What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark Souls :Remastered :YOU DIED: (1 Viewer)

So, still very early on for me. Just made it to whatever area comes after the Undead Berg. Just wondering, I have some resins and stuff for upgrading weapons. When do I get to use them? I tried equiping and using them but that doesn't work. So I am assuming I need to find someone or something to do the upgrades?

So, still very early on for me. Just made it to whatever area comes after the Undead Berg. Just wondering, I have some resins and stuff for upgrading weapons. When do I get to use them? I tried equiping and using them but that doesn't work. So I am assuming I need to find someone or something to do the upgrades?
Try this link. It gives a good run down on upgrading both weapons and armor

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades

I second the recommendation to get all builds up to 40 END. That's my very first priority for every character.
Despite making through many many tough areas and bosses I rerolled. I realized by raising both my str and dex to almost 40 I was crippling my character. Having an extra 30-50 points to distribute elsewhere was to much to pass up.

I've got a ways to go to catch up to my old toon but I'm rolling along and even Blightown has been (kinda) easy.

I ####### love this game.

It's been probably three weeks now since my PS3 was turned on. I fear by the time I get back to the game, I'll be forced to start over. I won't remember anything. :-(

It's been probably three weeks now since my PS3 was turned on. I fear by the time I get back to the game, I'll be forced to start over. I won't remember anything. :-(
It wont be the first time that you have to do that.

I'm almost back to where I was in my original character who logged a whopping 89 hours. My new guys time? 13 hours.

Somebody else said it earlier but you'll be shocked at how "easy" the game is once you know what you're doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I planned on tinkering with Sorcery so I rolled a noob to check out the spells- HOLY overpowered batman.

With only 23 Int I can dole out 30 shots at 133 per, from a distance.

The next spell up hits for nearly 300. :eek:

Sure it's boring as hell to spam the soul arrow but shocked here.

Finally got to turn the PS3 on for the first time in over a month. As expected, I started a new character, figuring I would play it long enough to remember controls, then go back to my other character. Well, in about three hours, I was caught up. VERY early in the game. Killed the Taurus Demon first try this round, and just took out some armor plated bull thing. That's as far as I got. But was nice to play again. Unfortunately, that's probably it until next weekend. This whole new job, new place to live thing has pretty much robbed me of my weekday play time. Will take me forever to get through a game anymore.

Have to say, now that I've reached the point I have to fight the Gargoyles, I'm probably done. Don't have the Humanity to go human so I can summon. You can't put resin on the Drake Sword, which means I'd have to try and fight them with just a mace or whatever. I haven't come anywhere close to beating even one of these guys, yet alone both. Oh well, it was an ok run for the $20 or less I paid for the game. But I just don't have the temperment I guess for the whole "reach impossible battle and die 300 times until you get lucky and win" thing.

p.s. Or can I just skip the Gargoyles and go down through where I killed the Tantinite Demon or whatever it was? Maybe I'll try that before shelving it.

Have to say, now that I've reached the point I have to fight the Gargoyles, I'm probably done. Don't have the Humanity to go human so I can summon. You can't put resin on the Drake Sword, which means I'd have to try and fight them with just a mace or whatever. I haven't come anywhere close to beating even one of these guys, yet alone both. Oh well, it was an ok run for the $20 or less I paid for the game. But I just don't have the temperment I guess for the whole "reach impossible battle and die 300 times until you get lucky and win" thing.

p.s. Or can I just skip the Gargoyles and go down through where I killed the Tantinite Demon or whatever it was? Maybe I'll try that before shelving it.
Yea, if you don't have the fortitude to ring the first bell you may want to tuck your tail between your legs , Nancy.If you want to be a man, you can fight a bunch of those skeletal knights in that church for awhile to raise your level and/or upgrade your equipment at the nearby blacksmith.

What weapon are you using?

If you're using a shells, make sure it has 100 physical resistance.

What are your stats?

You should be raising your :

endurance to 40

Str or dex (not both) to 40-50

Vitality 30-40

If you wanna use sorcery raise int

If you wanna use miracles raise faith

Pyromancy is nice because it doesn't rely on stats, you simply upgrade the catalyst.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Yea, if you don't have the fortitude to ring the first bell you may want to tuck your tail between your legs , Nancy.

If you want to be a man, you can fight a bunch of those skeletal knights in that church for awhile to raise your level and/or upgrade your equipment at the nearby blacksmith.

I am using the Drake Sword. I have it, a mace, and the winged spear. That's about it. Drake Sword far and away does the most damage.

Shells? You mean shield? If so, I have that round shield you find in the first skeletal grave yard.

What are your stats?

endurance to 40

Vitality 30-40

I am at about 19 END, just enough STR to carry the Drake Sword, and VIT is about 17 or 18. I just hit level 27 or so.

Pyromancy is nice because it doesn't rely on stats, you simply upgrade the catalyst.
Answers embedded above...

I am a Pyromancer.

How do you summon??? I have read the battle is easier if you summon, but I can't figure it out. I returned to human form, thinking that was my issue. But I still can't use the White Soapstone or whatever it is called. So for the life of me, I can't figure out how to summmon?!?

What level should I be before I fight the gargoyles? Do I need to sit and just keep mining that area?

If you're a pyromancer, the gargoyles should be fairly straightforward. They're weak to fire. Having said that, yes this fight is a lot easier if you summon that white knight sunbro guy.

Edit: That said, if you really feel like this part is a brick wall, then you can safely go ahead and quit. This is one of the easy boss fights. The game hasn't gotten hard yet. If you've gotten to this point and you don't like the game, you won't like what comes after.

If you're a pyromancer, the gargoyles should be fairly straightforward. They're weak to fire. Having said that, yes this fight is a lot easier if you summon that white knight sunbro guy.

Edit: That said, if you really feel like this part is a brick wall, then you can safely go ahead and quit. This is one of the easy boss fights. The game hasn't gotten hard yet. If you've gotten to this point and you don't like the game, you won't like what comes after.
You can actually summon both Solaire AND Lautrec for that fight and the Gaping Dragon.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Yea, if you don't have the fortitude to ring the first bell you may want to tuck your tail between your legs , Nancy.

If you want to be a man, you can fight a bunch of those skeletal knights in that church for awhile to raise your level and/or upgrade your equipment at the nearby blacksmith.

I am using the Drake Sword. I have it, a mace, and the winged spear. That's about it. Drake Sword far and away does the most damage.

Shells? You mean shield? If so, I have that round shield you find in the first skeletal grave yard.

What are your stats?

endurance to 40

Vitality 30-40

I am at about 19 END, just enough STR to carry the Drake Sword, and VIT is about 17 or 18. I just hit level 27 or so.

Answers embedded above...I am a Pyromancer.

How do you summon??? I have read the battle is easier if you summon, but I can't figure it out. I returned to human form, thinking that was my issue. But I still can't use the White Soapstone or whatever it is called. So for the life of me, I can't figure out how to summmon?!?

What level should I be before I fight the gargoyles? Do I need to sit and just keep mining that area?
Well you can defeat the gargoyles fairly easy and you are at a good level...

For as great of a game this is they sure do a piss poor job of explaining things to you... Here is the gist on summoning.....

You MUST be human to summon.

While in human form you will see little gold glowing writing on the grown that almost looks Arabic. Those are summon signs....

There are two different types of summon signs but they look the same.

Other players - other players drop their summon signs usually near bosses or bonfires.

NPCs- usually their signs are somewhat near the area boss fight.

Other things you should know - while human - you can be invaded by other players who will try and kill you.

You can summon up to two people at once.

Summoning does make the bosses have more HP and may not be worth it. (This is more to do with summoning the box to help you vs Smoogh and Ornstein later in the game)

Summoning a guy or two vs those gargoyles makes them insanely easy. This is prettying true for every boss fight.

You can heal your fellow players and npcs by healing yourself so keep an dye on their health bars too.

You need to get your endurance up.

Endurance makes it do you can run longer, block stronger attacks and strike your enemies more.

Learn to quickly switch from using your shield to going two handed with your weapon when striking, then quickly switching back to block the next attack.

You can't regenerate stamina while holding the block button down do learn to black when you're getting attacked, don't just hold down block the entire fight.

Learn to repost. (Block and counter) this is easier said then done and took me forever to master but when you get good you become devastating. It pretty much becomes essential in later stages.

Ask any questions you have and ill gladly try to help. I'm not a master at this game yet but I'm getting there.

Thanks for the tips. As for summoning, I never get online when I play, so I don't have to worry about being invaded. Do you have to be online to summon even the NPCs? Because I don't recall seeing any such writing anywhere.

Disregard, found it on the wiki....

Learn to quickly switch from using your shield to going two handed with your weapon when striking, then quickly switching back to block the next attack.

You can't regenerate stamina while holding the block button down do learn to black when you're getting attacked, don't just hold down block the entire fight.
I never switch to two handed. Man, seems those things attack quick. I can't imagine having time to swap in the middle of the fight like that. Also, thanks for the tip. Did not know I couldn't regenerate my stamina while blocking.

The thing with pyromancy is, it seems so slow. By the time my guy is ready to finally let go of the fireball, he gets hit and I lose it, plus take damage for not blocking. He just never seems time to actually fire the things off. And if he does, it's because the enemy is out of range.

Thanks for the tips. As for summoning, I never get online when I play, so I don't have to worry about being invaded. Do you have to be online to summon even the NPCs? Because I don't recall seeing any such writing anywhere.

Disregard, found it on the wiki....
For others; no, you simply have to have talked to them in person and your humanity must be restored.

I never switch to two handed. Man, seems those things attack quick. I can't imagine having time to swap in the middle of the fight like that. Also, thanks for the tip. Did not know I couldn't regenerate my stamina while blocking.The thing with pyromancy is, it seems so slow. By the time my guy is ready to finally let go of the fireball, he gets hit and I lose it, plus take damage for not blocking. He just never seems time to actually fire the things off. And if he does, it's because the enemy is out of range.
Yea, I don't use it because that was my experience.

Sorcery is pretty overpowered but boring as hell, imo.

Yea, I don't use it because that was my experience.

Sorcery is pretty overpowered but boring as hell, imo.
So does that make the pyromancer an underpowered class? Should I be going sorcerer, or building a super-buff melee tank?
No, not at all. And every single character can be a pyromancer because again, it isn't stat based.

As far as what to be that all depends on what weapon you like the best imo. Ill try and explain it the best way I can....

The most important thing to consider is what weapon move set you feel most comfortable with. Find a weapon you like, upgrade it.

Another thing you might not be aware of is weapon scaling. If you look at a weapons properties you will see on the bottom left portion of your screen the strength/dex/int/faith symbols and some have letters next to them. These letters labeled A-D with D being the lest amount of scaling, refer to the weapons ability to cause more damage if you have a high number in that corresponding stat. For example, if a weapon has an A in strength, that means you will get a large bonus to damage the higher your strength is.

So in short, find a weapon you like a lot that does a good amount of damage, upgrade it. Kill things.

A few more hints on leveling...

Dex builds are pretty much universally agreed to be the most powerful but again, this is really about your play style.

So a typical dex build would be like this:

VIT - 40

END - 40

DEX - 50

STR - Just high enough to meet the requirement to wield whatever weapon it is you like

FAITH - Most people put this at 12 for a particular reason that I think has to to with poise but I haven't used any miracles yet so :shrug:

NEVER RAISE resistance.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Yep, tail tucked, I'm done. I went thru my last 5 uses of Humanity, resurrecting and summoning the Knight. Came close once, but died all five tries. Based on what everyone has said, this is an easy battle, so I accept this game is just beyond my reflex and skill level. So throwing it up for sale/trade in the video thread. I'll be out of town a couple weeks. If not takers by the time I get back, I'll go get the $3 or $4 Gamestop will give me for the trade-in. It's simply time to move on to something else.

Okay, got no takers on the game, so pulled it out again today. I spent the time just farming and upgrading and leveling. I bought the seal to the door in Darkroot Garden and opened that sucker. Found I could farm about 6k souls in there about a minute or two, killing three of the enemies near the entrance, so did that. Built up to level 36 or so, and bought a lot of tantinite to upgraded my weapons and armor to +3 or so (until you need chuncks or whatever that you can't buy from the Blacksmith). After doing that, I went back after the Gargoyles. Used my +3 mace with the resin on it. Honestly, the battle took about 30 seconds or less. I took the first one down before the second could even make it across the roof. The second one fell even more quickly. So next, I guess I am on to the Moonlight Butterfly or whatever.

Okay, got no takers on the game, so pulled it out again today. I spent the time just farming and upgrading and leveling. I bought the seal to the door in Darkroot Garden and opened that sucker. Found I could farm about 6k souls in there about a minute or two, killing three of the enemies near the entrance, so did that. Built up to level 36 or so, and bought a lot of tantinite to upgraded my weapons and armor to +3 or so (until you need chuncks or whatever that you can't buy from the Blacksmith). After doing that, I went back after the Gargoyles. Used my +3 mace with the resin on it. Honestly, the battle took about 30 seconds or less. I took the first one down before the second could even make it across the roof. The second one fell even more quickly. So next, I guess I am on to the Moonlight Butterfly or whatever.
good work! The game does reward those willing to grind to make your character stronger. If memory serves, the Butter Fly is not too bad.

good work! The game does reward those willing to grind to make your character stronger. If memory serves, the Butter Fly is not too bad.
Yea, I died once to it but was successful the second try. If I knew a better way to swap sword, shield and bow, I wouldn't have died at all. But I tend to keep bow in a left hand spot, and weapon and pyro in the right. So with the bow in the left, I kept getting hit with missiles before I could get the shield up. Second time, I just tossed flames and whacked her with the melee when she landed. I was out of Eustus by the end. Survived with half a health bar. Need to figure out how to get more/stronger flame spells.How do you upgrade pyromacy flame as a pyromancer?

Yea, I died once to it but was successful the second try. If I knew a better way to swap sword, shield and bow, I wouldn't have died at all. But I tend to keep bow in a left hand spot, and weapon and pyro in the right. So with the bow in the left, I kept getting hit with missiles before I could get the shield up. Second time, I just tossed flames and whacked her with the melee when she landed. I was out of Eustus by the end. Survived with half a health bar. Need to figure out how to get more/stronger flame spells.How do you upgrade pyromacy flame as a pyromancer?
Oh wow you're getting the hang of things now!

I've put this down down for NCAA and GTAV but I keep telling myself to pick it back up before my skills diminish or forget all the paths and shortcuts.

Oh just a price of advice - getting a devine weapon will be epically helpful in the catacombs (past the graveyard)

Oh just a price of advice - getting a devine weapon will be epically helpful in the catacombs (past the graveyard)
I keep waiting to find the next great thing. But truth be told, I am still wearing my starting armor and wielding the Drake Sword and Culdeus Shield most of the time. In other words, everything I started with. I realize though that I really am not to far in to the game despite the time I have spent with it. So I really haven't gone deep enough to find stuff I imagine. Before leaving the area where I just killed the Moonlight Butterfly, I want to take a few shots at getting the Elite Knight Armor set. If nothing else, just to see it.

I keep waiting to find the next great thing. But truth be told, I am still wearing my starting armor and wielding the Drake Sword and Culdeus Shield most of the time. In other words, everything I started with. I realize though that I really am not to far in to the game despite the time I have spent with it. So I really haven't gone deep enough to find stuff I imagine. Before leaving the area where I just killed the Moonlight Butterfly, I want to take a few shots at getting the Elite Knight Armor set. If nothing else, just to see it.
There are tons a armor sets but truth be told, there isn't much difference between them. You decide on your playstyle. If your more of a tank, use the heavy stuff but if you're better at running and dodging you may want to go light.

Kill the merchant in the undead berg and raise the Uchigatana to +5 and then upgrade to lightening. That should get you all the way through to you find a weapon you like best.

Personally I prefer the Black Knight Weapons. Right now I'm rocking the Black Knight Spear and I'm hitting for over a thousand.

Oh- try to avoid all Black Knights until you get the gold covetous ring in Sens fortress. That ring raises your chances at rare drops and black knight weapons.

Kill the merchant in the undead berg and raise the Uchigatana to +5 and then upgrade to lightening. That should get you all the way through to you find a weapon you like best.
Really? Wow, I figured killing merchants, or any NPCs for that matter, was a big no-no.

Just ran in to my first three assassins. They kicked my butt. Couldn't even get a strike in.

Really? Wow, I figured killing merchants, or any NPCs for that matter, was a big no-no.

Just ran in to my first three assassins. They kicked my butt. Couldn't even get a strike in.
You need to fight those guys 1 at a time. If you can, hit one of them through the door before they ambush you. Then just wait the other 2 out.

I must warn you, the Capra Demon at the end of the pathway the assassins are on is a MAJORLY tough fight by yourself. Once you go through the fog door, he charges you with 2 of those demon dogs at his feet. If you can, get past him and up the stairs to the left as you enter the room, then kill the 2 dogs. The demon will follow you up, but you can either continue to the right once you are up the stairs, or jump down.

The fight is a WHOLE lot easier if your stamina is high enough to block a strike from him, but you need at least 25 or 30 plus a good shield to do that.

Good luck.

Really? Wow, I figured killing merchants, or any NPCs for that matter, was a big no-no.Just ran in to my first three assassins. They kicked my butt. Couldn't even get a strike in.
You need to fight those guys 1 at a time. If you can, hit one of them through the door before they ambush you. Then just wait the other 2 out.

I must warn you, the Capra Demon at the end of the pathway the assassins are on is a MAJORLY tough fight by yourself. Once you go through the fog door, he charges you with 2 of those demon dogs at his feet. If you can, get past him and up the stairs to the left as you enter the room, then kill the 2 dogs. The demon will follow you up, but you can either continue to the right once you are up the stairs, or jump down.

The fight is a WHOLE lot easier if your stamina is high enough to block a strike from him, but you need at least 25 or 30 plus a good shield to do that.

Good luck.
Yup - He and almost all the bosses are easy if you have enough endurance and poise to block their attacks. Takes the dogs out first.

MAKE SURE YOU EQUIP A SHEILD WITH 100% physical resistance.

I don't even use shields that don't have those stats.

I know my poise is zero. I read all light armor doesn't give poise. It's funny, I seem to be all or nothing with this game. Like in the Darkroot Area, I ran through and mowed down all those huge stone knights or whatever to get the Elite Knight Armor. Then I went back, and the first one took me out. I am either on my game, or completely off it.

I know my poise is zero. I read all light armor doesn't give poise. It's funny, I seem to be all or nothing with this game. Like in the Darkroot Area, I ran through and mowed down all those huge stone knights or whatever to get the Elite Knight Armor. Then I went back, and the first one took me out. I am either on my game, or completely off it.
Wait until you die with 50k souls and on your way back you get killed by a super easy guy that normally NEVER kills you or you step off a ledge.

Sometimes Ive had to literally stand up and make sure Im in the zone.

Good luck.
Took him out on the second try. First try, I didn't get the dogs dead quick enough and just got cornered. Second time, took them out, then pretty much pyro'd his butt until he died. Didn't really seem that difficult. Oh, and I managed to recover my meager souls from my first death during the battle. So I didn't lose anything.

I farmed the black slimes in the depths for quite a while and really upgraded my weapons and armor. I got the Uchigitana or whatever up to +10, same with my shield. Armors all all around +7 or +8. Went in and took on the Gaping Dragon. I had seen a video on his charging attack that made this part ridiculously easy. Next up, the Stray Demon.

I farmed the black slimes in the depths for quite a while and really upgraded my weapons and armor. I got the Uchigitana or whatever up to +10, same with my shield. Armors all all around +7 or +8. Went in and took on the Gaping Dragon. I had seen a video on his charging attack that made this part ridiculously easy. Next up, the Stray Demon.
I'm pretty sure I died 20+ times to Stray Demon the first time I took him on. Most of the time I lasted like 20 seconds or so thanks to his aoe attack. Tough boss for a lowbie.

I'm pretty sure I died 20+ times to Stray Demon the first time I took him on. Most of the time I lasted like 20 seconds or so thanks to his aoe attack. Tough boss for a lowbie.
Yep, sounds about right. There were times I didn't even get off a single attack before I died. Eventually I figured the pattern out. Certainly wasn't easy, the bastage would never let you get any Estus use. But I got him. Gave up a lot of built up humanity though. Just couldn't recover it each and every death.

Glad you're still playing.

I picked this back up yesterday after putting it down ever since GTAV came out. I was concerned I wouldn't remember where I was and would just lose interest.

I'm in the Dukes Archives .... Question for you Ivan....

Death the Scaleless.... The first encounter you can't win I get that. Now that I died do I go right back up to fight him again or am I supposed to go someplace else to fight him? I'm asking because I have seen videos of people fighting Seath in a different environment and Zi don't even know where to start trying to attack him.

Glad you're still playing.

I picked this back up yesterday after putting it down ever since GTAV came out. I was concerned I wouldn't remember where I was and would just lose interest.

I'm in the Dukes Archives .... Question for you Ivan....

Death the Scaleless.... The first encounter you can't win I get that. Now that I died do I go right back up to fight him again or am I supposed to go someplace else to fight him? I'm asking because I have seen videos of people fighting Seath in a different environment and Zi don't even know where to start trying to attack him.
You have to go to a different place to fight him. IIRC, you need to work your way through the archives until you get to a green, open forest-like area with big crystal golems or whatever they are. Then you pass through a crystal area with invisible bridges, and then you get to the boss fight with Seath.

Was on a pretty good roll but then work interceded and I haven't had a chance to play in two days. Really want to take on Havel (?) while I was playing consistently.

With well over 250 hours in, I am finally at the very lost boss, Gwyn. All those hours include several restarts and a lot of time looking at youtube vids and the wikis. Before I beat Gwyn I am doing all my upgrades and getting many of the achievements as well as some other preparations for NG+.

Whats crazy, is with all those hours invested in and all the deaths I CANT WAIT TO START NG+!!!!!

I know I say this every 10th post but if anybody is on the fence about this game and you like RPG's then you are really missing out on what might be my favorite game of all time.

ALSO - for those who say this game sounds so difficult that it isn't worth it, that simply isn't true. Now that I know the game intimately I can honestly say that is you take advantage of the summoning - its a borderline cakewalk.

I have gotten better, and some parts have gotten easier. But I wouldn't call it anywhere near a cakewalk. I guess maybe after seven starts though, you know all the tricks and tips for beating each boss, which probably makes it easier.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
With well over 250 hours in, I am finally at the very lost boss, Gwyn. All those hours include several restarts and a lot of time looking at youtube vids and the wikis. Before I beat Gwyn I am doing all my upgrades and getting many of the achievements as well as some other preparations for NG+.

Whats crazy, is with all those hours invested in and all the deaths I CANT WAIT TO START NG+!!!!!

I know I say this every 10th post but if anybody is on the fence about this game and you like RPG's then you are really missing out on what might be my favorite game of all time.

ALSO - for those who say this game sounds so difficult that it isn't worth it, that simply isn't true. Now that I know the game intimately I can honestly say that is you take advantage of the summoning - its a borderline cakewalk.
I agree with you that the difficulty is mostly overstated, but some of the boss fights on NG+ and beyond (Ornstein & Smough and Four Kings in particular) are tough as hell.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

I agree with you that the difficulty is mostly overstated, but some of the boss fights on NG+ and beyond (Ornstein & Smough and Four Kings in particular) are tough as hell.
Smough and Orntein were by far the hardest for me. Incredibly rewarding though.

TxBuckeye said:
I have gotten better, and some parts have gotten easier. But I wouldn't call it anywhere near a cakewalk. I guess maybe after seven starts though, you know all the tricks and tips for beating each boss, which probably makes it easier.
Oh absolutely. Its definitely been a war of attrition. I have died a lot. I still die a lot and I'm level 101 with fully suped up weapons and armor.

But to be fair, I did say if you take advantage of summoning other players in to help you. The game goes from having to be careful at every step to - two guys going into a berserker rage throughout whats left of the level.

Having checked to see what else I may have missed - it appears I still have to finish the Royal Woods DLC.

You know, except for being able to farm souls in the painted world, the DLC was some of the worst parts of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread