cross frameset instead of the enduro geometry. I rode a steel cross bike for years and really enjoyed it until I borrowed a friend's all carbon roadie and did some hill climbing. Man, what a difference.

Got any good sites to search for used bikes? I never want to pay full price.
I’ve purchased 2 bikes right off of Facebook marketplace.  I’m also in the DC area, so there is a Facebook group specifically for selling bikes and parts.

I have 3 bikes, all Trek. Solid investment but I'm biased.

I have a Domane 5 and it's a nice road bike. Not a real fan of the shifters (Shimano 105 R7025), just way too finicky for me. The bike I bought first and still love for just riding around is my FX Sport 4. That would be my recommendation. Easy to ride, light, maneuverable, configurable and can throw a bevy of tire sizes on it to handle whatever surface you plan to ride on.

I have my Domane hooked up to a Tacx Neo trainer & Zwift. Recently started riding around ont he roads again with the FX4 and remembered how much fun it is.
Dude, we gotta Zwift together!  Hit me up!  My local club does 2-3 group rides a week.

I’ve purchased 2 bikes right off of Facebook marketplace.  I’m also in the DC area, so there is a Facebook group specifically for selling bikes and parts.
I would search on there, but I don't do FB and there's no good way to do it without a login.  I'm sure FB knows who I ma na dalready has a profile on me, but EFFTHEM.

Got out this past weekend on my mountain bike to ride some single track with a couple friends. Every time I go I wonder why I don't go more often. Such a good workout and so fun. Except the part where my front tire slipped off a low wooden bridge and sent me flying over my handlebars faceplanting into some mud.
Where you located?

I get the same feeling as well.   I think partly its b/c mtb puts a lot more of a pounding on your upper body (especially the arms and hands) then road.    Even with a dualie 29er riding low pressure, I still get thrown around a lot; a lot of rocks in northern NJ.    A road ride is just so smooth besides the occasional rough section that is due for a repave.

I’ll set up the club if people want to pm me names.
There's already one out there https://www.strava.com/clubs/TeamFFA

It's from the Ran a 10k thread, plenty of guys that bike in there too. I forget who has the keys to let people in but if you put "from FFA" in the request (assuming you can) I'll let them know there will be some new faces trying to join. Helps too if we know your handle on the boards here so we can equate that to your real life name.

I get the same feeling as well.   I think partly its b/c mtb puts a lot more of a pounding on your upper body (especially the arms and hands) then road.    Even with a dualie 29er riding low pressure, I still get thrown around a lot; a lot of rocks in northern NJ.    A road ride is just so smooth besides the occasional rough section that is due for a repave.
Do it now boys.  In a few years or decades, you'll reach a point where the risks outweigh the rewards.  Life's too short now to watch a bruise turn from purple to green to yellow.

I've been almost exclusively on my flat bar commuter for much of the past year after tweaking my back but have been working on my core enough recently to get back on my Empella Bonfire ncyclocross bike.  I'm sticking to roads only.  

Do it now boys.  In a few years or decades, you'll reach a point where the risks outweigh the rewards.  Life's too short now to watch a bruise turn from purple to green to yellow.

I've been almost exclusively on my flat bar commuter for much of the past year after tweaking my back but have been working on my core enough recently to get back on my Empella Bonfire ncyclocross bike.  I'm sticking to roads only.  
You mean it doesn't get better?   

There's already one out there https://www.strava.com/clubs/TeamFFA

It's from the Ran a 10k thread, plenty of guys that bike in there too. I forget who has the keys to let people in but if you put "from FFA" in the request (assuming you can) I'll let them know there will be some new faces trying to join. Helps too if we know your handle on the boards here so we can equate that to your real life name.
For anyone signing into the Strava group, hop over to the Ran a 10k thread and introduce yourself. Good group of guys in there, little  :crazy:  sometimes but always willing to talk training & athletics.

This is why I gave it up.  Had a bad wreck deep off a trail and was fortunate not to break my collarbone (or neck).  Had to carry the bike back through the woods/trails for about 5 miles.  You can get hurt pretty quickly.  Of course you can get hurt on road bikes as well, but it is easier for people to get to you in the case of an emergency. 

Mountain biking is a lot of fun though.

beer 30 said:
For anyone signing into the Strava group, hop over to the Ran a 10k thread and introduce yourself. Good group of guys in there, little  :crazy:  sometimes but always willing to talk training & athletics.
Zomg beer, requested gb. Also fu domer

Ok, so I pulled trigger on this - https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/allegroa2.html.  

Bike shop I went to mostly sold Jamis and Cannondale bikes.  He talked me out of the more expensive bikes (Cannondale stuff) given what I would be using it for and said bang for buck you got a lot of bike if I was mostly going to use for exercise during just summer season.  I also have a Jamis beach cruiser that I bought like 10 years ago from same store that has held together really well so felt like I knew what I was getting.   Actually ended up spending a lot less then I was willing to.  Figure if I really enjoy riding and want to step up to a pure road bike I can do that in a couple of years and not feel bad about it spending a big chunk of change now.  

Took it for a quick spin and seems great so far and looking forward to a long ride Saturday morning.  Review of prior year model mirrored a bit of what he said so feel good about it so far - https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a25701207/jamis-allegro-sport-review/

Redwes25 said:
Ok, so I pulled trigger on this - https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/allegroa2.html.  

Bike shop I went to mostly sold Jamis and Cannondale bikes.  He talked me out of the more expensive bikes (Cannondale stuff) given what I would be using it for and said bang for buck you got a lot of bike if I was mostly going to use for exercises during just summer season.  I also have a Jamis beach cruiser that I bought like 10 years ago from same store that has held together really well so felt like I knew what I was getting.   Actually ended up spending a lot less then I was willing to.  Figure if I really enjoy riding and want to step up to a pure road bike I can do that in a couple of years and not feel bad about it spending a big chunk of change now.  

Took it for a quick spin and seems great so far and looking forward to a long ride Saturday morning.  Review of prior year model mirrored a bit of what he said so feel good about it so far - https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a25701207/jamis-allegro-sport-review/
Enjoy it!

Went to many bike shops and they are cleaned out of many nicer entry level type bikes by Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, people being home has sold out a lot of the stock they had and obviously with 85% of bikes coming from China there are going to be supply issues. 

Nothing really available that we can find in the $500-$,1000 range, also thinking of jumping up to Carbon frames which are more in the $1,200-$1,500+ range.

I'm sure most of you enthusiasts already have bikes you love and have owned for years. I have a Cannondale from 2013, Quick SL 3 and I like it plenty, thinking more for my wife so she can upgrade and keep up.  

Redwes25 said:

Bike shop I went to mostly sold Jamis and Cannondale bikes.  He talked me out of the more expensive bikes (Cannondale stuff) given what I would be using it for and said bang for buck you got a lot of bike if I was mostly going to use for exercise during just summer season.  I also have a Jamis beach cruiser that I bought like 10 years ago from same store that has held together really well so felt like I knew what I was getting.   Actually ended up spending a lot less then I was willing to.  Figure if I really enjoy riding and want to step up to a pure road bike I can do that in a couple of years and not feel bad about it spending a big chunk of change now.  

Nice ride. My Trek hybrid is very similar and I love it. Needs a new chain this weekend and I should be good for another 1,000 miles.

Redwes25 said:

Have fun! 

Took the bike out for my first real ride. Did a nice 45 minute ride and went just over 12 miles. Could have definitely pushed it further and will soon but wanted to give it a good test run. Loving the bike so far as I could really push it at times.  Pretty flat around where I am so not much chance to see how gearing is on hills but fit my purpose well for a long flat run where I could push some speed.  Already looking forward to my next ride. 

Any of you guys on Strava group that Beer posted?

Went to the LBS yesterday with the intent to spend entirely too much money on a mountain bike (Niner Rip).

They ended up having only one bike in my size.. Felt Dispatch 9/80 .  Was a little disappointed in the store, but the guy talked me into giving it a shot.

Couldn't be happier.  Saved 4 grand, and while the niner was another world of bike... I'm too old to be shooting through these trails.  So for $700 im riding and getting a great workout, this bike did just fine going through and over some bumps and ruts.  Ive never had disc brakes before. The front locks out so the ride to and from the trails is an easier push.  I figure if I really get into it I can always go back and get a better bike. :thumbup:   

Question for trail people... what do you do with your phone?  I have a big ### Note 10... was a problem.

Took the bike out for my first real ride. Did a nice 45 minute ride and went just over 12 miles. Could have definitely pushed it further and will soon but wanted to give it a good test run. Loving the bike so far as I could really push it at times.  Pretty flat around where I am so not much chance to see how gearing is on hills but fit my purpose well for a long flat run where I could push some speed.  Already looking forward to my next ride. 

Any of you guys on Strava group that Beer posted?
Just started following you, as nice as scenery is you’re going to get bored with flat earth riding pretty quick  :D

Went to the LBS yesterday with the intent to spend entirely too much money on a mountain bike (Niner Rip).

They ended up having only one bike in my size.. Felt Dispatch 9/80 .  Was a little disappointed in the store, but the guy talked me into giving it a shot.

Couldn't be happier.  Saved 4 grand, and while the niner was another world of bike... I'm too old to be shooting through these trails.  So for $700 im riding and getting a great workout, this bike did just fine going through and over some bumps and ruts.  The front locks out so the ride to and from the trails is an easier push.  I figure if I really get into it I can always go back and get a better bike. :thumbup:   

Question for trail people... what do you do with your phone?  I have a big ### Note 10... was a problem.
I have a Niner Rip.  We could've been best friends.   I see a lot of folks with the handlebar attachment.  I put mine in my seat pack.

Couldn't be happier.  Saved 4 grand, and while the niner was another world of bike... I'm too old to be shooting through these trails.  So for $700 im riding and getting a great workout, this bike did just fine going through and over some bumps and ruts.  The front locks out so the ride to and from the trails is an easier push.  I figure if I really get into it I can always go back and get a better bike. :thumbup:   

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Sports-Outdoors-Bike-Seat-Packs/zgbs/sporting-goods/3403471
They make under seat packs that will usually accommodate a phone. You could strap it to the bike but wouldn’t recommend that trail riding. You’re going to biff at some point and things tend to go flying. When it gets hotter I usually ride with a camelback so not an issue.

Nice bike  :thumbup:  A lot like my Marlin from Trek. Good starter bike, hard tail takes some getting used to but that’s part of learning to ride trails. Enjoy, be safe, don’t go crazy fast until you learn the trails.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Sports-Outdoors-Bike-Seat-Packs/zgbs/sporting-goods/3403471
They make under seat packs that will usually accommodate a phone. You could strap it to the bike but wouldn’t recommend that trail riding. You’re going to biff at some point and things tend to go flying. When it gets hotter I usually ride with a camelback so not an issue.

Nice bike  :thumbup:  A lot like my Marlin from Trek. Good starter bike, hard tail takes some getting used to but that’s part of learning to ride trails. Enjoy, be safe, don’t go crazy fast until you learn the trails.
Just bought my first bike ever - my last bike was a gift from my parents for my 8th birthday.  Got a Marlin 7 and am loving it so far.  Hard tail indeed.  :saddlesore:  Are those gel seat pads worth it?

Just bought my first bike ever - my last bike was a gift from my parents for my 8th birthday.  Got a Marlin 7 and am loving it so far.  Hard tail indeed.  :saddlesore:  Are those gel seat pads worth it?
I wear padded bike shorts https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike-clothing/cycling-shorts-bib-shorts/road-bike-shorts-bib-shorts/bontrager-solstice-cycling-short/p/13032/?colorCode=black but yea, any kind of padding you can add is a go thing. The ratatattat on the nether region is akin to Mike Tyson on a punching bag.

Users who are viewing this thread