What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (12 Viewers)

Word is that Ross didn't retire..He was foreced due to mismanaging a situation involving Ric Flair..
Pretty sure Flair doesn't need any help mismanaging his life and/or career.
No, the issue was that, during a press conference on the WWE 2k14 game, Flair stole the show with his drunken antics. For some reason, Vince put all the heat on JR, who was in charge of moderating the panel.

What's funny is that the 2k people actually loved it. But because WWE is homogenized horse #### nowadays, they drop the axe on their most loyal employee next to Howard Finkel and the Undertaker.

Is it just me or are the champions losing in non-title matches a more regular thing? It seems like back in the day, a champion defended his title in every match, and if you needed him to lose for story sake, you made it a tag match or he loses by DQ/countout,

Bogart said:
Is it just me or are the champions losing in non-title matches a more regular thing? It seems like back in the day, a champion defended his title in every match, and if you needed him to lose for story sake, you made it a tag match or he loses by DQ/countout,
It happened some during the Attitude era. I seem to recall Chris Jericho beating Triple H in a non-title match on Raw when HHH was champion.

Bogart said:
From my memory (back to the mid-80s), it's a pretty common occurance. The champion losing a one on one non-title match against his feud partner helps advance the storyline that the challenger can win the belt from the champ. Usually, it can happen on TV, but there may be a string of house shows where this happens.

Bogart said:
From my memory (back to the mid-80s), it's a pretty common occurance. The champion losing a one on one non-title match against his feud partner helps advance the storyline that the challenger can win the belt from the champ. Usually, it can happen on TV, but there may be a string of house shows where this happens.
This is a good point. This was a common occurance in house shows. I've even seen title changes that were never officially recognized in house show title bouts. The rule was, if it wasn't going to be on TV, it didn't happen.

Caught the last part of the PPV tonight. Surprised Orton got the push over Cena in what looks to retire the NWA belt for a while.

Bogart said:
Caught the last part of the PPV tonight. Surprised Orton got the push over Cena in what looks to retire the NWA belt for a while.
I'm not sure that's what they had planned. It sure looked like they ####ed up that last move (Cena should have gone through the table, but hit it at a weird angle and it didn't break) and Orton lingered at the top of the ladder for an awful long time before taking the belts. I think Cena was probably supposed to win, but was too injured to continue the match.

Bogart said:
I'm not sure that's what they had planned. It sure looked like they ####ed up that last move (Cena should have gone through the table, but hit it at a weird angle and it didn't break) and Orton lingered at the top of the ladder for an awful long time before taking the belts. I think Cena was probably supposed to win, but was too injured to continue the match.
Interesting theory. More interesting than the actual match from all accounts (I did not see it myself).

Bogart said:
Interesting theory. More interesting than the actual match from all accounts (I did not see it myself).
The match itself was not good. But then, I can't stand ladder matches anymore. There are only so many interesting ways you can climb or keep someone from climbing the ladder to get whatever is hanging above them. Slightly interesting spot with Cena hanging from the belts and Orton brings him down with a chair to the back. But why isn't Cena yanking on the belts to make them come down??

Am I crazy for thinking cena has gotten better as a wrestler helping guys get over?
I think he has improved light years. He's good.
His promo last Monday was some of the best I have seen from anyone in a long time. The crowd had a hard time hating him by the end of it.
The way they're using Cena never works, unless they're going to turn him. One day he will turn and it will be hot. But the gimmick of a face talking up another face to get another face over never flies.

Bryan has generated more geniune audience appeal and interest than Cena ever has-- across a spectrum. Cena's fans do buy merch though, but the inclusion of Cena in the Bryan stuff is as sickening as disheartening.

The match itself was not good. But then, I can't stand ladder matches anymore. There are only so many interesting ways you can climb or keep someone from climbing the ladder to get whatever is hanging above them. Slightly interesting spot with Cena hanging from the belts and Orton brings him down with a chair to the back. But why isn't Cena yanking on the belts to make them come down??
Because the outcome is pre-determined? :doh:

Because the outcome is pre-determined? :doh:
Of course. Sorry, was trying to be humorous there.

Am I crazy for thinking cena has gotten better as a wrestler helping guys get over?
I think he has improved light years. He's good.
His promo last Monday was some of the best I have seen from anyone in a long time. The crowd had a hard time hating him by the end of it.
Bryan has generated more geniune audience appeal and interest than Cena ever has-- across a spectrum. Cena's fans do buy merch though, but the inclusion of Cena in the Bryan stuff is as sickening as disheartening.
Had to tune in last night as a long time Orton fan, to see his moment, and what do I get? This absolute goof in his dorky shorts and hat and wristbands completely stealing Orton's moment to pitch a match not even involving him. WTF??? Who comes up with this ####?

And are Triple H and Steph heels? Are they with Orton? You couldn't tell from that segment.

In case you guys missed today's big announcement, World Wrestling Entertainment announced plans for WWE Network, which will start February 24th. The network will be $9.99 per month for the service and will include all 12 pay-per-view events throughout the year, including Wrestlemania. The PPVs alone would be $675 a year.

Here is an article on IGN detailing the announcement.

Official announcement from WWE

I don't see any mention of whether all cable and satellite providers will offer the network, but even as someone who just watches a few times a year, I can't wait to subscribe. I tried WWE On-Demand and was disappointed. From the sound of this, it'll be everything I hoped the on demand service provided and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just posted in the UFC thread. Definitely subscribing. As a big wrestling fan, an insane deal IMO to get all the live PPV's for $120/yr (for at least the time being) plus WWF/WCW/ECW library.

To answer your question, it won't be offered on cable providers. Here's an FAQ:

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article10035184.shtml
Just found the FAQ on WWE.com. Even though it's not offered through the cable/satellite services, I'm definitely in. Huge value there.

From the looks of it, they're doing everything right with this. It'll be available on smartphones, tablets, computers, consoles, and set top boxes (roku, Apple tv).

Many young people don't and never will have cable. It's critical for WWE to make their content available to the next generation of fans in a no hassle, cost effective package like this. They're going to put a huge dent in piracy and convert takers to paying subscribers.

I hope this is a trendsetter for the future of sports networks.

I'm hoping one day the NBA and NFL will make all games ever played (or at least games they have video of) available in a VOD style.

It's going to be great going back and watching Starrcade 1987,Halloween Havoc 1989, or watching a random Raw from the attitude era.

Can't wait.

I used to hate Cena because he sucked. Now I just hate Cena.
This.
Vince never turned Hogan, never turned Bruno. As long as Cena sells merch, he is what we are stuck with.
Vince turned Austin. That took more balls than turning Cena IMO.
Vince did not want to do that but Austin insisted. (Obviously, Vince could have put his foot down but didn't, knowing how tempramental Austin could be) I don't see Cena insisting anything from Vince. I get the impression Cena would be open to it but also wouldn't want to take away from his ability to do his charitable work with Make-A-Wish, etc.

I loved heel Austin but seem to be one of the few. Would have gone much better if it hadn't soon coincided with the Invasion.

Jayrok said:
Will they move the weekly series shows to that pay network too?
Sounds like they will run the weekly series still on the channels they are on, and then encores will be available quickly afterwards.

I love the move by the WWE. Extremely forward thinking. Simple math says they need 5 subscribers at 9.99 a month to match the single buyrate of a PPV at 50 bucks per show. While WM gets over a million buys a year, just looking at the Googles, it looks like some of the other shows don't do as well:

Night of Champions: 175,000 buys
Battleground: 122,000 buys
Hell in a Cell: 212,000+ buys

So I'm guessing Vince breaks even or better at 1.5 million subscribers, and it provides more even revenue across the year. That's probably a very realistic number to reach. The six month commitment is huge. Get people signed up and they get use to having it, or forget to cancel.

Love, love the move.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
Just posted in the UFC thread. Definitely subscribing. As a big wrestling fan, an insane deal IMO to get all the live PPV's for $120/yr (for at least the time being) plus WWF/WCW/ECW library.

To answer your question, it won't be offered on cable providers. Here's an FAQ:

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article10035184.shtml
That FAQ, like you mentioned above, stresses that you get access to the WWF/WCW/ECW library and "classic matches". The WWE library is way more voluminous than that, though. WWE holds the rights to all of the following:American Wrestling Association (1957-1991)[3]

Georgia Championship Wrestling (1944-1985)

Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW)[5] (1994-2001) and its predecessor

Eastern Championship Wrestling (1992-1994)

Memphis Championship Wrestling (2000-2001) *

Ohio Valley Wrestling (1998-2008)*

Deep South Wrestling (2005-2007) *

Florida Championship Wrestling (2007-2012)*

NXT Wrestling (2012Present) ****

Smoky Mountain Wrestling (1992-1995)[3]

Stampede Wrestling (1948-1989)[3]

Ultimate Pro Wrestling (1998-2007)

Global Wrestling Federation (1991-1994)

World Championship Wrestling (WCW)[4] (1988-2001)

Jim Crockett Promotions (1931-1988) which by the end included

Eastern States Championship Wrestling (1945-1973)

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (1973-1988)

Central States Wrestling (c. early 1950s-1986)

Championship Wrestling from Florida (1961-1987)***

Championship Wrestling from Georgia (1984-1985)

NWA Tri-State/Mid-South Wrestling/UWF (1950s-1987)***

World Class Championship Wrestling (1966-1988**)[6]

Maple Leaf Wrestling (1930-1995)

I wonder if all of the above would fall under the umbrella of "classic matches", and they're just saying WWF/WCW/ECW because those are the biggest name organizations to their current audience. It's a fantastic deal even if you can only currently access WWF/WCW/ECW matches, but it's an absurd deal if you can access the entire library.

They've been rumored for years. JMO This time they'll be forced to go to WWE as TNA is a sinking ship (even if they somehow last, both will be asked to take pay cuts). Given they've had to let go of Hogan and AJ Styles already due to financial, only matter of time til Hardy, Angle, Sting go as well IMO. I'd be surprised if they (TNA) lasted through 2014. WWE is more open these days to part time deals than they were the past. I doubt WWE signs Matt Hardy. Jeff is the only one that can draw.

Jeff Jarrett is rumored to be starting a new promotion (he just left TNA a few days ago), but not sure I'd give Angle/Hardy the mid 6 figures they'll want.

Will I be able to stream From my laptop to TV?

I have an Xbox one and this isn't compatible till summer.

Do you log in or something? I could borrow a PS3 for PPV nights until XB1 this summer?

I like his move. Hell, I might subscribe just to have the option of watching the ppv if nothing else is on.

This really is brilliant actually. A wrestling "network" for fans in what is billed to be a Netflix clone. All the PPVs are the icing on the cake. Vince gets ridiculously even more rich off this.

ETA: So instead of a channel or what you would like to call it, I could shuffle through or search "ECW" and stuff will pop-up like Netflix. Awesome.

ETA: So instead of a channel or what you would like to call it, I could shuffle through or search "ECW" and stuff will pop-up like Netflix. Awesome.
If you haven't seen them already, I highly recommend the RVD vs. Jerry Lynn series of matches.
You bet I have. Rob... :thumbup: ....Van...... :thumbup: ......Dam is a favorite and been vastly underused. This is going to be a goldmine for any wrestling junkie.

Users who are viewing this thread