What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (8 Viewers)

Really liked the Punk-HHH match. I think these guys could give us an even better clean match, but for what's going on right no, the no DQ match made a lot of sense. At some point Punk has to realize they are using him as the corporate shill.

Also, the GM podium made a return tonight. I was waiting for the anon GM to ring in, but am glad it hasn't happened yet. They built this angle up, then it felt like the GM angle was forgotten. They can bring it back to screw with HHH. The stage is set for a HHH-Punk DX recreation.

I still can't figure out the booking. Why would Truth break up a possible pin fall by Punk after the GTS when they have been showing that Truth and Miz wanted HHH to lose?

'OddibeMcD said:
Still a fan of what they are doing. Cody Rhodes is growing on me as well.
Didn't get a chance to see the PPV last night (usually to to Buffalo Wild Wings with some buddies), but I read the spoilers. Miz and Truth is a really good start to a strong stable. Miz is a good talker in the 'Flair' role, Truth is a decent 'Arn' character. Cody would be a great fit in the 'Tully' mold. I'm blanking on who to put in the last role though. Maybe Mark Henry? That'd be weird to have the champ in a supporting role, but his personality would put him there by default.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this walk out angle looked a little weak but I'm intriuged as its supposed to be drawing or somehow mirroring Occupy Wall Street.

But an interesting message evolves tonight as Cena says to HHH "You're my boss and I'm here to work"

Subtle subversion by the WWE to keep workers in line?

WWE took the anti-union line. Replace the wrestlers with teachers and Cena/Punk are vilified as scabs and picket-line crossers.

They also are trying to wrap these storylines up way too quick. Truth & Miz needed more time off, the HHH-Punk team took off only a few weeks after Punk tried to get HHH to step down in a match, Johnny Ace has the charisma of a banana and the delivery of a pair of French doors, how many times can JR get fired to draw cheap heat...still, I marked out a little at the hint of DX in the ending to the show.

Wow, this is a fantastic and strong video of the Scott Hall story put together by ESPN. I highly recommend it if you have 20 minutes to spare. http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7124904&categoryid=2378529
Thanks for the link. His wrestling appearance a few months ago was sad and difficult to watch, and should never have happened.Edit: I also never knew he had shot and killed someone earlier in his life.
Yeah I learned a lot from that piece as well. I had only seen the cell phone vids of the Fall River show and this new footage made it even harder to stomach.

Wow, this is a fantastic and strong video of the Scott Hall story put together by ESPN. I highly recommend it if you have 20 minutes to spare. http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7124904&categoryid=2378529
Wow. Thats jaw dropping for someone who was a huge Hall fan back in the day. I hope the guy somehow finds some peace and happiness, but it does not look like thats possible.
The first few minutes were chilling when he talked about not knowing what to do when the cheering stops.

The Scott Hall video was tough to watch.

I am about halfway through "Card Subject To Change" on Netflix streaming. So far a really solid doc on the independent shows out there. Kevin Sullivan is in it quite a bit, and you see wrestlers like Billy Kidman, Billy Gunn, Kamala and Lacey Von Erich working these small shows for just the love/money/fans/cheers.

Don't know how many are on twitter, but the last week or so Scott Steiner has been tearing TNA a new one over Hogan & Bischoff. I'm talking multiple tweets a day about how those two screwed up TNA. Good stuff and since IIRC he's not working for them, I'm guessing it's a total shoot.

Big Poppa Pump's twitter account

Don't know how many are on twitter, but the last week or so Scott Steiner has been tearing TNA a new one over Hogan & Bischoff. I'm talking multiple tweets a day about how those two screwed up TNA. Good stuff and since IIRC he's not working for them, I'm guessing it's a total shoot.

Big Poppa Pump's twitter account
I see more beef with Vince Russo than Bischoff. I don't follow Steiner, but someone I follow has been retweeting that stuff. Nevermind. I looked at his Twitter account and it looks like he's more onto #####off. They are pretty bad. I believe Bound For Glory (which is TNA's Wrestlemania) received 9,000 PPV buys. I don't know if I can express how bad that is in words. It's BAD!

Tna ppv this past Sunday drew an audience of 2000 (in 9000 seat venue). Their are embarrassing photos of it on the web.
Heard the crowd that actually showed up was pretty apathetic the whole way.With ratings nosediving badly, TNA's going to enter some reeeeeeeally murky waters here I think.

Tna ppv this past Sunday drew an audience of 2000 (in 9000 seat venue). Their are embarrassing photos of it on the web.
Heard the crowd that actually showed up was pretty apathetic the whole way.With ratings nosediving badly, TNA's going to enter some reeeeeeeally murky waters here I think.
When I think of Dixie Carter, I think of The Gambler, except she doesn't know when to fold 'em.

When I think of Dixie Carter, I think of The Gambler, except she doesn't know when to fold 'em.
Hogan and Bischoff's contracts came up for extension last year. That's when she should have cut bait with them. By now, things could have started to turn around. Instead, the day they put ink to paper will go down as the death knells for this company I think.Quite frankly, I'm glad. They've destroyed so much talent there, it's ridiculous. I really hope AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, and Samoa Joe can all salvage a late career WWE run out of this.

losing ufc was a deathblow to spike tv. Is their any shows even worth watching on it anymore??the death of tna (as constructed) has been a long time coming. you can't pay guys like hogan / sting /flair/ bischoff half million - mil / yr as non-competitors who arent current or future draws.bischoffs had one good idea in his career -- nwo (over 15 years ago). Yet idiots still pay this guy.edit: and you mentioned them resigning hogan bischoff ..they took 'paycuts'....tna should have canned them period.

Spike just reupped their TV contract. With that and Panda Energy behind them, they're safe to keep making garbage for awhile.

Spike just reupped their TV contract. With that and Panda Energy behind them, they're safe to keep making garbage for awhile.
Great, so they can one-up WCW and bring down a network with them, too. Maybe Vince will by Spike and make that his new WWE Network.

We used to go to TNA when it was still at the Nashville fairgrounds. What happened? I haven't kept up with it, but it seemed pretty good back then. I remember Viscera being there. Dude was fat. Lol

I took my 8 year old son to his first indy matches a few weeks ago, He loved it. The next time we went a took my 5 year old daughter and I think she like it even more.

Anyone into the Chikara fed at all? It is kinda goofy but entertaining.

I can't get interested in the WWE anymore.

Anyone into the Chikara fed at all? It is kinda goofy but entertaining.
Chikara is a LOT of fun. If there's one fed that you would take your non-wrestling fan girlfriend to, it's this one. Good wrestling, but they really emphasize the fun aspect.
Is there any way to watch their matches other than live or paying for DVD\streaming?
They might have some stuff on Youtube, but that's probably about it.

If TNA had NONE of these names, they'd be better off.

That was ECW's secret, they built their own people, for the most part. If the Gangstas and Public Enemy worked elsewhere, they weren't on a national stage, or north east stage so they felt fresh. When they used "established" guys, it was guys who were felt to not have had a shot, or whathave you. They didn't have Harley Race and Bob Backlund in 1996 as over the hill champions, they would cycle in a Foley, a Johnny Polo and repackage them contextualized against what they had gained a national fame for. The only exception to this was of course Funk, who was used wonderfully as a lone legend and it was acknowledged that he's an old *******. Clean house on all these guys that will cling to their spot and have someone, ANYONE book it, with a clear, streamlined mind with young pieces that won't be insistent upon dictating their use.

And with regard to the WWE, I sort of touched on this in the Wrestlemania thread, but here's what's irking me with the WWE at the moment and Albert ties into it.

You are running an overall angle and structure of pseudo-reality that makes no sense. Cena, if nothing else, if you can praise nothing more, he is a company man. He is not Austin, he is not even DX. He proudly, and boringly, went on in the Rock angle build up about how he bleeds the WWE and Rock comes and goes. Why would Laurinitis' character logically have any issues with this? He is running a company first attitude. They are heels and faces in name only, not in action. And the "boss" angle started hot, BECAUSE of kayfabe. A generation grew up knowing Vince as an announcer, and many if not most knew of his role. It was so shocking and so "real" when he was revealed as owner and to his credit, he RAN with it. That was lightening in a bottle, and they keep shoving him down our throats for fifteen years. Vince is still effective used sparingly but they are now trotting out a guy who's stated appeal is that he's vanilla? That he never got over? Guess what, Johnny Ace did and DOES suck, he's bland and not engaging nor charasmatic. This shouldn't be the basis of an angle, nevermind a seemingly summer long angle.

And all that aside, how and why do children relate to a boss "screwing" you over? I just doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, you are taking a guy like Albert, who was distinctive visually for a number of reasons. Size, look, baldhead, piercings. You bring him back, and vaguely acknowledge a "past" with the company, and you build him up as a monster, to presumably be "fed" to the top face. But the problem is, he's not a reality based character at all. He's not quite supernatural, but he's not quite not, he's just crap and doesn't really fit in the dynamic they have a framework for. He would have been great in the Hogan era, and if you must bring him back now, have him cut a promo on how Albert is dead to at least acknowledge and clear the air. Christ, I know they are not in the same universe on the stick but Foley successfully played 3 characters simultaneously but it was part of the gimmick. Again, Johnny Polo became Raven, you CAN change, but you have to meet the audience halfway.

Anyone watching Extreme Rules?

Punk v Jericho in a Chicago Style Street Fight just finished. Pretty great match.

Lesnar/Cena should be up in a few.

Anyone watching Extreme Rules?Punk v Jericho in a Chicago Style Street Fight just finished. Pretty great match. Lesnar/Cena should be up in a few.
I am. First non "big four" PPV I ordered in like ten years. Actually enjoying it much more than I enjoyed the Rumble and Wrestlemania. The Orton/Kane, Punk/Jericho, Bryan/Sheamus, and Cena/Lesnar matches have been excellent. The Chicago crowd is hot and that makes it even better.

Anyone watching Extreme Rules?Punk v Jericho in a Chicago Style Street Fight just finished. Pretty great match. Lesnar/Cena should be up in a few.
I am. First non "big four" PPV I ordered in like ten years. Actually enjoying it much more than I enjoyed the Rumble and Wrestlemania. The Orton/Kane, Punk/Jericho, Bryan/Sheamus, and Cena/Lesnar matches have been excellent. The Chicago crowd is hot and that makes it even better.
Best PPV I've seen since in a long long time. The Cena match actually lived up to the billing for once. Man, Lesnar needs to lay off the Jimmy John's. Dude is flabby.

Great PPV until that crappy Cena/Lesnar ending. Lesnar dominates for 20 minutes, Cena hits 2 moves and wins. Lesnar should have dominated until Mania next year to sell him vs. Taker. Cena can't beat Dwayne 'movie star' Johnson but can beat Brock 'UFC champion' Lesnar....got it.

Daniel Bryan/Sheamus was awesome.

Somebody posted a pic online from the match. Did I see correctly a guy wiping the blood off John Cena during the match. What is that nonsense the crimson mask is an honor in wrestling. Nobody did it better than Flair his blonde hair red and his face covered in blood.

Somebody posted a pic online from the match. Did I see correctly a guy wiping the blood off John Cena during the match. What is that nonsense the crimson mask is an honor in wrestling. Nobody did it better than Flair his blonde hair red and his face covered in blood.
The WWE has gone back to a more PG style and they are trying to stray away from blood in most matches. Even Flair was asked not to bleed in his match vs Macho Man at Wrestlemania VIII, but he did it anyway and caught hell for it. Of course, the old WWF pre-Attitude was a PG environment too.

One last question for the people that saw the PPV last night. The Kimora Lesnar locked in on Cena did he perform it as if it was a UFC move. I ask because if Brock had Cena in a Kimora he could of easily broke the arm. If Lesnar was in the UFC Ring and locked in that move on an opponent the arm would of been broken or the opponent would tap; no way Brock Lesnar would of given up the hold. Now we move into the world of entertainment and he locks in a Kimora and some how he doesn't get the submission and he doesn't break Cena's arm. From reading write-ups online everybody said Lesnar went in there as a savage and was in total control. Now if the WWE wanted to leave a disturbing taste in the mouth of fans and create some headlines across the morning shows and get people talking about the WWE why didn't they just sacrifice Cena he is young and bones, muscles and ligaments heal. Lesnar should of fought Cena UFC style and have Cena agree to get both of his arms broken via Kimora locks (we know it has happened plenty of times in UFC fights where a fighter gets his arm broken by the Kimora). Imagine the horror on the face of the fans to see Cena laying in the ring with both arms broken. They tried to paint Lesnar as this maniac bent on destroying and hurting Cena and the PPV comes around and he goes out with a whimper. How are they going to continue building his character when he has only agreed to work 30 dates including the next Wrestlemania in his 1 year 5 million dollar contract. With only 25 appearances left if they created a monster after the PPV they could continue on him coming into the ring and legitimately injuring another wrestler via a UFC technique and then bring in the Face to stop him at WrestleMania. with only 25 appearances left and having to build a new storyline it is going to be tough to do.

One last question for the people that saw the PPV last night. The Kimora Lesnar locked in on Cena did he perform it as if it was a UFC move. I ask because if Brock had Cena in a Kimora he could of easily broke the arm. If Lesnar was in the UFC Ring and locked in that move on an opponent the arm would of been broken or the opponent would tap; no way Brock Lesnar would of given up the hold. Now we move into the world of entertainment and he locks in a Kimora and some how he doesn't get the submission and he doesn't break Cena's arm. From reading write-ups online everybody said Lesnar went in there as a savage and was in total control. Now if the WWE wanted to leave a disturbing taste in the mouth of fans and create some headlines across the morning shows and get people talking about the WWE why didn't they just sacrifice Cena he is young and bones, muscles and ligaments heal. Lesnar should of fought Cena UFC style and have Cena agree to get both of his arms broken via Kimora locks (we know it has happened plenty of times in UFC fights where a fighter gets his arm broken by the Kimora). Imagine the horror on the face of the fans to see Cena laying in the ring with both arms broken. They tried to paint Lesnar as this maniac bent on destroying and hurting Cena and the PPV comes around and he goes out with a whimper. How are they going to continue building his character when he has only agreed to work 30 dates including the next Wrestlemania in his 1 year 5 million dollar contract. With only 25 appearances left if they created a monster after the PPV they could continue on him coming into the ring and legitimately injuring another wrestler via a UFC technique and then bring in the Face to stop him at WrestleMania. with only 25 appearances left and having to build a new storyline it is going to be tough to do.
Dude, are you serious? :no:

Vince: "Hey John, Brock's going to break your arm tonight. Are you ok with that?"John: :mellow:

Vince: "Hey John, Brock's going to break your arm tonight. Are you ok with that?"John: :mellow:
I am serious about maybe one arm not both. I don't understand where the creative team is going with this especially with his limited availability. His contract states he is working 30 live appearances including Wrestlemania in 2013 for 5 million dollars. He has already made 4 appearances. 11 more PPV's are left including Wrestlemania and if he performs in all that leaves him with 15 dates left to appear not even enough to show up on Raw 2 times a month until Wrestlemania. You can make him disappear for a few months and bring him back but how will that make the other talent in the back room feel that the WWE is paying this guy 5 million and he works basically for 1 month when we bust our tails every night for this company. I think this was a bad deal for the WWE and a very good deal for Brock.

I am serious about maybe one arm not both. I don't understand where the creative team is going with this especially with his limited availability. His contract states he is working 30 live appearances including Wrestlemania in 2013 for 5 million dollars. He has already made 4 appearances. 11 more PPV's are left including Wrestlemania and if he performs in all that leaves him with 15 dates left to appear not even enough to show up on Raw 2 times a month until Wrestlemania. You can make him disappear for a few months and bring him back but how will that make the other talent in the back room feel that the WWE is paying this guy 5 million and he works basically for 1 month when we bust our tails every night for this company. I think this was a bad deal for the WWE and a very good deal for Brock.
You do realize that wrestling is fake?

Users who are viewing this thread