What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark Souls :Remastered :YOU DIED: (2 Viewers)

Leeroy Jenkins said:
So this isn't a game I can play 1 hour or so at a time?
You can do that. Once you know what you're doing on NG+, you can zoom through a surprisingly large chunk of the game in 1 hour increments. Your first time through, though, you may need to be content with playing for an hour and not making any actual progress if you're struggling to reach the next bonfire. The thing about this franchise though is that each area feels very hard as you're working your way through it, but once you've gotten the hang of where each enemy is and what their combat patterns are like, you can breeze that that same area on further attempts. Eventually you'll stroll right through it and wonder why you ever found it hard in the first place.

I'd also add that I often play an hour at a time but I'm at a pretty tough area so I play for a bit and give the current boss a few tries before packing it in.

Yes you can only play an hour a day but you want to string the days together.

Just killed the first boss when I was able to string 10 minutes together to play. So yea, an hour is more than long enough for a session. Though I imagine bonfires get less frequent as you go.

I am almost done with The Last of Us on my first play through. Once I am done I am popping this puppy in. I am really looking forward to this game.

I'm at the beach all week and I'm starting to crave some playtime.

Before I left I played another character and I think he's going to be done caster but I haven't decided yet. Fun to just rip and run through the games early areas now that I know them like the back of my hand.

Have spent the whole holiday weekend so far prepping my house for sale. Sitting here today with two painters painting walls and a handyman replacing the wood railing on the patio. My poor PS3 hasn't even been powered since the 10 minute session where I killed the first boss. I'm afraid by the time I get back to the game, I may end up needing to restart just to remember WTF I was doing. I already forgot how about 99% of the controls work. I guess maybe a "Dark Souls PS3 controls" Google search might help.

I simply cannot beat Smough & Ornstein. I give up. Mercy.

I came within 2 hits or beating them the first time and it really hasn't been close since. I'm all out of humanity. I've tried summoning other players but we just get invaded each time. I tried offline not summoning the npc dude. I've tried not summoning him and still no cigar.

I think I'm going to either farm this area for awhile fighting the two huge knights or run back to fire link with my tail tucked between my legs.

I came within 2 hits or beating them the first time and it really hasn't been close since. I'm all out of humanity. I've tried summoning other players but we just get invaded each time. I tried offline not summoning the npc dude. I've tried not summoning him and still no cigar.

I think I'm going to either farm this area for awhile fighting the two huge knights or run back to fire link with my tail tucked between my legs.
They took me forever too until I finally got the hang of constantly running backwards in a circle and being patient.

They took me forever too until I finally got the hang of constantly running backwards in a circle and being patient.
:goodposting:

To the extent that a 40 year old guy has any business being "proud" of a video game accomplishment, I'm proud of the fact that I soloed these guys in NG+ killing Smough first. It took a bunch of tries and mega-Ornstein is a huge PITA, but it was epic when I finally got that guy down.

To the extent that a 40 year old guy has any business being "proud" of a video game accomplishment, I'm proud of the fact that I soloed these guys in NG+ killing Smough first. It took a bunch of tries and mega-Ornstein is a huge PITA, but it was epic when I finally got that guy down.
I soloed them as well after a silly amount of deaths. I forget who is who but I killed the skinny one first. I am not sure if I was proud or relieved :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They get added health if you summon.

What level were you guys? I'm level 59 but I'm pretty gimped as this was my first build and I started as a dex build turned into a heavy armor build who carries a black knight sword .

I'm assuming I can leave and come back? It's been a few weeks with vacation thrown in but I thought I remember getting here wasn't a normal rout. ? Yes , no?

Finally got a chance to play a bit today! Has been like a week. Went to the next area after the intro. Tried to fight the skeletons in the little cemetary area and got my butt handed to me numerous times. Finally gave up and went the other way. Died a few times to fire guys until I sort of figured it out. Now I am doing ok. Got my first five or six level ups. Found the stairs down. Saved there as I didn't have any more time. But after getting through the intro area only dying once, this second area reminded me just how brutal this game can be. And just how bad I am at it!

Finally got a chance to play a bit today! Has been like a week. Went to the next area after the intro. Tried to fight the skeletons in the little cemetary area and got my butt handed to me numerous times. Finally gave up and went the other way. Died a few times to fire guys until I sort of figured it out. Now I am doing ok. Got my first five or six level ups. Found the stairs down. Saved there as I didn't have any more time. But after getting through the intro area only dying once, this second area reminded me just how brutal this game can be. And just how bad I am at it!
Don't feel too bad. Almost every one walks into the cemetery area early in the game, sees the skeletons and thinks, hey these are going to be easy, and then gets slaughtered, only to then realize "I guess this is the wrong direction" :)

Don't feel too bad. Almost every one walks into the cemetery area early in the game, sees the skeletons and thinks, hey these are going to be easy, and then gets slaughtered, only to then realize "I guess this is the wrong direction" :)
Oh, good. I thought everyone would be saying "Oh yea, took those dudes out no problem." Now I just have to wait another week to see if I can find an hour to play.

Yeah, cemetery is rough. I don't usually tackle those guys until I am at least level 20 or so. Definitely always suicide run in to get the claymore and winged spear first thing every game, though. :)

Yeah, cemetery is rough. I don't usually tackle those guys until I am at least level 20 or so. Definitely always suicide run in to get the claymore and winged spear first thing every game, though. :)
What? Feel free to go in to detail. I went after what I thought was a sword on a suicide run in there. Turns out it was just the sword the skeleton was going to use to kick my ###.

What? Feel free to go in to detail. I went after what I thought was a sword on a suicide run in there. Turns out it was just the sword the skeleton was going to use to kick my ###.
In the cemetery there is a shield, the Claymore and the Zweihander.

All three are decent. I used the Claymore for a bit.

There's also a winged spear in the cemetery. I think the big guy is guarding it, but you should be able to grab it before he and his buddies kill you.

There's also a winged spear in the cemetery. I think the big guy is guarding it, but you should be able to grab it before he and his buddies kill you.
Yea, I cheated a bit and looked at the wiki and see the winged spear and shield. Question is, I turned around from the bonfire and went up a narrow path and killed a bunch of dudes, armored undead types. I went through a white shroud in to the next area and killed some more. That bonfre was where I was able to level up and save. Am I free to walk back to the cemetery from there to get those things? Or did I pretty much miss out? After looking at the wiki page, it amazes me how much stuff I missed in that area where the crow drops you. I mean, I thought I looked around, but I barely scratched the surface in there.

Yea, I cheated a bit and looked at the wiki and see the winged spear and shield. Question is, I turned around from the bonfire and went up a narrow path and killed a bunch of dudes, armored undead types. I went through a white shroud in to the next area and killed some more. That bonfre was where I was able to level up and save. Am I free to walk back to the cemetery from there to get those things? Or did I pretty much miss out? After looking at the wiki page, it amazes me how much stuff I missed in that area where the crow drops you. I mean, I thought I looked around, but I barely scratched the surface in there.
You can return to any area later, even the area you began in where the crow picked you up! ;)

Yea, I cheated a bit and looked at the wiki .
Just a nit but I would not think of it as cheating. Unlike most games, Dark Souls almost requires that you do some research while you play because so little in game information is provided.

In the cemetery there is a shield, the Claymore and the Zweihander.

All three are decent. I used the Claymore for a bit.
My bad, by Claymore, I meant Zwiehander. Yeah, by the gravestones where the two MONSTER skeletons get up, the first one that is more to the left is the zwiehander, and the one that is more to the right is the winged spear.

Both are pretty good weapons - the winged spear has a 13 STR / 15 DEX requirement, and does fairly decent damage. Good for hiding behind a shield and poking enemies with. The Zwiehander requires like 24 STR and 10 DEX, but it is worth the effort. Once you get used to swinging that bad boy around, it does some serious damage. Just remember that it is EXTREMELY slow.

The claymore you get on the bridge where the red dragon is at. You basically have to entice him to land on the middle of the bridge, then IMMEDIATELY run past his claw and try to make it to the room that he usually stands on top of. Keep by the walls to your immediate right as you come in the room, as he will be breathing fire into the room. But after a little bit, he flies away and you are free to grab the 3 items that are on the bridge (don't stop and try and grab em as you run past...you will have all the time in the world once the dragon leaves). And don't worry...he WILL come back. So you can still use the soul-farming trick with him.

Just a nit but I would not think of it as cheating. Unlike most games, Dark Souls almost requires that you do some research while you play because so little in game information is provided.

This game was really designed under the assumption that players would look some stuff up on the wiki. There are entire levels of the game that you would never even find on your own.

This game was really designed under the assumption that players would look some stuff up on the wiki. There are entire levels of the game that you would never even find on your own.
Yes - And you earn everything in this game. You can watch all the cheats you want - there is no getting out of the work to accomplish the kill.

STILL stuck on Smough & Ornstein.

I've since upgraded my Black Knight Sword to +5 which is hitting for 330 +115 ATM. I deal an incredible amount of damage. I also just stumbled upon Havels set of armor so I got that going for me. I'm up to level 61 now.

I'm getting close. Clearly soloing them is the way to go.

STILL stuck on Smough & Ornstein.

I've since upgraded my Black Knight Sword to +5 which is hitting for 330 +115 ATM. I deal an incredible amount of damage. I also just stumbled upon Havels set of armor so I got that going for me. I'm up to level 61 now.

I'm getting close. Clearly soloing them is the way to go.
Calling in Solaire helps a ton if you are struggling, if you kill Smough first Ornstein is kind of a breeze if you can duck behind pillars reliably, he gets stuck and shoots lightning bolts that can't hit you.

Side note:

Ornstein's Armor and Gloves with Giant Helm and Channelers Leggings looks absolutely sick. 41 Weight with Grass Crest Shield and Greatsword of Artorias and offhand Pyromancy Flame.

For some reason I keep trying to find a weapon I like as much as the Black Knight Sword but I can't - it simply deals too much damage not to use.

You can return to any area later, even the area you began in where the crow picked you up! ;)
When you say later, does that imply I just can't walk back now, and I missed out on the spear for early game use? Or next time I load (whenever that may be), I can just walk back immediately? Like I said, I just went through one shrouded area, the one where a dragon landed on a bridge and then immediately flew off after scaring the crap out of me.

When you say later, does that imply I just can't walk back now, and I missed out on the spear for early game use? Or next time I load (whenever that may be), I can just walk back immediately? Like I said, I just went through one shrouded area, the one where a dragon landed on a bridge and then immediately flew off after scaring the crap out of me.
Yes. You can always just stroll back to Firelink Shrine. You'll have to re-clear the enemies in between there and wherever you are now, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Oh and just an FYI - don't attack npc's unless you really want them dead - if you attack them they are forever hostile forwards you until you kill them.

I accidentally attacked the guy at fire link shrine with one of my builds and I could r get away from the dude and I wasn't powerful enough to beat him - I had to start over.

Oh and just an FYI - don't attack npc's unless you really want them dead - if you attack them they are forever hostile forwards you until you kill them.

I accidentally attacked the guy at fire link shrine with one of my builds and I could r get away from the dude and I wasn't powerful enough to beat him - I had to start over.
Lots of people who played Demon's Souls made the mistake of accidentally attacking Stockpile Thomas -- if you sit the controller down a little too hard while facing him, you'll accidentally initiate an R2 or L2 attack. This was game-breaking because he was the guy in the nexus who stored all of your stuff. I did something similar on one playthrough unintentionally attacking one of the magic trainers, but that was nowhere near as bad a mistake as sinking 40+ hours into the game and aggo-ing the guy who was holding all your equipment.

Yes. You can always just stroll back to Firelink Shrine. You'll have to re-clear the enemies in between there and wherever you are now, but that shouldn't be a big deal.
Cool. Wife taking a nap after an exasparating day of house hunting. I think I can sneak in a little play time.

Ill give you a couple of vague hints....

If you're in the Undead Berg, very close by is a hidden merchant who sells bows, arrows and a pretty decent shield. He has another weapon he won't sell you...

There are two ways to get the dragon to move....

Found a merchant. Didn't see any bows, just arrows and quills. Maybe I was doing the menu wrong. Lost about three thousand souls to the Black Night. Went down some stairs (up was the shroud to the next area) and found something scary looking. Ran away without fighting it, whatever it was. So I was at the shroud to the next boss fight. Didn't do it, saving it for later. I need to go hit that merchant up again.

Oh, I did manage to punk most of the skeletons in the cemetary. Even a giant one. Last battle I triggered one giant one and three minions. Couldn't get them to come forward one at a time, so gave up. But I think I cleared the cemetary. Now I just need to level up to use the spear. That's why losing the 3k hurt.

Found a merchant. Didn't see any bows, just arrows and quills. Maybe I was doing the menu wrong. Lost about three thousand souls to the Black Night. Went down some stairs (up was the shroud to the next area) and found something scary looking. Ran away without fighting it, whatever it was. So I was at the shroud to the next boss fight. Didn't do it, saving it for later. I need to go hit that merchant up again.

Oh, I did manage to punk most of the skeletons in the cemetary. Even a giant one. Last battle I triggered one giant one and three minions. Couldn't get them to come forward one at a time, so gave up. But I think I cleared the cemetary. Now I just need to level up to use the spear. That's why losing the 3k hurt.
The merchant does have a bow, its a shortbow and its in the weapons tab. The guy is also a ####. Once you have everything you need from him I recommend killing him, he has a very nice weapon.

I did it!!!! I finly beat Smough & Ornstein!!!!!

I bet it's taken me about 25-30 tries.

Now I really don't have a clue where to go next ? Ooooo - the place with the ghosts. I lowered the water a while ago but got my ### handed to me and left for the undead berg.

That was interesting. Why did the guy from fire link shrine randomly star attacking me in New Londo?
He hollowed. If you talk to him throughout the game he will keep revealing that his biggest fear is going hollow and talks about how its inevitable.

Thats the reason he never leaves the shrine is because he is afraid of death.

That was interesting. Why did the guy from fire link shrine randomly star attacking me in New Londo?
He hollowed. If you talk to him throughout the game he will keep revealing that his biggest fear is going hollow and talks about how its inevitable.Thats the reason he never leaves the shrine is because he is afraid of death.
Was worried I glitched hit him.

I have now placed the lord vessel and in the library. Enemies hit hard.

I'm shocked but very happy to learn that I can now warp from bonfires now!

Ok so help me out here veterans...

RaylanGivens

Level 73

Vitality 31

Attunement 10

Endurance 23

Strength 32

Dexterity 27

Resistance 10

Intelligence 10

Faith 11

Currently rocking the Black Knight Sword+5, Havel armor set w/o is his shield.

I know pyromancy is over powered but I could never get used to how slow it is to throw a fireball so I've yet to play with anything other the fireball and my current build uses a soul arrow - only for pulling.

The whole covenant system confuses me too. I'm not sure which one I should be in or why.

Does anybody have any advice or ideas on which way I should start dumping points into? Should I just pour everything into vitality and since I hit for a ton just be a damage dealing damage absorber? It's working so far.

The return on Str & Dex costs double after 27/28 so the return is poor.

Again I know nothing about magic other then int is for sorcery and the other schools you just raise the catalyst, right?

RaylanGivens

Level 73

Vitality 31

Attunement 10

Endurance 23

Strength 32

Dexterity 27

Resistance 10

Intelligence 10

Faith 11

I know pyromancy is over powered but I could never get used to how slow it is to throw a fireball so I've yet to play with anything other the fireball and my current build uses a soul arrow - only for pulling.

The whole covenant system confuses me too. I'm not sure which one I should be in or why.

Does anybody have any advice or ideas on which way I should start dumping points into? Should I just pour everything into vitality and since I hit for a ton just be a damage dealing damage absorber? It's working so far.

Again I know nothing about magic other then int is for sorcery and the other schools you just raise the catalyst, right?
I would have stopped investing in STR and DEX a while ago and started pouring points into END.

You reach maximum stamina at 40 END, should be a bench mark for practically every build as it also gives you 80 total burden capacity, with the Ring of Favor it will boost your burden to 96 and your max stamina to 192 (from 160 which is the soft cap)

STR and DEX scaling is great, but END provides so much more gives survivability by allowing for better dodge as well as the ability to wear better armors, there is also an offensive advantage in that you get more attacks before having to recover.

In general, benchmarks for characters to attain:

-40 End

-15 Res (only if you are having trouble, none if you aren't)

-40 Dex if you are going for scaling (enough to equip your weapon of choice if you aren't)

-40 Str if you are going for scaling (enough to equip your weapon of choice if you aren't)

-50 Int if you are going for spells (none if you are not)

-50 Fai if you are going for miracles (none if you are not)

-Rest into vitality.

The importance of weight class can't be overstated, if your equip burden is less than 25% of the cap you will walk and run much faster and be able to roll incredibly quickly as well as recover. If your burden is less than 50% of the cap but above 25% you will walk and run average speeds and roll much slower. +50%-99% should never be done, your asking to get wrecked by even common enemies, +100% is only good for certain builds that use iron skin and in general are absolutely horrible to play.

RaylanGivens

Level 73

Vitality 31

Attunement 10

Endurance 23

Strength 32

Dexterity 27

Resistance 10

Intelligence 10

Faith 11

I would have stopped investing in STR and DEX a while ago and started pouring points into END.You reach maximum stamina at 40 END, should be a bench mark for practically every build as it also gives you 80 total burden capacity, with the Ring of Favor it will boost your burden to 96 and your max stamina to 192 (from 160 which is the soft cap)

STR and DEX scaling is great, but END provides so much more gives survivability by allowing for better dodge as well as the ability to wear better armors, there is also an offensive advantage in that you get more attacks before having to recover.

In general, benchmarks for characters to attain:

-40 End

-15 Res (only if you are having trouble, none if you aren't)

-40 Dex if you are going for scaling (enough to equip your weapon of choice if you aren't)

-40 Str if you are going for scaling (enough to equip your weapon of choice if you aren't)

-50 Int if you are going for spells (none if you are not)

-50 Fai if you are going for miracles (none if you are not)

-Rest into vitality.

The importance of weight class can't be overstated, if your equip burden is less than 25% of the cap you will walk and run much faster and be able to roll incredibly quickly as well as recover. If your burden is less than 50% of the cap but above 25% you will walk and run average speeds and roll much slower. +50%-99% should never be done, your asking to get wrecked by even common enemies, +100% is only good for certain builds that use iron skin and in general are absolutely horrible to play.
Ill get on it Hoss! I murder everything in just a few hits so manuverbility hasn't been an issue yet. It would be nice to fun faster.

I wanted to add that I only took Dex that high because my I was he'll bent on getting the Great Sythe because I've heard how bad ### it is.

I went through hell and back VERY early in the game to get that thing and it sucks donkey nuts. I have it at +5 fire is it still hits for under 200.

All I read about the Black Knight Sword is how it's not that good and so many other weapons are better. :bs:

Actually took a day off from house hunting and turned my PS3 on today. Wow was I rusty! Died a ton in the Undead Burg but then warmed up. Got my skills up so I could use the Winged Spear and started tearing it up a bit. Killed the Black Knight (though I lost 3700 souls when I died to him and didn't make it back). Sword is useless to me but still, I killed him! Then I went threw the shroud and killed the Taurus Demon on only my second try. Went ot the merchant and got a bow, though I have yet to use it. So, I haven't really donemuch int he game. But for the most part, I am enjoying it and haven't really minded gettng killed yet. As some of yu have said, each time I die, I realized what I did wrong and that it was my fault.

Actually took a day off from house hunting and turned my PS3 on today. Wow was I rusty! Died a ton in the Undead Burg but then warmed up. Got my skills up so I could use the Winged Spear and started tearing it up a bit. Killed the Black Knight (though I lost 3700 souls when I died to him and didn't make it back). Sword is useless to me but still, I killed him! Then I went threw the shroud and killed the Taurus Demon on only my second try. Went ot the merchant and got a bow, though I have yet to use it. So, I haven't really donemuch int he game. But for the most part, I am enjoying it and haven't really minded gettng killed yet. As some of yu have said, each time I die, I realized what I did wrong and that it was my fault.
:thumbup:

Yea, that dude at the bottom of those stair near where you fought the Black Knight - Likely gonna be awhile before you can beat him.

The Merchant does sell bows - which reminds me....

Bows can be aimed (RB draws the bow - LB goes to first person view).

Crossbows cannot be aimed. (Uses bolts, not arrows)

HINT - You can get a lot of cool weapons in this game by chopping off the tails of bosses. There are two ways to get the tail (and a really cool item) from that red dragon, but one of the methods is pretty underhanded. :whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread