What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark Souls :Remastered :YOU DIED: (1 Viewer)

'Bonfire said:
So what makes this one different from other dungeon crawlers? Is it just a well executed one or does it really stand out because of xyz?
The sword/shield combat is the best ever put into a videogame (but it's not difficult to use, either.) The game is also pretty unique in design - it's hard, but in a good way. You do the level over and over until you beat it. If you die, you go back to the beginning, and all enemies are respawned. It sounds brutal, but it really isn't. If you've ever played a Mario-type sidescroller, it's similar to that in that it's actually fun to replay the level and get back to where you were and try something else. Also, the levels are actually much smaller than they first appear. The first time through undeadburg took me a half an hour, slowly creeping and being cautious... then the knight killed me. The second time took 20 minutes... by the time I got to the boss (and died), I could whip through it in four minutes (enjoying every kill) and get right back to him. It can be addicting.

Finally beat the Taurus Demon and got the Drake sword off the Dragon. Took a little farming (and that's not a great farming area) to get my DEX to 12 so I could use the bow effectively and shoot his tail. I had previously pumped STR, END, and VIT for my Pyro. But now it's all good - I'm about level 15 (I think), 16 STR (one hand Drake Sword), 12 DEX (can use the bow decently), and good VIT and END - ok, now we're rolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone give me some tips on how to effectively maneuver when melee fighting? Or maybe link to a video? I feel like improving a little will go a long way towards not running out of my flask so often. I find it hard to make progress because I'm always having to go back to a fire to fill up.

I also got the Drake sword. I can now kill those black night guys. I cant beat the stone samurai or the bel tower twin gargoyles. Should I just level and keep trying?If I kindle a fire, does it stay kindled forever? If I move to my next bonfire and kindle that one, will the previous stay kindled?
If the stone guy is who I think you're talking about(bottom of a tower behind a locked door), he's going to OHK you if you're at a fairly low level. You can beat him, but you have to chip away at his health while perfectly dodging his attacks. It might be better to come back and deal with him later -- I was able to take him out with 2-3 Great Combustions, but that was after I leveled up my pyromancy a lot. The the gargoyles, have you tried going in human form and summoning the NPC? He helps a lot since he distracts attention away from you. Also, the gargoyles are apparently weak to fire -- you might try firebombs if you still have any. Kindled bonfires stay kindled forever. They even carry over into your next playthrough (with the same character, of course).

I also got the Drake sword. I can now kill those black night guys. I cant beat the stone samurai or the bel tower twin gargoyles. Should I just level and keep trying?If I kindle a fire, does it stay kindled forever? If I move to my next bonfire and kindle that one, will the previous stay kindled?
The gargoyles are pretty easy once you get the pattern down. First of all cut the tail off of the 1st Gar., you will get a sick looking axe. just make sure you get it, dont worry about dying. Then when you come back the key is to take the one down as far as possible until the other one comes. Once the 2nd comes a run all the way down to the other side of the roof top as soon as he breathes fire, heal up if needed and wait till they come to you. Run towards the weaker one, take him out and repeat the process. Each time you kindle a bone fire, it stays kindled and you will get 10 estus flasks when you rest vs 5. Also make sure you get the heal spell from the cleric in firelink. This will also make life much easier.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to effectively maneuver when melee fighting? Or maybe link to a video? I feel like improving a little will go a long way towards not running out of my flask so often. I find it hard to make progress because I'm always having to go back to a fire to fill up.
I find a shield is a must. Unlike many other games, a shield in this game is actually very useful, and goes a long way in keeping you alive. Many new players think it's like other RPG's and immediately dual wield or have a two handed sword for maximum damage - that doesn't work too well here (save for bosses, where a shield is usually useless). For lower level enemies, let them attack your shield, and you counterattack. Dodge Roll - you have to roll for some of the stronger enemies.Lure enemies out - fighting three enemies (etc) is suicide at low levels. Lure one or two to chase you, kill them, then go kill the others.Missle guys (firebombs / crossbows) are a pain as you are fighting melee. Get rid of missle guys first, or stay out of their line of fire until you dispatch the melee guys.Kick. It disrupts them for a second, and gives an opening.

I find a shield is a must. Unlike many other games, a shield in this game is actually very useful, and goes a long way in keeping you alive. Many new players think it's like other RPG's and immediately dual wield or have a two handed sword for maximum damage - that doesn't work too well here (save for bosses, where a shield is usually useless). For lower level enemies, let them attack your shield, and you counterattack. Dodge Roll - you have to roll for some of the stronger enemies.Lure enemies out - fighting three enemies (etc) is suicide at low levels. Lure one or two to chase you, kill them, then go kill the others.Missle guys (firebombs / crossbows) are a pain as you are fighting melee. Get rid of missle guys first, or stay out of their line of fire until you dispatch the melee guys.Kick. It disrupts them for a second, and gives an opening.
All great advice. The only thing I would add is to get good at auto targeting (locking on) an enemy as well as disengaging the auto lock and re-engaging.

Finished my first playthrough yesterday and started on NG+. Like the original, you really realize how short many of the levels are when you're replaying them knowing exactly what's coming up, especially when you have fully-upgrade equipment. I think it took me under an hour to get from my cell to killing the gargoyles. Still lots of fun though.

Dear God though, I had a fairly easy time with Sens Fortress the first time around, but this time I died over and over and over, almost always to those guilotine things. The camera is such that I can't quite judge where I am relative to their swing path, so I often end up getting knocked off the bridges despite knowing exactly what I'm supposed to do. Finally made it, but it was a huge chore. This is one spot that could have been better-designed, though I like it in theory.

Finished my first playthrough yesterday and started on NG+. Like the original, you really realize how short many of the levels are when you're replaying them knowing exactly what's coming up, especially when you have fully-upgrade equipment. I think it took me under an hour to get from my cell to killing the gargoyles. Still lots of fun though.Dear God though, I had a fairly easy time with Sens Fortress the first time around, but this time I died over and over and over, almost always to those guilotine things. The camera is such that I can't quite judge where I am relative to their swing path, so I often end up getting knocked off the bridges despite knowing exactly what I'm supposed to do. Finally made it, but it was a huge chore. This is one spot that could have been better-designed, though I like it in theory.
On the NG+, do the bad guys get harder than the original run through?

Finished my first playthrough yesterday and started on NG+. Like the original, you really realize how short many of the levels are when you're replaying them knowing exactly what's coming up, especially when you have fully-upgrade equipment. I think it took me under an hour to get from my cell to killing the gargoyles. Still lots of fun though.Dear God though, I had a fairly easy time with Sens Fortress the first time around, but this time I died over and over and over, almost always to those guilotine things. The camera is such that I can't quite judge where I am relative to their swing path, so I often end up getting knocked off the bridges despite knowing exactly what I'm supposed to do. Finally made it, but it was a huge chore. This is one spot that could have been better-designed, though I like it in theory.
Yes. Enemies hit harder and you get more souls for everything you kill.

I just miraculously defeated the Moonlight Butterfly. How far am I into the game?

I just miraculously defeated the Moonlight Butterfly. How far am I into the game?
You just started

You just started
Sweet! Made it back to the Bell Tower Gargoyles and managed to get the axe, but couldn't manage to defeat them after about 30 tries. I'm going to forgo all those souls left up there and go back and re-enforce my Estus flasks, level and try again later.

On the gargoyles, have you tried going in human form and summoning the NPC guy? He makes this fight a lot easier than it would be otherwise.

Also, I think they're weak to fire, so if you have any firebombs to lob at them, that might help too.

On the gargoyles, have you tried going in human form and summoning the NPC guy? He makes this fight a lot easier than it would be otherwise.

Also, I think they're weak to fire, so if you have any firebombs to lob at them, that might help too.
Haven't done the summoning thing yet. I don't have any humanity left and I have been playing as a hollow for 98% of my games since I die so much. I fear I will become human, then get on the roof and die before I figure out how to summon the sun guy. Is is blatantly obvious on how to summon the guy? Don't I need to use the white soapstone thingy?

I did summon the Sun dude and he helped immensely. Still barely got out of there....

This game is a little odd in that I'm not even sure where to go half the time. You also have to REALLY pay attention as if you don't you will miss a lot of areas/paths.

Just picked up the game for $40 an hour ago. I am preparing to die!!

I am going to choose the pyromancer as my character and then build him into a melee tank.

Any recommendation for what gift I should take at the beginning of the game?

This game is a little odd in that I'm not even sure where to go half the time. You also have to REALLY pay attention as if you don't you will miss a lot of areas/paths.
There are a couple of areas in this game that I would never have found in a million years on my own if I hadn't seen them on a wiki. Specifically I never would have found The Great Hollow or Ash Lake, and even if I somehow noticed the entrance to The Painted World of Ariamis I never would have figured out how to get in. Hell, I even managed to completely miss Lost Izalith the first time I was nearby.

There are a couple of areas in this game that I would never have found in a million years on my own if I hadn't seen them on a wiki. Specifically I never would have found The Great Hollow or Ash Lake, and even if I somehow noticed the entrance to The Painted World of Ariamis I never would have figured out how to get in. Hell, I even managed to completely miss Lost Izalith the first time I was nearby.
The Master Key

I just got Demon Souls from game fly and I am liking it. I am not understanding a lot of it but I am digging it. I think I am going to buy it.

Finally beat this game last night. What is shocking is how short it is the second time around when you know what you are doing. I was able to get all the way to the sewers in about an hour or so and that includes beating the hydra and havel and only dying once because i fell.

'STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
'IvanKaramazov said:
The Master Key
No one answered my question from before but this seems like the best gift to take at the start of the game. Would you guys who have played it agree?

Ok I am happily dieing my way through the early part of the game in Undead Berg, after wasting too much time in New Londo Ruins before I read online I can't kill the ghosts there yet.

Anyway, while working through Undead Berg, I noticed my Estus Flask max dropped from ten down to five. What did I do to cause this and what can I do to get it back to ten?

Well I have completed my run through this game.

About 135 hours, a little over two complete sweeps of the game, 97% done on trophy's. Only missed the weapons trophy.

Very very good game. Litterally impossible to play with out a guide though.

I just picked this back up.

I'm so lost I may ave to restart.
Loved this game but only made it 3/4 through on my second play through. I knew I was taking it a bit too seriously when I yelled at my wife to quit talking to me when I was fighting a ### #### boss!

This game is hard. Even though I enjoyed the beginning of it, I got frustrated quickly, and distracted with something else.

I'll probably have to start from the beginning again when I go back to it. Feels like it will take a TON of practice to be able to progress at a reasonable pace. Any suggestions for the most noob friendly class?

Worm said:
This game is hard. Even though I enjoyed the beginning of it, I got frustrated quickly, and distracted with something else.

I'll probably have to start from the beginning again when I go back to it. Feels like it will take a TON of practice to be able to progress at a reasonable pace. Any suggestions for the most noob friendly class?
I played it legit the first time around so I'm having no qualms watching all the YouTube vids out there with hints/tactics. (Not walkthroughs)Apparently going pyromancer w/the master key is the most agreed upon class, with most people going high with high dex builds.

I'm about halfway through this little gem:

It's taken me a few hours just to refamiliarize myself with the areas and controls.

Finally got around to this. Not sure it's for me. Way too linear and repetitive. Pretty bummed as I was looking forward to it.

I played it legit the first time around so I'm having no qualms watching all the YouTube vids out there with hints/tactics. (Not walkthroughs)Apparently going pyromancer w/the master key is the most agreed upon class, with most people going high with high dex builds.

That video just reenforces how much I suck at games. It has been a while since I played but I bet it took me over 20 hours to do what he did in 10 minutes. The short cuts in the Catacombs were amazing.

Not really though. You have the appearance of being able to go anywhere. But go the wrong way and you get pwned.

To be fair he's mastered the game. I've probable put in 5 hours trying to replicate his run and have yet to be able to do it.

To be fair he's mastered the game. I've probable put in 5 hours trying to replicate his run and have yet to be able to do it.

Not really though. You have the appearance of being able to go anywhere. But go the wrong way and you get pwned.
Dark Souls is not open World but it is not really linear either. It is some strange hybrid. But even in a true Open World game you can easily wander into an area you are not strong enough for.

The distance between saves in this thing is crazy. Not even after a boss? Sheesh.

I've been playing this thing for 3 hours and I'm in the exact same spot I started. :bag:

I've been plugging away at this for a few hours a week. Funny - I've actually played a few times only because I hadn't played in about a week and I needed to make sure my skills stayed reletivly sharp. :)

I've reached Sen's Fortress. I made it all the way to the top where I could just see the giant (Golem?) who tosses the giant boulders. After peeking my head out I almost got killed by fire so I just ducked back in to a safe spot and like a moron - left my dude there sincey wife called for dinner.

As I'm finishing up dinner I hear the familiar sound of the blacksmiths hammer......Sunova ...... I got invaded while I was AFK. :bag: serves me right.

####### still love this game.

I've been plugging away at this for a few hours a week. Funny - I've actually played a few times only because I hadn't played in about a week and I needed to make sure my skills stayed reletivly sharp. :)

I've reached Sen's Fortress. I made it all the way to the top where I could just see the giant (Golem?) who tosses the giant boulders. After peeking my head out I almost got killed by fire so I just ducked back in to a safe spot and like a moron - left my dude there sincey wife called for dinner.

As I'm finishing up dinner I hear the familiar sound of the blacksmiths hammer......Sunova ...... I got invaded while I was AFK. :bag: serves me right.

####### still love this game.
I am getting Dark Souls and Demon Souls confused in my memory. Can you just play this offline to avoid the invasions? Seem to remember doing that on at least one of those awesome games.

Just started this bad boy today. Only gave it 30 to 40 minutes, stopping just short of the first boss fight. My biggest issue with the game is the lack of a good tutorial. Yes, it told me how to step back, etc. But it didn't tell me how to equip the axe and shield, or how to actually use a Eustus Flask. I only died once. Had I known how to use the flask, I would not have died at all. So I had to leave the game and hit the web. That said, even though I know I am only playing a little bit of the intro, I must say I do like it. A nice change of pace after so much LOU and Lara Croft type games.

Just started this bad boy today. Only gave it 30 to 40 minutes, stopping just short of the first boss fight. My biggest issue with the game is the lack of a good tutorial. Yes, it told me how to step back, etc. But it didn't tell me how to equip the axe and shield, or how to actually use a Eustus Flask. I only died once. Had I known how to use the flask, I would not have died at all. So I had to leave the game and hit the web. That said, even though I know I am only playing a little bit of the intro, I must say I do like it. A nice change of pace after so much LOU and Lara Croft type games.
Keep the wikia handy. You will refer to it a ton while you are playing. The game almost revels in how little info it gives. Wait until you try and figure out where to go in the early game :) . Walk 10 seconds in the wrong direction and you will know it quickly.

Keep the wikia handy. You will refer to it a ton while you are playing. The game almost revels in how little info it gives. Wait until you try and figure out where to go in the early game :) . Walk 10 seconds in the wrong direction and you will know it quickly.
Bookmarked. But when do I get to start firing off some fireballs??? I picked a pyro. I want to ignite some ####!!!

Bookmarked. But when do I get to start firing off some fireballs??? I picked a pyro. I want to ignite some ####!!!
You have to equip that fireball/hand thing like you would a sword.There are catalysts and spells. Catalysts are essentially magic wands which need to be equipped like a sword would.

Your magic gets refreshed at the campfire .

IIRC. Sorcery is INT

I think pyro - you just level up the catalyst.

After reading how a pyromancer was overpowered I never played a magic caster so I'm sure others will add more hints.

ETA - In an attempt to not sound like a cocky ###- it would only be overpowered to a seasoned veteran and I wish I went the caster rout my first play through.

It has been a long time since I played but if memory serves, you can use Fireball at the start with a Pyromancer as you get the spell automatically.

See if this youtube video helps. It explains how to equip and use spells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-69NFlvmC78

Yep, that was it. Had to equip the pimp flame hand. Once again, would have been nice had the tutorial clued you in. I went back and, with use of the spell, was able to clear out the enemies in about three seconds flat. I guess the danger of it is, if I rely on it, I could see my melee skills never developing. So maybe it was good I didn't realize how to use it initially. It forced me to block and use my axe to dispatch those enemies. So I can use my melee weapon to get to the boss battle and then fireball his butt.

So this isn't a game I can play 1 hour or so at a time?
I played 33 minutes according to my save game. Not sure how far it is between bonfires as you move through the game though. But you can leave at any time I believe. You just may have to restart a level when you come back.

So if I don't log in to PSN, can I become human or whatever without having to worry about being invaded? Or can you not do that? Do I want to become human, or just stay as an undead? I do NOT want to spend ANY time invading or being invaded.

So if I don't log in to PSN, can I become human or whatever without having to worry about being invaded? Or can you not do that? Do I want to become human, or just stay as an undead? I do NOT want to spend ANY time invading or being invaded.
Just play offline (don't sign in). Then there is no way to invade or be invaded. There are other features that you lose by doing this (blood stains, messages etc). I played the vast majority of the game offline if memory serves.

Users who are viewing this thread